ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop ****Official **** You Mike Mayock Thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270155)

htismaqe 02-18-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyFo18 (Post 9413112)
2007 - Russell, Quinn, Kolb, Beck, Stanton, Edwards, Stanback, Rowe, Troy Smith, Jordan Palmer, Tyler Thigpen, Matt Moore (UDFA)

There are people here that think we should TRADE for Kolb.

That being said, Matt Moore turned out to be the best QB in that class and went undrafted.

Another example of the failure of NFL front offices to correctly identify talent.

htismaqe 02-18-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyFo18 (Post 9413135)
Put it this way...My opinion has taken a complete 180 on what the Chiefs should do at #1. I was in the QB or bust mentality from the get-go. The more I watch film on these quarterback prospects though, I can't with 100% certainty say I would be ridiculously upset if we ended up with Joeckel or Star and Dysert/Nassib, especially given that we have a coach that I have the utmost confidence in to develop his own quarterback.

Geno definitely sticks out to me in terms of the top talent at the QB position in this draft, but I've finally come to the conclusion that I'm not going to panic if they don't go QB at #1. That's just me, and I want a stud QB as bad as the next person.

Dysert is 2-3 years away from being ready to play.

Nassib is basically Andy Dalton, and while that's probably "above average" that will never be GREAT. We need to be shooting for GREAT.

Joeckel and Star would be absolute WASTES of the only #1 overall pick in franchise history. Outside of off the field things like Joe Delaney or Derrick Thomas dying, it would be the biggest tragedy in team history.

PaulAllen 02-18-2013 04:43 PM

Guess what? If the qb busts at #1 we'll be in the perfect position to draft another one next year.

htismaqe 02-18-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulAllen (Post 9413142)
Guess what? If the qb busts at #1 we'll be in the perfect position to draft another one next year.

Sounds good to me.

Messier 02-18-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9413136)

That being said, Matt Moore turned out to be the best QB in that class and went undrafted.

Another example of the failure of NFL front offices to correctly identify talent.

Kolb was the most valuable, to which I credit Reid.

Bowser 02-18-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9413126)
Lets not get to outta control. Geno, Wilson, and Bark are good prospects. Thats about it.

Can't wait to see what Reid can do with a "good prospect" at quarterback.

RyFo18 02-18-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's necessarily identifying talent, so much of it has to do with scheme and how well these guys mature at the position AFTER college. There are so many unknowns. The draft is just as much a lottery as it is identifying talent.

htismaqe 02-18-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9413149)
Kolb was the most valuable, to which I credit Reid.

Credit Reid for what?

He drafted the guy and then thought so much of him that he shipped him out for picks.

I'd give Reid A LOT more credit if Kolb was the starter in Philly. Of course, if that were the case, Reid would still be coaching there.

Frosty 02-18-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9413107)
We already have a left tackle that fits what Reid wants to do.

As evidenced by the fact that Reid tried to trade up to get him in the draft.

Maybe Reid wanted Albert at Guard in '08. What then?

:evil:

Quote:

On ESPN, Jaws was really high on Moore. Everyone else was like "who?"

O.city 02-18-2013 04:49 PM

Yes, Reid is great at developing his QB's. I also want him to use his developmental skills on the guy with the highest upside. IF that be Geno, Wilson, or Barkley fine.

But I don't see it being, a guy like Glennon etc.

htismaqe 02-18-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyFo18 (Post 9413154)
I don't think it's necessarily identifying talent, so much of it has to do with scheme and how well these guys mature at the position AFTER college. There are so many unknowns. The draft is just as much a lottery as it is identifying talent.

Then why not play the ticket with the most chances to win?

If the draft is a "lottery" why draft a "pick 3" with a 1 in 10 chance of winning a free ticket when you can draft a "pick 5" with a 1 in 1000 chance of winning, even though the top prize is $25000?

If the draft is a lottery, playing it safe is the WORST possible course of action.

Messier 02-18-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9413146)
Sounds good to me.

And there's the difference between fans and GMs and coaches. They take a QB that busts, and it gets less and less likely they'll be around long enough to get it right. So they're more cautious than fans, for obvious reasons, and really want to get it right or not do it at all.

RunKC 02-18-2013 04:50 PM

Geno should have went to the Senior Bowl. If he did, he could have impressed and be our projected pick right now.

Bowser 02-18-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9413164)
Geno should have went to the Senior Bowl. If he did, he could have impressed and be our projected pick right now.

I'm not worried about that. In fact, as shitty as all the QB's played down there, he looks smart to not have gone.

He's going to throw at the combine. I expect he will help his cause susbstantially there.

O.city 02-18-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9413163)
And there's the difference between fans and GMs and coaches. They take a QB that busts, and it gets less and less likely they'll be around long enough to get it right. So they're more cautious than fans, for obvious reasons, and really want to get it right or not do it at all.

And thats a problem.

Get it right or not do it at all can make you too "scared" for lack of better word, to make the right choice.