ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Miami's Martin leaves team after 'emotional breakdown' (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278125)

LoneWolf 02-14-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10432996)
It's exactly the kind of casual racism and homophobia that makes anonymous GMs say guys like Michael Sam can't play in the NFL due to its macho culture, yes. I still haven't seen anything that would make me believe Incognito or the Dolphins are some kind of great exception in this regard.

Where exactly do you draw that line? How much casual racism and homophobia in these jokes is acceptable?

IMO, racism is never casual and homophobia one of the biggest wastes if energy there is. So my answer is that neither is ever acceptable.

KC_Connection 02-14-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 10433001)
IMO, racism is never casual and homophobia one of the biggest wastes if energy there is. So my answer is that neither is ever acceptable.

If that's the case (and like you, I find the fact that such things are embedded in NFL culture disgusting), you're going to have to start kicking out way more in this league than just Richie Incognito.

ChiefRocka 02-14-2014 10:45 AM

Poor Richie

LoneWolf 02-14-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10433006)
If that's the case (and like you, I find the fact that such things are embedded in NFL culture disgusting), you're going to have to start kicking out way more in this league than just Richie Incognito.

I'm cool with that. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go start an Internet rumor that Peyton Manning is a racist homophobe.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-14-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 10432958)
Incognito's done in the NFL

He'll not make it anyway. His bulling texts will be used against him by someone who's been bullied before. He will be someone's sweet revenge

Buehler445 02-14-2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10412849)
My wife and I are like that to each other and some of our friends just can't handle it.

It's pretty funny because our marriage is probably the most solid out our group, too.

There's noting more cathartic than saying "honey, I'm home" and being greeted with "**** you!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10413306)
Yeah, we NEVER talk to each other like that when we're fighting or otherwise being serious.

It's all for fun. Some people just don't get it.

Thank god Mrs Buehler445 and I aren't the only ones that engage in playful banter back and forth. I was starting to worry. I think it's funnier than hell when she fires both barrels. I'm like you though, it's all in fun. When it's time to be serious we're serious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 10432964)
I don't consider myself a bleeding heart whatever you want to call it, but IMO no team needs that type of personality in the locker room.

You really think if he's on with another team he's going to say those type things ever again?

Just Passin' By 02-14-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10432986)
so in summary, the NFL knew nothing about this. The NFL team and the NFL management of that team knew nothing about this. It is all on the player. nobody affiliated in any way with the NFL management or any NFL team has any responsibility at all. That was a good thorough report by the NFL management team.

Incognito will be used as an example and a scapegoat. That was plain to see in how Wells framed his words. Incognito was supposed to know that his words were hurtful even though Martin was firing back, because telepathy. Martin, though, was not supposed to know that firing back would lead the other person to think there was actual banter going on, because feelbad.

So Incognito will be the whipping boy, Martin will be the Martyr, the Dolphins and the league will have their hall pass, and Goodell will have his hammer for use against the players. :thumb:

LoneWolf 02-14-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10433014)
You really think if he's on with another team he's going to say those type things ever again?

I won't matter. What he said and texted is out there for all the players to see. I'm sure all the black NFL players are going to be OK with him calling Martin a ****er. He is done in the league.

Rain Man 02-14-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 10433001)

In the modern era, though, I think that some racist and homophobic comments are not really made to be racist or homophobic, but rather because the offender likes the shock value of talking about something that is not supposed to be talked about.

Do we really think that Richie Incognito hates black people? Or is it just a way to be "cutting edge" and show how tough and confident you are that you can make jokes about off-limits stuff? I could see either or both being correct, but I'd probably lay more money on the second explanation as the main catalyst.

Rain Man 02-14-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10433022)
Incognito will be used as an example and a scapegoat. That was plain to see in how Wells framed his words. Incognito was supposed to know that his words were hurtful even though Martin was firing back, because telepathy. Martin, though, was not supposed to know that firing back would lead the other person to think there was actual banter going on, because feelbad.

So Incognito will be the whipping boy, Martin will be the Martyr, the Dolphins and the league will have their hall pass, and Goodell will have his hammer for use against the players. :thumb:

And everyone in power positions will live happily ever after.

kstater 02-14-2014 10:59 AM

Joe Posnanski ‏@JPosnanski 3m
That Richie Incognito thought this report would exonerate him, knowing what he admitted to, is the new definition of insanity.

NewChief 02-14-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10433026)
In the modern era, though, I think that some racist and homophobic comments are not really made to be racist or homophobic, but rather because the offender likes the shock value of talking about something that is not supposed to be talked about.

Do we really think that Richie Incognito hates black people? Or is it just a way to be "cutting edge" and show how tough and confident you are that you can make jokes about off-limits stuff? I could see either or both being correct, but I'd probably lay more money on the second explanation as the main catalyst.

Exactly this, not that it excuses it. My friends and I also do stuff like this being ironic/sarcastic. Like, we'll almost adopt personas when we're ****ing with each other and we're simultaneously making fun of each other and making fun of the "persona" that we're adopting to do the hazing.

Donger 02-14-2014 11:00 AM

I just perused the texts between the two. Sounds like juvenile banter to me.

KC_Connection 02-14-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10433026)

Bingo. And that's why I don't think Incognito is in any way uncommon in this culture.

TEX 02-14-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 10433006)

Sure will. Lets make sure if we start kicking people out that everyone is included in the process. Nobody should be allowed a free pass because of some lame definition that minorities, by definition, cant initiate racist behavior or that using certain racial slurs is acceptable because its an accepted part of a culture. The league is 70% African American and I'm sure they say the same stupid shit. If you really want to stop it, everyone needs to stop partaking in it. Just my take...