ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trailer for Ridley Scott's Alien prequel leaked (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252986)

Deberg_1990 05-29-2012 01:04 PM

So i guess it opens tomorrow in France some reviews are out.

Some French to English translations using Google translator:

Prometheus ?: long and boring, with all the clichés of science fiction scenario in which an ultra-awaited effort and credibility. big disappointment

In terms of pure SF - aesthetic inventiveness, references to the classics - # Prometheus is a real success

Prometheus Finally a great science fiction film, the first for some time (Moon? District 9?)

http://www.prometheusforum.net/discu...ce-spoilers/p1

siberian khatru 05-29-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8645196)
So i guess it opens tomorrow in France some reviews are out.

Some French to English translations using Google translator:

Prometheus ?: long and boring, with all the clichés of science fiction scenario in which an ultra-awaited effort and credibility. big disappointment

In terms of pure SF - aesthetic inventiveness, references to the classics - # Prometheus is a real success

Prometheus Finally a great science fiction film, the first for some time (Moon? District 9?)

http://www.prometheusforum.net/discu...ce-spoilers/p1

"Prometheus would benefit from the presence of Jerry Lewis."

keg in kc 05-29-2012 02:19 PM

We should start getting US reviews for it on Friday I think.

Sure-Oz 05-29-2012 08:30 PM

I'm really hoping this movie isn't a dissapointment

ThaVirus 05-29-2012 11:12 PM

Can't say I'm excited about this one. Are there going to be 'Aliens' in it or not?

Hammock Parties 05-29-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 8646335)
Can't say I'm excited about this one. Are there going to be 'Aliens' in it or not?

There's going to be weird creatures, and probably references to the classic xenomorph. I'd wager there will be at least one chestburster based on the fact it's a direct prequel to Alien.

Aspengc8 05-30-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satanic Goat (Post 8646352)
There's going to be weird creatures, and probably references to the classic xenomorph. I'd wager there will be at least one chestburster based on the fact it's a direct prequel to Alien.

Where did you hear that it was a direct prequel? Everything Ridley has said is that its a prequel to the "events" from Alien, but it is not the prequel.

JD10367 05-30-2012 07:27 AM

If the French hated it, it must be great.

L.A. Chieffan 05-30-2012 08:41 AM

At first i was like "meh", but know I'm like "sweet".

Brock 05-30-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 8646335)

No, just an indirect explanation of their origin.

Hammock Parties 05-30-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 8646555)
Where did you hear that it was a direct prequel? Everything Ridley has said is that its a prequel to the "events" from Alien, but it is not the prequel.

He said the last 30 minutes or so pretty much explain what happened in Alien. Like, how the space jockey got there.

ThaVirus 05-30-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8646823)
No, just an indirect explanation of their origin.

Hmmm, could be interesting. I do love me an origin story.

frankotank 05-30-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 8646555)

I read a Ridley interview. he said initially the project started out to be a pure prequel. then other things got in the way and it sat for years. he went back to it and decided that he wanted it be able to stand alone and apart from the Alien movies....but in his words "it shares DNA with the Alien series". it's going to be very interesting to see how he can pull that off. the space jockey was obviously "chest bursted" as clearly seen in Alien and Aliens the uncut version. the space jockey is alive and well in this movie as seen in the trailers. I......can't......wait! I'm stoked.

by the way......I LOVE it that some reviews are bad. I find that often times I really dig moview that critics hate.

frankotank 05-30-2012 12:21 PM

here's a good question. I have a hard time answering it.

which is the better movie? Alien or Aliens????

they are both so frigging AWESOME, yet they are so very very different. Alien is all about suspense and for the longest part of the movie imagination. Aliens is more in your face action. both have great story lines. part of me wants to go with Aliens because...it's just badass. but you just can't discount Alien, it too is badass, just in a different way. it's tough. push come to shove......I just can't decide.....

Huffmeister 05-30-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8647773)
here's a good question. I have a hard time answering it.

which is the better movie? Alien or Aliens????

they are both so frigging AWESOME, yet they are so very very different. Alien is all about suspense and for the longest part of the movie imagination. Aliens is more in your face action. both have great story lines. part of me wants to go with Aliens because...it's just badass. but you just can't discount Alien, it too is badass, just in a different way. it's tough. push come to shove......I just can't decide.....

Back in my younger years, I would have definitively said that Aliens is one of those rare occasions where the sequel is better than the original. It's got so many great elements. Space marines, pulse rifles, great characters, suspense, hordes of xenomorphs, memorable quotes, etc. Clearly a better movie than Alien (which I had only seen once around 7th or 8th grade).

Then several years ago I went back and watched Alien again. Holy crap, that's a great movie. I don't know what my younger self was thinking. Even when you know all about xenomorphs, it's still extremely intense and suspenseful. The cinematography is beautiful, and the acting is top-notch (anything with both Ian Holm and John Hurt has to be good). One of the few sci-fi films from that era that holds up today.

I'd have to call it a draw.