ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Goodell considering doing away with kickoffs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267426)

jAZ 12-06-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9185520)
:spock:

Probably because the KO return for TD is one of the most exciting plays.

Meh.

Spott 12-06-2012 06:48 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing the rule changed on blocked extra points where the team can run it back for a 2 point conversion. I know that doesn't happen often but that's one of the few college rules I like better than the NFL. I don't see any way they could get rid of kickoffs, though.

KurtCobain 12-06-2012 06:50 PM

I like the 4th and fifteen idea.

Sorter 12-06-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 9186278)
I like the 4th and fifteen idea.

http://chan.catiewayne.com/b/src/131545183587.gif

jAZ 12-06-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9185548)
Other than "it's always been this way", why does anybody care about tackling?

ROFL jaz

It's not like they are talking about getting rid of the forward pass. I don't know what the data shows, but I'm assuming this is linked to reducing the likelihood of a head injury.

If it is somehow an outsized contributor to head injuries, and they are giving serious consideration is eliminating it for that reason, then... ok. Fine.

Whatever the data says.

Again, it's largely a pointless play to begin with. You can make up the excitement gap in other ways, I'm certain.

They enthusiasm for the game would be just fine if they do this, I'm sure.

Frazod 12-06-2012 06:52 PM

I hate Goodell almost as much as I hate Pioli.

Brock 12-06-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9186284)
It's not like they are talking about getting rid of the forward pass. I don't know what the data shows, but I'm assuming this is linked to reducing the likelihood of a head injury.

If it is somehow an outsized contributor to head injuries, and they are giving serious consideration is eliminating it for that reason, then... ok. Fine.

Whatever the data says.

Again, it's largely a pointless play to begin with. You can make up the excitement gap in other ways, I'm certain.

They enthusiasm for the game would be just fine if they do this, I'm sure.

Yeah, sure. A pointless play, except some of the most memorable plays in NFL(and Chiefs) history were kickoff returns for touchdowns.

Jesus Christ, why do you even watch football?

notorious 12-06-2012 06:55 PM

4th and 15 would give the NFL more control of who wins games, if you are into conspiracy theories. :D

Spott 12-06-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9186290)
Yeah, sure. A pointless play, except some of the most memorable plays in NFL(and Chiefs) history were kickoff returns for touchdowns.

It was damn sure a good play for a few seasons with Dante Hall and Tamarick Vanover.

mcaj22 12-06-2012 06:55 PM

i hate greg schiano what a smelly turd

Chief Roundup 12-06-2012 06:58 PM

If this is about head injuries we just need to take away the helmets. No helmets, no one will be leading with thier head and so on.
OR they could just realize that FOOTBALL is a contact sport and that you cannot legislate contact out of the sport.

Gonzo 12-06-2012 06:59 PM

I think they should give the returner the ball at the goal line and make him return it every time. Touchbacks are for pussies.

Rain Man 12-06-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9185889)
If you have the "sidelines" in the middle then I think you have to rule out throws across the middle. Too much potential for interference. How about we make the area in the middle circular with a cirumference of 110 yards? The field itself could be 53.5 yards wide.This gives the middle spot a diameter of 35 yards. Eliminate the "sidelines" concept and rent ad space there instead. Allow signage below thirty inches in height. I like your "icing" rule. Say a pass can not circumvent an end zone at any time or it is an illegal "forward pass."

I'm not sure I'd go for a circular field. You need a straightaway for players to reach top speed.

Throwing across the infield might indeed cause interference. However, I don't think we could avoid it near the ends of the straightaways. If you have a guy accelerating around the curve of the end zone, passes are going to cut across the infield unless you actually block it with a net or something. I think you might have to allow passes across the infield for practical reasons, but perhaps they just can't be thrown to a point behind the line of scrimmage. So if you're at midfield, you can throw "deep" to a guy who runs 50 yards, turns the corner, and runs 40 yards back, but you can't throw deep to a guy who runs 50 yards, turns the corner, and runs 60 yards back.

jAZ 12-06-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9186290)

Yes, thank god for kickoffs, otherwise, I don't know why I'd watch football.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x0WYsKYy0ag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brock 12-06-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ (Post 9186320)
Yes, thank god for kickoffs, otherwise, I don't know why I'd watch football.

"Here is a refutation of what you said:"

*Shows a video that doesn't refute what I said* /jaz