ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Independence Day 2 announced (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274098)

Deberg_1990 06-25-2013 04:33 PM

Independence Day 2 announced

Set for July 3rd 2015. Will Smith will not be involved....seems like a colossal mistake to me.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...#ixzz2X02EQ7As

The next alien invasion will have to happen without Will Smith.
"Independence Day 2," which was recently set for a July 3, 2015 release date by 20th Century Fox, will not feature the original film's above the marquee star, director Roland Emmerich confirmed to the Daily News.

"Will Smith can not come back because he's too expensive, but he'd also be too much of a marquee name," said Emmerich, while promoting his latest film, "White House Down." "It would be too much.
"We have like maybe half of the people that you know would know from the first film (in the script) and the other half people who are new," the German director added.

The filmmakers are hoping the sequel to 1996's "Independence Day" - which grossed a whopping $817.4 million during an era of cheaper ticket prices and helped launch Smith's career as an A-lister in Hollywood -- will be the first of a two part story, tentatively titled "ID Forever, Part I" and "Part II."

Screenwriter James Vanderbilt ("The Amazing Spider-Man," "Zodiac") is in the midst of polishing the original script by Emmerich and producer Dean Devlin. "We're not doing a total reboot, we're doing something that's totally unusual said Emmerich.
The director wouldn't divulge what would be totally unusual in the plot of the new movie; there was one nugget, however, he didn't mind divulging.
"I think some aliens will be back," he said laughing.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...#ixzz2XGnVpZfK

Hammock Parties 06-25-2013 04:40 PM

He better ****ing be in it.

Don't care how.

The aliens beamed him out of his ship at the last second.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...BoysImBack.jpg

Hammock Parties 06-25-2013 04:41 PM

Jeff Goldblum better be in it too.

Sure-Oz 06-25-2013 05:15 PM

No Will Smith? wtf are they doing this

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9775062)
No Will Smith? wtf are they doing this

I actually like the concept. I'm sure that several years will have passed, so they'll have a new POTUS, new military commanders, etc.

Having Will Smith in the sequel would mean that he "saves the day", once again, which would be boring.

That said, I have little faith that Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich are capable of making a good, compelling film.

Sure-Oz 06-25-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9775070)
I actually like the concept. I'm sure that several years will have passed, so they'll have a new POTUS, new military commanders, etc.

Having Will Smith in the sequel would mean that he "saves the day", once again, which would be boring.

That said, I have little faith that Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich are capable of making a good, compelling film.

Sure hope they do something right about this...

I actually watched the original last weekend, i remember how funny it seemed at the time that the fresh prince was in it

CoMoChief 06-25-2013 05:40 PM

LOL mark this down as "going to be ****ing stupid without Will Smith".

Deberg_1990 06-25-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9775070)

This. These guys are what they are. They make corny, big budget, mass appeal disaster movies.

Frazod 06-25-2013 05:44 PM

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit this, but I find myself looking forward to White House Down. The previews look mindless but fun. If it gets decent reviews I'll probably go see it.

I may need shock therapy.

Deberg_1990 06-25-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9775118)
I'm somewhat ashamed to admit this, but I find myself looking forward to White House Down. The previews look mindless but fun. If it gets decent reviews I'll probably go see it.

It does look like mindless fun, but so corny...

"Get....your...hands...off.....my....Jordan's!"

BigBeauford 06-25-2013 06:08 PM

God, Emmerich is just one step about M.Night in my books. Which merely means he is terrible.

Hammock Parties 06-25-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 9775146)
God, Emmerich is just one step about M.Night in my books. Which merely means he is terrible.

As far as I'm concerned he gets a lifetime free pass to the hall of awesome simply for:

Universal Soldier
ID4
Stargate
The Patriot

All of those movies are ****ing awesome, and if you disagree, you suck and hate fun.

The Day After Tomorrow and 10,000 BC weren't horrible either. Stupid, but watchable popcorn fun.

DanBecky 06-25-2013 06:22 PM

If not Will Smith, then definitely Jeff Goldblum. I actually really liked the first one, but Will Smith was a big part of that. I'll see it out of curiosity.

big nasty kcnut 06-25-2013 06:38 PM

Just hope adam baldwin is in it.

Deberg_1990 06-25-2013 06:55 PM

Maybe they can get Jaden Smith instead

notorious 06-25-2013 07:37 PM

"Too Expensive" my ass. This movie will make hundreds of millions if they don't **** it up.

notorious 06-25-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9775243)
Maybe they can get Jaden Smith instead

LMAO

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9775359)
"Too Expensive" my ass. This movie will make hundreds of millions if they don't **** it up.

This is the big issue: How do you reconcile paying Will Smith $30 million plus backend while guaranteeing it'll earn at the box office?

If it flops, then everyone but Smith is out a ton of money.

tk13 06-25-2013 07:43 PM

By the time this comes out, there will be college students who probably have never seen the first one because it came out when they were 3-4 years old.

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9775384)
By the time this comes out, there will be college students who probably have never seen the first one because it came out when they were 3-4 years old.

It airs frequently on FX and premium cable channels

tk13 06-25-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9775385)
It airs frequently on FX and premium cable channels

I know, it was on the other night. I was being partly sarcastic... but it's always a bit funny when sequels come along 20 years down the line. There will probably be kids out there who have little knowledge of the first film.

Gravedigger 06-25-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9775374)
This is the big issue: How do you reconcile paying Will Smith $30 million plus backend while guaranteeing it'll earn at the box office?

If it flops, then everyone but Smith is out a ton of money.

IE After Earth

GordonGekko 06-25-2013 08:14 PM

I like it.

ID4 was badass back in the day, a classic Will Smith movie.

Unfortunately, Emmerich has fallen down the reerun ladder with his last few movies, although they all gross a shit ton.

kysirsoze 06-25-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9775118)

I'm looking forward to it, but in an awesomely bad sort of way. I would almost rather the reviews be terrible.

Deberg_1990 06-25-2013 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL

Frazod 06-25-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9775561)
I'm looking forward to it, but in an awesomely bad sort of way. I would almost rather the reviews be terrible.

The closest thing to Emmerich is Bay, and I vastly prefer Emmerich's movies (can't even remember the last Bay movie I saw). Emmerich's movies are mindlessly silly, but he (usually) assembles a good cast with likeable heroes and follows a cookie cutter rah-rah storyline to a predictable, heroic ending, wrapped in over the top CGI effects. That's what you're going to get, and you know it going in. If you walk out of an Emmerich movie disappointed, you really have no one to blame but yourself for going in the first place.

It's not like he's pretending to peddle high art and delivering stinking shit like that hack Shyamalan.

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9775599)
The closest thing to Emmerich is Bay, and I vastly prefer Emmerich's movies (can't even remember the last Bay movie I saw). Emmerich's movies are mindlessly silly, but he (usually) assembles a good cast with likeable heroes and follows a cookie cutter rah-rah storyline to a predictable, heroic ending, wrapped in over the top CGI effects. That's what you're going to get, and you know it going in. If you walk out of an Emmerich movie disappointed, you really have no one to blame but yourself for going in the first place.

It's not like he's pretending to peddle high art and delivering stinking shit like that hack Shyamalan.

I watched "The Rock" the other night and forgot just how much I loved that movie. Great actors, great score and a fairly normal Nic Cage.

The thing that bothers me most about Emmerich is that he's been too preachy lately with "Day After Tomorrow" and "2012".

10,000 BC was the dumbest movie ever.

Frazod 06-25-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9775603)
I watched "The Rock" the other night and forgot just how much I loved that movie. Great actors, great score and a fairly normal Nic Cage.

The thing that bothers me most about Emmerich is that he's been too preachy lately with "Day After Tomorrow" and "2012".

Never saw 10,000 BC. The trailers didn't even look appealing for that one.

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9775621)
Never saw 10,000 BC. The trailers didn't even look appealing for that one.

Neanderthals built the pyramids in Egypt.

Yes, that dumb.

Frazod 06-25-2013 08:43 PM

Here's a question for you, Dane. How the **** is M. Night Shyamalan still able to make movies? I mean, he's like a modern day Ed Wood at this point.

Deberg_1990 06-25-2013 08:44 PM

Bay actually got some decent reviews with that Pain and Gain Rock/Whalberg flick. The funny thing is, I think Bay is pretty talented, he just chooses to film crap.

DanBecky 06-25-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9775603)

The Rock is one of me favorites. Idk why but I could watch that movie over and over. I really liked Cage in that movie. Suited him well

Hammock Parties 06-25-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9775625)
Neanderthals built the pyramids in Egypt.

Yes, that dumb.

It was awesome.

ESPECIALLY the Wooly Mammoths hauling the stone.

Frazod 06-25-2013 08:49 PM

That is one of Cage's better films, okay but not great. But I'm not a big Cage fan. At all. The only movie he's in that I really, really like is Lord of War. The first National Treasure was reeruned but fun, Windtalkers was pretty good, beyond that.... meh.

BigBeauford 06-25-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9775656)
That is one of Cage's better films, okay but not great. But I'm not a big Cage fan. At all. The only movie he's in that I really, really like is Lord of War. The first National Treasure was reeruned but fun, Windtalkers was pretty good, beyond that.... meh.

I enjoyed Bad Lieutenant a lot.

DanBecky 06-25-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Face Off?!?!

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

I agree, although I've never seen Windtalkers.

My comment was directed towards Michael Bay. IMO, The Rock was a really great movie that was well directed and well cast.

I'd like to see him get back to his roots but it's more likely that he'll stay in the CGI world because at least in terms of box office revenues, he's the king.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-25-2013 10:40 PM

Not sure how this turned into a Cage thread, but if he's in it, I'm watching it. Period.

Bad Lieutentant wa...

Hey, could someone do something about these ****ing iguanas?

Anyway, Bad Lieutenant was great. I'd bet dollars to donuts Clay has fapped to the parking lot scene.

DanBecky 06-25-2013 11:14 PM

Forgot ConAir. Sorry bout keeping it to Nick Cage.

DaneMcCloud 06-25-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9776019)
Not sure how this turned into a Cage thread, but if he's in it, I'm watching it. Period.

Bad Lieutentant wa...

Anyway, Bad Lieutenant was great. I'd bet dollars to donuts Clay has fapped to the parking lot scene.

I really enjoy him when he's actually acting, doing his thing in quirky roles.

But since about 1998, I've found him unwatchable as an "Action Hero", save the original National Treasure.

Hammock Parties 06-25-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9776019)

Bad Lieutentant wa...

I haven't scene it.

kysirsoze 06-26-2013 10:51 AM

I think Adaptation is the best thing Nic Cage has done, but Bad Lieutenant is pretty ****ing great.

Frosty 06-26-2013 10:54 AM

Independence Day 2: The Return - This Time With a Firewall

Bowser 06-26-2013 01:52 PM

Is it asking too much that the new movie doesn't include the PEWPEWPEW sound when the alien ships are opening fire?

DaneMcCloud 06-26-2013 08:48 PM

If they were smart, it would a completely different alien species that attacks the Earth.

Deberg_1990 06-26-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9777258)
Is it asking too much that the new movie doesn't include the PEWPEWPEW sound when the alien ships are opening fire?

Heh.....I thought it sounded cool. I Think ID4 was one of the last big flicks to use models for effects instead of CGI. I think the effects still look cool as hell.

Discuss Thrower 06-27-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9778378)
If they were smart, it would a completely different alien species that attacks the Earth.

One that approaches with a carrot before breaking a stick over their heads or would that be too much like V?

CrazyPhuD 10-16-2013 11:19 PM

Woooo trailer for the original(sort of) in anticipation of the sequel.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7YtvsxB9xQY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

unlurking 10-17-2013 06:38 AM

President Lonestar!

big nasty kcnut 10-17-2013 07:08 PM

I still say have the aliens still alive but had to hide and the humans reverse engineer the alien tech. The aliens come back and start a land war with the human and the humans wear armored tech to fight the aliens while another group use old school weapons to defeat the aliens.

Hammock Parties 06-22-2015 08:21 PM

http://collider.com/independence-day...collidersocial

Quote:

The events of the movie are called the “War of 1996”, and director Roland Emmerich that part of this movie will be about a post-war generation.

The livestream event took place on a set that’s a moon base. We got a glimpse of a Human Hybrid Fighter Jet and a moon tug. This technology came from the aliens. “We can’t build alien technology,” says Emmerich, “but we can harvest it.”

Emmerich originally didn’t want to return for a sequel, but after working on 2012, he was lured back by the prospect of what they could do with the technology.

The movie takes place in 2016, and David Levinson (Jeff Goldblum) is now the director of Earth Space Defense, which is in charge of protecting the Earth (the name is not misleading). Additionally, this group works across border as countries have united against a common threat.

Dr. Okun (Brent Spiner) is alive and just as manic and excitable as he was before. He also has a new wig that’s even longer.

Sela Ward plays President Lanford. She’s more aggressive than President Whitmore (Bill Pullman, who didn’t specify how his character factors into the sequel). She’s more willing to use force, and Earth has been preparing for an invasion for 20 years. “There’s a very different climate in terms of the tenor of the movie.”

Patricia Whitmore (Maika Monroe) is now a special agent of some kind (Monroe said she was kind of like a Secret Service agent), but wouldn’t reveal any more details. In addition to working for Lanford, she also has to deal with having a famous father and growing up in the public eye.

Jesse Usher plays Dylan Hiller, the son of Will Smith’s character, Steven Hiller. Usher says his performance was partially influenced by Smith’s, and that Dylan, like Patricia, has also grown up in the shadow of a father who helped saved the world.

Angelbaby plays Rain, an orphan who grew up to become a fighter pilot.

Liam Hemsworth’s character, Jake Morrison, is also an orphan who grew up to become a fighter pilot. However, Jake made some kind of mistake, and now he’s been exiled to work on the moon base and operate a Moon Tug, which is basically a forklift.

Jasmine, “is no longer working the pole,” says Vivica A. Fox. “She’s no longer a stripper with a heart of gold.” Jasmine now works as a hospital
administrator, and continues to support her son and his choices.

Judd Hirsch (Julius Levinson) wanted the father-son relationship to be strong no matter where he and David were. His arc in the movie is to get to David.

mdchiefsfan 06-22-2015 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 9774976)
He better ****ing be in it.

Don't care how.

The aliens beamed him out of his ship at the last second... Sexually.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...BoysImBack.jpg

FYP

mdchiefsfan 06-22-2015 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11561781)

How in the hell did Dr. Okun survive?

Hammock Parties 06-22-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 11561792)
How in the hell did Dr. Okun survive?

WHO CARES

mdchiefsfan 06-22-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11561802)
WHO CARES

It gives your hopes a shot, I suppose

Deberg_1990 06-22-2015 08:36 PM

I imagine Apple will play an even BIGGER role in this pic?

thabear04 06-22-2015 08:48 PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1628841/

Hammock Parties 06-22-2015 09:16 PM

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8d&oe=5623714E

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...56&oe=55E911D4

Hammock Parties 06-22-2015 09:20 PM

David Arnold is scoring the sequel, too. :)

His score for the original is one of my favorite soundtracks. :D

wazu 06-22-2015 11:41 PM

No Will Smith or Bill Pulman? This should rank right up there with Speed 2.

Hammock Parties 06-22-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 11562173)

BP is in it.

DaneMcCloud 06-23-2015 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 11562173)

Pullman is in it. He's a nearby neighbor and is stoked about.

I'm actually glad that Will Smith passed, which led to massive rewrites, because he's been a dud lately.

ThaVirus 06-23-2015 12:08 AM

Focus was a good ass movie.

After Earth was some bullshit but I blame nepotism for that one.

tk13 06-23-2015 12:08 AM

Bill Pullman's right there in the photo. Bearded guy in the upper left.

DaneMcCloud 06-23-2015 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 11562190)
Focus was a good ass movie.

After Earth was some bullshit but I blame nepotism for that one.

I'm a fan but blame lies with Will Smith.

And FWIW, no one wants to work with him, which is why he had to take a role with a talented ensemble cast. And his "wife" was booted from Gotham, too.

Hammock Parties 06-23-2015 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11562194)
And his "wife" was booted from Gotham, too.

Fake marriage simply for appearances, or something?

007 06-23-2015 12:45 AM

Quote:

And FWIW, no one wants to work with him, which is why he had to take a role with a talented ensemble cast. And his "wife" was booted from Gotham, too.

Her character on Gotham is a complete waste of time. Don't understand why she was included at all.

ThaVirus 06-23-2015 08:42 AM

Quote:

I've never heard anything of the sort. Why don't people want to work with him?

Bowser 06-23-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 11562307)
I've never heard anything of the sort. Why don't people want to work with him?

I haven't heard that either, but if I were to throw out a guess, I'd say he has an ego that is out of control.

beach tribe 06-23-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanBecky (Post 9775982)
Face Off?!?!

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps6jdgjdwx.gif

Hammock Parties 06-24-2015 12:02 AM

So since Bill Pullman isn't the President anymore...maybe he can be the Randy Quaid type in this one. In fact his beard is making me lean that direction.

I'm picturing him as a down-and-out former Politician who drank his way out of public favor, multiple messy divorces and sex scandals draining his bank accounts. His daughter hates him and he's reduced to working on airplanes, or flying cargo planes or something shitty to support himself. He's a disgrace to the nation.

The aliens come back though, and the world is torn apart. The current President needs a symbol to unite everyone under a common banner. She seeks out the former Alien-crushing badass (nuke 'em) from 20 years ago to rally the troops.

At first, he is reluctant.

"I'M JUST A WASHED UP POLITICIAN WHO DRANK MY BEST YEARS AWAY."

The current President slaps him.

"If you won't do it for you country...do it for...your daughter."

And in a tear-jerker of an ending, he will earn his daughter's love back, rouse America with another Patriotic megaphone speech ere the sun rises, and save the nation with a heroic sacrifice.

"Tell the actress they recast as my daughter...I love her very much."

*BOOM*

"Happy 4th of July daddy...I love you."

:deevee:

kcfanXIII 06-24-2015 10:23 AM

Is this thing still coming out next week? I haven't seen any previews.

Hammock Parties 06-24-2015 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 11564070)
Is this thing still coming out next week? I haven't seen any previews.

kcfanXIII 06-24-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11564072)

Oh, ok. The OP said this year, but I guess that is from 2013.

DJJasonp 06-25-2015 09:24 AM

Quote:

Heh....I've heard that as well!

RobBlake 06-25-2015 01:09 PM

Quote:

Will Smith pisses me off. Extremely talented.. like him a lot as an actor.. but he's made some bad choices.. django for starters... being paired way to much with his talentless son

Focus was good... Suicide Squad might put him back on the table.

Also, heard he's making bad boys 3... which i love that franchise

Scientology kills kids.

Al Bundy 06-27-2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanBecky (Post 9775982)
Face Off?!?!

**** that shit ass movie.

unlurking 05-24-2016 06:31 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FrS7PThzR8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-King- 05-24-2016 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 11566115)
Will Smith pisses me off. Extremely talented.. like him a lot as an actor.. but he's made some bad choices.. django for starters... being paired way to much with his talentless son

Focus was good... Suicide Squad might put him back on the table.

Also, heard he's making bad boys 3... which i love that franchise

Scientology kills kids.

He made a bad choice by not wanting to be in Django? If he doesn't want to be in a movie, why should he? He's still one of the top 3 box office draws and has one of the best resumes in hollywood. And he's been in two movies with his son. One was very good and the other very bad. It is what it is.

ThaVirus 05-24-2016 06:52 AM

He also turned down the role of Neo in the Matrix if that bothers you some more.