ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc Miami booster scandal, with Frank Haith mentioned. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=248568)

BryanBusby 08-17-2011 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7830739)
Wow - that's a hell of a matchup right there.

What do you even call that mess?

The Ineligibowl

chiefzilla1501 08-17-2011 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negreppedson (Post 7830761)
I know it's like real journalism on the internet.

So different from the twitter driven idiots that I don't pay attention to anymore.

Espn is embarrassing. They've made every Ohio state story front page news. Even tressels salary. But this falls under the radar.

Espn needs to be less transparent about teams they love and hate. I lost all respect for them when they pulled a story because it castes or lebron in a bad light.

Al Bundy 08-17-2011 05:55 AM

Sounds like the scUM booster knew he was doing everything illegal and was prepared to go down.

blaise 08-17-2011 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7830938)
Espn is embarrassing. They've made every Ohio state story front page news. Even tressels salary. But this falls under the radar.

Espn needs to be less transparent about teams they love and hate. I lost all respect for them when they pulled a story because it castes or lebron in a bad light.

I think they just try and wait so they can get around crediting other media. They had to post the Miami story, and they had to credit yahoo, but they didn't have anything about Haith last night (I don't think).
What they do a lot of the time is wait until one of their guys gets some "new" information and then they'll say, "ESPN's Andy Katz confirms reports that......." or "According to ESPN's Andy Katz.." and they'll use some new quote from a player or coach. Then, if they have to, they'll bury the initial source way down in their article.
They do it all the time in football. Always, "ESPN's Chris Mortensen confirms reports that..." on a story Jay Glazer or someone else broke.

chiefzilla1501 08-17-2011 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7830952)
I think they just try and wait so they can get around crediting other media. They had to post the Miami story, and they had to credit yahoo, but they didn't have anything about Haith last night (I don't think).
What they do a lot of the time is wait until one of their guys gets some "new" information and then they'll say, "ESPN's Andy Katz confirms reports that......." or "According to ESPN's Andy Katz.." and they'll use some new quote from a player or coach. Then, if they have to, they'll bury the initial source way down in their article.
They do it all the time in football. Always, "ESPN's Chris Mortensen confirms reports that..." on a story Jay Glazer or someone else broke.

Since the Oregon story's hit, I don't think it's ever once made even the top link on the headline page. And the LeBron story was most definitely posted on ESPN and then mysteriously pulled a half-day later. ARod takes steroids and there's front page coverage every single day. Ortiz is accused of steroids, and ESPN barely mentions it.

ESPN is the FoxNews of journalism. They pick who they like. But if they don't like you, you become the villain.

blaise 08-17-2011 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7830953)
Since the Oregon story's hit, I don't think it's ever once made even the top link on the headline page. And the LeBron story was most definitely posted on ESPN and then mysteriously pulled a half-day later. ARod takes steroids and there's front page coverage every single day. Ortiz is accused of steroids, and ESPN barely mentions it.

ESPN is the FoxNews of journalism. They pick who they like. But if they don't like you, you become the villain.

I think they're more of the People magazine of journalism.

WilliamTheIrish 08-17-2011 06:13 AM

Back to the subject at hand:

Haith was hired more out of desperation due to the Painter situation.

By hook or by crook, secure the recruiting class to the best of your ability.

Interim coach X.

Fire Haith.

Alden? What can I say? AD's in these two states seem to the dumbest in all of college sports.

Look for new hire in spring of '12.

Saulbadguy 08-17-2011 06:43 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure about this falling under the radar. I listened to ESPN Radio last night and this morning, and this is nearly all they've talked about.

the Talking Can 08-17-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

this has top news at espn all day....top mention on every bump, top subject on Mike and Mike...

Ohio St. fans are idiots

dirk digler 08-17-2011 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 7830896)
You absolutely have to fire Frank Haith for this, and Mike Alden for such a pathetic lack of due diligence.

Agree. What an embarrassment.

kepp 08-17-2011 07:20 AM

Let me get this straight. Haith had access to $900 million and still couldn't get a winning record?

Bambi 08-17-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 7831001)
Let me get this straight. Haith had access to $900 million and still couldn't get a winning record?

Strippers are expensive.

kepp 08-17-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negreppedson (Post 7831010)
Strippers are expensive.

Technically, most of that money probably went back into UM's pockets in the form of tuition for those poor girls.

eazyb81 08-17-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Brasky (Post 7830909)
I'm just trying to figure out who in the world is going to replace frank haith this close to the season.

New assistant Tim Fuller, then spend all season carefully analyzing and interviewing potential new coaches rather than rushing to hire a new permanent one now.

OnTheWarpath15 08-17-2011 12:29 PM

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...a4bcf6878.html

Quote:

While much remains to be understood and determined about issues surrounding Mizzou basketball coach Frank Haith's relationship with suddenly infamous Miami booster Nevin Shapiro when Haith was coaching the Hurricanes, Mizzou also must assess what to do with Haith.

It can take on faith that Haith was not entwined inappropriately with Shapiro, who said Haith was aware of a $10,000 payment to a recruit in an exhaustive Yahoo! Sports report released Tuesday, and not act.

It could wait to take action based on what is determined by NCAA investigators, with whom Haith says he will cooperate in hopes of prompt resolution.

It could consider putting Haith on administrative leave until the NCAA resolves the matter.

It also apparently could consider firing Haith, according to the terms of his contract signed in the spring.

Under the category "Termination For Cause," the contract stipulates Mizzou "shall have the right to terminate the Contract for Employment" for "any behavior of the employee that brings him into public disrepute, contempt, scandal or ridicule or any behavior that is unfavorable to the reputation or moral or ethical standards of the University."

Specifically, the contract accounts for rules violations that "in the sole judgment of the University, reflect adversely" on it, including "any violation which occurred during prior employment of the Employee at another NCAA member institution."

Among other questions facing Mizzou now:

Considering the NCAA and Miami each have known about allegations surrounding the program for more than a year, why was MU evidently unaware of the looming allegations? Did the NCAA , Miami or, in fact, Haith not inform MU of information it should have?

And how will Mizzou's considerable recruiting needs suffer from a shadow that will hover over the program until the matter is reconciled?

MU declined comment as of Wednesday morning.