ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs MELLINGER: Chiefs fans feel ignored (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265717)

pr_capone 10-25-2012 10:02 PM

MELLINGER: Chiefs fans feel ignored

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/25...l-ignored.html

Quote:

The coupons caught Clark Hunt’s attention.

Jim Lakey was just creative and gutsy and fed-up enough to think they might. So after he wrote a letter to the Chiefs owner detailing a list of mistakes and slights on Kansas City, Jim took two days’ worth of newspaper coupons and stuffed them in the envelope to “help” the team sign more discounted free agents.

“However many were in The Star,” Jim says of the coupons. “Probably about 200 of them.”

Lakey is 66, a retired associate dean at UMKC. He lives in Kansas City and has cheered for the Chiefs for years. This isn’t the first letter he’s written. Clark’s father, Lamar, wrote Jim back a few times. Jim mentioned this in his words to Clark, essentially daring the younger Hunt to write back.

Jim didn’t expect an invitation to Clark’s office.

“I wondered if he just wanted to see who the nutcase is who sent all the coupons,” Jim says.

Jim sent me a copy of the letter, and described the meeting when I reached out.

Maybe you’re surprised that Clark Hunt invited a critical fan to his office. It doesn’t fit the narrative pushed by many in this town of an absentee owner who cares more about profits than football, but the story of the country’s most dysfunctional sports marriage is more complicated than a sound bite or oversimplified caricature.

The saddest part is that the Chiefs and their fans should be sharing unending bliss, not a vague, mutual distaste. This used to be a model partnership, one that made each side stronger.

The Chiefs once brought big-time sports to one of the NFL’s smallest markets, and their fans made the players, coaches and management-types rich and adored. This was peanut butter and jelly, fall and football, Christmas and children. One made the other better.

No team in the NFL had a better homefield advantage than the Chiefs in the 1990s. Arrowhead Stadium was, literally, a game-changer. Las Vegas sports books pushed their point spreads a little further. Opposing teams spent a little more time coordinating silent snap counts. Players talked of their heads ringing for days after games here, even if they never got hit that hard.

That’s all gone now, of course. The Chiefs have lost 28 of their last 40 home games. Only three of those 12 wins came against teams that finished with a winning record.

Three weeks ago, fans paid to fly a banner over Arrowhead before a home game. It called for general manager Scott Pioli to be fired. This weekend, they’ll do it again.

In three weeks, they’ll encourage fans to wear black to a game at Arrowhead — mourning the loss of their joy.

“The Chiefs are my longest-lasting relationship,” says Eric Grannell, a 32-year-old man from Wichita who’s organized what amounts to a fan revolt called Save Our Chiefs. “I’m having a public fight with my girlfriend, is what it feels like.”

This is the loudest and largest group of frustrated fans, and Grannell says “nobody with any authority has said anything to us.” They feel ignored, they feel taken advantage of, and they feel that they’ve been taken for granted.

The Chiefs seem to think Grannell’s group will be angry no matter what, and maybe that’s right. But the Chiefs haven’t tried to bridge the gap, and these are some of their most passionate fans.

The Chiefs are broken, and they don’t seem able or willing to fix themselves. Not right now, anyway.

Hunt, team president Mark Donovan and general manager Pioli know they have a problem. What’s not clear is how much of the problem they’re willing to own blame for, or how much of the problem they foolishly dismiss as false perception.

Pioli did a series of interviews last week but largely avoided direct responses to the questions fans most wanted answered. Hunt and Donovan each declined requests to talk for this column, and neither has talked publicly since the beginning of the season.

They are letting fan sentiment get away from them, or perhaps more accurately, they are now wearing the consequences of too much previous negligence. It’s normal for fans to be upset at a 1-5 team, but it’s extraordinary for fans to be upset enough to fly banners over the stadium and come to games dressed for a funeral. Some inside the Chiefs’ offices want to portray the Save Our Chiefs movement as a vocal minority, and maybe they’re right.

After all, how could you tell for sure?

“That’s a great question,” says David Carter, executive director of USC’s Sports Business Institute. “And maybe this is a weird answer, but I don’t know that you need to. If you run a team, or any business, you should be out in front about what your customers’ issues are. You shouldn’t have to wait to find out what’s driving them crazy.”

The Chiefs actually interact more with fans than popular narrative gives them credit for. Hunt and Donovan do some of this personally; Hunt spends at least a little time before each game talking with fans in the parking lot, and has invited some in for lunch during the week.

But what they’re doing is the equivalent of fighting rising waters with a colander. Actually, if you consider the previous neglect when it comes to large-scale fan interaction, they’re fighting rising waters with a colander after not paying for flood insurance.

Some inside the Chiefs’ offices think this is all blown out of proportion. They blame the 1-5 record, ignoring that losing only exposes issues that have been building for years. They point to letters from fans who are still supportive, but comfort taken in the relative few who refuse to acknowledge their problems is as counterproductive as worry over the relative few who refuse to see any positives.

The Chiefs do too much of both, which is a small but telling example of how they helped create this mess.

The Chiefs are run by smart people who care. The aggravating part is their lousy way of showing it to the masses.

Lakey, the coupon clipper, says he and his wife spent about two hours in Clark Hunt’s office. Lake had wanted the letter to be noticed, which is why he made a candy-wrapper joke, but he couldn’t be sure if he went too far by essentially mocking Hunt and talking of giving up season tickets for yardwork.

Jim didn’t think he’d be invited to Hunt’s office, and certainly didn’t think the owner would go through various draft classes, pick by pick, voicing disappointment in some and pride in others.

“He was very nice, very cordial,” Jim says.

Jim liked that Hunt listened, that he asked questions. Hunt treated Jim like he mattered, which is essentially what all fans want. Jim had his chance to criticize spending, personnel decisions and what he saw as a detached way of operating.

“I came out of there believing the guy cares,” Jim says. “I think he’s genuinely concerned that he has a perception problem. I think he understands this.”

Jim is one man. The problem is that Hunt and the Chiefs aren’t doing nearly enough for the thousands of others with legitimate frustrations. They haven’t for years.

The irony of Jim’s story is that the Chiefs obviously know how to get their message across. They just aren’t doing it on a scale worthy of an NFL franchise, and the result is hurting both sides, team and fan, whose formerly strong bond is now infected with mistrust.

pr_capone 10-25-2012 10:03 PM

TW beat me there

cabletech94 10-25-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9050655)
TW beat me there

in this case, totally cool, man!:clap:

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-25-2012 10:10 PM

Maybe once Clark feels ignored he'll feel the fans pain.

Hammock Parties 10-25-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

The Chiefs once brought big-time sports to one of the NFL’s smallest markets, and their fans made the players, coaches and management-types rich and adored. This was peanut butter and jelly, fall and football, Christmas and children. One made the other better.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs3/2065109_o.gif

notorious 10-25-2012 10:13 PM

Go out and kiss babies in public, Clark. It's not going to change a ****ing thing.

GM, QB. That is what it is going to take to un**** this situation.

Ace Gunner 10-25-2012 10:14 PM

snore

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-25-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9050664)

I can't speak for everyone but I know I'd take you more seriously if you spoke from the heart more and posted gifs less.

BossChief 10-25-2012 10:14 PM

I miss the enjoyment I used to get from watching the Chiefs.

Hammock Parties 10-25-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9050669)
I can't speak for everyone but I know I'd take you more seriously if you spoke from the heart more and posted gifs less.

That GIF is my heart after reading that passage.

tk13 10-25-2012 10:17 PM

They're right, winning will fix this. So go do it.

RunKC 10-25-2012 10:18 PM

We'll find out how much Clark really cares about us on December 31st

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-25-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9050672)
That GIF is my heart after reading that passage.

I just find actual words more meaningful. Might be just me. I have no doubt about your passion. Just seems to me that you're more about show than substance a lot of the time.

Hammock Parties 10-25-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9050675)

Dec. 31st is my birthday.

It's destiny.

HemiEd 10-25-2012 10:21 PM

I feel all warm now

SPchief 10-25-2012 10:26 PM

Clark is in on damage controll now. Pioli is as good as gone

FAX 10-25-2012 10:29 PM

"The Chiefs seem to think Grannell’s group will be angry no matter what, and maybe that’s right."

This bothers me. It dovetails with the idea that the banner flyers are merely a loud minority.

That idea has to be squashed. And pronto. If the Chiefs can sell themselves and the media that SaveOurChiefs is merely a small cadre of overly dramatic, rude, attention-seekers (likely the same ones who cheered Cassel's injury, etc.), that will go a long way in stalling the movement. We need some kind of response that makes it clear SOC is a majority. A couple thousand letters from the twat followers ought to do it.

FAX

jspchief 10-25-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9050670)
I miss the enjoyment I used to get from watching the Chiefs.

Yep. It pisses me off that I spend 8 months anticipating the season, and I end up disinterested after 4 weeks because the team gives me so little to cheer about. I hate that it's Raider week and no one cares.

FAX 10-25-2012 10:30 PM

Somebody needs to dress up like the "Anonymous" dude and mobilize a letter-writing campaign to both Mellinger and Clark.

FAX

Hammock Parties 10-25-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 9050690)

:hmmm:

If Clark is putting out stories trying to get fans to feel good about him....maybe....maybe......

pr_capone 10-25-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9050695)
Somebody needs to dress up like the "Anonymous" dude and mobilize a letter-writing campaign to both Mellinger and Clark.

FAX

Guy Fawkes

Tribal Warfare 10-25-2012 10:33 PM

We need to burn this ****er down.

Hammock Parties 10-25-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9050692)
"The Chiefs seem to think Grannell’s group will be angry no matter what, and maybe that’s right."

We've been angry since Vermeil left.

And justifiably so.

****ing trainwreck.

If the Chiefs were smart, and put a winning, kickass product on the field, "Grannell's Group" would be down on both knees servicing the franchise.

Hammock Parties 10-25-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 9050700)
Guy Fawkes

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...75763555_n.jpg

Tribal Warfare 10-25-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9050707)

November is coming

BossChief 10-25-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9050693)
Yep. It pisses me off that I spend 8 months anticipating the season, and I end up disinterested after 4 weeks because the team gives me so little to cheer about. I hate that it's Raider week and no one cares.

It sure does suck.

I used to get pumped when the Raiders were coming to town. It was like football Christmas or something...now, I actually HOPE they lose.

Matt Cassel and Pioli have been the worst thing to ever happen to my fanhood.

Ace Gunner 10-25-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9050675)

I'm hoping/expecting to find out sooner. If this ****stick is going to continue protecting Pioli from the meanies, I'm done with the Chiefs. I'll stick with my home town team and leave this in the dust. I've always liked rooting for the underdog, the Chiefs hit my radar first when they upset the Vikes. I followed them a bit when Marv Levy came in, liked the direction of the team and liked Marty and his time, but I never really became a full fledged fan until I took an assignment in KC a few years ago, '07. I moved on to LA and kept following them, but this is just becoming empty for me. Clark does not know what he's doing. His passion for sports is translating to the field -- this team is passionless. He'll need to prove me wrong here or I'm done.

FAX 10-25-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 9050690)

Man ... I didn't get any kind of feel good from that article. Just the opposite.

It reveals the Chiefs' spin on this deal pretty clearly and it isn't good. It's smart, but it isn't good. They want to traduce SaveOurChiefs, re-cast the movement, and change the topic from the Chiefs' failures to a mob's incoherent ravings.

FAX

RealSNR 10-25-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9050669)

If a picture is worth 1000 words, then a gif is worth 1000n words, where n = the number of frames in the gif.

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2012 10:39 PM

If Clark is going through draft choices one-by-one, as the article mentions, Pioli is a goner.

There has been no bigger draft failure in the past four years than Scott Pioli.

His drafts make Carl Peterson Pro Football Hall of Fame worthy, where Hall of Fame where statues of Jack Steadman and Jim Schaaf greet each person as they enter.

Pioli is a ****ing disaster of epic proportion and anyone that has a differing opinion should be physically or chemically castrated.

Or both.

FAX 10-25-2012 10:40 PM

Perception vs. reality. The Chiefs are changing the story line. It doesn't matter if fans have been angry since Mr. Bob Dole lost his virginity. What matters is that they paint SOC as a basement clubhouse of drunken, half-witted, raving lunatics.

FAX

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9050722)
Perception vs. reality. The Chiefs are changing the story line. It doesn't matter if fans have been angry since Mr. Bob Dole lost his virginity. What matters is that they paint SOC as a basement clubhouse of drunken, half-witted, raving lunatics.

FAX

Which, coincidentally, is exactly where Mr. Bob Dole lost his virginity.

jspchief 10-25-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9050704)
We've been angry since Vermeil left....

Yes and no.

I think a lot of fans were (relatively) patient with the post Vermeil era. It was a very old team that had to be torn down and rebuilt. And while fans weren't happy with the losses or Herm's coaching, I think a lot of them recognized that it was a team that was devoid of talent due to that demolition job.

The problem now is they tore it down and built the foundation, and now all the bricks and lumber are lying around rotting while the general contractor trips over his own dick.

I don't consider the current state of fan anger to be the same as it was 6 years ago, nor is it totally just a larger version of the snowball. People know that this team is capable of much better, and the front office is not only holding them down, they are flipping off the fans in the process.

notorious 10-25-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9050722)
SOC as a basement clubhouse of drunken, half-witted, raving lunatics.

FAX

Uh-oh. You might be onto something.

BossChief 10-25-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9050720)
There has been no bigger draft failure in the past four years than Scott Pioli.

This, I totally disagree with.

Sorry.

I think this team has a whole lot of talent that is being wasted because Pioli has been unable to sign a good quarterback or coach.

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9050726)
Yes and no.

I think a lot of fans were (relatively) patient with the post Vermeil era. It was a very old team that had to be torn down and rebuilt. And while fans weren't happy with the losses or Herm's coaching, I think a lot of them recognized that it was a team that was devoid of talent due to that demolition job.

The problem now is they tore it down and built the foundation, and now all the bricks and lumber are lying around rotting while the general contractor trips over his own dick.

I don't consider the current state of fan anger to be the same as it was 6 years ago, nor is it totally just a larger version of the snowball. People know that this team is capable of much better, and the front office is not only holding them down, they are flipping off the fans in the process.

Personally, I hated the Vermeil hire and his tenure. It set the franchise back five years.

Eight, if you count the "continuation" that Herm brought.

Hammock Parties 10-25-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9050720)
If Clark is going through draft choices one-by-one, as the article mentions, Pioli is a goner.

This is immediately what I thought, too.

Especially if he's taking fans into his office and essentially talking shit on the GM by criticizing draft picks.

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9050729)
This, I totally disagree with.

Sorry.

How so?

As I said on draft day 2009, Tyson Jackson was the WORST pick in franchise history.

The entire 2009 draft was a ****ing disaster of epic proportions that set back this franchise for four years, at least.

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-25-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9050717)
If a picture is worth 1000 words, then a gif is worth 1000n words, where n = the number of frames in the gif.

Still doesn't work for me. If you have something to say then say it. I don't doubt Claytons passion, as I said. GIF's just feel like cheap cop out to me. Like not trying.

Doesn't matter anyway.

Phobia 10-25-2012 10:44 PM

They have another surprise coming. Jerks.

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9050729)
I think this team has a whole lot of talent that is being wasted because Pioli has been unable to sign a good quarterback or coach.

Who? Who on this ****ing team that Pioli drafted SHOULD be performing at a higher level that isn't?

Half the mother****ing draft picks are GONE and the other half, outside of Justin Houston and maybe Berry, were overdrafted and/or suck ass.

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-25-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9050730)
Personally, I hated the Vermeil hire and his tenure. It set the franchise back five years.

Eight, if you count the "continuation" that Herm brought.

You and I don't agree on much but we do on this. Vermeil was a complete joke. Yeah nice offense. Too bad you need a defense too. I hate Vermeil.

RealSNR 10-25-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9050738)
Who? Who on this ****ing team that Pioli drafted SHOULD be performing at a higher level that isn't?

Half the mother****ing draft picks are GONE and the other half, outside of Justin Houston and maybe Berry, were overdrafted and/or suck ass.

Baldwin and Breaston could be doing a HELL of a lot more with a remotely good QB and a competent coach.

And... yeah, that's all I got. I guess Charles, the run game, and all the offensive line guys that Pioli has brought in would greatly benefit from the QB change as well.

BossChief 10-25-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9050732)
How so?

As I said on draft day 2009, Tyson Jackson was the WORST pick in franchise history.

The entire 2009 draft was a ****ing disaster of epic proportions that set back this franchise for four years, at least.

I dont disagree with a word of this post. In fact I totally agree with it. The only good pick from that draft was a kicker taken with a comp pick (I know, I know Barth is better and I agree, but Succop is a good kicker).

Funny that Belcher is probably the best player from that offseason and he didn't get here until Phil Emery was brought in and wanted him, not Pioli.

My disagreement is with the draft classes after the 2009 dumpster fire.

2010 and 2011 were damn good draft classes and 2012 was above average.

If you would like me to continue, should I use my words, or yours?

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9050744)
I dont disagree with a word of this post. In fact I totally agree with it. The only good picks from that draft were a kicker taken with a comp pick (I know, I know Barth is better and I agree, but Succop is a good kicker).

Funny that Belcher is probably the best player from that offseason and he didn't get here until Phil Emery was brought in and wanted him, not Pioli.

My disagreement is with the draft classes after the 2009 dumpster fire.

2010 and 2011 were damn good draft classes and 2012 was above average.

If you would like me to continue, should I use my words, or yours?

My quotes in 2010 are irrelevant because whatever hope I had has dissipated due to their individual and collective performances (I wasn't around for the 2011 draft).

See, Pioli is paid $5 million a year to know more that I do. Although more often than not, he knows less.

He's a disaster.

cdcox 10-25-2012 10:52 PM

Clark doesn't get it. It's the notion that Matt Cassel was an acceptable QB and the notion that RAC was an acceptable HC. If you screw these up this bad, you don't get a free pass on some draft picks that didn't work out as well as you had hoped.

FAX 10-25-2012 10:52 PM

I hate to see the movement set back ... and of all things, due to a blatant misrepresentation of the facts. It's pretty smart, though. They will effectively mitigate SOC simply be re-defining it. Good politics.

FAX

Hammock Parties 10-25-2012 10:52 PM

2010 was a great draft. Berry, McCluster, Moeaki and Arenas are ****ing studs for sure.

Loved the 2011 draft with Baldwin and Bailey as 2 of the first 4 picks. Dominating game changers.

FAX 10-25-2012 10:53 PM

Ah well ... let's puff out our chests and make monkey sounds. Then, maybe things will look better in the morning.

ROFL

FAX

DaneMcCloud 10-25-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9050751)
2010 was a great draft. Berry, McCluster, Moeaki and Arenas are ****ing studs for sure.

Loved the 2011 draft with Baldwin and Bailey as 2 of the first 3 picks. Dominating game changers.

If you were to pull up the 2010 draft day thread, I was advocating Sean Lee, Daryl Washington and others in the second round.

Later that day, I was attempting to be optimistic about the draft class but any optimism (much like my optimism heading into 2012) was quickly dispelled due to the product on the field.

chiefzilla1501 10-25-2012 10:55 PM

I don't think Clark's a bad guy. Maybe not active as we'd like, but I don't think this story is necessarily surprising.

Here's what's funny. Clark Hunt is the boss. After the fans got ripped in public, Clark Hunt stood up for the fans. Pioli didn't say shit.

When Kent Babb did an expose` on Arrowhead Anxiety, Clark agreed to the interview. Pioli refused. And Pioli refused interviews afterward too.

It almost seems like Clark is distant enough to not even realize what Pioli is doing and who he's pissing off. What also bothers me is missed opportunities. This guy probably sounded off on Clark for being cheap. When he should have been sounding off on the expensive GM who isn't doing shit.

Chiefs Pantalones 10-25-2012 10:58 PM

I don't know whether to laugh or cry about the signs we're gonna be seeing at the game on Sunday LMAO

FAX 10-25-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9050761)
I don't think Clark's a bad guy. Maybe not active as we'd like, but I don't think this story is necessarily surprising.

Here's what's funny. Clark Hunt is the boss. After the fans got ripped in public, Clark Hunt stood up for the fans. Pioli didn't say shit.

When Kent Babb did an expose` on Arrowhead Anxiety, Clark agreed to the interview. Pioli refused. And Pioli refused interviews afterward too.

It almost seems like Clark is distant enough to not even realize what Pioli is doing and who he's pissing off. What also bothers me is missed opportunities. This guy probably sounded off on Clark for being cheap. When he should have been sounding off on the expensive GM who isn't doing shit.

The Yep Machine just pounded out 32 pre-fab Yeps.

What it sounds like is Mellinger (who used to be Babb-esque in his support of our cause) is echoing the story-line the Chiefs have fed him. That's bad enough, but their counter-attack is well-conceived and could be very effective at reducing our number and reinforcing the already-existing notion that we're "bad fans".

I'm going to go outside and fart real loud now.

FAX

Tribal Warfare 10-25-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9050769)
The Yep Machine just pounded out 32 pre-fab Yeps.

What it sounds like is Mellinger (who used to be Babb-esque in his support of our cause) is echoing the story-line the Chiefs have fed him. That's bad enough, but their counter-attack is well-conceived and could be very effective at reducing our number and reinforcing the already-existing notion that we're "bad fans".

I'm going to go outside and fart real loud now.

FAX

We hit them up with facts of their failure , and see how the franchise and the fan base reacts. If they just give you're not "true fans" then give them the evidence of not providing an entertaining product which is why we and many others are angry.

DaWolf 10-25-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9050704)
We've been angry since Vermeil left.

No, this franchise became a joke the day Gunther was hired as HC. It lost all credibility the day that Carl forced Vermeil to hire Gunther as his DC. It sunk in the toilet when we gave away DRAFT PICKS for HERM FREAKING EDWARDS.

The Vermeil era was a travesty. The decline started once Gunther took over but Vermeil just turned this into a soft, finesse team who couldn't stop anyone on defense, and this team has never stopped being soft, going from the spinner defense to the Dumbther defense to Cover 2 to this wussy 3-4 scheme we play now with all the worthless sub packages...

FAX 10-25-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9050788)
We hit them up with facts of their failure , and see how the franchise and the fan base reacts. If they just give you're not "true fans" then give them the evidence of not providing an entertaining product which is why we and many others are angry.

I understand that, Mr. Tribal Warfare. I've been disseminating ugly, damning, Pioli factoids on that tweeter place as if I were some kind of Tourette's-aflicted, town crier.

I just can't help noticing the change in Mellinger's tone and the contextual cynosure he's chosen. For example, instead of focusing on the fact that WE HAVEN'T HAD A SINGLE LEAD IN A SINGLE GAME ALL SEASON LONG, he's relating the Chiefs' rhetoric that SaveOurChiefs and the Banner Folk are nothing more than a few, isolated, loud-mouthed imbeciles who never saw a tittah they didn't hate.

If I were running this campaign, I would be formulating a counter-attack to deal with that misrepresentation that could be implemented by sun-up.

But, I've drop-kicked this poor nag enough for one thread, so I'll give it a rest.

FAX

RunKC 10-25-2012 11:42 PM

As much as we bag on Pioli I will give him credit for one thing. He's done a great job with the OL.

Asamoah has played well most of the time, Lilja had a good year in 2009 and looks like an above average C so far this year and Hudson is gonna be a stud. He just needs experience. Oh and Winston has been above average.

I loved the Hudson and Allen picks. Multi-year starters who were very proven guys coming out of college. I think the OL is set up for the future.

Tribal Warfare 10-25-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9050821)
If I were running this campaign, I would be formulating a counter-attack to deal with that misrepresentation that could be implemented by sun-up.

But, I've drop-kicked this poor nag enough for one thread, so I'll give it a rest.

FAX

I concur with the counter attack, we'll need a global voice and a viral campaign which would involve a YouTube channel and a Q & A with Mellinger.

mdchiefsfan 10-26-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9050750)
I hate to see the movement set back ... and of all things, due to a blatant misrepresentation of the facts. It's pretty smart, though. They will effectively mitigate SOC simply be re-defining it. Good politics.

FAX

Hopefully the majority wear black on the 18th, if they don't, we've proven their point.

007 10-26-2012 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9050922)
Hopefully the majority wear black on the 18th, if they don't, we've proven their point.

Yeah, I am really hoping that doesn't backfire. I'll be wearing my black chiefs jacket to that game.

AussieChiefsFan 10-26-2012 05:37 AM

Say it does backfire. What then?

Dave Lane 10-26-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 9050726)
Yes and no.

This is so off base as to be ludicrous.

007 10-26-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 9050944)
Say it does backfire. What then?

We've proven their point. heh

Mr. Flopnuts 10-26-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9050963)
This is so off base as to be ludicrous.

I agree. Had Herm and Carl gotten another year, then I would be more inclined to agree with him. As it was, they were ran out of town with pitchforks. I won't even bump the Carl is fired thread for proof. Everyone should remember.

Seriously, and be honest with yourself, if not out loud, looking back right now, do you wish they'd had just 1 more year to see what they could do with the team? Would we have drafted that 1st round QB? If they had 1 more year, do you think they would've been successful? What would be different about this team, and who would be running it if Clark had given them just one more year?

Those questions are for everyone, not just Dave. I'm just curious. I'm trying to get my finger on the pulse of Chiefs fans. ;)

AussieChiefsFan 10-26-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9050971)
I agree. Had Herm and Carl gotten another year, then I would be more inclined to agree with him. As it was, they were ran out of town with pitchforks. I won't even bump the Carl is fired thread for proof. Everyone should remember.

Seriously, and be honest with yourself, if not out loud, looking back right now, do you wish they'd had just 1 more year to see what they could do with the team? Would we have drafted that 1st round QB? If they had 1 more year, do you think they would've been successful? What would be different about this team, and who would be running it if Clark had given them just one more year?

Those questions are for everyone, not just Dave. I'm just curious. I'm trying to get my finger on the pulse of Chiefs fans. ;)

:hmmm:

Marcellus 10-26-2012 06:05 AM

- "They blame the 1-5 record, ignoring that losing only exposes issues that have been building for years."

Did he just forget the rest of the sentence? What do they blame the 1-5 start on?

King_Chief_Fan 10-26-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9050971)

NO, don't think they should have had 1 more year. Carl had 20 for his 5 year plan. That was plenty. Herm was a joke to begin with and he wasn't going to get any better. Do you see Herm coaching any where....Is Carl a GM any where?

DeezNutz 10-26-2012 06:10 AM

The Blackout event will be when the SOC movement shows its cards. If the turnout is a paltry one, then Hunt and company will effectively win the war; the churlish banner-fliers will be "proven" to be nothing more than a "few" angry fans...

However, if the stadium is truly blacked out...change be a coming because the SOC movement will be in full throat.

P.S.: **** Pioli.

King_Chief_Fan 10-26-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9050985)
The Blackout event will be when the SOC movement shows its cards. If the turnout is a paltry one, then Hunt and company will effectively win the war; the churlish banner-fliers will be "proven" to be nothing more than a "few" angry fans...

However, if the stadium is truly blacked out...change be a coming because the SOC movement will be in full throat.

P.S.: **** Pioli.

Deez- what is your guess that will happen? I am not close enough to the noise to have an opinion.

007 10-26-2012 06:12 AM

Of course, it is going to be hard to black out arrowhead will all those empty seats. LMAO

AussieChiefsFan 10-26-2012 06:13 AM

LMAO
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9050991)
Of course, it is going to be hard to black out arrowhead will all those empty seats. LMAO

DeezNutz 10-26-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 9050988)
Deez- what is your guess that will happen? I am not close enough to the noise to have an opinion.

For the Blackout to be a success, the media is going to have to champion it, too. 810, for example, is going to need to come into the fold. Perhaps The Star.

Just a guess: I don't believe the SOC sites are pervasive enough to carry the day. I might be very wrong about this, though.

DeezNutz 10-26-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9050991)

And, in all seriousness, this might be great for the cause. Trash bag those ****ing seats. Now, visually speaking, the movement grows in number, and SOC is trying to make a visual splash.

King_Chief_Fan 10-26-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9050996)
For the Blackout to be a success, the media is going to have to champion it, too. 810, for example, is going to need to come into the fold. Perhaps The Star.

Just a guess: I don't believe the SOC sites are pervasive enough to carry the day. I might be very wrong about this, though.

Again, not close enough to have a feel, but my gut tells me your guess is correct. They havn't demonstrated that 70k people are riled up. Just a few hundred. But I admire the attempt.

Mr. Flopnuts 10-26-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9050996)

I agree. We need this to become a focal point in the media for it to be a true success. I think if we get some preorder numbers from Sports Nutz, it will give us a good idea of where we're going to need to be in terms of rallying the troops if you will. I'm hoping they're already rallied, but I just don't know...

wazu 10-26-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9050667)
Go out and kiss babies in public, Clark. It's not going to change a ****ing thing.

GM, QB. That is what it is going to take to un**** this situation.

This. I'm not interested in PR campaigns.

Mr. Flopnuts 10-26-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 9050983)
NO, don't think they should have had 1 more year. Carl had 20 for his 5 year plan. That was plenty. Herm was a joke to begin with and he wasn't going to get any better. Do you see Herm coaching any where....Is Carl a GM any where?

I understand the sentiment, and agree it was Carl's time for departure. I will say this though. Hindsight being 50/50, that draft class was great. What would Dorsey have done in a 4-3? If we had drafted the right franchise QB, where would we be? It certainly wouldn't be any worse than this. Couldn't be. I dunno, doesn't really matter. What's done is done.

CoMoChief 10-26-2012 06:41 AM

Mark me down as still don't give a shit.

The Hunts are businessmen.....all they care about is $$$$

O.city 10-26-2012 06:54 AM

The city of Kansas City wants to go crazy over a sports team. If the front office would just get out of its own way and put a consistent winner on the field, this town would go nuts. KC is absolutely a sports fanatic town.

I believe if the chiefs were good, arrowhead would be as good as it once was.

Marcellus 10-26-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9051036)
Mark me down as still don't give a shit.

The Hunts are businessmen.....all they care about is $$$$

You do realize that the NFL is a business right? It is a huge, very lucrative business involving more $$ than the GNP of many countries.

So yea.

It is possible to be about the $ and still build a winner. I don't for a minute believe Clark likes the losing.

Some of you guys crack me up. I don't know what its like to have a billion $ but I know this, I am pretty sure that all these guys including Clark are competitive and don't like looking bad in front of their peers or to the media.

Do you like looking like a fool at your job?