ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Raiders Trade for Carson Palmer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=251389)

Titty Meat 10-21-2011 12:06 AM

Love how this is a breakout year for the Raiders and yet are only 1 game ahead of KC in the loss column. DOMINANCE.

BigMeatballDave 10-21-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8021354)
Love how this is a breakout year for the Raiders and yet are only 1 game ahead of KC in the loss column. DOMINANCE.

As much shit as these guys talked in this thread, you Know they won't be back if the Chiefs win.

R8RFAN 10-21-2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8021765)
As much shit as these guys talked in this thread, you Know they won't be back if the Chiefs win.

I will be here

BigMeatballDave 10-21-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8021880)
I will be here

So will UD. I'll be shocked if IPwnFools and Chronic come back.

SnakeXJones 10-21-2011 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8021900)
So will UD. I'll be shocked if IPwnFools and Chronic come back.

Both will be on suicide watch

bevischief 10-21-2011 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeXJones (Post 8022468)
Both will be on suicide watch

ROFL

SenselessChiefsFan 10-21-2011 05:05 AM

The worst part about this trade is that I originally was okay with a loss in Oakland. Yes, it would have been painful, but the chiefs aren't winning the Super Bowl this year, or even the West, or even the wild card, or even 8 games.

Anyhoo.... Now, with the Raiders giving up their first, I want to see the Raiders tank and end up with a higher pick than KC. Torn.

bevischief 10-21-2011 06:03 AM

http://www.bnd.com/2011/10/20/190907...e-raiders.html

Carson Palmer isn't a toy the Raiders should play with
By MARK PURDY - San Jose Mercury News
Bookmark and Share
email this story to a friend E-Mail print story Print
Text Size:

How can I say this forcefully enough? Maybe through multiple choice.

If the Raiders start Carson Palmer at quarterback Sunday, after just three days of practice, they would be:

A. Crazy.

B. Crazier than that.

C. Desperately premature.

D. Prematurely desperate.

E. Risking injury to their new most valuable asset.

F. Risking a greater chance of defeat, which ultimately trumps all of the above.

You will notice that, among the choices, the word "brilliant" is not listed.

Come Sunday, I realize that this could all be moot. Palmer's cleats may never touch the field at O.co Coliseum against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Yet as of Wednesday afternoon, barely 24 hours after Palmer joined the Raiders in a stunning trade with the Cincinnati Bengals, there were enough hints that he indeed will take snaps in the game. Perhaps even the first snap.

Most of those hints were contained in a Kansas City radio station interview with Al Saunders, the Raiders' offensive coordinator. The craggy Saunders, a San Jose State graduate and longtime NFL staffer, is generally a no-nonsense guy. But when he was asked by the radio hosts to describe what he needed to see out of Palmer to prove he was worthy of playing, Saunders tried to make a joke.

"As long as he's breathing," Saunders said to a laughing reaction.

As if to clarify, Saunders also said of Palmer's immediate starting chances: "It just depends on how quickly he feels comfortable in what we're doing, and that shouldn't take long."

Saunders is right. It shouldn't take long. But three days?

Palmer has not been in uniform since early January. But after eight seasons as a good and occasionally great NFL quarterback, he has not forgotten how to play the position. It's wishful thinking, though, to believe he needs just three days to digest the playbook before diving right into the zone-blitz mayhem. After such a long layoff? That's asking for ... well, something. Perhaps not trouble. But a potential minor or major traffic accident.

Learning a new NFL offense with a new team is not like learning a new route to the grocery store. It's more like entering a grocery store where all the groceries have labels in a foreign language and are in entirely different aisles.

And that doesn't even include the physical fitness part. Palmer said upon arrival in Oakland that he had thrown some passes during his down time but "not enough." Palmer also said that while he was in good shape, it wasn't the type of NFL shape that allows quarterbacks to pick themselves up after a big hit or long scramble and find enough quick oxygen to call the next play.

(Don't laugh. That's a major concern. Peyton Manning of the Colts, now on the disabled list, has been known to train in the offseason by jumping on a treadmill for hours and barking out football signals, to make sure he'll have the breath to do it in games.)

Raiders head coach Hue Jackson, who made the Palmer deal happen and crowed about it afterward, obviously worries about that, too. Jackson conceded as much after Wednesday's practice, in which Palmer took half the snaps with the No. 1 offensive unit. Jackson said that the critical thing was to gauge how Palmer feels Thursday morning, after he wakes up following his first strenuous football day in almost nine months.

"I'm in no rush," Jackson told reporters about making the Palmer decision.

Let's hope Jackson resists the temptation. The schedule, with the Raiders facing a bye week following Sunday's game, is timed almost perfectly for Palmer to gradually work into the starting job. He can practice this week before watching and taking notes this weekend. He can spend next week gearing up his fitness while memorizing the complete playbook. He can then go full-bore to prepare as a starter for the Nov. 6 game against Denver.

And what would be the big hairy problem with doing that? It merely means that serviceable Kyle Boller must start Sunday's game for the Raiders against a Chiefs team that has a 2-3 record, with the two victories coming by narrow margins over two of the league's worst outfits, Minnesota and Indianapolis. If the Chiefs can't be defeated with Boller at quarterback, the Raiders don't deserve a playoff spot, anyway.

I see such a downside if Palmer has to play all four quarters, so soon and so quickly. Too much could go wrong. I can see him, with way-too-rested muscles, pulling a hamstring or ripping a tendon in the second half because he's overdone it. At most, Jackson might install a small package of plays for Palmer and throw him out there for a series or two, so he can gradually grow accustomed again to NFL speed.

Otherwise? We all know the otherwise. Tossed right into the lineup, Palmer could be swallowed up in the pocket by the NFL speed (leading to sacks). The speed could also cause him to underreact by being just a touch slow on his passing motion (leading to interceptions) or overreact by accelerating his arm too quickly (leading to incompletions). And a loss would be likely.

Look, if Palmer is healthy, this trade was a good and strong move by the Raiders. But here is when they will most need him: In the two remaining San Diego games. In tough late-season matchups against Green Bay and Detroit. And with any luck, in the playoffs.

Sunday? Not so much. Even if Palmer does start against the Chiefs, isn't injured and the Raiders win, it won't change my opinion that the risk was too high. I understand why it could happen. When you get a new toy, the tendency is to peel off the wrapping right away and start playing with the darned thing.

Palmer isn't a toy, though. He is now the Raiders' most valuable asset. He doesn't need to be babied. But he does need more than three days.

\

bevischief 10-21-2011 06:19 AM

The Oakland Raiders had 10 players on Wednesday's injury report and this one now goes to 11 with K Sebastian Janikowski joining the injury report. Here's what the Raiders injury report looks like today:

Did not practice: QB Jason Campbell (collarbone, foot), RB Rock Cartwright (calf), CB Chimdi Chekwa (hamstring), CB Chris Johnson (groin, hamstring), LB Rolando McClain (ankle), RB Marcel Reece (ankle)

Limited practice: TE Richard Gordon (hand), S Michael Huff (ankle), K Sebastian Janikowski (left hamstring), C Samson Satele (ribs)

Full practice: TE Brandon Myers (ribs)

Raider9175 10-21-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 8022631)
http://www.bnd.com/2011/10/20/190907...e-raiders.html

Carson Palmer isn't a toy the Raiders should play with
By MARK PURDY - San Jose Mercury News
Bookmark and Share
email this story to a friend E-Mail print story Print
Text Size:

How can I say this forcefully enough? Maybe through multiple choice.

If the Raiders start Carson Palmer at quarterback Sunday, after just three days of practice, they would be:

A. Crazy.

B. Crazier than that.

C. Desperately premature.

D. Prematurely desperate.

E. Risking injury to their new most valuable asset.

F. Risking a greater chance of defeat, which ultimately trumps all of the above.

You will notice that, among the choices, the word "brilliant" is not listed.

Come Sunday, I realize that this could all be moot. Palmer's cleats may never touch the field at O.co Coliseum against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Yet as of Wednesday afternoon, barely 24 hours after Palmer joined the Raiders in a stunning trade with the Cincinnati Bengals, there were enough hints that he indeed will take snaps in the game. Perhaps even the first snap.

Most of those hints were contained in a Kansas City radio station interview with Al Saunders, the Raiders' offensive coordinator. The craggy Saunders, a San Jose State graduate and longtime NFL staffer, is generally a no-nonsense guy. But when he was asked by the radio hosts to describe what he needed to see out of Palmer to prove he was worthy of playing, Saunders tried to make a joke.

"As long as he's breathing," Saunders said to a laughing reaction.

As if to clarify, Saunders also said of Palmer's immediate starting chances: "It just depends on how quickly he feels comfortable in what we're doing, and that shouldn't take long."

Saunders is right. It shouldn't take long. But three days?

Palmer has not been in uniform since early January. But after eight seasons as a good and occasionally great NFL quarterback, he has not forgotten how to play the position. It's wishful thinking, though, to believe he needs just three days to digest the playbook before diving right into the zone-blitz mayhem. After such a long layoff? That's asking for ... well, something. Perhaps not trouble. But a potential minor or major traffic accident.

Learning a new NFL offense with a new team is not like learning a new route to the grocery store. It's more like entering a grocery store where all the groceries have labels in a foreign language and are in entirely different aisles.

And that doesn't even include the physical fitness part. Palmer said upon arrival in Oakland that he had thrown some passes during his down time but "not enough." Palmer also said that while he was in good shape, it wasn't the type of NFL shape that allows quarterbacks to pick themselves up after a big hit or long scramble and find enough quick oxygen to call the next play.

(Don't laugh. That's a major concern. Peyton Manning of the Colts, now on the disabled list, has been known to train in the offseason by jumping on a treadmill for hours and barking out football signals, to make sure he'll have the breath to do it in games.)

Raiders head coach Hue Jackson, who made the Palmer deal happen and crowed about it afterward, obviously worries about that, too. Jackson conceded as much after Wednesday's practice, in which Palmer took half the snaps with the No. 1 offensive unit. Jackson said that the critical thing was to gauge how Palmer feels Thursday morning, after he wakes up following his first strenuous football day in almost nine months.

"I'm in no rush," Jackson told reporters about making the Palmer decision.

Let's hope Jackson resists the temptation. The schedule, with the Raiders facing a bye week following Sunday's game, is timed almost perfectly for Palmer to gradually work into the starting job. He can practice this week before watching and taking notes this weekend. He can spend next week gearing up his fitness while memorizing the complete playbook. He can then go full-bore to prepare as a starter for the Nov. 6 game against Denver.

And what would be the big hairy problem with doing that? It merely means that serviceable Kyle Boller must start Sunday's game for the Raiders against a Chiefs team that has a 2-3 record, with the two victories coming by narrow margins over two of the league's worst outfits, Minnesota and Indianapolis. If the Chiefs can't be defeated with Boller at quarterback, the Raiders don't deserve a playoff spot, anyway.

I see such a downside if Palmer has to play all four quarters, so soon and so quickly. Too much could go wrong. I can see him, with way-too-rested muscles, pulling a hamstring or ripping a tendon in the second half because he's overdone it. At most, Jackson might install a small package of plays for Palmer and throw him out there for a series or two, so he can gradually grow accustomed again to NFL speed.

Otherwise? We all know the otherwise. Tossed right into the lineup, Palmer could be swallowed up in the pocket by the NFL speed (leading to sacks). The speed could also cause him to underreact by being just a touch slow on his passing motion (leading to interceptions) or overreact by accelerating his arm too quickly (leading to incompletions). And a loss would be likely.

Look, if Palmer is healthy, this trade was a good and strong move by the Raiders. But here is when they will most need him: In the two remaining San Diego games. In tough late-season matchups against Green Bay and Detroit. And with any luck, in the playoffs.

Sunday? Not so much. Even if Palmer does start against the Chiefs, isn't injured and the Raiders win, it won't change my opinion that the risk was too high. I understand why it could happen. When you get a new toy, the tendency is to peel off the wrapping right away and start playing with the darned thing.

Palmer isn't a toy, though. He is now the Raiders' most valuable asset. He doesn't need to be babied. But he does need more than three days.

\

carson Plamer isn't raiders most valueable asset . That would be darren Mcfadden. Who this offense still revolves around. Defintely number2.

Hue Jackson not going to do play Carson Plamer if hes not ready. Carson Palmer is very familiar with Hue jackson offense. He was Palmer OC and Qb coach at USC. The Bengals playbok isn't much diffrent than the raiders.
Just the verbage is diffrent.

I expect carson Palmer to start for the raiders. They are going to run the football alot and throw the passses that carson Plamer very comfortable making. I expect raiders to take alot of chances down the field. Jason Campbell strength was never the deep pass while Palmer can do that extremely well. (corect me if im wrong but aren't the chiefs giving up alot big plays down the field)

Hue Jackson is very good designing plays that put his Qb in very good position. Take last week Kyle boller missing bad wide open recievers all over the field. Hue Jackson Put Jacoby Ford in the backfield with D Mcfadden. The Browns defense didn't know what to do. They send Mcfadden and ford out of the backfield. The3 Browns have no answer as ford takes a dump off and has a very big gain.

MahiMike 10-21-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8013441)
I was alive when the Chiefs won theirs

Old fart.

Chronic 10-21-2011 06:47 AM

I wouldn't expect Palmer to have to do much against a very bad Chiefs defense

The Chiefs are 22nd vs the run, dead last in points per game giving up

The Raiders OL is tied for 1st in the NFL

They are #2 in rushing as a team and have the #1 rusher in McFadden

Oakland runs the ball more than any other team in the NFL.. They only throw the ball on average about 29 times a game, and about 15 of those are screens or dumpoffs

They'll dumb it down and just come straight at the Chiefs, its really all you need to do, I'd expect to see Bush get half the carries.. it'll be vanilla, not much motion etc.. They'll just beat the Chiefs up on the LOS, the Raiders are just to physical for the Chiefs to handle in the trenches

I'd venture to guess you'll see a couple deep passes to keep the Chiefs on their heels

Wouldn't be surprised if they go deep on the very 1st play

But those dig routes?, curls? naw.. you wont see much of those until Palmer and the WR's get their timing down, more than likely you'll see those plays come into the game plan after the bye which will give Palmer 2 weeks to get his timing down with the WR's

bevischief 10-21-2011 06:57 AM

Carson Palmer took big pay cut this year to join Raiders
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 20, 2011, 7:02 PM EDT
Carson Palmer AP

Carson Palmer wasn’t going to fit into the Raiders salary cap structure this year under his old salary.

We knew that his contract would have to be re-worked in some manner, and ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Palmer took a “flat $5 million pay cut” for 2011 to make it happen.

Schefter says Palmer will get $1 million added to his salary in 2012. $5 million of his $12.5 million salary next year is now guaranteed. We wonder if Palmer has a chance to make “back” more money in future years. If not, it shows how desperate he was to get out of Cincinnati now.

After all, taking a $5 million pay cut is still a lot better than making nothing the rest of the year.

UPDATE: Schefter reports Palmer will make $2.5 million the rest of the season. That’s a nice bargain financially in the short term for the Raiders. He was set to make $7.4 million on is prorated contract the rest of the season.

Palmer is due $40.5 million from 2012-2014.

Chronic 10-21-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 8022867)

Palmer is due $40.5 million from 2012-2014.

Thats simply not going to happen... The Raiders always restructure players contracts

Chiefnj2 10-21-2011 07:14 AM

Raiders are still 5-6 point favorites with Boller or a QB with 3 practices under his belt. Vegas doesn't think too much of KC's wins over winless teams.