ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Ryan Braun tests positive for PED (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253527)

Buck 12-10-2011 06:47 PM

Ryan Braun tests positive for PED

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...enhancing-drug

He's facing a 50 game suspension.

O.city 12-10-2011 06:47 PM

Wow.

pr_capone 12-10-2011 06:48 PM

Damn. I liked the guy too.

**** him. He should be stripped of the MVP award.

kcxiv 12-10-2011 06:50 PM

Matt Kemp got ****ed outta MVP. Take that shit away.

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 06:51 PM

Maybe now these stupid BBWAA writers will realize that the "Steroid Era" never really ended. It just changed. Braun certainly isn't the only elite hitter that's still using, he's just the one that got caught.

O.city 12-10-2011 06:51 PM

If this is true, he probably should lose the MVP.

O.city 12-10-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8186818)
Maybe now these stupid BBWAA writers will realize that the "Steroid Era" never really ended. It just changed. Braun certainly isn't the only elite hitter that's still using, he's just the one that got caught.

This.

He just got stupid and didn't cycle right.

-King- 12-10-2011 06:52 PM

LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

Bambi 12-10-2011 06:52 PM

what a loser

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8186821)
This.

He just got stupid and didn't cycle right.

Yep...just like Manny did. Twice. LMAO

Rams Fan 12-10-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8186822)
LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

This x 100.

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 06:59 PM

So does this mean he can't make the HOF, then? That seems to be the current stupid policy of the baseball writers, though I'm guessing that will change down the road when they realize how many players used and are still using PEDs.

O.city 12-10-2011 07:01 PM

I say just let all of them use. Raise the mound a foot,give them aluminum bats, push the fences back to 500 plus everywhere.

Thig Lyfe 12-10-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

MLB.com wrote that Braun then showed "a flash of his sense of humor and his well-documented self-confidence" by adding, "I would never do it because if I took steroids, I would hit 60 or 70 home runs."
So now if he hits 60 or 70 home runs...

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8186846)
I say just let all of them use. Raise the mound a foot,give them aluminum bats, push the fences back to 500 plus everywhere.

I have absolutely no problem with baseball players using PEDs. Never have. Makes the games more entertaining and the players play at a higher level.

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer (Post 8186848)
So now if he hits 60 or 70 home runs...

He won't be doing it next year for my fantasy team (he's a keeper of mine), that's for sure. You get a 50 game suspension these days.

lewdog 12-10-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8186862)
He won't be doing it next year for my fantasy team (he's a keeper of mine), that's for sure. You get a 50 game suspension these days.

He is my keeper too! Well, not anymore with a 50 game suspension.

ChiefsCountry 12-10-2011 07:25 PM

Honestly I could care less.

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog_5 (Post 8186884)
He is my keeper too! Well, not anymore with a 50 game suspension.

He's too good a player in the future for me to let him go over 50 games, but your format may be different than mine.

L.A. Chieffan 12-10-2011 07:26 PM

What a joke. Kemp got hosed

lewdog 12-10-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8186890)
He's too good a player in the future for me to let him go over 50 games, but your format may be different than mine.

Well I have Justin Upton on my team too, who I could easily keep. I only get 1 keeper.

What is your format?

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog_5 (Post 8186895)
Well I have Justin Upton on my team too, who I could easily keep. I only get 1 keeper.

What is your format?

6 keepers a season, 14 teams.

GloryDayz 12-10-2011 07:30 PM

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha...

He prolly bought them from the head-case!!! F*** you ZG... Now you're teamed-up with cheaters too. DIAF you piece of S***!!!

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8186902)
Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha...

He prolly bought them from the head-case!!! F*** you ZG... Now you're teamed-up with cheaters too. DIAF you piece of S***!!!

I sense some anger towards Zack Greinke here.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-10-2011 07:42 PM

I always hated that douchebag ****. As if the Affliction-ripoff company wasn't enough, now he's added more ammo.

**** that guy.

alnorth 12-10-2011 07:43 PM

There are only two ways Braun can get out of this. He either needs to scientifically prove that the test was a false positive (which might be hard since a follow-up test showed synthetic testosterone), he was re-tested a few weeks later which came back negative. That second test is not necessarily relevant, but he's arguing that the difference between the extremely high first result and the extremely low second result was so big, that it proves a false positive. I don't know the science behind this, I assume the folks at the lab will explain what happened and why Braun's argument is or is not valid.

If that doesn't work, Braun would have to prove that food or supplements he was taken was tampered with by someone else without his knowledge. Baseball has a strict liability policy, meaning that not knowing something you were taking had a bad substance is no excuse, you have to show you were not carelessly consuming stuff without knowing what is in it. The only way to successfully appeal, aside from attacking the test result, is to basically prove that someone spiked your food. Good luck with that argument.

O.city 12-10-2011 07:45 PM

Yeah he's not getting out of this.

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8186917)
There are only two ways Braun can get out of this. He either needs to scientifically prove that the test was a false positive (which might be hard since a follow-up test showed synthetic testosterone), he was re-tested a few weeks later which came back negative. That second test is not necessarily relevant, but he's arguing that the difference between the extremely high first result and the extremely low second result was so big, that it proves a false positive. I don't know the science behind this, I assume the folks at the lab will explain what happened and why Braun's argument is or is not valid.

If that doesn't work, Braun would have to prove that food or supplements he was taken was tampered with by someone else without his knowledge. Baseball has a strict liability policy, meaning that not knowing something you were taking had a bad substance is no excuse, you have to show you were not carelessly consuming stuff without knowing what is in it. The only way to successfully appeal, aside from attacking the test result, is to basically prove that someone spiked your food. Good luck with that argument.

He's basically going to have to resort to the same arguments that every other athlete who's ever gotten caught with high testosterone uses. It usually doesn't work out.

alnorth 12-10-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8186927)
He's basically going to have to resort to the same arguments that every other athlete who's ever gotten caught with high testosterone uses. It usually doesn't work out.

no, not really. Its different now, baseball has a stricter policy. The standard barry bonds argument was that his trainer was injecting stuff into him that he assumed was legal, and he foolishly trusted his trainer to not give him something illegal. Maybe you could show you did not intentionally take something.

Now, baseball is saying "ok, you know what, we don't care if you didn't intend to take something, it is your job to know exactly what you are consuming. Unless something crazy or nefarious happens like someone secretly spiking your food, we don't want to hear any excuses"

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8186937)
no, not really. Its different now, baseball has a stricter policy. The standard barry bonds argument was that his trainer was injecting stuff into him that he assumed was legal, and he foolishly trusted his trainer to not give him something illegal. Maybe you could show you did not intentionally take something.

Now, baseball is saying "ok, you know what, we don't care if you didn't intend to take something, it is your job to know exactly what you are consuming. Unless something crazy or nefarious happens like someone secretly spiking your food, we don't want to hear any excuses"

I said athletes, not baseball players. Those arguments you cited are the ones that guys who get caught in any sport ALWAYS use.

And Barry Bonds was never caught on a drug test. The argument he made was in court.

whoman69 12-10-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8186858)
I have absolutely no problem with baseball players using PEDs. Never have. Makes the games more entertaining and the players play at a higher level.

Its also dangerous, especially in the levels used. So you're essentially telling players they have to put their lives on the line to keep up. Baseball is a sport that deals heavily in records. PEDs make the record books meaningless, in essense making baseball meaningless. To me pitching duels can be exciting. I don't like too much offense. The new rules in football make me remember a time when defense was exciting.

BigCatDaddy 12-10-2011 07:54 PM

Next up.... Jose Bautista.

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8186947)
Its also dangerous, especially in the levels used. So you're essentially telling players they have to put their lives on the line to keep up. Baseball is a sport that deals heavily in records. PEDs make the record books meaningless, in essense making baseball meaningless. To me pitching duels can be exciting. I don't like too much offense. The new rules in football make me remember a time when defense was exciting.

Steroids are no more dangerous for you than any number of legal drugs in this country that are currently available for anybody to use.

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 8186954)
Next up.... Jose Bautista.

I've personally been waiting for Albert Pujols to slip up forever.

SnakeXJones 12-10-2011 07:56 PM

LMAO

Frazod 12-10-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 8186916)
I always hated that douchebag ****. As if the Affliction-ripoff company wasn't enough, now he's added more ammo.

**** that guy.

I would also add

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bHddHPEs-X...lson_haha2.png

stonedstooge 12-10-2011 08:03 PM

Do they let players use them when they rehab a major injury?

ShowtimeSBMVP 12-10-2011 08:06 PM

jenladaJen Lada

From OTL: Source says Braun requested 2nd test. 2nd test not positive. Those close to RB believe difference will show 1st test was invalid.

jd1020 12-10-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 8187002)
jenladaJen Lada

From OTL: Source says Braun requested 2nd test. 2nd test not positive. Those close to RB believe difference will show 1st test was invalid.

The first test was mistakenly swapped with Pujols' vile.

GloryDayz 12-10-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8186912)
I sense some anger towards Zack Greinke here.

Just like JA. Good players who leave KC teams (and I don't care why or how justified it appears to be) can die in a fire as far as I'm concerned. They're all a bunch of quitting bassterdz!!! So yeah, Zach "the ball sack" can KMA and die in a fire for all I care!

alnorth 12-10-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8186943)
I said athletes, not baseball players. Those arguments you cited are the ones that guys who get caught in any sport ALWAYS use.

Ahh, fair enough, I was only thinking about baseball. I wonder how often athletes around the world beat back a positive test. I think I read about some soccer player or maybe its some other sport beating a test by showing that he ate tainted meat and they decided it would be unfair to punish him for that. Other than that? probably never.

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8187056)
Ahh, fair enough, I was only thinking about baseball. I wonder how often athletes around the world beat back a positive test. I think I read about some soccer player or maybe its some other sport beating a test by showing that he ate tainted meat and they decided it would be unfair to punish him for that. Other than that? probably never.

Yeah. And occasionally there's a mistake made by the testers (which almost everybody tries to argue), but it's rare.

jd1020 12-10-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8187060)
Yeah. And occasionally there's a mistake made by the testers (which almost everybody tries to argue), but it's rare.

If I read the article correctly, his urine was tested twice. It's highly unlikely 2 different labs made the same mistake.

Simply Red 12-10-2011 10:52 PM

a shame really.

Al Bundy 12-10-2011 11:02 PM

ESPN acting recklessly.... what a surprise.

Buck 12-10-2011 11:20 PM

When Shawne Merriman tested positive, he said he was suing the supplement company that gave him the stuff claiming they didn't list certain ingredients or something like that.

That lawsuit never happened.

KC_Connection 12-10-2011 11:31 PM

It's funny how nobody cares at all about PED use in football, but in baseball, it's some kind of huge travesty when somebody gets caught.

Ebolapox 12-10-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8187047)
The first test was mistakenly swapped with Pujols' vile.

vial.

jd1020 12-10-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 8187335)
vial.

Potato. Potahto.

Urine is pretty vile.

Caseyguyrr 12-11-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8186840)
So does this mean he can't make the HOF, then? That seems to be the current stupid policy of the baseball writers, though I'm guessing that will change down the road when they realize how many players used and are still using PEDs.

the way its looking, he wont make it based on the voters. what an idiot

KC_Connection 12-11-2011 12:12 AM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr....k56h4bFUMEQ%3D

FloridaMan88 12-11-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8187331)
It's funny how nobody cares at all about PED use in football, but in baseball, it's some kind of huge travesty when somebody gets caught.

That's because in baseball it has been some of the highest profile people in the sport getting caught.

McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod, etc. Braun may not be a household name, but he was the NL MVP this past year.

If someone like Rodgers, Brady or Manning got caught taking steroids there would be a similar uproar.

Caseyguyrr 12-11-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8187386)

about right

Pasta Little Brioni 12-11-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88 (Post 8187387)
That's because in baseball it has been some of the highest profile people in the sport getting caught.

McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod, etc. Braun may not be a household name, but he was the NL MVP this past year.

If someone like Rodgers, Brady or Manning got caught taking steroids there would be a similar uproar.

No, it's all about the precious records. Nobody really cares too much about the football ones, but they are a spank bank to baseball fans.

whoman69 12-11-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8186958)
Steroids are no more dangerous for you than any number of legal drugs in this country that are currently available for anybody to use.

Except those are prescribed by doctors with controlled use. Steroids are provided by essentially drug dealers.

lewdog 12-11-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8187801)
Except those are prescribed by doctors with controlled use. Steroids are provided by essentially drug dealers.

Yea and since steroids are illegal, buying them off drug dealers is definitely risky. Numerous reports on the internet of guys buying 'roids that actually turn out to be cat piss and other such things.

ShowtimeSBMVP 12-11-2011 11:43 AM

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Source: Braun tested positive for a prohibited substance, not a performance-enhancing drug. More coming on FOXSports.com. #Brewers #MLB

Marcellus 12-11-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 8188033)
Source: Braun tested positive for a prohibited substance, not a performance-enhancing drug. More coming on FOXSports.com. #Brewers #MLB

I thought he tested positive for synthetic testosterone?

alnorth 12-11-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 8188033)

wait, what? I thought it was synthetic testosterone, not MJ or something like that

alnorth 12-11-2011 12:52 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/R...pension-121111

Rosenthal's source has clarified that, though not a PED, he tested positive for something that violates the Steroid/PED policy, and that no one has ever tested positive for this substance in the history of MLB's testing program.

Quote:

The source described the test result as highly unusual, “never seen in the history of (baseball’s) drug-prevention program.”

“When it happened,” the source said, “everyone was just scratching their head.”
So, if it is not a PED, and is not a recreational drug, and no one in baseball has ever tested positive for it before, but does trigger a violation of the steroid policy, what the hell is it?

The source went on to say:

Quote:

There are highly unusual circumstances surrounding this case which will support Ryan's complete innocence and demonstrate that there was absolutely no intentional violation of the program. While Ryan has impeccable character and no previous history, unfortunately, because of the process we have to maintain confidentiality and are not able to discuss it any further, but we are confident that he will ultimately be exonerated.
But, until someone other than Braun or someone being paid by Braun says that, I'll dismiss that as PR-speak.

Some people are thinking maybe he was positive for a masking agent, which is basically the same as testing positive for PED's as far as the rules are concerned, for obvious reasons. Others on the internet are thinking maybe he tested positive for a stimulant, which would be a 25-game suspension instead of a 50-game.

Buck 12-11-2011 12:58 PM

He drank a Surge and Jolt Cola just before his test.

alnorth 12-11-2011 01:04 PM

A story on cnn uses slightly different wording from the original report which might be a clue. The story on cnn said the first test showed high levels of testosterone, triggering the second test, which showed a synthetic substance. (The ESPN report said synthetic testosterone) That may imply rather than taking synthetic testosterone (which would make him guilty as hell), maybe he took something else, which as a side-effect led to higher natural testosterone.

Assuming that is the case, if it is a substance known to lead to higher natural testosterone, he's still guilty unless it was a medically necessary prescription. If it is a substance not known to lead to higher testosterone, and we are only now discovering that it does do that, then he might get out of it and this substance could be added to the banned list.

That is all wild speculation in an effort to make sense of Rosenthal's cryptic source given the report, it might just be lazy editing by CNN.

alnorth 12-11-2011 05:11 PM

Few more details.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ticle-1.990020

The test result for testosterone was "insanely high", twice the level of anyone else who has ever failed the test in the entire history of that test. Not just among baseball players, but from anyone that they knew about who ever took that test in the world.

Aside from pointing at the insanely-high result as an indication that the test result in this case could be flawed, Braun's people are also going to argue that there were chain-of-custody issues with the samples.

BigCatDaddy 12-11-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8191213)
Few more details.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ticle-1.990020

The test result for testosterone was "insanely high", twice the level of anyone else who has ever failed the test in the entire history of that test. Not just among baseball players, but from anyone that they knew about who ever took that test in the world.

Aside from pointing at the insanely-high result as an indication that the test result in this case could be flawed, Braun's people are also going to argue that there were chain-of-custody issues with the samples.

Damn. I wonder what level he tested at.

alnorth 12-11-2011 05:46 PM

couple the "insanely high" result with the alleged chain of custody problems, and one may be tempted to think of conspiracy theories.

Buck 12-15-2011 01:51 AM

I guess he actually was being treated for herpes.

|Zach| 12-15-2011 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8191213)

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/...esting_man.jpg

jd1020 12-15-2011 02:23 AM

It's hard for me to believe he was doping when you've got a test that was off the charts insane followed immediately by a negative test.

Braun might be the first person to win an appeal on a positive test.

Buck 12-15-2011 02:25 AM

Did you not see my post?

He was being treated for herpes. It caused a spike in testosterone.

Fairplay 12-15-2011 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8205244)
Did you not see my post?

Read his post for crying out loud.

-King- 12-15-2011 02:51 AM

That's terrible. Either admit to the world that you were doping or admit that you have herpes. That's a no win situation of I ever heard one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck 12-15-2011 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairplay (Post 8205259)
Read his post for crying out loud.

I did. I'm telling him exactly what happened.

KC_Connection 12-15-2011 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8205244)
Did you not see my post?

And you're getting this information from where? LMAO

There have been a number of ridiculous, bogus excuses I've heard for Braun's test (I certainly never heard such excuse making for Manny two years ago), but this might be the best one yet.

Buck 12-15-2011 03:51 AM

The Internet.

KC_Connection 12-15-2011 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8205269)
The Internet.

Yes, that contains very credible stuff like this: http://boards.ign.com/teh_vestibule/...7520393/p1/?16

Quote:

A message from my friend who is a trainer for the Brewers:

I have inside information on the Braun situation. I heard this
yesterday from one source but did not want to jump on it because I was
not sure it was true however I have now heard it from two friends who
both work for the Brewers. According to them Bruan will be let off
because he tested positive for Herpes and the medication given to him
by his doctor (legal to fight this) is what caused the spike. Braun
and his lawyers plan to go after whoever leaked the story because of
HIPPA laws. That is why Braun has not made a statement and that is
also why in Mark's statement he referenced it being a "personal
issue". So will see what happens but from the sounds it the Brewers
brass is pretty confident he will be let off. Still extremely
embarrassing for him but better than roids and more importantly better
for the team. I guess one thing we did learn about Braun through this
whole ordeal is he is not exactly intelligent.

Another link: http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articl...herpes/8737903

A bit of advice that I'm sure you've heard before: don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Especially stuff that is so clearly nonsense.

Buck 12-15-2011 04:00 AM

Thanks for the advice.

Also, this just in, Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds had herpes in the early to mid 2000s.

KC_Connection 12-15-2011 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8205271)
Thanks for the advice.

Also, this just in, Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds had herpes in the early to mid 2000s.

No, they just took PEDs and became two of the greatest players in the sport's history. Like Braun was apparently trying to do.

I have enjoyed the excuse making over the past week, though. That herpes rumor is only the latest in a long line of bullshit. Baseball fans, on the whole, REALLY seem to want Braun to be PED-free. Keeps the illusion alive for them that the game is clean for a little bit longer, I guess.

BigCatDaddy 12-15-2011 08:21 AM

What medication treates herpes that causes an increase in Test?

Chief Roundup 12-15-2011 09:33 AM

Doesn't suprise me. I never have liked the guy his attitude sucks. I don't like any of the Brewers and their attitude. Is 50 games enough how about 2 years.

Chief Roundup 12-15-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 8205372)
What medication treates herpes that causes an increase in Test?

It is probably because of him and Nijer Morgan sucking on each others....