ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Off Season Lets Talk Guns (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=240682)

Dunit35 10-05-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7970916)
It just depends on whether or not you plan on adding accessories to the hand guard or not. Even if you don't plan on it now, IMO it's better to get something with pit rails or the capability to add rails. It certainly won't hurt anything if you don't use them.

With the red dot/magnifier set up I have, I have to have a top rail.

I'm talking about adding a hogue grip replacement. Not on the handgaurd. my handguard now is just the basic gaurd which I won't change.

I've added a carry handle, carry handle rail, Ncstar 3-9x42 scope (which I've already mailed back to get fixed), and a bottom single handgaurd rail for a sling. Right now my set up will be no carry handle with scope only. The handle is only on when my wife wants to shoot. I'm not adding anything else but a possible grip replacment and engraved dust cover.

Frazod 10-05-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 7970980)
I'm talking about adding a hogue grip replacement. Not on the handgaurd. my handguard now is just the basic gaurd which I won't change.

I've added a carry handle, carry handle rail, Ncstar 3-9x42 scope (which I've already mailed back to get fixed), and a bottom single handgaurd rail for a sling. Right now my set up will be no carry handle with scope only. The handle is only on when my wife wants to shoot. I'm not adding anything else but a possible grip replacment and engraved dust cover.

Sorry, I was preoccupied with hand guards. I have a Hogue grip. It's nice.

Dunit35 10-05-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7971005)
Sorry, I was preoccupied with hand guards. I have a Hogue grip. It's nice.

Looks like you talked me into the hogue.

It's too bad my wife won't let me get the zombie dust cover.

Frazod 10-05-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 7971013)
Looks like you talked me into the hogue.

It's too bad my wife won't let me get the zombie dust cover.

It's $20 with shipping, dude. Time to make a stand. :harumph:

Dunit35 10-05-2011 09:19 PM

She thinks the zombie thing is gay. Even though she loves zombies.

Frazod 10-05-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 7971047)
She thinks the zombie thing is gay. Even though she loves zombies.

LMAO

I'd just order and install it and tell her to ****ing deal with it.

Of course, it sounds like your wife might kill you for it, so use your own discretion.

Raiderhater 10-05-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7969986)
I've got well over $1,000 in upgrades to the base rifle I started with, but I do it a little at a time. At this point I'm basically an upper receiver, lower receiver and barrel away from having enough parts to build another one. I'll probably do that at some point - I'd like to have a .762 as well as a .556.

Might as well. It's not like there is any such thing as too many guns.

Raiderhater 10-05-2011 11:12 PM

I've been searching other forums trying to decide on my lower and upper. On one forum the majority says go Armalite. Then try another forum and the majority says go DPMS. So I'll ask for opinions in this forum and see what kind of response I get.

Frazod 10-05-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 7971399)
I've been searching other forums trying to decide on my lower and upper. On one forum the majority says go Armalite. Then try another forum and the majority says go DPMS. So I'll ask for opinions in this forum and see what kind of response I get.

I've mentioned this before, but it's buried hundreds of posts ago - I was discussing my rifle (DMPS) with a retired cop and range master, and he said it was an excellent rifle for the money and that many cops he knew purchased them as personal weapons. I've probably run around 1,500 rounds through mine with no issues, other than one that was a direct result of my failure to properly install a replacement part.

Dunit35 10-06-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7971054)
LMAO

I'd just order and install it and tell her to ****ing deal with it.

Of course, it sounds like your wife might kill you for it, so use your own discretion.

Since the rifle is technically "ours" she gets a say in accessories as well. I play with it a lot more though. Crossed my mind to put some sort of quote or our last name on it.

Frazod 10-08-2011 06:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the new hand guard on. It rocks - much lighter than the old setup, and I really like the look of the rifle without the delta ring. Top rail is continuous now, and unlike before the slots in the rail line up from the upper to the hand guard.

I couple of other changes - I ditched the compensator and went back to a flash hider. The compensator looked cool, but ultimately it was another neat looking waste of money. There really wasn't any real difference in the kick, and it also made the gun ridiculously loud and very unpleasant for anybody shooting with me, as the cat-piss smelling gas would tended to blow right at anybody on either side of me every time I fired.

I also went back to the 2x screw in magnifier for the Lucid - now that I've got it dialed in, that should be sufficient at 100 yards.

teedubya 10-08-2011 07:51 PM

Damn, Frazod, that is a nice gun. You are ready for the Zombie apocalypse, it appears.

I picked up 2 surplus spam cans for my Mosin Nagant this week... a nice investment in lead, is always a good investment. lol

2bikemike 10-08-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 7971399)

Here is a good 4 part article on building a solid AR.

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/AR15_part1.asp

Frazod 10-08-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 7977521)
Damn, Frazod, that is a nice gun. You are ready for the Zombie apocalypse, it appears.

I picked up 2 surplus spam cans for my Mosin Nagant this week... a nice investment in lead, is always a good investment. lol

My buddy picked up an old Mosin Nagant for $100 at the gun store today - they've got a ton of them.

I'm thinking about getting one just for the hell of it at that price.

teedubya 10-08-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7977580)
My buddy picked up an old Mosin Nagant for $100 at the gun store today - they've got a ton of them.

I'm thinking about getting one just for the hell of it at that price.

The ammo was less than $200 for 880 rounds. That was a no-brainer for me.