ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics AV Receiver (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281320)

epitome1170 02-07-2014 08:47 AM

AV Receiver

I am looking into upgrading my current speaker setup for my TV as I am less than happy with it right now.

Currently, I have an "all-in-one" 5.1 system with Blu-Ray system that I bought 4-5 years ago. I want to upgrade this, but to something that will last longer and be a more permanent fixture of my entertainment system with upgrading the other features as necessary.

Primary uses of my system is the typical: DirecTV, BluRay (need a new one), FM/AM, PS3, 5.1 System, Streaming Media, MP3 playback.

So first question, do I need an AV receiver for this? Or can I get away with a compact integrated amplifier?

Secondly, if I should get an AV receiver, which should I get or should I stay away from?

lawrenceRaider 02-07-2014 11:52 AM

How much you want to spend is a pretty important thing to know.

epitome1170 02-07-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 10419091)
How much you want to spend is a pretty important thing to know.

I won't go high end, but I would say $600 or less should still get a solid "value" packed product.

Anyong Bluth 02-07-2014 02:58 PM

My personal preference is Onkyo, but I think there are probably 4-5 brands you go with that are quality, and then it's simply about which functions and specs look most desirous for your setup.

Just a little comparison chart for AV receivers at around the $500 pricepoint. By now, these should be reduced, so you can either save some $$$, or jump up to a the next level or 2 in their model line, or get the newest model year.

http://www.audioholics.com/how-to-sh...-receiver-2013

By the way, I think your budget of $600, is a smart level of investment. You'll get some added features and integration, without overspending for some top of the line stuff that's probably going to be negligible
in your satisfaction with the avr.

Unless you're committed to really shelling out many many thousands for some insanely pricey speakers and the rest of the components- which most people are not audiophiles and the the cost to value is really either to stroke your ego and namesake and just a waste unless you're One that doesn't give a 2nd thought to discretionary spending.

Not to mention, if you wanna build up your system, invest it in a quality speaker. Even if it's done in phases by channel in order of importance

(C, FR, FL, MR, ML, RR, RL, S1, S2, RW, LW, LD, LD2, RC, RD, RD2, LH, RH ) - depending on your setup and processing / # of channels.

You can add to that over time and the item most likely that is going to need updating to handle new technology and types of of connections will be your avr.

epitome1170 02-07-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10419381)
My personal preference is Onkyo, but I think there are probably 4-5 brands you go with that are quality, and then it's simply about which functions and specs look most desirous for your setup.

Just a little comparison chart for AV receivers at around the $500 pricepoint. By now, these should be reduced, so you can either save some $$$, or jump up to a the next level or 2 in their model line, or get the newest model year.

http://www.audioholics.com/how-to-sh...-receiver-2013

By the way, I think your budget of $600, is a smart level of investment. You'll get some added features and integration, without overspending for some top of the line stuff that's probably going to be negligible
in your satisfaction with the avr.

Unless you're committed to really shelling out many many thousands for some insanely pricey speakers and the rest of the components- which most people are not audiophiles and the the cost to value is really either to stroke your ego and namesake and just a waste unless you're One that doesn't give a 2nd thought to discretionary spending.

Not to mention, if you wanna build up your system, invest it in a quality speaker. Even if it's done in phases by channel in order of importance

(C, FR, FL, MR, ML, RR, RL, S1, S2, RW, LW, LD, LD2, RC, RD, RD2, LH, RH ) - depending on your setup and processing / # of channels.

You can add to that over time and the item most likely that is going to need updating to handle new technology and types of of connections will be your avr.

My thought currently was a Onkyo TX-NR626, Sony STR-DN840 or Pioneer VSX-1023-K.

Any thoughts on any of these?

Anyong Bluth 02-07-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epitome1170 (Post 10419476)
My thought currently was a Onkyo TX-NR626, Sony STR-DN840 or Pioneer VSX-1023-K.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Onkyo or the Pioneer. If you can, go and play around with them, see which you prefer from a layout standpoint. That includes the front interface, as well as working with the remote and UI with all the On screen menus. It's a toss up depending on if you look to configure it and be done or if you like to tweak your settings a lot based on your current source. You're going to be splitting hairs in terms of capabilities, so get a feel for which is laid out in a manner you prefer. If need be, hit up YouTube to familiarize yourself with how they work and the on screen menus.

As I said, I'm an Onkyo guy, but Pioneer is top notch also, and it's my preferred aftermarket choice for any of my Car audio upgrades. At least for headunits.

Off topic, but I'm a huge fan of Klipsch speakers when you're talking about a fabulous budget minded speaker line.

Third Eye 02-08-2014 12:00 AM

Myself, I'm a Yamaha guy, though admittedly I'm paying for a bunch of DSP programs that I could care less about. I'm just comfortable with their receivers since I've been using them for years. Honestly, at that price point you probably can't go wrong with Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon or HK.

As far as speakers go, I've been thrilled with these:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...kers/SP-PK52FS

Absolutely fantastic speakers for the price, roughly $500. The sub is somewhat of an underperformer, but again, for the price it will do.

Silock 02-08-2014 12:08 AM

Another vote for yamaha. I own a lot of these receivers. Mostly because they all still work perfectly, so I can't bring myself to ditch them when I want to upgrade.

I'm also selling a great pair of Klipsch towers that will make your system sing.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-08-2014 12:09 AM

Onkyo's build quality was superior before they began outsourcing everything to Malaysia.

Consider if you want a plethora of HDMI inputs or HDMI 1.4, or if you want superior sound quality.

I ask for this reason:

The Onkyo TX-SR805 was probably the best pound for pound receiver the company ever made. It's a 60+ lb beast, with excellent internals and DACs. It only has 3 HDMI 1.3 inputs, though. If you can get by with that, I would give it the highest recommendation. I've had mine for over five years now.

It's also THX Ultra 2 certified. The only Onkyo receiver w/ a similar certification now is their $3000 flagship model.

In comparison, the NR 626 weighs 21 pounds, puts out far fewer watts/channel, and lacks THX certification.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-08-2014 12:12 AM

When shopping for receivers, I'd highly recommend buying refurbished from Accessories4Less.

nstygma 02-08-2014 12:29 AM

Anyone like Marantz?

Anyong Bluth 02-08-2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10420175)
When shopping for receivers, I'd highly recommend buying refurbished from Accessories4Less.

Not a bad recommendation, more bang for your buck.

Anyong Bluth 02-08-2014 12:47 AM

Also with the 805 and limited HDMI- I wouldn't let that dissuade you. Pick up a good Hub with wireless remote. I have so many hookups, I picked One up, and then taught my Universal Remote all the remote commands. I can control my entire system, lighting in 3 rooms, fireplace, and pretty much anything that has a RF/IR wireless control.

The Hub I got will automatically switch to the source input you're wanting to use by itself about 90% of the time, so it's really not a chore dealing with piggybacking 4 HDMI into one source. So, if you did get one like the 870, you should still be able to feed in 12 HDMI...

nstygma 02-08-2014 02:37 AM

which sources will it not work with perfectly? i've seen some strange compatibility issues with some hdmi-cec device combos.

Anyong Bluth 02-08-2014 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10420225)
which sources will it not work with perfectly? i've seen some strange compatibility issues with some hdmi-cec device combos.

None that I've come across. It typically picks up source activity and will switch to that source- like if I power on the Xbox 360 or One, for example. Sometimes it just won't switch the device feed and you just have to use the remote to change it to Input 1, 2, 3, 4, that's all. As you know HDMI can be fickle sometimes and not maintain digital handshake, but like I said, this is the rare exception, not the typical experience.

Miles 02-08-2014 02:33 PM

I suggest putting almost all of your budget into the speakers. The changes in technology happen a lot quicker with your receiver and a lower level of receiver can often adequately drive quality speakers but a high-end receiver will not make lower level speakers all that much better.

Anyong Bluth 02-08-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 10420717)
I suggest putting almost all of your budget into the speakers. The changes in technology happen a lot quicker with your receiver and a lower level of receiver can often adequately drive quality speakers but a high-end receiver will not make lower level speakers all that much better.

Yep. Technology wise for speakers- you may see an advance like once a decade of significance, and most of the time it's use of new materials.

Even then, I don't know how much it is an Advance? Up through the 90's I definitely think they were greatly refining speaker technology, and maybe someone if more familiar than myself, but it feels like since then, the gains have been pretty modest.

A lot more marketing terminology and feature names that for the most part is buzzword selling tactics.

By the way, can I say I hate that this topic came up. Only because I've been checking out avrs and new speakers this morning / afternoon on and off, and flirting with the idea of getting some new toys to upgrade or add to my hts. It's completely silly and I still have like 3 or 4 other technology home projects and 3 car upgrade projects still tucked away in their boxes that I still need to get around too.

ragedogg69 02-08-2014 07:25 PM

I have bought Technics, Pioneer, Yamaha and Onkyo.

Technics bought 10 years ago and had a slight hiss at low volume. stilll going strong

Pioneer just bought and has a long sync time to switch res on HDMI inputs.

Yamaha is my favorite. Only didnt support 3D is the only reason I replaced it.

Onkyo is 5 years old. Developed an issue of having to warm up in cold weather to output sound. Seriously. In winter I had to wait 5 minutes before getting any sound out of it. The newer Onkyos are notorious from having bad HDMI capacitors that fail. So I stayed away when shopping for a new one.

Rausch 02-09-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epitome1170 (Post 10419476)

Agreed.

I have a Pioneer VSX-702S I bought back in 93 or 94 and the thing still runs great.

When I was in my 20's I had a pretty sweet set up. Started by buying cheap speakers and then saved up for a nice reciever. After that saved up for the best center and surround speakers I could afford (NHT Super 0's.) Then worked on a 50 disk changer (hey, it was the 90's.)

I'd recommend buying one really nice component at a time. You need your speakers to tonally match but other than that not a big deal.

epitome1170 02-10-2014 05:52 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I ended up getting a Yamaha RX-V675 (I know it was not any of the 3 that was on my "final" cut list). I like the reliability of the Yamaha's though. On top of that, I got a great deal through the father-in-law who installs commercial grade AV for a living (stadiums and what not) and he used his connections.

So now I am on to looking for new speakers and a new universal remote.

Silock 02-10-2014 11:11 AM

I'm selling a pair of these. Let me know if you're interested. They're amazing speakers.

http://www.klipsch.com/klf-20/details

Rausch 02-10-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10424514)
I'm selling a pair of these. Let me know if you're interested. They're amazing speakers.

http://www.klipsch.com/klf-20/details

For some reason their site won't load...

gblowfish 02-10-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epitome1170 (Post 10424084)

I ended up getting a Yamaha RX-V675

Yamaha makes great stuff. I've had a Yahama as my main living room receiver for many years.

I also have a Denon receiver in the master bedroom that I like very much.

Third Eye 02-10-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epitome1170 (Post 10424084)

I ended up getting a Yamaha RX-V675 (I know it was not any of the 3 that was on my "final" cut list). I like the reliability of the Yamaha's though. On top of that, I got a great deal through the father-in-law who installs commercial grade AV for a living (stadiums and what not) and he used his connections.

So now I am on to looking for new speakers and a new universal remote.

You won't be disappointed, that's a solid receiver.

epitome1170 02-10-2014 11:53 AM

Any suggestions on remotes? What does every one currently use?

Still the Harmony One? Or has anyone moved to the Harmony Ultimate?

srvy 02-10-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 10421340)
I have bought Technics, Pioneer, Yamaha and Onkyo.

Technics bought 10 years ago and had a slight hiss at low volume. stilll going strong

Pioneer just bought and has a long sync time to switch res on HDMI inputs.

Yamaha is my favorite. Only didnt support 3D is the only reason I replaced it.

Onkyo is 5 years old. Developed an issue of having to warm up in cold weather to output sound. Seriously. In winter I had to wait 5 minutes before getting any sound out of it. The newer Onkyos are notorious from having bad HDMI capacitors that fail. So I stayed away when shopping for a new one.

This ^^^ on Onkyo and if dont believe google onkyo and HDMI problems. It has put a bad rep on a company that may not recover. My Onk 705 hdmi board went capoof right after warranty.
If I was looking id go Marranz, Pioneer or Outlaw.

srvy 02-10-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epitome1170 (Post 10424582)
Any suggestions on remotes? What does every one currently use?

Still the Harmony One? Or has anyone moved to the Harmony Ultimate?

I would search one the smartphone or tablet apps they are pretty good . I have the Logitech one and have been very happy. But I have an app for my windows phone that i use now.

epitome1170 02-10-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10424656)
I would search one the smartphone or tablet apps they are pretty good . I have the Logitech one and have been very happy. But I have an app for my windows phone that i use now.

In the end, I will have the tablet and both my wide and my Samsung S4 phones. However, I want a remote that we can use as well if any guests come over (in-laws) that they can use that will turn on the receiver on the right settings and right source for the TV without me giving everyone a tutorial of it first.

I am starting to lean toward the Harmony Ultimate, but it is very pricey and I have a hard time justifying that much for a remote.

srvy 02-10-2014 12:52 PM

Harmonies are nice and pretty easy online setup.

Might look at urc also as they let you add macros but they are more time consuming to setup.

epitome1170 02-10-2014 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10424717)
Harmonies are nice and pretty easy online setup.

Might look at urc also as they let you add macros but they are more time consuming to setup.

I looked at that... the draw back that I have read for the URC's is that you have to purchase it with the software which means that you have to go through an authorized dealer (so no price breaks).

lawrenceRaider 02-10-2014 02:03 PM

I'm still running a 14 yr old Denon 1700, and have had zero issues with it. No HDMI obviously, but it's great for what I use it for. Are Denon's no longer the shiznit?

epitome1170 02-10-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 10424920)
I'm still running a 14 yr old Denon 1700, and have had zero issues with it. No HDMI obviously, but it's great for what I use it for. Are Denon's no longer the shiznit?

They are not. They have started to decline. Not saying that they are crap. Some people still love them, but their reliability has suffered over the years.

srvy 02-10-2014 02:37 PM

Amazon is a authorized dealer.

ragedogg69 02-11-2014 04:36 PM

I have a good amount of Harmony's. By far my favorite:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JQZQ4PPKL.jpg
Best layout if you do not need fancy icons or anything. Things were built to take a beating. My dog chewed one up as a puppy and it still works fine years later. It was built to be destroyed by kids.

Looks like all hamony's are going the minimal button or smart phone route. I still love not having to look at the remote to use it.

Chest Rockwell 02-12-2014 07:04 AM

I've a Harmony One for about 3 or 4 years now and am still happy with it:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...mplicity_1.jpg

epitome1170 02-12-2014 12:20 PM

The thing that bothers me about the Harmony One is that is not RF so if your system has cabinet doors, then the doors have to be open.

ragedogg69 02-12-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10424645)
This ^^^ on Onkyo and if dont believe google onkyo and HDMI problems. It has put a bad rep on a company that may not recover. My Onk 705 hdmi board went capoof right after warranty.
If I was looking id go Marranz, Pioneer or Outlaw.

Yeah it is like Slingboxes. Such a cool idea, but they cheaped out on them and they will fail 6 to 18 months. And sling will charge you just to talk to them. I refuse to pay full price for sling products.

ragedogg69 02-12-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epitome1170 (Post 10429470)
The thing that bothers me about the Harmony One is that is not RF so if your system has cabinet doors, then the doors have to be open.

I thought they made a version that was RF with an IR relay?

Saccopoo 02-12-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10420765)
Yep. Technology wise for speakers- you may see an advance like once a decade of significance, and most of the time it's use of new materials.

Even then, I don't know how much it is an Advance? Up through the 90's I definitely think they were greatly refining speaker technology, and maybe someone if more familiar than myself, but it feels like since then, the gains have been pretty modest.
A lot more marketing terminology and feature names that for the most part is buzzword selling tactics.

By the way, can I say I hate that this topic came up. Only because I've been checking out avrs and new speakers this morning / afternoon on and off, and flirting with the idea of getting some new toys to upgrade or add to my hts. It's completely silly and I still have like 3 or 4 other technology home projects and 3 car upgrade projects still tucked away in their boxes that I still need to get around too.

They weren't. It's still basically the same technology that's been employed for 100 years or so.

Even transducer types as the electrostatic or ribbon planar.

However, I have been impressed in the sound quality of some of the newest portable speaker systems for mobile devices. They (some) are offering some very good sound quality for what they are from a physical perspective. I haven't gutted one to see what's going on inside, but there has been a real jump in sound quality in just the past few years in these types of units.

As to the OP, I just purchased a Sony 1030 myself. Main reason I chose this unit is that Costco had them cheap ($325) and it was one of the few units that upsampled all video input to HDMI output, which I was specifying in a AV receiver as I've got composite, component and HDMI inputs that I didn't want to have to change at the TV level. It also offered wireless networking.

Seems to be doing an admirable job so far.

UteChief 02-12-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 10420183)
Anyone like Marantz?

I have a Denon and Marantz, I love both. My Marantz is the slimline NR1603 or NR1604.

MrNightly 02-13-2014 08:03 PM

I have Rotel gear... it's flat out awesome. Also have an older 3805 Denon that has been pumping for years. Great little AVR.

Separates are the way to go though.

My next upgrade will most likely be a Sunfire Amp. That thing is BEAST.

http://www.sunfire.com/productdetail.asp?id=4

Anyong Bluth 02-23-2014 07:45 PM

Alright, looking for anyone's feedback / history with B&W's.

Obviously their reputation is top notch, but times change and opinions are welcome.

I want to get away from the bulky towers at least if I'm gonna get some new ones at this time.

So, I'm eyeing getting a pair of the CM5s.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/24/2asu5y3a.jpg

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Spea...eries/CM5.html

Came away rather impressed with this review on them.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/b...m5-loudspeaker

Quote:

Bowers & Wilkins CM5 loudspeaker
By Robert J. Reina
• Posted: Dec 6, 2012
• Published: Dec 1, 2012

With all the affordable loudspeakers I've written about in recent years, I couldn't remember the last time I reviewed one from the revered British firm Bowers & Wilkins. When I searched www.stereophile.com, I learned that the last time a B&W speaker had graced my listening room's carpet was more than seven years ago: the DM603 S3, reviewed in the August 2005 issue. I thought it was time to revisit the brand, and as the DM603 S3 was a floorstanding speaker, this time a bookshelf model seemed in order. But despite B&W's prowess in that most-affordable speaker size, I was in the mood to listen to a serious bookshelf speaker—not quite something in the league of their 805 Diamond ($5000/pair), but something between the flagship 800 Diamond series and B&W's entry-level 600 series. The midline CM series, comprising four models ranging from $1000 to $3000/pair, seemed to fit the bill. The CM1 ($1000/pair) looked interesting, but I was more intrigued by its newer, slightly larger sibling, the CM5 ($1500/pair), which is designed to handle more power and go deeper in the bass.
Designing
According to B&W's product manager, Mike Gough, the CM5 was designed as a step up from the CM1 in sound quality while still meeting the requirement of "generating excellent sound levels in confined spaces." The CM5's 1" aluminum-dome tweeter is tube-loaded, a technology pioneered in B&W's Nautilus series. The tube is intended to help absorb and damp any rearward-traveling vibrations that might color the sound. The CM5's 6.5" mid/woofer of woven Kevlar is impregnated with a stiffening resin, then coated with polymer to seal and damp the fibers. The surface of B&W's rear-firing Flowport is dimpled to reduce friction between the port and the air passing over it, and thus eliminate chuffing.

The CM5 is biwirable with two sets of binding posts. Magnetically attached grilles are included. I left these off; the drivers' nakedness slightly enhanced detail and transparency, and did nothing to detract from the speakers' beautiful real-wood veneer. My review samples were drop-dead gorgeous in rosenut, despite the CM5's conventional shape: a rectangular prism with sharp edges. (The speaker is also available in wenge or gloss black.) Although B&W offers the CM stand in black brushed aluminum ($400/pair), I used my trusty Celestion Si stands, loaded with sand and lead shot.

Listening
Right out of the box, with all of the first dozen or so recordings I threw at them, the CM5s evinced four remarkable strengths:

Detail Resolution, Transparency, and Noise Floor: As the music emerged from a silent black space with copious, transparent room sound, familiar recordings revealed inner instrumental details that I hadn't noticed before. It was easy to get lost in the music; these speakers made it effortless for me to pick out every subtle nuance in the performance.

Transient Delicacy and Speed: The CM5 was able to reproduce lightning-fast transients with never a sense of sharpness or of a mechanical quality. Every transient seemed to float on its own bed of air, as in a live performance.

Huge Dynamic Envelope: Although the CM5's articulations of detail and transients went hand in hand with its ability to unravel low-level subtleties, it was its strengths at the opposite end of the dynamic range that knocked me for a loop. With all recordings I listened to, the speaker handled fortissimos as if it were a large floorstander: with nary a hair of compression or strain.

Neutrality: With one minor exception on certain recordings (see below), the speaker reproduced a dead-neutral balance throughout its frequency range, with coherent integration of high-frequency, midrange, and bass timbres.

Here's the greatest compliment I can pay the CM5: When I listened to each of three of my favorite recordings in its entirety, I experienced a level of pleasure and involvement that was beyond my experiences of these records with most other loudspeakers. George Crumb is my favorite classical composer, and for me, the recording of his Makrokosmos III: Music for a Summer Evening—by Gilbert Kalish and James Freeman on amplified pianos, and percussionists Raymond Des Roches and Richard Fitz—is definitive (LP, Nonesuch 71311, footnote 1). In 1979, I was blessed to have attended a performance of the work by these musicians in New York City, followed by a question-and-answer session with the composer. According to Crumb, the pianos are amplified not to distort or to otherwise alter their sound, but to give each instrument the dynamic range of a full orchestra. Makrokosmos III is replete with air and space—silences followed by delicate, barely audible textures or crushing fortissimos. Listening to this work through the CM5s, what floored me was the speakers' articulation of the densely modulated high-frequency flourishes that Crumb frequently scores for the percussion and the pianos' upper registers. As I noted while listening: "High-frequency transients. My God!!!" Although I thought I knew the sound of my Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood moving-magnet cartridge, for the first time, through the CM5s, it seemed to resolve transients like an expensive moving-coil.

The title track of King Crimson's Larks' Tongues in Aspic (UK LP, Island ILPS 9230) has textures similar to that of the Crumb work, in that subtle, delicate figures emerge from silence and culminate in sudden fortissimos. The piece opens with percussionist Jamie Muir's subtle noodlings, which get denser as the music swells to the climactic opening statement of the melody. This passage blasted through the CM5s with no trace of compression or strain. Moreover, as the louder passages grow more densely active, it was easy to pick out the subtle interaction of percussionists Muir and Bill Bruford, which, through lesser speakers, is buried under guitarist Robert Fripp's loud, distorted playing on his Les Paul.

Next year I'll be making a concert recording with my jazz quartet, Attention Screen, in which I'll trade in my piano for a recently refurbished pipe organ in a church with a wonderful acoustic. In preparation, I've been researching the 20th-century organ repertoire, with emphasis on works by György Ligeti, Olivier Messiaen, and Petr Eben. In Volumina, my favorite of Ligeti's works for organ, he stretches, harmonically and dynamically, what is possible to be produced by a pipe organ. Not only does the work test the frequency extremes of the instrument and create barely audible textures, as well as pull-out-the-stops fortissimos; Ligeti also creates unusual dissonances and unique timbres with partially opened stops. Listening to Gerd Zacher's recording of the work (LP, Candide CE 31009), I was in awe as the groaning, dissonant crescendos filled my smallish listening room. I was able to follow each note in the score, despite the density of the most difficult sections. The highest frequencies were reproduced by the B&W CM5s with crystalline clarity, extension, and air; the little speakers seemed not bothered at all at being asked to reproduce realistic pedal tones and volume levels.

But "simple" music, too, shone through the CM5. The speaker's detailed and dead-neutral midrange made it a natural match for pop vocal recordings. I was able to follow and enjoy Bob Dylan's every subtle vocal inflection in his "Desolation Row," from Highway 61 Revisited (LP, Columbia 9189). The three-part harmonies in "Mr. Spaceman," from the Byrds' Fifth Dimension (LP, Columbia/Sundazed 5059), had a rich, silky, angelic, three-dimensional quality. And in "(You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman," from her Tapestry (LP, Ode SP77009), I noticed inner details in Carole King's voice that I'd never heard before.

The CM5's high-frequency extension and purity enhanced my enjoyment of well-recorded jazz. In Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants (LP, Prestige 7150), the master's trumpet had just the right amount of metallic bite—but I was more impressed by the B&W's reproduction of the shimmering ring and decay of every mallet stroke dealt by vibist Milt Jackson. It was very easy to discern Jackson's signature dynamic envelope, even in softer passages.

Footnote 1: The sound quality of this 1974 recording is impeccable, though the surfaces of my LP are noisy. I fantasize that someday it will be issued on vinyl once again, by Chad Kassem's new audiophile pressing plant, Quality Record Pressings, in Salina, Kansas. If you do, Chad, I'll order 20 copies.

(Part 2)

Bowers & Wilkins CM5 loudspeaker Page 2

At the opposite end of the spectrum, the late Donald "Duck" Dunn's thumping bass-guitar line in "Hip Hug-Her," from The Best of Booker T. & the MG's (LP, Atlantic SD 8202), had a clarity and solidity that reminded me of when I heard Dunn perform with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young in New York, earlier in this century. The bassist's unique phrasing was very apparent through the CM5s.
However, I occasionally noticed a slight thickening in the upper bass that called attention to that range. This raised its head rarely, but when it did, it was a noticeable deviation from the speaker's otherwise pure reproduction of timbres. A good example was "Ladies and Mercedes," from Carla Bley and Steve Swallow's Duets (LP, Watt 120). Swallow is unusual among jazz bassists in preferring to play electric bass, and with a pick, and while I'm quite taken with his composing and playing skills, I'm not a big fan of the sound he gets from his instrument; it tends to lack definition, both on record and in concert. Although it was clear through the B&Ws that the rich, woody timbres of Bley's piano in this recording are those of a good Steinway, the middle register of Swallow's playing had a slightly muddy, thumpy quality. Even some of the playing of hand-drum percussionist Nana Vasconcelos, on Egberto Gismonti's Dança das Cabeças (CD, ECM 1089), occasionally had a bit of "thuddy" quality through the CM5s. This recording also spotlighted how well the B&W's transient articulation could accommodate the broad range of Vasconcelos's virtuosic playing throughout the audioband. But this anomaly in the CM5s' upper bass was not noticeable with the great majority of records I listened to.

I also enjoyed the CM5's coherent completeness of sound with recordings of electric jazz and rock. "Vertical Invader," from Weather Report's I Sing The Body Electric (LP, Columbia KC 31352), is the tune that ignited my interest in jazz-rock fusion, which I followed intensely throughout the 1970s. With the CM5, the solid anchor of Miroslav Vitous's double bass and Eric Gravátt's drum kit provided a churning backdrop for the growls of Joe Zawinul's distorted Fender Rhodes piano and percussionist Dom Um Romao's wild, frenetic chatter.

Gerry and the Pacemakers were probably the most underrated band of the British Invasion. I'm glad to see the group is still gigging, with 40 dates in the UK this fall—for their tour with the Animals. The CM5 presented the rhythm section in "How Do You Do It" as a tuneful, rhythmically coherent unit, and the speaker's resolution of detail made it easy for me to focus on Les McGuire's piano solo.

It was that same resolution of detail that made it easy for me to study the engineering of studio recordings, though the results were not always pleasant—in a careful listening to "As Tears Go By," from the Rolling Stones' December's Children (LP, London 3451), Keith Richards's delicate acoustic-guitar playing, overlaid by syrupy strings, sounded completely disembodied. Moreover, the excessive and unnatural reverb added to Mick Jagger's voice entirely detached singer from instruments. The CM5s revealed the song's production and engineering to be an incoherent mess.

Comparing
I compared the B&W CM5 ($1500/pair) with the Dynaudio Excite X12 ($1200/pair), the Monitor Audio RX6 Silver ($1250/pair), and the Epos M16i ($1998/pair).

The Dynaudio Excite X12 had a midrange as clean and clear as the B&W's, but resolved much less detail. The Dynaudio's midbass was warmer, but its high-level dynamic capabilities were equally impressive.

The Monitor Audio RX6 Silver resolved significant detail and air, if not in the same league as the CM5, and its high frequencies seemed less delicate and sophisticated. However, the Monitor's bass was more extended, and it had superior high-level dynamics.

The Epos M16i was crisp, clean, and uncolored throughout its frequency range, but I felt the B&W CM5's bass was a bit more extended. Finally, although the Epos presented a coherent and integrated sound overall, it wasn't as detailed, refined, or involving as the CM5's.

Concluding
Over my past decade of listening to many affordable speakers, both bookshelf and floorstanding, I've enjoyed an embarrassment of riches. Although I have some favorites, I can't recall the last time I reviewed a speaker that didn't impress me in at least some areas.

The B&W CM5 touched me in a unique way. With every recording I played, this neutral, dynamic speaker revealed layers of detail that let me hear into the recording process, but in a way that made it easy to forget about that process, kick back, and enjoy the music. Just as paradoxically, its high level of resolution let me differentiate among great, good, and not-so-good recordings, but in a way that didn't lessen my enjoyment of music that had been poorly recorded. If I had to, I could live with this affordable bookshelf model as my only loudspeaker. I can't remember the last time I said that about another speaker in the $1500/pair price region. A tremendous achievement by Bowers & Wilkins.

Article Continues: Specifications »

(Part 3)

Bowers & Wilkins CM5 loudspeaker Specifications

Sidebar 1: Specifications
Description: Two-way, stand-mounted, reflex-loaded loudspeaker. Drive-units: 1" (25mm) aluminum-dome tweeter, 6.5" (165mm) woven-Kevlar woofer. Frequency range: 45Hz–50kHz, –6dB. Frequency response on reference axis: 52Hz–22kHz, ±3dB. Sensitivity: 88dB/2.83V/m. Harmonic distortion: second and third harmonics (90dB/m): <1%, 100Hz–22kHz; <0.5%, 150Hz–20kHz. Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 3.7 ohms minimum. Crossover frequency: 4kHz.
Dimensions: 13.4" (340mm) H by 7.8" (200mm) W by 11" (280mm) D; including grille and terminals, 11.9" (301mm) D. Weight: 19.6 lbs (8.9kg).
Finishes: Wenge, Rosenut, Gloss Black.
Serial numbers of units reviewed: 0033459, 0033460.
Price: $1500/pair. Stands, $400/pair. Approximate number of dealers: 200. Warranty: 5 years, limited, nontransferable.
Manufacturer: Bowers & Wilkins, Dale Road, Worthing, West Sussex BN11 2BH, England, UK. Tel: (44) (0)800-232-1513. Web: www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk. US distributor: B&W Group North America, 54 Concord Street, North Reading, MA 01864. Tel: (978) 664-2870. Fax: (978) 664-4109. Web: www.bowers-wilkins.com.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/24/eme3anyv.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/24/zuganaqu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/24/a2yha9a4.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/24/qaqu6e2a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/24/mutade8e.jpg

Baby Lee 02-23-2014 07:56 PM

If you have the money to move from B&W to Dynaudio, I'd do that, even at the entry level.

High end B&W is quality shit, but is priced on par with low end Dynaudio. I was never less impressed than I was with entry level B&W.

Trivia - dynaudio designed and installed the speaker system in the Buggati Veyron.

comparable to what you posted above

http://www.dynaudio.com/int/home_lou...ite/excite.php

These are in the 1400-166 price range as well, and their 'mass market' sets run up to $3.6K

They also run up to the $85K Evidence Platinums

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...CT6A6853-2.jpg

I'd say you get more bang for your buck with Paradigm at the mid point of speaker pricing.

OTOH

If you like bright speakers, Klipschhorns are a great economical route.

If you like smooth even speakers, Martin Logan Electrostatics are a great choice.

One thing is clear, if you want quality [almost unsurpassed] bass at a good price, SVS is the only choice.

Anyong Bluth 02-23-2014 08:52 PM

Definitely a bright speaker guy. Your take on Klipsch is spot on me- I LOVE listening to anything on my X10's throughout the day. While I have a few pairs of top notch cans and appreciate their presentation, the buds have always been my preferred solo source.

I'll give all the rest you mention above a thorough checking out- except maybe been the heavy lean bass. It's never been a draw for my audio enhancement or enjoyment.

Silock 02-23-2014 11:14 PM

I'm selling a pair of Klipsch KLF-20s. I already have one pair and had plans to use this pair also, but plans changed. Now, they're just sitting unused. Waste of a great pair of speakers. They have a few nicks and scratches here and there, but they're in fantastic condition and the drivers are flawless. Upgraded Crites crossovers and polyfill.

$500

Specs:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 34Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
SENSITIVITY: 100dB @ 1watt/1meter
POWER HANDLING: 200 watts maximum continuous (800 watts peak)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
TWEETER: K-79-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn
MIDRANGE: K-52 1.5" (3.81cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver
MID FREQUENCY HORN: 90(o)x60(o) Tractrix(r) Horn
WOOFER: Two K-1036-K 10" (25.4cm) Poly Carbon Graphite cones

http://www.klipsch.com/klf-20/details#specs

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...098834BE2D.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...0B39D2A959.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...A6169E69B2.jpg

Anyong Bluth 02-23-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10449738)
I'm selling a pair of Klipsch KLF-20s. I already have one pair and had plans to use this pair also, but plans changed. Now, they're just sitting unused. Waste of a great pair of speakers. They have a few nicks and scratches here and there, but they're in fantastic condition and the drivers are flawless. Upgraded Crites crossovers and polyfill.

$500

Specs:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:34Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
SENSITIVITY:100dB @ 1watt/1meter
POWER HANDLING:200 watts maximum continuous (800 watts peak)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:8 ohms
TWEETER:K-79-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN:90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn
MIDRANGE:K-52 1.5" (3.81cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver
MID FREQUENCY HORN:90(o)x60(o) Tractrix(r) Horn
WOOFER:Two K-1036-K 10" (25.4cm) Poly Carbon Graphite cones

http://www.klipsch.com/klf-20/details#specs

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...098834BE2D.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...0B39D2A959.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...A6169E69B2.jpg

No rattle?

Seen posts around about the 20s starting to rattle and people offloading them at some point. Long term unknown flaw of a Big batch that were made at some point...

Honestly, I wouldn't suspect thatd be what you were up to. Only problem is not sinking more $$$ in getting them to me in Chicago safe and sound.

Silock 02-24-2014 12:35 AM

Nope. No rattle on either pair. Never even heard of this issue until you just mentioned it. I could see why it would rattle if the internal bracing came unglued, though. There's a ton of it in there.

Anyong Bluth 02-24-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10449816)
Nope. No rattle on either pair. Never even heard of this issue until you just mentioned it. I could see why it would rattle if the internal bracing came unglued, though. There's a ton of it in there.

You'd know the internals better than me, just something of a topic I came across a number of times. Ya know they made that model for a ton of years.

Defective glue or epoxy, some moisture exposure along the production and they could have ended up with a quarter or half a year's worth of units or who knows maybe more that isn't maintaining structural integrity (?)

When'd you get them / their production year?

How much they weigh? I wish I could figure out a solution to cheaply get them up here, but nothing off the top of my head yet.

Silock 02-24-2014 02:25 AM

They're really heavy. Probably 85 lbs each.

I bought them about 3 years ago from someone on audiogon. They were shipped to me for $100, freight rate, I believe. I still have the boxes and packing from that.

Unfortunately, I think the cheapest way to get them would be to drive down and get them and drive back up. That sucks, though.

Baby Lee 02-24-2014 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10449421)
Definitely a bright speaker guy. Your take on Klipsch is spot on me- I LOVE listening to anything on my X10's throughout the day. While I have a few pairs of top notch cans and appreciate their presentation, the buds have always been my preferred solo source.

I'll give all the rest you mention above a thorough checking out- except maybe been the heavy lean bass. It's never been a draw for my audio enhancement or enjoyment.

Sorry about not being more clear, though they do have a speaker line, SVS's strength is their subwoofers.

They were the garage startup that ran with the sonotube subwoofer innovation of the mid-90s. They now offer both traditional box subs and sonosubs.

A DIY example, woofer on the bottom, port usually on top

http://www.patcave.com/sunosub3/021-3402.jpg

SVS early model

http://cdn.avsforum.com/4/42/424ade5...Subwoofer.jpeg

Rausch 02-24-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10449242)
Alright, looking for anyone's feedback / history with B&W's.

Obviously their reputation is top notch, but times change and opinions are welcome.

I want to get away from the bulky towers at least if I'm gonna get some new ones at this time.

That looks a lot like what M&K came out with in the mid/late 90's. Some ****ing amazing speakers that were out of my price range at the time.

srvy 02-24-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10449266)
If you have the money to move from B&W to Dynaudio, I'd do that, even at the entry level.

High end B&W is quality shit, but is priced on par with low end Dynaudio. I was never less impressed than I was with entry level B&W.

Trivia - dynaudio designed and installed the speaker system in the Buggati Veyron.

comparable to what you posted above

http://www.dynaudio.com/int/home_lou...ite/excite.php

These are in the 1400-166 price range as well, and their 'mass market' sets run up to $3.6K

They also run up to the $85K Evidence Platinums

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...CT6A6853-2.jpg

I'd say you get more bang for your buck with Paradigm at the mid point of speaker pricing.

OTOH

If you like bright speakers, Klipschhorns are a great economical route.

If you like smooth even speakers, Martin Logan Electrostatics are a great choice.

One thing is clear, if you want quality [almost unsurpassed] bass at a good price, SVS is the only choice.

Listen to this man^^^
Id eccho everything above accept SVS since the 2 owners split I think have gone down some.
The new king in subwoofers at the old SVS pricepoint is Power Sound Audio. Founded by the former SVS owner.