ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Fox Fall 2013: Sleepy Hollow (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273051)

DaneMcCloud 09-18-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9990751)
I realize this seems like a tangent but my point is that I think they're getting creative because they know they have to in order to stay competitive. In the same light, some programs in recent years have tried varying their advertising format (with varied degrees of success). I think the major networks realize they have to adjust if they want to keep being the major networks. There's just too much out there to draw viewers away from them.

If they're competing with anyone, it's themselves.

Furthermore, would Fox have been wise to put Justified or Sons of Anarchy on Fox?

The answer is a staunch "No".

Those show wouldn't last a season (if that long) but on Fx, they not only have advertisers but monthly fees that help diffuse the cost of the show, which means that they don't need as much income from advertisers to survive.

keg in kc 09-18-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9990752)
There is still a large segment of our population that do not have basic cable, let alone premium cable, and an even larger segment that do have have Netflix or Amazon or any other streaming service.

I don't have netflix or amazon myself.

(Well, actually I do have amazon prime, but I don't use it.)

As far as basic cable goes, I believe the last number I heard was that more than 90% of the country pays for it now, according to Nielsen.
Quote:

Also, keep in mind that many of these other channels and options you speak of are owned by NBC/Universal, ABC/Disney, Fox and CBS/Paramount.

HBO, TNT, TBS, FX, FXX, Showtime, Cinemax, blah, blah, blah. These aren't independent entities. I think that the studios and programmers do a pretty damn good job of knowing what will work on Network vs. Cable.
I think this is probably area an where pre-existing bias makes discussion somewhat...difficult for you. (Not a criticism, just a statement.)

Frazod 09-18-2013 01:33 PM

Is Justified worth watching/catching up on?

keg in kc 09-18-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9990760)
If they're competing with anyone, it's themselves.

Furthermore, would Fox have been wise to put Justified or Sons of Anarchy on Fox?

The answer is a staunch "No".

Those show wouldn't last a season (if that long) but on Fx, they not only have advertisers but monthly fees that help diffuse the cost of the show, which means that they don't need as much income from advertisers to survive.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. I haven't said anything about putting Justified or Sons of Anarchy on Fox.

I would say that you can see the influence of those shows there, however.

Anyway, I need to get some sleep. I'm still up from Tuesday.

keg in kc 09-18-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9990769)

I think you'd love that show to death if you haven't seen it already. It starts out good and gets better season by season. Legitimately one of the best shows on any network. It's one of the few things I try to watch the night it airs.

Frazod 09-18-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9990785)
I think you'd love that show to death if you haven't seen it already. It starts out good and gets better season by season. Legitimately one of the best shows on any network.

I am a big fan of Olyphant. I just missed the beginning and after that didn't want to jump in watching and not know what was going on.

What's the show about?

Buehler445 09-18-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9990791)
I am a big fan of Olyphant. I just missed the beginning and after that didn't want to jump in watching and not know what was going on.

What's the show about?

Olyphant is a special agent that keeps smoking off perps. So they put him in bum **** nowhere where he is from to be a cop. Lots of crazy shit ensues. Pick it up. It's worth it.

keg in kc 09-18-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9990791)

What's the show about?

He's a US Marshall who as the show begins is working in miami, but due to a series of events ends up returning to his home county in Kentucky and working with the Marshall's there. It's basically Olyphant playing a western in modern day Kentucky, as a real throwback, shoot-first-ask-questions-later cowboy Marshall. Somewhat reminiscent of his role on Deadwood, but quite a bit different at the same time (still some simmering anger in the Raylen Givens character, but a lot more humor in his role than with Seth Bullock). He's tremendous in the role, and he's surrounded by a lot of great actors in supporting roles (including Walton Goggins, who was Shane Vendrell if you watched the Shield, sort of Olyphant's foil on Justified). Tons of great characters, and great season-long story arcs. I really can't think of anything I don't like about the show (which is saying something for me....).

DaneMcCloud 09-18-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9990769)

I think it's amazing. I watched the first three seasons on Amazon Prime, where it's free, in nine days.

I think you'd love it.

DaneMcCloud 09-18-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9990768)
I don't have netflix or amazon myself.

(Well, actually I do have amazon prime, but I don't use it.)

As far as basic cable goes, I believe the last number I heard was that more than 90% of the country pays for it now, according to Nielsen.I think this is probably area an where pre-existing bias makes discussion somewhat...difficult for you. (Not a criticism, just a statement.)

It has nothing to do with bias: Fox owns Fx, Time Warner owns TNT, TBS, HBO, Cinemax, the CW, Viacom owns CBS, Showtime, etc. and so on.

The main reason shows that are offered on those cable channels and not on "Free" network TV is that they only appeal to a certain demo and would not be profitable on Network.

A program like Dexter lasts eight seasons on Showtime but wouldn't last a season on network. That list isn't endless but it's quite long.

Frazod 09-18-2013 01:59 PM

Okay, you've all sold me. I'll check out Justified.

Buehler445 09-18-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9990839)

It's on Amazon Prime.

Bowser 09-18-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9990839)

Yes, do that. Fantastic show from the first. Like any show, it has its lags, but it gets better and better with time. Excellent writing and acting. Definitely one of my favorites going right now.

DaneMcCloud 09-18-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9990849)
Yes, do that. Fantastic show from the first. Like any show, it has its lags, but it gets better and better with time. Excellent writing and acting. Definitely one of my favorites going right now.

I thought season one had a few bumps but season two and three were insanely good. I haven't watched season four because its not on Prime yet and I missed the broadcast on Fx.

But the DVR is set when it's in repeats.

keg in kc 09-18-2013 02:15 PM

I thought season 4 continued the general uptick in quality that seasons 2 and 3 had.