ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto -- My car's timing chain snapped two weeks ago (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274446)

Bugeater 07-11-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9805471)
Mustang! The favorite car of secretaries and teen-aged girls since 1979.

http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1...3_00001_01.jpg

Oh - hi Flopnuts! :)

The six cylinder models with automatic transmissions were the ones made for girls. I'd gladly take a late 80s LX 5.0 4 speed any day of the week.

Aspengc8 07-11-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9805967)
I like that mustang Floppy - really I do. I'm not huge into Domestic cars, and I know that's terrible and I'll probably rest in a bathtub of acid in hell, for it. But that black one sure is pretty.

I hadn't planned on posting a photo of my replacement car - believe me I'm not bragging, it has 80k miles on it - I put 8k down toward it - my payments are cake and I'm only paying on it for 36mos. However is really is super fast. But i'm still an Audi guy through and though.

The dealer DID warn me about the timing chain maintenance, however I was warned while going through my divorce - so I think I just put my hand in the air and made the 'pfft' noise and motioned the 'get outta here' waive off, at that time.

What a huge life lesson though. The Audi did have nicer interior.

I'll need to do some updates to the Navi and electronics. My buddy has owned six BMW's prior to his interests in Mercedes V12's - he has two tracked Supra's that both have almost 900 hp - no joking.

Anyhow - Clark says w/ one simple ECU tune - I'll achieve 400hp - i'm not sure if i'll do it yet, or not - it's really fast untouched. Don't let the 300hp fool you on these 335i's - the twin turbo is how you get your boost and it won't really meter out or truly represent itself on an HP measurement.

Be careful if you flash your ECU for a tune. Every time its flashed the serial # increments by 1 and the deals check that shit anytime you bring it in.

Ace Gunner 07-11-2013 07:59 PM

imo the only alternative to replacing the engine is replacing the timing chain and that is going to cost more than a grand i'm guessing, but it may not fix bent valves, which is an expensive teardown. most guys will just get you a new/remanufactured set of heads.

now you're approaching the cost of replacing the engine in the first place.

Ace Gunner 07-11-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9806044)
The car was almost identical to this one.

http://www.sbcc.ca/GalleryPhotos/Derrick76Midget.jpg

ya, those were cool. loved the tr6's, like the tr4's too -- I owned one for a few years. it beat the hell outta me, but it always caught the ladies.

Dartgod 07-11-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9805904)
Surely you know the joke about why Englishmen drink warm beer, right?

I knew the answer to this one immediately.

I worked in an auto parts store in the 80's that specialized in British car parts. I hated that job and all British cars. What pieces of shit.

Psyko Tek 07-11-2013 11:12 PM

red so sorry google is broken
or maybe the audi site

but thanks for the fashion advice

wtf dood look it up

Simply Red 07-12-2013 12:30 AM

I know - **** i research all day - i just was asking opinions or what the best option might be. - I know how to research - it's all I do daily is research. Give me a break.

MahiMike 07-12-2013 12:31 AM

I thought German cars had metal timing chains? The Jap cars all are plastic and go out around 100K. Depending on the car it can do a lot of damage. I had my Tundra changed around 90K but my BMW has 120K with no issues...knock on wood.

Simply Red 07-12-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9806816)
I thought German cars had metal timing chains? The Jap cars all are plastic and go out around 100K. Depending on the car it can do a lot of damage. I had my Tundra changed around 90K but my BMW has 120K with no issues...knock on wood.

they are metal mike - but they somehow STILL can snap or get kinked (unsure of the correct term)

HonestChieffan 07-12-2013 05:52 AM

Audi. Summed that up.

Radar Chief 07-12-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 9806571)
I knew the answer to this one immediately.

I worked in an auto parts store in the 80's that specialized in British car parts. I hated that job and all British cars. What pieces of shit.

Victoria British in Lenexa?
That's where I used to get parts.

Radar Chief 07-12-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9805986)
Too low. She felt like she was going to get run over. Not very logical but it is my mom were are talking about here. :doh!:

That's actually understandable, they do sit really low.
Sitting in my Spitfire I could, without lifting my bum from the seat, reach out of the window and just barely touch the ground.

Dartgod 07-12-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9806876)
Victoria British in Lenexa?
That's where I used to get parts.

No it was in Shawnee, on 63rd St. I forget the name, Parts Stop maybe? This asshole named Frank owned it. He had another store on Broadway, near Westport.

He threw me under the bus one day when some guy came in to pick up a part that he was supposed to order. Chewed me out right in front of the customer. I woke up one Saturday and decided I didn't want to work there anymore. I didn't call or anything.

Simply Red 07-12-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 9806875)
Audi. Summed that up.

They knew exactly what they were doing. :D

SAUTO 07-12-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9804687)
the way I understand it is - it's like a bike-chain that snakes throughout the center of the motor and it's tension mends (for lack of a better word) the engine's components together - when it snaps - the engine inners under fold - pardon my n00b terminology, I'm just doing the best I can w/ the lingo. Jason Sauto should show up soon, i'm hoping.

damn dude, sorry I've been terribly busy with life and missed the thread. Let me read on through it and see if its all been covered.
Posted via Mobile Device