ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Breaking Bad (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204659)

KC_Connection 05-12-2012 03:26 PM

In the beginning, Walt also started out as someone we were supposed to root for, sort of a regular everyman who got caught up in some bad shit. He's transitioned into becoming this morally corrupt bad guy over the four seasons, making the audience's relationship with him quite complicated.

Reaper16 05-12-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8610761)
Not really. This isn't real life. There are tons of movies and tv show where the audience is supposed to root for the bad guy. It has nothing to do with being morally troubled or anything like that.

And plus, this isn't the case. I don't want Walt to get caught because I'd rather him have a showdown vs. Jesse.

BTW, when Walt was driving Hank to the meth lab (when Walt crashed the car), were you cheering for Walt to get caught then?

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8610762)
This. It's not real life. We're trying to get the most entertainment possible and if that means that Walt doesn't get caught, then I don't want him to get caught.

I think you are bad at understanding how fiction works (valuing "entertainment" over any sort of artistic concern). But you also raise some good points, so let me clarify my position:

As a human being, you should think that Walt deserves to be stopped. Whether Hank (a good man and good cop who has been put through the ****ing wringer by that triad of Don Eladio's cartel & Gus & Walt) puts an end to Walt or whether Jessie (who is not so good a person, but has also been put into a situation he never asked for because of Walt, and who has certainly had extreme emotional suffering because of Walt) puts an end to Walt doesn't matter so much as the end happens. Both deserve to be the guy that stops Walt, but likely only one of them will.

I wasn't "cheering" for Hank to catch Walt in that season 4 scene. I willingly go where the show wants to go. I was too caught up in the tension of the scene -- the possibility that Walt would get found out right then and there -- to want the scene to turn out a certain way.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-12-2012 04:22 PM

Heh, I knew King was going to get busted for being bad at watching TV by Roger Siskel ROFL

KcMizzou 05-12-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8610908)
Heh, I knew King was going to get busted for being bad at watching TV by Roger Siskel ROFL

I think you mean Gene Ebert.

Reaper16 05-12-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8610908)

That's my name; don't wear it out.

Gonzo 05-12-2012 08:21 PM

The show is written so well that you can't help but to get sucked in to it. I root for Walt to succeed each week even though he is a morally corrupt individual now. He kills people with very little remorse as opposed to his views on murder in season one.
Look at what he did with Jessie's girlfriend... If he had saved her, Jessie would be out of his life, (Either dead or living in New Zeland).

notorious 05-12-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8611567)
Look at what he did with Jessie's girlfriend....

Top 3 scene in TV history. The acting without saying a single word was fantastic.

blaise 05-14-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8610733)
If you don't want Walt to get caught then you are sick, morally troubled person.

I don't want him to get caught. I know I should, but I don't.

But I think that's part of the greatness of the show (to me, at least). It's such great drama because there's so much conflict. You have the conflict between the characters- whether it be Jesse and Walt, Walt and his wife, Walt and Gus, etc., or the inner conflict each has. They each know they're doing wrong, but they make a choice to push that aside.
On top of that the viewer has conflict- they're asking you to become emotionally interested in bad people. I end up rooting for Jesse even though he's a meth manufacturing addict. I end up rooting for Walt even though he's a meth manufacturing habitual liar who has little regard for human life. I find myself being glad that Jesse's girlfriend is on her back on the bed. I end up rooting for Hank, even though him winning would mean Walt and Jesse most likely end up dead or in prison.
I look at it as if all the characters eventually break bad in their own way, and the viewer breaks bad in his own way because he's rooting for them. The viewer is like the characters. He's sort of saying to himself, "I really shouldn't be doing this (rooting for these guys) but I can't help it."
It really creates a steady stream of tension and conflict, which is just great.

Demonpenz 05-14-2012 10:59 AM

I am a sick morally troubles person. i edit my eminem albums so it's just the parts he is making fun of christopher reeves

Red Brooklyn 05-15-2012 08:08 PM

Season three, episode 10: Fly

One of the best 47 minutes of TV I've ever seen. Wow.

Buck 05-15-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8618209)

When you get a chance, go back and read this thread on the date it aired. Most polarizing episode of the series.

Red Brooklyn 05-15-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8618216)
When you get a chance, go back and read this thread on the date it aired. Most polarizing episode of the series.

Really?!

That's interesting. Yeah, I'll give it a read.

Buck 05-15-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 6786952)
The creative director of a Madison Avenue ad agency in the 1960s puts it in the butt of countless beautiful women. But he is haunted by his mysterious past...

LOL

Buck 05-15-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8618263)
Really?!

That's interesting. Yeah, I'll give it a read.

It aired on the same night as the Lost series finale. Just an interesting tidbit.

Reaper16 05-15-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8618209)

A lot of BB viewers hate that episode. But it's so ****ing fantastic.