ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Female led superhero movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287961)

Just Passin' By 10-30-2014 04:12 PM

Female led superhero movies

With the announced female leads (Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman) and other potential female-led superhero movies (i.e. Warner rumored to be developing an all female Spider-Man spinoff) being discussed, I'm just wondering what this forum thinks of them. Will you have interest? Will you go watch them? Do you think they'll be big hits?

keg in kc 10-30-2014 04:44 PM

I think it all comes down to how well they're put together. Good scripts and good acting and they'll be hits. I don't think the kind of people who watch superhero movies are going to give a shit whether the leads are men or women.

Pitt Gorilla 10-30-2014 04:46 PM

I think Black Widow could carry a movie.

jspchief 10-30-2014 04:47 PM

They'll tank.

keg in kc 10-30-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 11072027)
I think Black Widow could carry a movie.

I think she might be the one that dies during the 2nd Avengers.

jspchief 10-30-2014 05:12 PM

Name all of the successful movies starring female action heroes not named Alien(s).

ThaVirus 10-30-2014 05:23 PM

Don't really have much of an opinion on them other than the fact that I do get annoyed seeing these 120 pounds chicks one-shotting grown ass men.

I was watching Mr and Mrs Smith the other day and just couldn't stand the fact that Angelina Jolie was beating Brad Pitt's ass in a straight fist fight.

keg in kc 10-30-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 11072064)
Name all of the successful movies starring female action heroes not named Alien(s).

If anybody can do it, Marvel can. Prior to Iron Man, there really wasn't much in the spandex superhero genre that did phenomenally well outside of Batman, Superman and Spider-Man. Yet they've somehow created an incredibly lucrative series of movies. Without any of the aforementioned characters, or the X-men, or the Fantastic Four.

notorious 10-30-2014 05:36 PM

"My Super Ex-Girlfriend" always seems to crack me up.

Rausch 10-30-2014 05:40 PM

If it's a good character and good story people will like it.

You could argue that the show Fringe was about a female super hero. Depending on how you define it. That's probably my favorite TV show ever.

If it's Resident Evil...

DaveNull 10-30-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 11072111)
If it's a good character and good story people will like it.

Lots of this.

I'd also really like to see a Black Widow movie, but it's clear it's not going to happen. Probably because of scheduling problems as much as anything, plus I think that the character will get a lot of attention in the new Avengers movie based on what we see in the teaser trailer.

I don't know much about Carol Danvers at this point, but I'm certainly not chauvinistic to say i wouldn't see it because its a female lead.

Rausch 10-30-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 11072143)
Lots of this.

I'd also really like to see a Black Widow movie, but it's clear it's not going to happen. Probably because of scheduling problems as much as anything, plus I think that the character will get a lot of attention in the new Avengers movie based on what we see in the teaser trailer.

I don't know much about Carol Danvers at this point, but I'm certainly not chauvinistic to say i wouldn't see it because its a female lead.

I'm not a big fan of the character but that's mostly due to me really following comix closely after she was dead and Rogue (a much more interesting character) had stolen her powers...

Just Passin' By 10-30-2014 06:13 PM

Quote:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer had some success.

Rausch 10-30-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11072152)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer had some success.

There's also The Hunger Games, Silence of the Lambs, Kill Bill...

unlurking 10-30-2014 06:39 PM

I will see Captain Marvel opening weekend. Wonder Woman will be a rental for me, but so was the Superman reboot, Amazing Spiderman, and Fantastic Four. The new Superman and Fantastic Four movies will be rentals for me, if I bother. So in that vein, a female led Wonder Woman will be higher on my priority than Supes/Batman/FF.

Rausch 10-30-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 11072192)
I will see Captain Marvel opening weekend. Wonder Woman will be a rental for me, but so was the Superman reboot, Amazing Spiderman, and Fantastic Four. The new Superman and Fantastic Four movies will be rentals for me, if I bother. So in that vein, a female led Wonder Woman will be higher on my priority than Supes/Batman/FF.

I really have no desire to see any of that.

I'll admit I was in the minority that liked the last Superman film and I hate the character.

I loved the FF as a kid but the first two were bad and this new one looks turr-able...

Deberg_1990 10-30-2014 06:46 PM

We already have female superhero movies.

They are called the Hunger Games

AustinChief 10-30-2014 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 11072143)

I'd rather see the Monica Rambeau version of Captain Marvel. She would be easy to tie in using the Nebula storyline... and bonus of more Karen Gillan! (Plus Direkshun will get a woody having a BLACK female lead character)

Buehler445 10-30-2014 09:57 PM

I'd be interested.

Female lead doesn't scare me off.

Hopefully WW doesn't suck (it looks to). Hopefully they schedule in a BW movie. That would be awesome.

I liked A league of their own (I know, I know), don't have a problem with Aliens. You could argue that Deep Blue Sea had a female lead (even thought it was a shitty movie, I liked it).

It comes down to a story, like most have said here.

keg in kc 10-30-2014 10:01 PM

Wonder Woman actually looks interesting if they do the trilogy as it's currently (supposedly) on paper. That is with the first set in the 20s, the second set during WW2 and the third modern day.

I think they're also doing a good thing by introducing the character first in another film, even if the first solo movie is still an origin story. Marvel did the same thing with Black Widow, and she ended up doing well although she's not scheduled to get a flick, and they will, I assume do the same thing with Captain Marvel (just like they're doing with Black Panther - although how Ant Man and Doctor Strange will be introduced I have no idea. Suspect we'll see some lead into Ant Man as one of the Avengers 2 post credit scenes).

notorious 10-30-2014 10:01 PM

Doomsday.

Super hot female badass.

Ragged Robin 10-30-2014 10:06 PM

superhero movies are superhero movies

ThaVirus 10-30-2014 10:22 PM

Doomsday was such a shit pile.

Direckshun 10-30-2014 11:50 PM

I don't think they'll perform as well, but they'll still make absolute tons of money.

It's getting harder for "traditional" super hero films to work thanks to how much the Dark Knight and Avengers have challenged the genre.

I give Captain Marvel a great chance of success. Wonder Woman will do pretty well as well, but let's face it, DC's going to **** it up.

listopencil 10-31-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 11072655)
I'd be interested.

Female lead doesn't scare me off.

Hopefully WW doesn't suck (it looks to). Hopefully they schedule in a BW movie. That would be awesome.

I liked A league of their own (I know, I know), don't have a problem with Aliens. You could argue that Deep Blue Sea had a female lead (even thought it was a shitty movie, I liked it).

It comes down to a story, like most have said here.

It was a good movie.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 12:18 AM

Warner's has no rights to Spider-Man. If anyone does Spider-Man, it's Sony.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 12:25 AM

Personally, I think it's a tough sell.

These super hero movies cost more than $200 million to create and market. While Jennifer Lawrence can put butts in the seats, she's tied to Sony and the X-Men Franchise, so she can't appear in Disney/Marvel films. Gal Gadot is pretty much an unknown in the US outside of her bit parts in the F&F franchise, so I think it would be a major gamble for her to get a standalone.

Marvel isn't even ready to give Scarlett Jo her own film so this screams to me, "Publicity".

Hammock Parties 10-31-2014 12:29 AM

Daisy Ridley is going to kick ass in the new Star Wars trilogy. I can't wait.

007 10-31-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 11072808)
It was a good movie.

I really need to go watch that again sometime. One of my favorites.

keg in kc 10-31-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11072814)

These super hero movies cost more than $200 million to create and market. While Jennifer Lawrence can put butts in the seats, she's tied to Sony and the X-Men Franchise, so she can't appear in Disney/Marvel films. Gal Gadot is pretty much an unknown in the US outside of her bit parts in the F&F franchise, so I think it would be a major gamble for her to get a standalone.

Marvel isn't even ready to give Scarlett Jo her own film so this screams to me, "Publicity".

We're talking about movies set for 2017 and 2018. So yeah publicity. Although also pretty ample time (and plenty of other movies) to change those dynamics. Black Widow's popularity is I think less about star power than that the character was slowly established with badass scenes as a secondary character in several other movies which were massive hits. Not to undersell the draw scarjo obviously is on her own merit. But Gal Godot not being a household name in 2014 doesn't mean she can't be one three years from now.

As for black widow, as I think I mentioned before, I (and a lot of other people...) have a feeling age of ultron could be the end for her. Which is one possible reason why they're not going down that road. Or maybe they do have a film planned and they're keeping it under wraps until after summer 15 and perpetuating the BW death rumor themselves. Or they may just view that character as supporting, thinking it's best in small doses. Or she may not want to do it. Who knows.

The lack of a Hulk movie on the calendar poses similar questions...

We do know that the Avengers roster is changing by the end of ultron, which probably plays a role in which characters are getting their own flicks.

Beef Supreme 10-31-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 11072688)
Doomsday was such a shit pile.

What?!!!

Doomsday was awesome.

ThaVirus 10-31-2014 09:06 AM

Female led superhero movies

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 11073125)
What?!!!

Doomsday was awesome.

That movie was so bad!

And I love the post-apocalyptic genre. I wanted to like it, but couldn't..

Gravedigger 10-31-2014 09:10 AM

They'll be great. Man or Woman, if the movie is great the movie will be great. I've never seen a female led movie be great and people say," if a man was the lead, it would've been so amazing." There's not a lot of Female led comic movies, but in this day and age that'll fix itself pretty quickly. I'm looking forward to Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel.

Rain Man 10-31-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11072024)
I think it all comes down to how well they're put together. Good scripts and good acting and they'll be hits. I don't think the kind of people who watch superhero movies are going to give a shit whether the leads are men or women.

They probably don't even know the difference.

keg in kc 10-31-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 11073181)
They probably don't even know the difference.

Oh, I'm sure they know the difference. Whether that knowledge is theoretical or experience-based is another question.

Valiant 10-31-2014 11:34 AM

Quote:

Buffy, Tomb Raider, kill bill, hunger games for just action movies off the top of my head. Probably way more if you include popular tv series.

Valiant 10-31-2014 11:36 AM

And I think WW will flop, no trust in DC or who they chose.

Marvel stands a better chance with Captain Marvel.

Valiant 10-31-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11072814)

Why can't Marvel get her? Did she sign a contract with Sony stating that? They did fine with Chris Evans.

I agree on Scarlett and Black Widow movie, I do not think the character is strong enough. That and it would have to be a Bourne type movie, not a superhero movie. Now if they added Hawkeye and maybe another non superhero it would probably be enough.

ToxSocks 10-31-2014 11:55 AM

Meh. Some of the movies mentioned here i don't think of as Superhero movies.

Resident Evil, Kill Bill, Tomb Raider. Those aren't really Superhero movies, they're action movies with a female lead.

A Female Superhero movie is something like Catwoman.

No thanks.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11073097)
We're talking about movies set for 2017 and 2018.

I think that 2017 is highly ambitious. Unless they have a script (which I doubt), they'll need a script, director and star. It'll take a year to shoot and a year in Post, not to mention marketing and finding the appropriate release date.

Marvel's had a solid run lately but they initially stumbled out of the blocks with the two mediocre Hulk movies and recently, there have been a ton of issues with the Ant Man film that's been in development since 2008.

Iron Man 2 was unwatchable to me and the first Captain America was a disappointment. They'll need to be really careful with a Captain Marvel film, as she's not a known character outside of comic fans.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 11073468)
Why can't Marvel get her? Did she sign a contract with Sony stating that? They did fine with Chris Evans.

Jennifer Lawrence is under contract with Fox to play Raven/Mystique for several more films. The Marvel/Sony deal is separate from the Marvel/Disney deal and the Marvel/Fox deal.

Sony has been softening their stance lately in terms of an Avengers/Spiderman crossover and it would be beyond awkward to have one actress play two super heroes in the same universe.

Between Katniss and Raven/Mistique, she wouldn't have time in her schedule, anyway.

Jamie 10-31-2014 01:27 PM

Sony is Spider-Man, X-Men (and Fantastic Four) are at Fox. At this point there is zero chance of Fox and Marvel working something out for an Avenger/X-Men crossover.

Jennifer Lawrence signed a 3-picture deal for X-Men First Class. The upcoming X-Men: Apocalypse is the last film she's contractually obligated to do.

I'd agree it's unlikely that they'd get her to play Captain Marvel, but for a different reasons. For one thing she'll probably be reluctant to sign a multi-picture deal again so soon after X-Men, but the main thing is Marvel won't want to pay her.

Fire Me Boy! 10-31-2014 02:51 PM

I vote Natalie Dormer.

http://iv1.lisimg.com/image/5699232/...lie-dormer.jpg

keg in kc 10-31-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11073688)
I think that 2017 is highly ambitious. Unless they have a script (which I doubt), they'll need a script, director and star. It'll take a year to shoot and a year in Post, not to mention marketing and finding the appropriate release date.

Marvel's had a solid run lately but they initially stumbled out of the blocks with the two mediocre Hulk movies and recently, there have been a ton of issues with the Ant Man film that's been in development since 2008.

Iron Man 2 was unwatchable to me and the first Captain America was a disappointment. They'll need to be really careful with a Captain Marvel film, as she's not a known character outside of comic fans.

2017 is wonder woman. I would not be surprised to see that date pushed back, or to see the entire dc slate delayed.

Captain Marvel is 2018 and comes after both guardians 2 and avengers 3.0. Would not be surprised to see her introduced in one and expanded in the other, as they did with black widow in iron man 2, avengers and winter soldier.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11073955)
2017 is wonder woman. I would not be surprised to see that date pushed back, or to see the entire dc slate delayed.

Captain Marvel is 2018 and comes after both guardians 2 and avengers 3.0. Would not be surprised to see her introduced in one and expanded in the other, as they did with black widow in iron man 2, avengers and winter soldier.

Yeah, that seems to be their M.O., for sure. The choice of director for Captain Marvel will be interesting as well, since so many of their better directors are tied up with sequels while others, like Rian Johnson and Gareth Edwards, are locked into the Star Wars galaxy.

There's an imminent announcement about another Star Wars spin off due any day now.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11073947)
I vote Natalie Dormer.

I think she's a great actress but I know absolutely nothing about the character.

Reaper16 10-31-2014 03:38 PM

If a female lead character makes you disinterested in a film then you are a total asshole.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11073955)

Speaking of DC and Warner's, they sure are pushing hard with Batman v. Superman, Justice League, Wonder Woman and now Aquaman.

I've seen Man of Steel three times now and I still can't decide whether or not I like it. As much as I've enjoyed the Nolan Batman universe, I like the casting of Affleck and think he has the chops to make a grizzled, tired Batman come to life in a way we haven't seen on screen yet. Gal Gadot is a knockout and if Warner's can convince their "Dream Director", Kathryn Bigelow, to jump on board, it has a chance to be a phenomenal series.

All that said, the movie I'm most curious about is Aquaman. Jason Mamoa is a likeable actor and the idea of a "Surfer Dude" Aquaman is really intriquing, but I just don't know how this movie can be pulled off without being hokey.

Easy 6 10-31-2014 03:51 PM

Honestly, they just dont interest me at all.

ScarJo as a sidekick in Avengers is one thing, but chicks kicking ass as the lead never looks right to me, theres always an air of unbelievability to it... and it isnt sexist, its just realist.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11074068)

ScarJo as a sidekick in Avengers is one thing, but chicks kicking ass as the lead never looks right to me, theres always an air of unbelievability to it... and it isnt sexist, its just realist.

With Wonder Woman, Warner's has changed her back story. She's no longer an "Amazonian Princess Warrior" but an immortal that is the offspring of Zeus. I would think that would make her pretty bad ass.

That said, I don't know which is hokier: Demi-god or Amazonian Warrior Princess? But the whole "Demi-God" thing is an odd choice, IMO.

Reaper16 10-31-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11074068)

We're literally talking about people with cosmic or genetic superpowers.

keg in kc 10-31-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11074063)
Speaking of DC and Warner's, they sure are pushing hard with Batman v. Superman, Justice League, Wonder Woman and now Aquaman.

I've seen Man of Steel three times now and I still can't decide whether or not I like it. As much as I've enjoyed the Nolan Batman universe, I like the casting of Affleck and think he has the chops to make a grizzled, tired Batman come to life in a way we haven't seen on screen yet. Gal Gadot is a knockout and if Warner's can convince their "Dream Director", Kathryn Bigelow, to jump on board, it has a chance to be a phenomenal series.

All that said, the movie I'm most curious about is Aquaman. Jason Mamoa is a likeable actor and the idea of a "Surfer Dude" Aquaman is really intriquing, but I just don't know how this movie can be pulled off without being hokey.

I actually liked Man of Steel more than the Avengers. I know that's blasphemy among comics fans. Which is not to in any way say that I disliked the Avengers. But I only own one of them on bluray.

Superman to me is just not all that interesting a character. Iconic? Yes. But he's basically a god. I'm glad they tried to add some gravitas and internal struggle to it. This isn't the 70s, and that flag waving boy scout schtick just doesn't work anymore. The world is grayer (note I did not say 'darker'). I thought most of the complaint about the film's ending, in particular all the death and destruction in Metropolis, was just nitpicky bullshit. Man of Steel was about him becoming Superman, learning the limits of his powers and how to use them. That was was not a fully matured and fleshed out superhero wantonly destroying a city because he didn't give a shit. I predicted at the time that the supposed lack of consequences for that destruction would be because that reaction was going to be a core part of the sequel. Which lo and behold it apparently is.

So yeah, I thought it was a pretty good flick. And it was markedly different from what Marvel is (or was, at the time) doing, which then was more family oriented and light-hearded. We'll see how it plays now that Marvel's taken a darker tone with the events of Iron Man 3, Winter Soldier and assumedly Avengers 2. But they (meaning DC) seem to be trying to do their films their own way, and I think that's a good choice. I mean, sure, steal some of what Marvel's gotten right, but make it your own niche. If that means a darker color palette or more dour/serious movies, then I say more power to them. There's plenty of room for variety.

I'm a big Momoa fan going all the way back to his days on Stargate: Atlantis, but I'm like you in feeling unsure about how that's going to play out. It just doesn't feel right for some reason.

Frosty 10-31-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11074063)

In the Justice League animated series a few years ago, Aquaman was portrayed that way -kind of a laid back goofball. His personality was kind of a less stuffy Thor. I wonder if that is the tact they are going to take?

The biggest problem with Aquaman is it kind has to take place in the water a good part of the time and movies like that kind of suck. Anyone remember the Patrick Duffy Aquaman-like series way back when (Man from Atlantis)? It was mostly him swimming around holding his breath.

Easy 6 10-31-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11074071)
With Wonder Woman, Warner's has changed her back story. She's no longer an "Amazonian Princess Warrior" but an immortal that is the offspring of Zeus. I would think that would make her pretty bad ass.

That said, I don't know which is hokier: Demi-god or Amazonian Warrior Princess? But the whole "Demi-God" thing is an odd choice, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 11074091)

The goddess thing is definitely different and maybe its just me... but I just dont enjoy watching women in "kick ass" roles as much, even if they're mutants or gods or whatever the backstory is.

Movies like Salt and Resident Evil or Aeon Flux with some superbadass female lead? they just dont interest me at all.

If others dig it, hey, more power to them... its just a movie anyway.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 11074100)
I actually liked Man of Steel more than the Avengers. I know that's blasphemy among comics fans. Which is not to in any way say that I disliked the Avengers. But I only own one of them on bluray.

I'm in the minority but I don't like The Avengers, at all. I bought it on Blu-Ray (MOS as well) and just didn't like the direction, story or much of the acting (save Downey and Ruffalo, who is quickly becoming my favorite actor).

I really enjoyed Iron Man 3, which ironically, I did not purchase on Blu-Ray but instead waited for it on cable because The Avengers and Captain America: The First Avenger didn't do it for me and Iron Man 2, IMO, sucked. I'm glad I waited on Thor 2 as well because that was disappointing for me.

I heard so many good things about The Winter Soldier that I purchased it on Blu-Ray and really enjoyed it. I've yet to see Guardians of the Galaxy but I'll pre-order it so that it arrives on December 9th. I bought The Wolverine and X-Men: Days of Future Past and thought both were awesome.

Hugh Jackman is the man.

Frosty 10-31-2014 04:31 PM

I know the Resident Evil films are kind of terrible but I love them anyway. I own all of them and will keep watching as long as they keep casting Milla Jovovich. :)

Another set of movies with a kick ass female lead that I like is Underworld.

Easy 6 10-31-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 11074127)
I know the Resident Evil films are kind of terrible but I love them anyway. I own all of them and will keep watching as long as they keep casting Milla Jovovich. :)

Another set of movies with a kick ass female lead that I like is Underworld.

Heh, I've watched all of the RE movies just to look at her when theres nothing else on.

Frosty 10-31-2014 04:41 PM

One key to having a good female lead for an action type film is to make sure they are athletic (or athaletic if you are Rich Gannon). Having non-athletic women try to run, jump, throw a punch, etc just looks funny and takes you out of the moment.

Direckshun 10-31-2014 05:05 PM

***Iron Man 3 spoiler***

Spoiler!

keg in kc 10-31-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11074123)
I'm in the minority but I don't like The Avengers, at all. I bought it on Blu-Ray (MOS as well) and just didn't like the direction, story or much of the acting (save Downey and Ruffalo, who is quickly becoming my favorite actor).

I really enjoyed Iron Man 3, which ironically, I did not purchase on Blu-Ray but instead waited for it on cable because The Avengers and Captain America: The First Avenger didn't do it for me and Iron Man 2, IMO, sucked. I'm glad I waited on Thor 2 as well because that was disappointing for me.

I heard so many good things about The Winter Soldier that I purchased it on Blu-Ray and really enjoyed it. I've yet to see Guardians of the Galaxy but I'll pre-order it so that it arrives on December 9th. I bought The Wolverine and X-Men: Days of Future Past and thought both were awesome.

Hugh Jackman is the man.

Iron Man 2 was pretty bad. I liked Iron Man 3 more than most, and didn't have a bit of problem with the way they handled the Mandarin. Winter Soldier was really, really good. I thought it transcended the 'comic' label in much the same way that the Nolan trilogy did. It was more of an espionage thriller. I loved Guardians. There were some moments that didn't work here and there, but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

I still haven't seen The Wolverine, but saw DoFP the weekend it opened, and thought it was great.

Direckshun 10-31-2014 05:17 PM

Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is phenomenal. Every movie he's been in has been awesome.

Fire Me Boy! 10-31-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 11074206)
Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is phenomenal. Every movie he's been in has been awesome.

Xmen Origins was utter garbage.

Jamie 10-31-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11074071)

It's a recent thing from the comics. She's still an Amazon, but discovers as an adult that Zeus is her father. Considering that her old origin was that she was made from clay and given life by the gods, I think it's an improvement.

ThaVirus 10-31-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 11074091)

Not all. Black Widow has no superpowers.

I don't give two shits if She Hulk or Wonder Woman kick some ass. They're super powered. I just can't stand watching Angelina Jolie kick dudes' asses as just a regular ass trained human like in Salt, Mr and Mrs Smith, and Wanted.

If it makes you feel any better I get annoyed seeing small guys do the same. Like Tom Cruise in Jack Reacher. Guy's 5'7" taking on several 250 pounders at once. Bullshit.

Still a great movie though LMAO

ThaVirus 10-31-2014 05:36 PM

They knocked Wolverine out of the park with Jackman.

Probably the best superhero casting of them all outside of Ledger as Joker and Downey Jr. as Stark,

listopencil 10-31-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11072818)
I really need to go watch that again sometime. One of my favorites.

I had to go look up the "there's no crying in baseball" scene just to watch it again. Great stuff:

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6M8szlSa-8o" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Easy 6 10-31-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 11074240)
They knocked Wolverine out of the park with Jackman.

Probably the best superhero casting of them all outside of Ledger as Joker and Downey Jr. as Stark,

No mention of Bales Batman?

He's the guy that started this whole new level of delirium.

BucEyedPea 10-31-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 11071982)
With the announced female leads (Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman) and other potential female-led superhero movies (i.e. Warner rumored to be developing an all female Spider-Man spinoff) being discussed, I'm just wondering what this forum thinks of them. Will you have interest? Will you go watch them? Do you think they'll be big tits?

FYP ROFL

Yes, I think there will.

Buehler445 10-31-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 11074477)
FYP ROFL

Yes, I think there will.

Gal Gadot does not have "big tits"

They are outstanding tits and I'd like to see them but they're not big.

http://www.agentsofguard.com/wp-cont...er-woman-2.jpg

ThaVirus 10-31-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11074458)

Loved the movies but never cared for Bale.

Just Passin' By 10-31-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 11074148)
One key to having a good female lead for an action type film is to make sure they are athletic (or athaletic if you are Rich Gannon). Having non-athletic women try to run, jump, throw a punch, etc just looks funny and takes you out of the moment.

I loved Sandahl Bergman in Conan the barbarian, and I thought it was too bad that she got stuck in low budget films.

lcarus 10-31-2014 09:43 PM

Who do you all think would make a good Harley Quinn? I could see a Harley Quinn standalone movie garnering huge box office numbers if they got the right chick to play her. Of course it would be really hard to make a Harley Quinn without Batman or Joker part of it. Impossible almost.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11074458)

The first X-Men movie in 2000, followed by the Sam Raimi directed, Toby McGuire Spider-Man film really launched the comic book craze. The Hulk missed the mark, big time, although Ed Norton's "reboot" was a better but not great. That's why they're still shy about another Hulk film but in my opinion, Ruffalo would kill it, with the right script, of course.

But what really launched Marvel into the stratosphere was Iron Man. From there, they've made very few mistakes.

lcarus 10-31-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11074689)
The first X-Men movie in 2000, followed by the Sam Raimi directed, Toby McGuire Spider-Man film really launched the comic book craze. The Hulk missed the mark, big time, although Ed Norton's "reboot" was a better but not great. That's why they're still shy about another Hulk film but in my opinion, Ruffalo would kill it, with the right script, of course.

But what really launched Marvel into the stratosphere was Iron Man. From there, they've made very few mistakes.

I never gave a shit about Iron Man before that movie. Fantastic movie. The Dude as the villain? Just epic. The sequels weren't as good though.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 11074696)
I never gave a shit about Iron Man before that movie. Fantastic movie. The Dude as the villain? Just epic. The sequels weren't as good though.

I thought Iron Man 2 was unspeakably awful but I really liked Iron Man 3.

Shane Black and Robert Downey, jr. go together like beer and whiskey, IMO.

lcarus 10-31-2014 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11074700)
I thought Iron Man 2 was unspeakably awful but I really liked Iron Man 3.

Shane Black and Robert Downey, jr. go together like beer and whiskey, IMO.

Yeah I wasn't fond of Iron Man 2. Spider-Man 2 on the other hand I really liked.

DaneMcCloud 10-31-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 11074702)
Yeah I wasn't fond of Iron Man 2. Spider-Man 2 on the other hand I really liked.

Spider-Man 2 was a very layered film and I agree, it was very, very good.

OTOH, I didn't buy the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man. He's a fine actor and I LOVE Emma Stone but neither film worked for me.

lcarus 10-31-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11074707)
Spider-Man 2 was a very layered film and I agree, it was very, very good.

OTOH, I didn't buy the Andrew Garfield Spider-Man. He's a fine actor and I LOVE Emma Stone but neither film worked for me.

Agreed. I think I just watched the Garfield Spider-Man with tainted eyes because I loved the first trilogy, sans part 3

007 10-31-2014 11:48 PM

Iron Man 2 was horrible. I honestly didn't care much for 3 either but it was still much better than 2.

I actually liked Garfield as Peter Parker/Spiderman even though the scripts sucked. I've yet to see Emma Stone in a bad role either.

lcarus 10-31-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11074756)
Iron Man 2 was horrible. I honestly didn't care much for 3 either but it was still much better than 2.

I actually liked Garfield as Peter Parker/Spiderman even though the scripts sucked. I've yet to see Emma Stone in a bad role either.

I first saw her in an episode of Louis CK's HBO show "Lucky Louie". Which, by the way, is an incredibly hilarious show in my opinion. Too bad it was canned after one season.