ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs So Cassel is clearly the wrong guy, but what should Pioli have done? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264907)

cdcox 10-09-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 8996549)
No, I'm not comparing Brees to Cassel. Cassel will NEVER be Brees. But that wasn't so clear after a very good 2010 season that Cassel had. Now that's clearly just a aberration.

But I'm pointing out how absurd it is to suggest cutting a guy who had 27 TDs and 7 INTs.

Cassel is a gigantic failure.

That's easy to say.

I think Pioli is on the edge of it, definitely. But I'm asking a simple question -- if his main sin is Cassel, then what realistic alternatives did he have? He correctly assessed, and rejected, Sanchez, which appears to have been the right move.

There were plenty of people who weren't high on Cassel when he came here and never bought into him in 2010. It's a lot about mechanics and understanding what makes a QB good. Cassel was going to have to be Brady-good or Montana-good between the ears to make his lack of physical talent work. Those guys got it right away. It was just a low probability bet, and he should know better.

Hammock Parties 10-09-2012 06:07 PM

Cincy is 3-2 with the 15th ranked ground game and 21st ranked defense.

But Dalton = Cassel.

http://i.imgur.com/kQHnc.gif

Rausch 10-09-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 8996780)

I would think a new GM would take a hard look at his fanbase before making any big decisions. Pioli should have known he was screwed with this fanbase if he brought in Cassel and didn't attempt to draft a franchise QB.

This.

Any hope things would be different was squashed when we once again traded for someone else's b/u and continued to strike and miss on highly drafted D lineman...

DJJasonp 10-09-2012 06:09 PM

a moment of honesty from Belichick?

“Some of the memories I have of Kevin, the one thing I’d say is the 2008 season is probably one that not many people realize what Kevin did for us that year. When Tom [Brady] got hurt in the opener against Kansas City, Matt Cassel came in as the quarterback but it wasn’t really Matt’s team. Ultimately Matt grew into the role of a great leader and quarterback that he was that season, but it didn’t really start that way. When Tom was out offensively, even as a team, we were kind of trying to find some leadership and some glue to hold the team together. That’s one of the many times – one of the many times – that we saw Kevin really come forward and be truly a leader of our football team in that season. He's the guy who kept the cohesion offensively, and ultimately Matt took over that role as a quarterback should. But Kevin was very instrumental in that.

Rausch 10-09-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8996742)
Overrated. Overrated. I was hoping Osweiler would have gotten a look but more in the 3rd round.

Dalton is Cassel, maybe just slightly better but not by much. He's not going to lead the Bengals anywhere.

:facepalm:

KC Jones 10-09-2012 06:21 PM

The trade for Cassel? - not a problem, seemed like a great move at the time.

Signing Cassel to that ridiculous contract before he ever played a snap?

That right there was the problem. He went all in before seeing the ****ing flop with a shit hand he hadn't even looked at! It's the reason he let Orton leave, and huge part of the reason we never brought in any real competition at QB.

Besides, I'm look at the Chiefs roster and seeing that our stars and the core of the team all came from the Peterson/Edwards drafts. Pioli's drafts are looking pretty weak so far.

Then you look at the 2 coaches he's picked...

He's good at managing the cap and finding bargain role players, but he's clearly not the football guy he thinks he is.

jd1020 10-09-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8996788)
Cincy is 3-2 with the 15th ranked ground game and 21st ranked defense.

But Dalton = Cassel.

http://i.imgur.com/kQHnc.gif

And he's still awful against good teams.

Sorter 10-09-2012 06:23 PM

The contract wasn't even a big problem for me. I would have gladly taken the cap hit if Pioli had admitted his mistake.

Hammock Parties 10-09-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8996828)

He's 21 games into his NFL career. LMAO

jd1020 10-09-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8996773)
You're a tard.

When has Cassel ever done this?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1301735/ajgreen.gif

Dalton is completing 66 percent of his passes this year.

COME ON, MAN.

Dalton has a better arm than Cassel, no doubt. He's still bad against good teams. He beat up Cleveland, Washington, and Jacksonville. Bring out the Lombardi!

Sorter 10-09-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8996828)

As a rookie, he lost 24-17 to Pitt, 24-31 at Balt, 20-19 against Houston, and 24-16 against Balt.

Cassel couldn't have as close of games against the ****ing Bills.

KC Jones 10-09-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8996830)
The contract wasn't even a big problem for me. I would have gladly taken the cap hit if Pioli had admitted his mistake.

... because of the contract he couldn't admit to the mistake. As long as he thought there was a chance Cassel could work out, he was going to stick with it.

Hammock Parties 10-09-2012 06:27 PM

Dalton is a young QB who is bad against good teams.

Cassel is an old QB who is bad against everyone.

jd1020, if you get a concussion, I will cheer.

jd1020 10-09-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 8996834)
He's 21 games into his NFL career. LMAO

And? Luck is 5 games into his.

Dalton is a game manager who is slightly better than Cassel.

Sorter 10-09-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 8996836)
Cassel couldn't have as close of games against the ****ing Bills.

2 years in a row, I might add.

Listen, I'm not saying that Dalton is Tom Brady. He is clearly, without a doubt an upgrade from Cassel and a better QB not even 2 full years in the NFL. If you don't agree that is fine but your opinion probably won't be valued here (which probably means little to nothing).