ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs The unsportsmanlike call on McClain catch (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=251958)

Deberg_1990 11-01-2011 06:45 AM

The unsportsmanlike call on McClain catch

First of all, great catch by McClain. Unbelievable he was able to hang on to that.

But just how exactly is a defender supposed to defend that? Stop, hold up and wait until the guy catches it and makes a football move before he comes in to to make the tackle?? Is this seriously what the NFL wants? On the replay it didnt even look like the defender led with his helmet. It looked like he led with his shoulder. Perhaps Claythan can gif this up if he hasnt already?

jd1020 11-01-2011 06:47 AM

I guess they thought he led with his helmet. No part of his helmet hit him. He took his shoulder and drove it right through his midsection.

It was a terrible call.

Direckshun 11-01-2011 06:47 AM

Was an absolutely great catch by McClain. I love this guy -- thrives on contact. I think the hit pumped him up more than anything.

Bwana 11-01-2011 06:48 AM

There were numerous bad calls on both teams, that was one of them, shit happens.

Dartgod 11-01-2011 06:49 AM

Horrible call. As was the OPI on Gates. Evens out the hose jobs we received, I guess.

Bugeater 11-01-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 8070115)
Horrible call. As was the OPI on Gates. Evens out the hose jobs we received, I guess.

No, it didn't. We were poised to blow the game wide open when the McCluster screw job happened.

Deberg_1990 11-01-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 8070117)
No, it didn't. We were poised to blow the game wide open when the McCluster screw job happened.

I would like to hear an explanation from one of the refs as to what they saw that they could not overturn the call.

Direckshun 11-01-2011 06:53 AM

There were bad calls both ways.

It's an obstacle on the field you must overcome. Nature of the game.

Bugeater 11-01-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8070125)
There were bad calls both ways.

It's an obstacle on the field you must overcome. Nature of the game.

**** that bullshit. Yeah there's going to be some iffy ones but those two "fumbles" were blatantly bad, momentum-killing game changers. You shouldn't have to overcome that.

Gadzooks 11-01-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8070113)
There were numerous bad calls on both teams, that was one of them, shit happens.

I beleive the point is, if a Chief were in the same position to make that play they would be called for an unsportsmanlike penalty.
The NFL is making it impossible to play defense.:shake:

ARROW2 11-01-2011 06:58 AM

I can't believe nobody could see the helmet make contact with the facemask, intended or not. I ran it back several times in a room full of haters and they denied it. Run it back if you recorded it and you will see helmet to facemask contact......

Gonzo 11-01-2011 07:02 AM

****ing Gruden last night... He's the next Chargers coach, Write it down...

Did you notice how he was nearly blowing Rivers all night?
Also, in reference to the instant replays...

Gruden bitched about the IR system several times when it was going to benefit the Chiefs, not a damn word when it was going to go the other way. (Well, except the obvious Mccluster-**** up fumble).
I really hate that guy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Direckshun 11-01-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 8070129)
**** that bullshit. Yeah there's going to be some iffy ones but those two "fumbles" were blatantly bad, momentum-killing game changers. You shouldn't have to overcome that.

You shouldn't have to, but you have to.

Lzen 11-01-2011 07:06 AM

Quote:

Horrible call. As was the OPI on Gates. Somewhat evens out the hose jobs we received, I guess.

FYP.

Deberg_1990 11-01-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 8070135)
IThe NFL is making it impossible to play defense.:shake:

This was mainly the point of my thread...not that the call was bad or good, but that the NFL is making good, tough defense disappear....

jd1020 11-01-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8070141)
****ing Gruden last night... He's the next Chargers coach, Write it down...

Did you notice how he was nearly blowing Rivers all night?
Also, in reference to the instant replays...

Gruden bitched about the IR system several times when it was going to benefit the Chiefs, not a damn word when it was going to go the other way. (Well, except the obvious Mccluster-**** up fumble).
I really hate that guy.
Posted via Mobile Device

I hope not. Gruden is a competent coach.

Backwards Masking 11-01-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

I couldn't agree more.

Officiating was as bad as it got last night. Overturning sh*t that shouldn't have been (Cassel's forward pass), letting stuff stand that should have beenn overturned (McCluster hitting the ground for 2 seconds before the ball popped out), continued pussification of the league (McClain roughing the defenseless receiver - kudos to Gruden going off on that). And there are still a few I haven't pointed out. So Godawful a performance that a group of Pee Wee Football Refs could have done better without trying.

They went both ways, I think we got screwed more than they did, and ours were way worse (the refs gave them 2 turnovers AND a 2 point conversion...) but then again I'm obviously biased.

You know it's bad when instant replay makes it crystal clear and the refs still blow it...over and over...

Backwards Masking 11-01-2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8070156)
This was mainly the point of my thread...not that the call was bad or good, but that the NFL is making good, tough defense disappear....

Yes it is. The sad part is they couldn't be prouder and they're using "safety" as their reasoning when it's really all abot money $$$.

jd1020 11-01-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 8070166)
They went both ways, I think we got screwed more than they did, and ours were way worse (the refs gave them 2 turnovers AND a 2 point conversion...) but then again I'm obviously biased.

No. That would be the Chiefs who gave them a 2 point conversion.

The ball clearly broke the plane. Take the Chiefs goggles off.

trndobrd 11-01-2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 8070136)
I can't believe nobody could see the helmet make contact with the facemask, intended or not. I ran it back several times in a room full of haters and they denied it. Run it back if you recorded it and you will see helmet to facemask contact......

This. Crown of the helmet in McClain's facemask.

Backwards Masking 11-01-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8070175)
No. That would be the Chiefs who gave them a 2 point conversion.

The ball clearly broke the plane. Take the Chiefs goggles off.

It broke the plane on the TD, I never saw it break the plane on the 2 pointer, the only angle where it appeared to was from the back side at 45 degress. Thanks for the link proving your point...NOT.

jd1020 11-01-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 8070179)
It broke the plane on the TD, I never saw it break the plane on the 2 pointer, the only angle where it appeared to was from the back side at 45 degress. Thanks for the link proving your point...NOT.

I shouldn't need a link to prove my point. It was proven last night on replays. Ball in hand, over white line, 2-pt conversion. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Backwards Masking 11-01-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8070182)
I shouldn't need a link to prove my point. It was proven last night on replays. Ball in hand, over white line, 2-pt conversion. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

A picture is worth a thousand words, Grasshopper. Your driveling at the mouth doth not sway me.

Gonzo 11-01-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8070182)

Yep. I wonder if dude knows that the football just needs to break the goal-line, not go completely over it. It was clearly a good conversion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gonzo 11-01-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 8070189)
A picture is worth a thousand words, Grasshopper. Your driveling at the mouth doth not sway me.

Dude, it was clearly good. They showed it at 3 different angles and did the IR to confirm.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dartgod 11-01-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Possibly. It certainly cost us at least 3 points.

The Gates call cost them 4 points.

I'm not saying that all the calls evened out. But there were enough bad ones on both sides that I'm not too upset about them.

Backwards Masking 11-01-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8070193)
Yep. I wonder if dude knows that the football just needs to break the goal-line, not go completely over it. It was clearly a good conversion.
Posted via Mobile Device

It was clearly close, at least you admit it did not completely go over it, it barely broke the goal line if it did at all. Great link to prove your point as well.

Backwards Masking 11-01-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8070195)
They showed it at 3 different angles and did the IR to confirm.
Posted via Mobile Device

You mean like Dexter's "fumble"? Or more like Cassel's "fumble".

Clearly though since the NFL Officials reviewed it it must have been right....cause they're never wrong...

jd1020 11-01-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 8070189)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...module=HP11_cp

Skip to 3:35, dipshit.

penguinz 11-01-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 8070197)
It was clearly close, at least you admit it did not completely go over it, it barely broke the goal line if it did at all. Great link to prove your point as well.

https://img.skitch.com/20111101-dpxp...m2ypc178d3.png

jsmax 11-01-2011 08:12 AM

I thought the un-sportsmanlike conduct was called on the player that knocked McClain to the ground after the play was over when he was getting up. Would like to find a replay that shows the flag being thrown and when.......

Gonzo 11-01-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8070204)

That's not the link he wanted!he wanted the one that shows the 2pt conversion was no good. You know, the one that doesn't exist.
Posted via Mobile Device

ThaVirus 11-01-2011 08:25 AM

This one was very close, good call. If the Chiefs had been trying to convert the 2, everyone here would suddenly realize the truth.

Chiefnj2 11-01-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmax (Post 8070278)
I thought the un-sportsmanlike conduct was called on the player that knocked McClain to the ground after the play was over when he was getting up. Would like to find a replay that shows the flag being thrown and when.......

It was hitting a defenseless receiver.

beer bacon 11-01-2011 08:27 AM

I initially was upset they called PF, but there was helmet to helmet contact.

Valiant 11-01-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

I disagree, we had great coverage on him, no hand fighting until after gates pushes off to make the catch.

I agree that it was a bad call on the mcclain catch. The booth said you have to let a wr defend himself on why that is a penalty. That rule/call is why the nfl is going down the toilet imo.

Hootie 11-01-2011 08:32 AM

people must not watch much football, especially MNF...

Gruden "blows" everyone. On every team. He's never critical. I don't understand why Chiefs fans get so butthurt when someone "glows" about Philip Rivers.

THEY WERE GLOWING ABOUT DERRICK JOHNSON, BRANDON FLOWERS AND TAMBA HALI, TOO.

The announcers aren't Chiefs fans. They aren't going to be like "lol Phyllis Rivers with another wobbling crybaby throw!"

I know that's what some of you expect but my god...it's the same people who cry about every Tamba hold...newsflash! He doesn't get held every play...they called it pretty fairly in terms of Tamba last night.

Swanman 11-01-2011 08:45 AM

He was blowing Cassel all night too, so I felt his QB fellatio was somewhat even.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat Dragon (Post 8070326)

Gruden "blows" everyone. On every team. He's never critical. I don't understand why Chiefs fans get so butthurt when someone "glows" about Philip Rivers.

The announcers aren't Chiefs fans. They aren't going to be like "lol Phyllis Rivers with another wobbling crybaby throw!"

I know that's what some of you expect but my god...it's the same people who cry about every Tamba hold...newsflash! He doesn't get held every play...they called it pretty fairly in terms of Tamba last night.

Brock 11-01-2011 08:50 AM

It was a poorly officiated game all night long. Gates should have had a TD, McCluster didn't fumble, Battle got facemasked badly nocall, etc.

Dartgod 11-01-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8070367)
It was a poorly officiated game all night long. Gates should have had a TD, McCluster didn't fumble, Battle got facemasked badly nocall, etc.

I forgot about the missed face mask. That was on 3rd down on our last possession before the Chargers drive for the apparent game winning field goal, wasn't it?

Brock 11-01-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 8070398)
I forgot about the missed face mask. That was on 3rd down on our last possession before the Chargers drive for the apparent game winning field goal, wasn't it?

Yep. A very crucial noncall.

kevonm 11-01-2011 09:17 AM

More stuffs

If we had won a challenge, then we could have challenged the play before the TD on the 8 point drive, where the ball contacted the ground on the reception and moved. I think it was incomplete, but no challenges left.

As for the 2 pt conversion, I felt like he did not make the continuation of the catch. the ball was bobbled after he was hit, and since it was a catch and not a run, he needs to establish possession of the ball in the endzone. I don't think think he did this.

Not to mention the call which should have been delay of game, where they knocked our center over trying to get on-sides.

Huffmeister 11-01-2011 09:26 AM

It seemed like even the head ref was getting tired of the bad officiating. At one point late in the game, he was called over to sideline for a brief ref meeting. After a few seconds, he ran back on the field and basically said "**** it, let's just play football."

RealSNR 11-01-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat Dragon (Post 8070326)

Philip Rivers obviously wasn't having the game of his career, and Gruden couldn't stop repeating that dumbass story, "I talked to Rivers after the Jets loss, and he said he was FURIOUS, and that somebody was going to pay for that loss. And I think that somebody might be the Kansas City Chiefs!"

Yeah, he talked up Chiefs players too, but that still doesn't excuse his exceptional dumbassery.

kevonm 11-01-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8070476)
It seemed like even the head ref was getting tired of the bad officiating. At one point late in the game, he was called over to sideline for a brief ref meeting. After a few seconds, he ran back on the field and basically said "**** it, let's just play football."

That play was right at the 2 min warning, he got buzzed to review the call I was speaking to above, the completion that put them within the 5, that the ball looked liked it hit the ground. It was before the warning so there could not be an official review.

THat is my guess

Rasputin 11-01-2011 09:34 AM

Well, next year Goodel is renaming it to the NFFL. National Flag Football League. Goodel is mucking it all up for the players & fans.

Didn't hurt my feelings chargers got a flag, but that was a sollid tackle & shouldn't have been called penalty. We had bad calls go our way too, have to over come them and build character to become the better team that wins. & we did that.

LOCOChief 11-01-2011 09:40 AM

Gruden is the best MNF guy I've seen in a long time imo. It takes a real tool to call a former SB coach's commentary on the game "exceptional dumbassery"

kevonm 11-01-2011 09:42 AM

For that personal foul on the catch by McClain, it is the right call the way the rule is written, he was defenseless. THe rule is terrible

Huffmeister 11-01-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevonm (Post 8070523)
For that personal foul on the catch by McClain, it is the right call the way the rule is written, he was defenseless. THe rule is terrible

Agreed. Accurate call, but stupid rule. I just don't see how a defender can follow the rule. Are they supposed to just stand there, wait for the receiver to catch the ball, make a football move, and THEN go after them?

Gonzo 11-01-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOCOChief (Post 8070518)
Gruden is the best MNF guy I've seen in a long time imo. It takes a real tool to call a former SB coach's commentary on the game "exceptional dumbassery"

Well, they DID say exceptional.

You ever wonder why he hasn't landed another gig? I mean, even a college gig?

There's got to ba a reason if he's so good. Maybe he just likes working once a week...
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock 11-01-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Yeah, bullshit. His commentary is awful, it always has been.

Ming the Merciless 11-01-2011 10:30 AM

Bad call.....but way less of an impact than the many other bad calls of the night. It was just another shit-covered feather on the doodie hat of the ref-crew that evening.

Deberg_1990 11-01-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8070571)
Well, they DID say exceptional.

You ever wonder why he hasn't landed another gig? I mean, even a college gig?

There's got to ba a reason if he's so good. Maybe he just likes working once a week...
Posted via Mobile Device

The reason is he makes alot of $$$$ for alot less stress. Gruden could coach if he wanted to. Lots of teams have "kicked the tires" on him.

frankotank 11-01-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8070476)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevonm (Post 8070487)
That play was right at the 2 min warning, he got buzzed to review the call I was speaking to above, the completion that put them within the 5, that the ball looked liked it hit the ground. It was before the warning so there could not be an official review.

THat is my guess

maybe because of my surround sound or maybe because I had it blasting...or both...but I heard him say something to the sideline, then he repeated himself much more loudly and you could clearly hear him say "WHY AM I BEING PAGED!" some dude mumbled something and shook his head and thre ref ran back onto the field. he was obviously pissed.

frankotank 11-01-2011 11:37 AM

I work with a guy who's neighbor is a big 12 official. I always assumed this, but he says that on replays they can't see every angle like we can at home, they can only see a few. I can't imagine any angle that didn't clearly show McClusters ass on the ground for that stupid fumble call. Also loved Gruden's comment on Cassels fumble..."How can the ball be going forward unless it was thrown forward?" Good point Chucky.

kevonm 11-01-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8070850)
maybe because of my surround sound or maybe because I had it blasting...or both...but I heard him say something to the sideline, then he repeated himself much more loudly and you could clearly hear him say "WHY AM I BEING PAGED!" some dude mumbled something and shook his head and thre ref ran back onto the field. he was obviously pissed.

Didnt he also say something about there not being a review, and to play football

LiveSteam 11-01-2011 11:55 AM

Last nights game was the worst officiated NFL game that I can remember. It was an abortion from start to finish. Missed holding calls,missed facemask on 3rd down,missed block in the back on punt return,fumbles that should have been overturned. & thats just what went against KC. The hit on the KC receiver looked clean.WTF was the Boltz DB supposed to do? stop & wait for the ref to give his permission to hit the KC receiver & try & jar the ball out of his hands. The league is watered down with way to many pussy rules

Change it from the NFL to NPL National Pussy League

RealSNR 11-01-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Agree 100%.

The proper term is "special"

mdchiefsfan 11-01-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8070431)
Yep. A very crucial noncall.

How about SD knocking over one of our linemen when we were trying to get a field goal to end the game.

FAX 11-01-2011 12:33 PM

It's easy for fans to complain about hits like that. They like to see guys jacked up. Most of them, however, are not eating their blended bacon and eggs through a straw.

The NFL has to do what it can to try and get this concussion problem under control.

FAX

FringeNC 11-01-2011 01:07 PM

Had we lost that game, I would have been very bitter about the non-call on the face mask on Battle on 3rd and 1. How do you miss that?

ToxSocks 11-01-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 8071146)
Had we lost that game, I would have been very bitter about the non-call on the face mask on Battle on 3rd and 1. How do you miss that?

That too.

Overall it was just a poorly officiated game.

whoman69 11-01-2011 01:13 PM

Horrible refereeing job last night. I don't know how you can blow a call when its being reviewed, but they did it twice.