ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Was anything posted about Soria leaving the Royals? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270169)

God of Thunder 02-18-2013 09:51 PM

Was anything posted about Soria leaving the Royals?

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/new...ook_kc&c_id=kc

Quote:

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Former Royals closer Joakim Soria is now with the Rangers and, even though he's in the same training complex, he's keeping his distance from his old teammates. He's staying on the Texas side of the Surprise facility.

"I went over there before Spring Training to see them, but now we're getting serious," he said. "This is my home. I have nothing to do with them. This is my new home."

Soria signed with the Rangers as a free agent after the Royals declined to exercise an $8 million option for his 2013 salary. Soria underwent Tommy John surgery at the end of Spring Training last year.

DaveNull 02-18-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Soria underwent Tommy John surgery at the end of Spring Training last year.
and was no longer worth $8 million a year.

Demonpenz 02-18-2013 09:59 PM

Whew those couple years he was awesome.

KcMizzou 02-18-2013 09:59 PM

He's been gone for a while.

wazu 02-18-2013 11:04 PM

Has any athlete ever destroyed their own mojo as thoroughly as Soria did by decrying his own awesome, fan-loved nickname?

Kyle DeLexus 02-18-2013 11:08 PM

Should have traded him when his value was high.

wazu 02-18-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle DeLexus (Post 9414471)
Should have traded him when his value was high.

Easy to say in hindsight. He was one of the only bright spots on the team for awhile. At the top of his game and loved by fans. The best times at Kauffman were when "Welcome to the Jungle" blared on the speakers as he walked in to close out games.

I think the bigger indictment of the Royals is the crazy number of TJ surgeries their pitchers in general are having to undergo. Something is very broken there.

Dante84 02-18-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9414463)
Has any athlete ever destroyed their own mojo as thoroughly as Soria did by decrying his own awesome, fan-loved nickname?

To be fair, there were (and are) a shit ton of Mexicutions that happen down there because of the cartels.

wazu 02-18-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 9414549)
To be fair, there were (and are) a shit ton of Mexicutions that happen down there because of the cartels.

Really? Even after Soria disowned his awesome nickname? I thought that might solve the problem.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-18-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9414540)
Easy to say in hindsight. He was one of the only bright spots on the team for awhile. At the top of his game and loved by fans. The best times at Kauffman were when "Welcome to the Jungle" blared on the speakers as he walked in to close out games.

I think the bigger indictment of the Royals is the crazy number of TJ surgeries their pitchers in general are having to undergo. Something is very broken there.

No, that was easy to say at the time: he was an overvalued commodity on a team that didn't need him, and could use the return on investment. The Royals held on to their cards too long and lost out on potential value as a result.

Dante84 02-18-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9414562)
Really? Even after Soria disowned his awesome nickname? I thought that might solve the problem.

eh, I think he just thought it was distasteful.

If he had a sick curveball, and was from SW Missouri, it would probably be distasteful to call him the "Joplinado."

Demonpenz 02-18-2013 11:36 PM

Viva La Soria

cosmo20002 02-18-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9414463)

Having a badass nickname for your badass closer loses a little of the zing when your team is only winning a couple games a week though.

Kyle DeLexus 02-19-2013 02:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9414573)
No, that was easy to say at the time: he was an overvalued commodity on a team that didn't need him, and could use the return on investment. The Royals held on to their cards too long and lost out on potential value as a result.

Hamas is right. A top closer is just a luxury item for a team like the Royals back then and he would have gotten them a good return from a playoff team that needed a top closer. You can't build a team around a closer, so they should have dealt him for a player(s) you can build a team around.

lewdog 02-19-2013 06:18 PM

Closers are the most over-valued position in baseball. Find a good one, then find a team dumb enough to trade a ton for him.

Good mid-relievers come in during much tighter situations and are much more valuable for winning close games.

DeezNutz 02-19-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

I argued for the need to trade him so many damn times that it wasn't even funny.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-19-2013 06:33 PM

Yes... to the thread title question. Maybe not as thread but in the Royals repository thread.

BigRedChief 02-19-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 9414185)
and was no longer worth $8 million a year.

Should have traded him when he was worth a lot of trade value.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-19-2013 06:56 PM

It's easy for people to say we should have traded him while his value was high but people forget that until the last year or two our bullpen was absolute crap. How many leads/wins did they blow? Way too damn many. So on those occasions when we had a late lead we had Soria at least to close it out (when he was good). Trading him would have been a sure sign that the team had given up/didn't care... the same things so many teeth gnashing Royals fans have lamented over and over.

Yeah he went south... had problems staying healthy. Shit happens. There was a time not that long ago when he was about the only reliable pitcher we had, especially out of the pen. So sue the Royals for keeping him and trying to win those games.

A trade at his peak would have gone over like a turd in the punchbowl. Bulletin boards would have exploded. Oh the horror. It's easy to look back now with 20/20 vision.

CoMoChief 02-19-2013 07:09 PM

NOSOTROS CREMOS!!!

DeezNutz 02-19-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9416800)
A trade at his peak would have gone over like a turd in the punchbowl. Bulletin boards would have exploded. Oh the horror. It's easy to look back now with 20/20 vision.

It's not hindsight. People would have bitched about the trade because they don't know what the **** they're talking about in the first place.

Would the team have lost a few more games? Potentially. But when you're losing damn near 100 anyway, who gives a ****.

If a high-quality reliever can generate a potentially high-quality position player or starter, you make that trade every single day when you're a shit club.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-19-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9416917)
It's not hindsight. People would have bitched about the trade because they don't know what the **** they're talking about in the first place.

Would the team have lost a few more games? Potentially. But when you're losing damn near 100 anyway, who gives a ****.

If a high-quality reliever can generate a potentially high-quality position player or starter, you make that trade every single day when you're a shit club.

I'm not going to spend a second blaming the Royals for not trading Soria when he was the only good thing they had in the pen. Who gives a shit? The Royals. I really don't care what any fan thinks. Fans always know best yet none of them have jobs in MLB. They had one proven commodity and they held onto it. Terrible to some. Fine with me.

Mr. Laz 02-19-2013 07:44 PM

he wanted to leave clear back after Greinke did

DeezNutz 02-19-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9416938)
I'm not going to spend a second blaming the Royals for not trading Soria when he was the only good thing they had in the pen. Who gives a shit? The Royals. I really don't care what any fan thinks. Fans always know best yet none of them have jobs in MLB. They had one proven commodity and they held onto it. Terrible to some. Fine with me.

You know that this is completely false, of course. The one thing that DM's dumb ****ing ass has been capable of is assembling a pen.

And the second bold has never been stated before.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-19-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9416953)
You know that this is completely false, of course. The one thing that DM's dumb ****ing ass has been capable of is assembling a pen.

And the second bold has never been stated before.

I remember our bp blowing lead after lead and game after game not long ago. Soria was for a while about the only sure thing we had.

As for the rest I'm not interested in arguing with you. We disagree on several things. So be it.

SAUTO 02-19-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9416938)

And what did that get us?

Meaningless wins. He could have been traded for somethingthat could contribute when were are pushing for the playoffs.

Or the player could have sucked. If he had he would have contributed just as much as soria the past couple years
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz 02-19-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9416988)

Happiness, you stupid ****ing fan. Now go pick up that wrapper.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-19-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9416988)

Meaningless wins. He could have been traded for somethingthat could contribute when were are pushing for the playoffs.

Or the player could have sucked. If he had he would have contributed just as much as soria the past couple years
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes I know. Hindsight is easy. **** the Royals for keeping a good player. The point in time where it would have happened is moot. Yadda yadda. Yawn.

SAUTO 02-19-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9417013)
Yes I know. Hindsight is easy. **** the Royals for keeping a good player. The point in time where it would have happened is moot. Yadda yadda. Yawn.

It's not hindsight when it was advocated for at the time.

But continue with the yadda yadda yawn
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-19-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9417089)
It's not hindsight when it was advocated for at the time.

But continue with the yadda yadda yawn
Posted via Mobile Device

OK. Advocated for by who? Bulletin board experts? Oh hell, the Royals didn't listen to the fans who knew better.

No matter the topic these places (CP and the like) always know best but the people who have the most to say spend a lot of time posting their genius rather than applying for jobs with the club they know so much more about.

SAUTO 02-19-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9417145)
OK. Advocated for by who? Bulletin board experts? Oh hell, the Royals didn't listen to the fans who knew better.

No matter the topic these places (CP and the like) always know best but the people who have the most to say spend a lot of time posting their genius rather than applying for jobs with the club they know so much more about.

Ok so a message board person that said we should trade him because he was going to break down before the kids were ready.

The royals choose to keep him and win a few extra games when they were losing almost a hundred every year and out of it by June.

Who was right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-19-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9417177)
Ok so a message board person that said we should trade him because he was going to break down before the kids were ready.

The royals choose to keep him and win a few extra games when they were losing almost a hundred every year and out of it by June.

Who was right?
Posted via Mobile Device

The same people who scoffed at Luis Mendoza in the beginning. The same people who thought nothing of Phillipe Paulino when he was signed. The same people who made fun of signing Jeremy Guthrie because he was a has-been/never was who was only signed by the Royals in the aftermath of the Jonathan Sanchez debacle. The same people who thought Alex Gordon was a wash up and the proof was being moved to the outfield.

Eric Hosmer had a bad year. Mike Moustakas had a meh second half. I don't see people wanting to cut loose of them right now. Give each of them another slow start and the wolves will be knocking though. Then extend that slow start into a full year and the Royals will (have been) stupid not to trade them when their value was the highest... and the circle jerk goes on.

SAUTO 02-19-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9417239)
The same people who scoffed at Luis Mendoza in the beginning. The same people who thought nothing of Phillipe Paulino when he was signed. The same people who made fun of signing Jeremy Guthrie because he was a has-been/never was who was only signed by the Royals in the aftermath of the Jonathan Sanchez debacle. The same people who thought Alex Gordon was a wash up and the proof was being moved to the outfield.

Eric Hosmer had a bad year. Mike Moustakas had a meh second half. I don't see people wanting to cut loose of them right now. Give each of them another slow start and the wolves will be knocking though. Then extend that slow start into a full year and the Royals will (have been) stupid not to trade them when their value was the highest... and the circle jerk goes on.

Yadda yadda yadda yawn.

Who said to trade those guys last year?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-19-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9417264)
Yadda yadda yadda yawn.

Who said to trade those guys last year?
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL ok. I know there's no "winning" a debate on CP. There's only varying degrees of inepitude.

SAUTO 02-19-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9417284)
. I know there's no "winning" a debate on CP. .

Maybe for you. LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-19-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9417289)
Maybe for you. LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

As long as you feel like you won because I only pointed out 6 examples (4 past, 2 future) of the moronfest that is fans knowing better I'm happy for you. Congratulations on being smarter than me and the Royals. I hope you get the GM job next. Pulling for ya.

SAUTO 02-19-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9417305)
As long as you feel like you won because I only pointed out 6 examples (4 past, 2 future) of the moronfest that is fans knowing better I'm happy for you. Congratulations on being smarter than me and the Royals. I hope you get the GM job next. Pulling for ya.

actually I was kidding. The LMAO should have tipped it off, but you can go **** yourself.

The six examples were in no way the same as the Soria situation.

He was a good player that could have potentially been swapped for a great young prospect. Or more.

He also had injury concerns. Some wanted to make the trade because of this and the fact the Youngs were father away at that point

No other of the first four could someone say that about. All had not done well prior. No wonder some didn't want them.

Your last two "future examples" were made up. Can't see how you would think that would help your argument at this point
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-19-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9417336)
actually I was kidding. The LMAO should have tipped it off, but you can go **** yourself.

The six examples were in no way the same as the Soria situation.

He was a good player that could have potentially been swapped for a great young prospect. Or more.

He also had injury concerns. Some wanted to make the trade because of this and the fact the Youngs were father away at that point

No other of the first four could someone say that about. All had not done well prior. No wonder some didn't want them.

Your last two "future examples" were made up. Can't see how you would think that would help your argument at this point
Posted via Mobile Device

If I were actually able to go **** myself I'd never leave the house. It's not bendy like that though and I don't have the right corresponding parts.

The point was fans here or anywhere aren't always right even if they think they are... which they very often do. Fans don't know the ins and outs of what goes on. They don't know actual team goals or philosophys. It's fun to put ourselves in the GM's shoes but none of us are capable... and I don't care what anyone here thinks of that. We aren't.

SAUTO 02-19-2013 09:28 PM

Yawn.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-19-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9417392)
Yawn.
Posted via Mobile Device

If that's all you've got left I'll go ahead and declare victory!

WOOT!

:D