ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

NewChief 09-16-2010 08:54 AM

Read Tales of the Madman Underground recently by John Barnes. Pretty good YA, though it's so gritty and dark (the ending is amazingly poignant, though), that it's only suitable for high schoolers.

I'm still recommending The Passage by Justin Cronin to all of you post-apoc/horror fans. It's freaking awesome.

Currently reading The Kids are All Right, which is the memoir the recent movie is based on. It's alright at this point. Not sure if I'll stick with it.

NewChief 09-16-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldandslow (Post 7009664)
NewPHin...

All I can say is thank you. WOW. And I HATE the Vampire Genre. For the most part, I think Anne Rice and her infantile, overly religious literary daughter, Stephanie Myer, did the world a great disservice.

But this book is golden.

Awesome. Glad you enjoyed it. It's almost a shame to throw the vampire label on this book... because it's such a departure from the neovampire bullshit as well as the traditional gothic vampire stuff.

NewChief 09-16-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldandslow (Post 7009670)
I also just finished the Girl who kicked the Hornet's nest. I felt it was the weakest of the trilogy, but all in all, I enjoyed Mr. Larsson's writing.

I tried to read Dragon Tattoo, and I just couldn't get into it. I probably need to give it another go, but there's just too much out there I want to read right now.

DaKCMan AP 09-16-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 6924788)
Finished The Authenticity Hoax: How We Get Lost Finding Ourselves by Andrew Potter last week.

Started Life Is What You Make It: Find Your Own Path to Fulfillment by Peter Buffett.

Still waiting to start The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life.

Finished the Peter Buffett book last month and started the Warren Buffett book.

Braincase 09-16-2010 09:11 AM

Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet Series - listening on audiobooks during my commute, well narrated, and unabridged. Into the 5th book of the series now, should be through book 6 by the end of next week. I'm on a bit of a military science fiction kick right now, so if anybody has any suggestion, I'm open.

Reaper16 09-16-2010 09:34 AM

Apart from dicktons of various essays, I've recently read or re-read:

Nella Larsen - Quicksand
Willa Cather - A Lost Lady
Mike Rose - Lives on the Boundary

I'm going to begin Christie Hodgen's new, acclaimed novel, Elegies for the Brokenhearted, tonight. KC represent!

Rain Man 09-16-2010 09:46 AM

Read, read, read, read! Let me tell you something - last time I read a book, I was raped. Let THAT be a lesson to you.

(It's a line from a movie. Bonus points if you can tell me the movie.)

Pants 09-16-2010 09:46 AM

After seeing the Media Center thread, I went out and bought A Game Of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. It's incredibly easy to read and is very entertaining. The book is as advertised and is delivering on all fronts. Looking forward to reading the next 3 (maybe 4?) in the series.

Red Brooklyn 09-16-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7009775)
Read, read, read, read! Let me tell you something - last time I read a book, I was raped. Let THAT be a lesson to you.

(It's a line from a movie. Bonus points if you can tell me the movie.)

Yellowbeard.

Rain Man 09-16-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 7009785)
Yellowbeard.

Betty: When little Dan was two minutes old I tattooed it on his head.

Yellowbeard: Does he know about this?

Betty: Oh, no no no, that's why I kept him in the cupboard for three years. That may be why he's a bit odd with all these books, and reading, and stuff like that.

Delano 09-16-2010 09:57 AM

I'm reading a book at blaise's suggestion. It is End Zone by Don DeLillo.

Good stuff.

NewChief 09-16-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7009756)
Apart from dicktons of various essays, I've recently read or re-read:

Nella Larsen - Quicksand
Willa Cather - A Lost Lady
Mike Rose - Lives on the Boundary

I'm going to begin Christie Hodgen's new, acclaimed novel, Elegies for the Brokenhearted, tonight. KC represent!

Mike Rose is awesome.

My wife has Quicksand at home and read it in college. I've never read it.

NewChief 09-16-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano (Post 7009803)
I'm reading a book at blaise's suggestion. It is End Zone by Don DeLillo.

Good stuff.

DeLillo is awesome.

Reaper16 09-16-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 7009829)
Mike Rose is awesome.

My wife has Quicksand at home and read it in college. I've never read it.

I read Quicksand about once per year. It is a very underrated text in terms of proto-feminism. There's an awful lot going on in such a short book.

Lzen 09-16-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 5842918)
Re-re--reading (for the 3rd time) Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. What a great read.......

Wow, you are dedicated. I'm currently just a little over halfway through. But it is a loooong book. Good stuff, though.