ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith did, does, and will always suck. (part 2) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279640)

Mav 12-20-2013 12:32 PM

Not sure if posted, or talked about, but, for all the complaining about the number of yards the Chiefs offense gets, does anyone account for the lost offensive possessions due to special teams and defensive touchdowns?

And I pose that question because I just realized this.

The Chiefs have scored 399 points as a team.

That is good for 3rd in the league, behind only the donkeys, and the bears.

htismaqe 12-20-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10296646)
Not sure if posted, or talked about, but, for all the complaining about the number of yards the Chiefs offense gets, does anyone account for the lost offensive possessions due to special teams and defensive touchdowns?

And I pose that question because I just realized this.

The Chiefs have scored 399 points as a team.

That is good for 3rd in the league, behind only the donkeys, and the bears.

Well, do you want to talk about yardage or points?

The offense does miss out on opportunities to accumulate yards, not only due to lost possessions but due to possessions that start deep in the other team's side of the field. The defense and special teams are scoring but even moreso, they're giving the offense great field position.

The flip side of that coin, though, is that if the above is true, it's also likely true that the offense is accumulating points they wouldn't otherwise score...

OnTheWarpath15 12-20-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10296662)

The offense does miss out on opportunities to accumulate yards, not only due to lost possessions but due to possessions that start deep in the other team's side of the field. The defense and special teams are scoring but even moreso, they're giving the offense great field position.

The flip side of that coin, though, is that if the above is true, it's also likely true that the offense is accumulation points they wouldn't otherwise score...

This.

chiefzilla1501 12-20-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10296618)

Wow. Not to be confused with their sister Hujishima "Huji" Wrection

Mav 12-20-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10296662)

The flip side of that coin, though, is that if the above is true, it's also likely true that the offense is accumulating points they wouldn't otherwise score...

I agree. Hence why I said offensive POSSESSIONS, so, it could or couldn't of been a score.

I had this debate with a lot of people in 2011 when the 49ers had the best turnover differential, best starting field position in the league, and Andy Lee led the league in net for punters, and people were talking about the offensive production.

I don't know how you factor in that.

A team like the Chiefs who played small ball for 9 weeks, but regularly had the short field, has used the past 5 games as an offensive based attack to climb back in the rankings.

Its tough to judge.

htismaqe 12-20-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10296664)
This.

To the offense's credit, including Alex Smith and Andy Reid, they've done a very good job of turning short fields into points. Or at least it sure seems like they have.

In that way, it's different from the Marty years. I don't feel anymore like a 50-yard kickoff return is only good for 3 points at best. When this offense gets the ball on the opposing 40, they're going to score.

Mav 12-20-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10296664)
This.

I am not disagreeing with him.

Just stating that even with middle of the road offensive statistics the place they were in scoring shocked me.

Mav 12-20-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10296676)
To the offense's credit, including Alex Smith and Andy Reid, they've done a very good job of turning short fields into points. Or at least it sure seems like they have.

In that way, it's different from the Marty years. I don't feel anymore like a 50-yard kickoff return is only good for 3 points at best. When this offense gets the ball on the opposing 40, they're going to score.

The last two weeks I think I heard they turned 5 turnovers into touch downs?

That's STAGGERING.

htismaqe 12-20-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10296674)
I agree. Hence why I said offensive POSSESSIONS, so, it could or couldn't of been a score.

I had this debate with a lot of people in 2011 when the 49ers had the best turnover differential, best starting field position in the league, and Andy Lee led the league in net for punters, and people were talking about the offensive production.

I don't know how you factor in that.

A team like the Chiefs who played small ball for 9 weeks, but regularly had the short field, has used the past 5 games as an offensive based attack to climb back in the rankings.

Its tough to judge.

Don't judge. :D

Mav 12-20-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10296680)
Don't judge. :D

well, you are just no fun LMAO

The Franchise 12-20-2013 12:42 PM

Interesting drive stats. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/sta...vestatsoff2013

Our Drive Success Rate is 17th at 68%. Denver is 1st with 78%.
Average Points per Drive. We're 15th with 1.95 ppd. Denver is 1st with 2.98.
Average Starting Field Position. We're 1st with 33.42. Denver is 16th with 27.37.

htismaqe 12-20-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10296688)

Average Starting Field Position. We're 1st with 33.42. Denver is 16th with 27.37.

Well, we haven't been good until recently with starting drives deep in our territory. There's been a few gems but by and large, we were playing the short game. You can't successfully complete 14-play 80-yard drives when your offensive line averages a penalty every 8 plays or so. :D

OnTheWarpath15 12-20-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10296688)

Dammit, I had posted this a while back and couldn't remember which site I got it from.

Good find.

The Franchise 12-20-2013 12:47 PM

A couple more interesting stats.

Average lead at the beginning of the drive. KC is 3rd with 4.40. Denver is 4th with 3.39. The 49ers are first with 5.60.

htismaqe 12-20-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10296708)
A couple more interesting stats.

Average lead at the beginning of the drive. KC is 3rd with 4.40. Denver is 4th with 3.39. The 49ers are first with 5.60.

Not to be a total idiot, but explain. Do you mean how much they're up by?

Not sure what this actually means or how it's relevant.