ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Football's Future If the Players Win by Roger Goodell (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244358)

dirk digler 04-26-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 7592371)
Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder prove that all you really need is the money.

Rush Limbaugh had money...:hmmm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7592376)
:facepalm:

Split that hair a little thinner next time.

I will as long as you keep saying anyone can be an owner. You should change that to any of the 400 billionares in the USA can buy a NFL team

vailpass 04-26-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7592278)
We are used to this standard of play in the NFL. Putting substandard players in isnt NFL level of play.

99.9 % of current NFL players would still play no matter the outcome of the current situation.
It is sheer fallacy to assume that the league would have to start over.
What else can the vast majority of the players do to earn an income within 3 tax brackets of pro football?

milkman 04-26-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7592396)
Rush Limbaugh had money...:hmmm:

I will as long as you keep saying anyone can be an owner. You should change that to any of the 400 billionares in the USA can buy a NFL team

I don't think he had the kind of money that Jones and Snyder have, and that there was concern that he couldn't maintain the team with his resourses.

patteeu 04-26-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7592247)
No. Anyone can 'Own' an NFL franchise. Not many can play football at the level of an NFL player.

There are a lot more people who have played in the NFL than who have owned NFL teams.

Bowser 04-26-2011 11:58 AM

One thing to remember -

The owners were the ones that opted out of the CBA. The owners were the ones that thought they could reform the league to their liking. The owners were the ones who lost in court.

The owners are the ones that brought this mess down on the league, not the players.

BigMeatballDave 04-26-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7592406)
There are a lot more people who have played in the NFL than who have owned NFL teams.

More hair splitting...

patteeu 04-26-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 7592249)
No, you're talking about trying to maintain the popularity, and by extension, the profits, by replacing every single player with new players in one fell swoop.

It just won't happen.

People will tune out, and it could take years, possibly decades, to regain the popularity that the NFL enjoys now.

The players are absolutely replacable, but at an exorbitant cost.

I agree that the cost would be very high. The cost to the players would be permanent though. The veterans who have already made the majority of their money wouldn't be hurt too bad, but the younger and less well paid players would lose bigtime (and in fact might decide to rejoin the NFL on the owners' terms). The question was whether the owners or the players are the most important component of the NFL's success and I think the obvious answer is the owners.

Brock 04-26-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7592416)
One thing to remember -

The owners were the ones that opted out of the CBA. The owners were the ones that thought they could reform the league to their liking. The owners were the ones who lost in court.

The owners are the ones that brought this mess down on the league, not the players.

We're gonna take our league back!!!

BigMeatballDave 04-26-2011 12:00 PM

I have to assume now that Patt is being intentionally obtuse.

Bowser 04-26-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7592422)
The question was whether the owners or the players are the most important component of the NFL's success and I think the obvious answer is the owners.

I think tk13 is right. You just argue for the sake of arguing. I'm sure JD and Amnorix flock to Foxboro just for a hope of catching a glimpse of Robert Kraft.

patteeu 04-26-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7592416)
One thing to remember -

Opting out of the CBA was a negotiated right.

The players were the ones who disolved their union.

The court battle is still in question, but even if the players win, it's not clear that it's a win for the majority of the players.

milkman 04-26-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7592422)
I agree that the cost would be very high. The cost to the players would be permanent though. The veterans who have already made the majority of their money wouldn't be hurt too bad, but the younger and less well paid players would lose bigtime (and in fact might decide to rejoin the NFL on the owners' terms). The question was whether the owners or the players are the most important component of the NFL's success and I think the obvious answer is the owners.

The question is, how many of these owners would still be owners when, and if, the league ever reached the same level of popularity and prosperity?

And the fact is, many of these owner had no role in creating the foundation that has brought the league to this level.

And these owners that had nothing to do with that are the ones that are trying to change the system that created this cash cow.

BigMeatballDave 04-26-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7592431)
Opting out of the CBA was a negotiated right.

The court battle is still in question, but even if the players win, it's not clear that it's a win for the majority of the players.

ROFL Go away. You're not even serious about this.

patteeu 04-26-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7592425)
I have to assume now that Patt is being intentionally obtuse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7592429)
I think tk13 is right. You just argue for the sake of arguing. I'm sure JD and Amnorix flock to Foxboro just for a hope of catching a glimpse of Robert Kraft.

How can JD and Amnorix possibly enjoy a patriot's game now that Drew Bledsoe and Ty Law are gone? NFL fans root for uniforms. The players in the uniforms come and go. If the Patriots trade Tom Brady and Matt Light to the Chiefs for Matt Cassel and Branden Albert, do you think JD and Amnorix are going to switch allegiance to the Chiefs or are they going to stick with their hometown team and hope they can recover from such a questionable trade?

BigMeatballDave 04-26-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7592431)

They did that because they were locked out.