ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Playstation 4 price and Xbox 720 is announced (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272150)

Anyong Bluth 01-11-2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10360640)
Can't see any college games being made anymore with the lawsuits.

If there was money to be made I am pretty sure that they'd find a way to keep making the games- even if it meant that the player rosters didn't resemble the actual players. There's also a good chance that someone out there would have custom made rosters that you could update to better reflect the actual guys and their attributes, jersey number, etc.

I just think that the lawsuits pushed the studios to drop them faster than they might have, but it was probably a certain eventually. I just think the licensing costs and the fact that there are competing professional versions for the nba and nfl cannibalized a good chunk of the market- as a fair number of people would likely pick up 1 or the other for CFB vs NFL & CBB vs NBA. Ultimately, I just think it wasn't a cash cow, they could devote development resources to 1 football and 1 basketball game better, and figured they'd not really lose a lot in profit because the people who would have bought the college versions would still want those sports titles and simply get the pro version.

007 01-11-2014 03:35 AM

I don't see why people care so much about whether the rosters are accurate to "real life" teams. If the game is good why does that even matter? Just take the player names out of the picture.

ragedogg69 01-11-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10360798)
There's also a good chance that someone out there would have custom made rosters that you could update to better reflect the actual guys and their attributes, jersey number, etc.

That is what the EA lawsuit was about. Half was the resemblance of players (ed o'bannon's lawsuit) and the other half was just the intention to have users edit players to be their real life counterpart. (Sam Keller's lawsuit)

Until the NCAA adopts an Olympic type of set up, (Endorsements: yes; Pay to play: no) we will not see another NCAA game. IMO

Anyong Bluth 01-11-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10361300)
That is what the EA lawsuit was about. Half was the resemblance of players (ed o'bannon's lawsuit) and the other half was just the intention to have users edit players to be their real life counterpart. (Sam Keller's lawsuit)

Until the NCAA adopts an Olympic type of set up, (Endorsements: yes; Pay to play: no) we will not see another NCAA game. IMO

They'd have a tough time claiming compensation simply for allowing players to edit their team- much different than EA setting it up themselves.

-King- 01-11-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10360871)
I don't see why people care so much about whether the rosters are accurate to "real life" teams. If the game is good why does that even matter? Just take the player names out of the picture.

Why would I want to buy a game just to play with a bunch of random create-a-characters? And how would team and player ratings be made?
Posted via Mobile Device

007 01-11-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10361980)
Why would I want to buy a game just to play with a bunch of random create-a-characters? And how would team and player ratings be made?
Posted via Mobile Device

same as they are now but without their ****ing names and likenesses.

aturnis 01-12-2014 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10361980)
Posted via Mobile Device

Isn't that what dynasty mode is? Why yes, yes it is.

aturnis 01-12-2014 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10361944)
They'd have a tough time claiming compensation simply for allowing players to edit their team- much different than EA setting it up themselves.

They'd have to go after individuals at that point...

Anyong Bluth 01-12-2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10363448)
They'd have to go after individuals at that point...

And what damages could they seek when it's simply a roster updated file being distributed for free. No monetary gain by the maker and then you start treading into artistic and creative license and free expression rights.

htismaqe 01-13-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10363570)
And what damages could they seek when it's simply a roster updated file being distributed for free. No monetary gain by the maker and then you start treading into artistic and creative license and free expression rights.

They wouldn't seek damages. Just cease and desist.

Anyong Bluth 01-13-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10366631)
They wouldn't seek damages. Just cease and desist.

... and probably be about as effective as stopping people from downloading music and movies.

That's assuming they can actually track down the source and locate him physically- not a lot of resources going to be devoted to a penniless venture. Maybe a distant 2nd behind OJ tracking down "the real killers."

mschiefs1984 01-14-2014 11:41 PM

There will be a MLB game for the xbox this year

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/14/531...ext-gen-mobile

New World Order 01-15-2014 03:02 AM

I wonder if that will be a real baseball sim or an arcade style game. Hopefully developers have been at work on this for awhile and we will see a good game.

Nice to see we might have another option other than The Show.

Anyong Bluth 01-15-2014 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mschiefs1984 (Post 10370834)
There will be a MLB game for the xbox this year

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/14/531...ext-gen-mobile

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 10370915)
I wonder if that will be a real baseball sim or an arcade style game. Hopefully developers have been at work on this for awhile and we will see a good game.

Nice to see we might have another option other than The Show.

RBI Baseball I would venture to guess is going to be sticking true to its roots and be an arcade style game. Plus, it's going to be multi-platform, including Android, iOS.

Quote:

R.B.I. Baseball returns this spring to consoles, phones and tablets

BY TIMOTHY J. SEPPALA JANUARY 15TH, 2014 AT 7:23AM ET

The MLB recently dropped a bombshell: One of the most beloved baseball games of all time, R.B.I. Baseball for the NES, is getting an update. It's coming to current and next-gen consoles in addition to mobile devices, and given the span of time between now and its vague

Spring 2014 release window, it being a downloadable arcade title seems likely. The game's webpage doesn't offer much by way of details, but according to Joystiq it's being developed internally by Major League Baseball Advanced Media -- the division responsible for WWE's streaming channel, MLB.tv and At Bat.

Sure, it probably won't stand toe-to-toe with Sony's MLB: The Show franchise, but, for non-PlayStation gamers it's the only real option for a virtual home run.

BigBeauford 01-15-2014 08:04 AM

I really enjoyed the shit out of The Bigs. Would love to see a next gen iteration of that.