ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV New Shows? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258795)

Micjones 04-24-2012 09:37 AM

New Shows?

There are only two TV series that I follow.

House MD has 4 episodes remaining.
SVU's on its last legs and will likely be cancelled after this season.

I'm gonna be out in the cold.

So, I'm hoping for a few suggestions for 1-3 dramatic series, on Network Television, that I can follow going forward.

I prefer shows that are both cerebral and deeply emotional.
Can you guys help?

Gonzo 04-24-2012 09:43 AM

Network TV like ABC, CBS, Fox etc?

Do you get AMC or FX?

If you do, I would suggest checking out Breaking Bad if you're not already watching it.

If you're not, get NetFlix free for a month and watch Seasons 1 - 3. AMC should start showing Season 4 reruns before they start season 5.

It is the best show on TV right now. The Walking Dead is a close 2nd and from what I hear, Justified on FX is really good. I just haven't had time to check it out.

Micjones 04-24-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8562644)

Yeah, the "Big 4".

Quote:

If you're not, get NetFlix free for a month and watch Seasons 1 - 3. AMC should start showing Season 4 reruns before they start season 5.

It is the best show on TV right now. The Walking Dead is a close 2nd and from what I hear, Justified on FX is really good. I just haven't had time to check it out.
I've heard alot about "Breaking Bad" and "The Walking Dead".
I'll have to read a synopsis of those shows to see if I'd be interested in them.

Thanks for the tip, Gonz.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-24-2012 10:03 AM

If you would expand to AMC I'd highly recommend Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Sons of Anarchy is also a good show on FX as is Justified. Walking Dead is also pretty good.

The second season of The Killing is just starting up on AMC, but it's a tough pill to swallow.

Gonzo 04-24-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8562668)
If you would expand to AMC I'd highly recommend Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Sons of Anarchy is also a good show on FX as is Justified. Walking Dead is also pretty good.

The second season of The Killing is just starting up on AMC, but it's a tough pill to swallow.

This.

Network TV pretty much sucks now. AMC and FX are pure ****ing win with all of their shows.
HBO could take a lesson from them.
Sons of Anarchy is great. Not my favorite but still, a great show.

You just have to suspend belief with it for a bit. Everyone gets killed and all the cops just look the other way.

However, the ending of Season 3 was awesome. Season 4 left a little something to be desired.

Micjones 04-24-2012 11:40 AM

Kinda disheartened that there's NOTHING you guys can recommend on Network TV.
I'll be getting cable soon, but I need to find the right provider and I have a few other bills to tend to first.

I'd hate to started with a series via Netflix and not be able to keep up with the show.

blaise 04-24-2012 12:05 PM

If you're talking just network, maybe Person of Interest. It's good, but it can sometimes be a little slow. Jim Caveziel is the lead actor. Plays a former military guy who is off the grid and helps this other dude help people outside of the police. Then there's a cop that sort of pursues him, but also takes his help. She's played by an actress that was in Hustle and Flow.
I'll admit that I've only seen maybe 4 episodes, but I can't think of much else.

Chiefnj2 04-24-2012 12:35 PM

Network tv = reality tv. Between The Voice, DWTS, Idol, Survivor, America's Got Talent, The Apprentice, etc., you have most of your prime time spots taken up.

Frazod 04-24-2012 12:44 PM

Network TV is all but dead unless you're a ****ing idiot. That's clearly the audience the bulk of their shows are aimed at.

About the only network show that I watch is NCIS (the original). It's silly but entertaining, and I like the cast (I love the way they act like Norfolk is right next door to Washington LMAO ). Used to watch Criminal Minds, but the quality dropped off to the point I gave up on it last season. My wife records Hawaii 5-0 and CSI. Sometimes I'll watch them with her.

When it comes to shows I watch, there's Game of Thrones, Spartacus, Archer, Magic City and Pawn Stars. I know there are some other series I should check out, like Justified, but I just haven't done it yet.

Deberg_1990 04-24-2012 01:00 PM

Network TV caters to the "lowest Common Denominator" audience now with mostly reality and gimmick game shows.

Ive never watched these shows but i hear good things about "The Good Wife" and "Bluebloods" on CBS

Like everyone else has said, AMC, FX, HBO, Showtime and Starz are where the truly great dramas are anymore.

Ill add "Shameless" on Showtime to the great dramas list mentioned above.

Red Brooklyn 04-24-2012 01:13 PM

I'm behind a few episodes, so I'm not sure if it's holding up, but you might like Awake on NBC.

I'm not sure where it's going but it's interesting enough. The pilot episode was incredible. Each episode I've seen since has kept my attention and it's pretty well acted. Definitely fits "cerebral and deeply emotional" so far.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-24-2012 01:22 PM

Bluebloods is okay, though I find myself becoming bored with it.

Buck 04-24-2012 01:46 PM

Network TV is garbage and the best shows get the worst ratings.

Fringe is the best Network show on now, but it has horrible ratings and it would be tougj to just pick it up anywhere but from the beginning.

vailpass 04-24-2012 01:52 PM

There are still network channels?

blaise 04-24-2012 02:34 PM

There still some good comedies on network.

Micjones 04-24-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 8562871)
If you're talking just network, maybe Person of Interest. It's good, but it can sometimes be a little slow. Jim Caveziel is the lead actor. Plays a former military guy who is off the grid and helps this other dude help people outside of the police. Then there's a cop that sort of pursues him, but also takes his help.

Interesting. Good guy? Bad guy?

Quote:

She's played by an actress that was in Hustle and Flow.
Taraji Henson... With her sexy ass.

Micjones 04-24-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8562895)
Network tv = reality tv. Between The Voice, DWTS, Idol, Survivor, America's Got Talent, The Apprentice, etc., you have most of your prime time spots taken up.

The death of Network Television. Reality TV is so cheap to produce it's no wonder those shows fill up Network TV timeslots.

Micjones 04-24-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8562966)
I'm behind a few episodes, so I'm not sure if it's holding up, but you might like Awake on NBC.

I'm not sure where it's going but it's interesting enough. The pilot episode was incredible. Each episode I've seen since has kept my attention and it's pretty well acted. Definitely fits "cerebral and deeply emotional" so far.

I think I read about that series in this forum.

What I read definitely piqued my interest. This is a new show, no?

blaise 04-24-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8563109)
Interesting. Good guy? Bad guy?

Taraji Henson... With her sexy ass.

A good guy, but he'll uses tactics the police can't kind of thing. Breaking and entering, warrantless searches etc. She's good when she's on screen. Really, the problem with the show is Cavieziel (sp?) He talks in this sort of quiet monotone, and it makes it sort of sleepy.

Dayze 04-24-2012 09:43 PM

Only network shows I watch are Modern Family and New Girl. And Hells Kithen and Master Chef when they're on during certain times of year

Micjones 04-25-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 8563140)
A good guy, but he'll uses tactics the police can't kind of thing. Breaking and entering, warrantless searches etc. She's good when she's on screen. Really, the problem with the show is Cavieziel (sp?) He talks in this sort of quiet monotone, and it makes it sort of sleepy.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Aries Walker 04-25-2012 06:51 AM

I just jumped in on NYC 22 on Sunday nights, about rookie cops on their first assignments. It's pretty good.

Even better is Blue Bloods on Friday nights. It's nearing the end of season 2, so you may have some catching up, but it's really good.

I still watch Criminal Law and Person of Interest as well, which are both tops.

For non-network, catch A Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead, but they both require significant amounts of catch-up to fully realize the stories and relationships.

Red Brooklyn 04-25-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8563017)
Network TV is garbage and the best shows get the worst ratings.

Fringe is the best Network show on now, but it has horrible ratings and it would be tougj to just pick it up anywhere but from the beginning.

And even then it's a bit of a chore. The first 10 or 11 episodes are a bear to get through. I almost quit the show multiple times. In face, I did stop watching for about 6 months after I watched the first disc of season one. It wasn't until I heard about some of the stuff that happens in season two that I got interested enough to keep watching. I'm glad I did, though. But I'm still behind. I've only watched the first two seasons so far.

But it's a really fun show. I like it a lot now.

Red Brooklyn 04-25-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8563118)
I think I read about that series in this forum.

What I read definitely piqued my interest. This is a new show, no?

Yeah, it just started this year, in March, if I recall correctly.

Passepartout 04-25-2012 02:13 PM

Really don't like any of the new shows. As tv is not what it is back in the days, where we have three to four networks.

Micjones 04-25-2012 02:28 PM

So I've come away with "Awake" and "Person of Interest"...

The Rick 04-25-2012 02:47 PM

Anyone watch the Kiefer Sutherland show "Touch" on FOX? I've seen a couple of them and thought it was decent. It's from the guy who did "Heroes" I think.

Basically, Kiefer Sutherland's kid is a mute who is "obsessed with numbers and can see past, present and future events through the numbers" (quoted from Wikipedia).

Hard to explain, but basically, the premise is that everyone in the world is linked together somehow. The kid gives his Dad (Kiefer) a set of numbers, which allows the Dad to set certain things in motion (unknowingly) which impact many other people.

For example, the kid will give the Dad a set of numbers that lead the Dad to an address. In front of that address, the Dad will keep someone from getting hit by a car, which then allows a certain chain of events to take place that otherwise wouldn't have. It all plays out over the course of the show.

It's worth checking out if you like that kind of stuff...

keg in kc 04-25-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 8565571)
So I've come away with "Awake" and "Person of Interest"...

I watch them both and like them both a lot. At this point, I would say go with Person of Interest because it's (by far) the surer bet to get a second season. Awake is a really interesting show, though.

keg in kc 04-25-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 8565620)
Anyone watch the Kiefer Sutherland show "Touch" on FOX? I've seen a couple of them and thought it was decent. It's from the guy who did "Heroes" I think.

Basically, Kiefer Sutherland's kid is a mute who is "obsessed with numbers and can see past, present and future events through the numbers" (quoted from Wikipedia).

Hard to explain, but basically, the premise is that everyone in the world is linked together somehow. The kid gives his Dad (Kiefer) a set of numbers, which allows the Dad to set certain things in motion (unknowingly) which impact many other people.

For example, the kid will give the Dad a set of numbers that lead the Dad to an address. In front of that address, the Dad will keep someone from getting hit by a car, which then allows a certain chain of events to take place that otherwise wouldn't have. It all plays out over the course of the show.

I did watch the first couple of episodes of Touch, but it really doesn't do anything for me.

Frosty 04-25-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8565681)
I did watch the first couple of episodes of Touch, but it really doesn't do anything for me.

Me either. It was also uber annoying to watch an hour of Sutherland running around constantly yelling "Jake! Jake! Jake! Don't do that! Jake! Jake! Come here! Jake!".

The Rick 04-25-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 8565738)
Me either. It was also uber annoying to watch an hour of Sutherland running around constantly yelling "Jake! Jake! Jake! Don't do that! Jake! Jake! Come here! Jake!".

ROFL

kcxiv 04-26-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8565680)
I watch them both and like them both a lot. At this point, I would say go with Person of Interest because it's (by far) the surer bet to get a second season. Awake is a really interesting show, though.

POI is the number one new drama. its not going anywhere right now. It gets great ratings for a 10pm show.

jiveturkey 04-26-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 8565738)

That is exactly what my problem is.

I'd go so far as to say that it really grinds my gears.

DaKCMan AP 04-26-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rick (Post 8565620)

I've been watching it On Demand, but I'm not sold on the series yet.

One new show I like a lot is Scandal. The fourth (I think) episode is on tonight on ABC.

MTG#10 04-26-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8562644)

Do you get AMC or FX?

If you do, I would suggest checking out Breaking Bad if you're not already watching it.

This, all good shows. Breaking Bad is the best show Ive ever seen. Amazing story, crazy twists and the acting is superb.

Micjones 04-26-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8565680)

I'll keep that in mind. Thank you sir!

Baby Lee 04-26-2012 09:13 AM

Network Series feel the best recommending

Dramas
Castle
Fringe
Parenthood
Person of Interest
The Good Wife

Sitcoms
Modern Family
Parks and Recreation
Raising Hope
The Middle
The New Girl

kcxiv 04-26-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8567503)
Network Series feel the best recommending

Dramas
Castle
Fringe
Parenthood
Person of Interest
The Good Wife

Sitcoms
Modern Family
Parks and Recreation
Raising Hope
The Middle
The New Girl

raising hope is really funny.

Bump 04-26-2012 04:11 PM

I guess the Jon Stewart show is alright if you're looking for a news show

Fire Me Boy! 04-27-2012 12:31 PM

Person of Interest
Alcatraz has been interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8564230)
Only network shows I watch are Modern Family and New Girl. And Hells Kithen and Master Chef when they're on during certain times of year

New Girl is freaking hilarious. And Hell's Kitchen/Master Chef are regular watches for me and the wife.

kcxiv 04-27-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8573263)
Person of Interest
Alcatraz has been interesting.

New Girl is freaking hilarious. And Hell's Kitchen/Master Chef are regular watches for me and the wife.

CeCe is ****ing smoking hot on New Girl, that girl is just uhhhhh. haha

Persons of Interest was really freaking good lastnight as well.

Baby Lee 09-25-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8567503)
Parenthood

Katims made Kristina [Monica Potter] cry . . . and me.

EDIT: Aaaannd NARM bares his soul to Mayon-Egg, Kill me now.

007 09-26-2012 12:04 AM

Liked the first ep of Vegas.

Deberg_1990 09-26-2012 08:00 AM

Damn, i missed Vegas.

Baby Lee 09-26-2012 08:25 AM

Ben and Kate and the Mindy Project were both pretty solid.

Ben and Kate was more focused and had better comedy beats, I actually laughed out loud when Kate

Spoiler!

The Mindy Project was a little overstuffed, but presented some intriguing potential

Buck 09-26-2012 09:20 AM

I'm not sure about The Mindy Project. Seems like she was just talking shit about her own weight the whole time.

Huffmeister 09-26-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8951801)
Ben and Kate was more focused and had better comedy beats

Carolla mentioned on his podcast that Nat Faxon, the guy that plays Ben, was Deaf Frat Guy's cousin. I thought he was joking at first, but then I saw a pic of Faxon and they are definitely from the same gene pool.

jiveturkey 09-26-2012 03:52 PM

I'm guessing that there's 4 or 5 sitcom writers in the entire country that sit around and place stupid 1 liners in a massive bowl.

The scripts are then put together using trained marmots that reach in and place the stupid one liners in random order.

Last night I watched Partners with the wife (she sucks at watching TV) and I'm pretty sure that they're using untrained marmots.

She also watches Two Broke Girls, which was the first show that turned me on to the marmot conspiracy.

Baby Lee 09-26-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8952891)
I'm guessing that there's 4 or 5 sitcom writers in the entire country that sit around and place stupid 1 liners in a massive bowl.

The scripts are then put together using trained marmots that reach in and place the stupid one liners in random order.

Last night I watched Partners with the wife (she sucks at watching TV) and I'm pretty sure that they're using untrained marmots.

She also watches Two Broke Girls, which was the first show that turned me on to the marmot conspiracy.

I heard it was Manatees and Beach Balls.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full...on-wars-part-i

IOW - South Park did it.

BTW - Partners and 2BG are the bottom of the sitcom barrel. The latter is only popular for epic boobies on one of the stars. The former is gonna be gone quick.

blaise 09-27-2012 10:55 AM

I'll probably give Elementary a chance. A Sherlock Holmes variation.

Frosty 09-27-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 8954370)

Elementary and Last Resort are the main ones I'm looking forward to. It's kind of a lame set of shows this season.

kcxiv 09-27-2012 11:28 PM

Damn Person's of interest season 2 start was good shit.

mnchiefsguy 09-28-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 8954370)

Elementary was a disappointment. SHerlock on the BBC is so much better. CBS is obviously trying to rip it off....and Lucy Liu as Watson did not do anything for me either. Will probably watch a couple of more to see if it gets any better....but not sure how long I will stick with it.

Frazod 09-29-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8951532)
Liked the first ep of Vegas.

They re-aired the pilot earlier this evening and I watched it. I didn't realize before that it was set in the 60s. Not bad, and I like the cast. Seems like it will have a Deadwood dynamic.

Buns 09-29-2012 10:02 PM

Vegas was pretty good. The two lead males did well in their roles and I really enjoyed seeing Trinity with a mound of thick ass in a skirt.

Jenson71 09-30-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8956127)
Elementary was a disappointment. SHerlock on the BBC is so much better. CBS is obviously trying to rip it off....and Lucy Liu as Watson did not do anything for me either. Will probably watch a couple of more to see if it gets any better....but not sure how long I will stick with it.

I haven't seen the BBC version, but I really liked the CBS knock-off. I love Lucy Liu.

Sherlock is on Netflix Instant. I'm going to check it out later this fall.

blaise 09-30-2012 09:56 AM

Elementary was ok, but Sherlock is much better.

mnchiefsguy 09-30-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 8960508)
I haven't seen the BBC version, but I really liked the CBS knock-off. I love Lucy Liu.

Sherlock is on Netflix Instant. I'm going to check it out later this fall.

You are in for a treat. Sherlock is some of the best Sherlock Holmes material ever filmed. Fantastic series.

Jenson71 09-30-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8961708)
You are in for a treat. Sherlock is some of the best Sherlock Holmes material ever filmed. Fantastic series.

Am I right in seeing that Season 1 of Sherlock contains a grand total of 3 episodes, or does Netflix just not carry them all?

mnchiefsguy 09-30-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 8962192)
Am I right in seeing that Season 1 of Sherlock contains a grand total of 3 episodes, or does Netflix just not carry them all?

You are correct. Each of the two seasons is only 3 episodes, but each episode is about 90 minutes long.

blaise 09-30-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 8962381)
You are correct. Each of the two seasons is only 3 episodes, but each episode is about 90 minutes long.

A commercial free 90 minutes, too.

KevB 10-01-2012 09:11 AM

I liked Elementary ok for a pilot episode. Enough to watch it again. Has a House, MD vibe to it. Flawed genius with a buddy to keep him straight. BBC Sherlock is definitely superior though, really good stuff there.

Baby Lee 10-01-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8966416)
I liked Elementary ok for a pilot episode. Enough to watch it again. Has a House, MD vibe to it. Flawed genius with a buddy to keep him straight. BBC Sherlock is definitely superior though, really good stuff there.

You DO get that House had a Sherlock Holmes vibe to it?

Drug abuse to avoid the world [cocaine v vicodin]
Music to cope with boredom [violin v guitar]
Bored layabout when not on a case, amusing himself with base entertainment [agony columns v soap operas]
One main friend who he calls by last name [WAtson v Wilson]
Arrogant and adamant that his arrogance is justified.

Down to something as mundane as

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10.../meme/221B.jpg

Bwana 10-01-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8959733)
They re-aired the pilot earlier this evening and I watched it. I didn't realize before that it was set in the 60s. Not bad, and I like the cast. Seems like it will have a Deadwood dynamic.

If you liked Deadwood, check out "Hell on wheels." Damn good show.

http://www.entertainmentwallpaper.co...n-wheels10.jpg

rockymtnchief 10-01-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8968046)

:thumb:

I DVR it every week. I want to shoot that damn Swede!

Bwana 10-01-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockymtnchief (Post 8968120)
:thumb:

I DVR it every week. I want to shoot that damn Swede!

Yeah, that son of a bitch needs a bullet.

Baby Lee 10-01-2012 07:26 PM

Bones isn't a new show, but Danielle Panabaker is new to it, and MAN did she like 30 years since was was a teen on Shark ~3 years ago.

Buehler445 10-01-2012 08:10 PM

I've been watching Hell on Wheels. Good show. Definitely worth the DVR. Really into it. Even my wife likes it.

Frazod 10-03-2012 11:12 PM

Hooked on Vegas. It rocks.

OmahaChief 10-04-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8968528)
I've been watching Hell on Wheels. Good show. Definitely worth the DVR. Really into it. Even my wife likes it.

I am a big fan of Hell on Wheels. Really enjoy some of the characters and the storyline is good enough to keep me interested. The Swede is one weird dude.

Deberg_1990 10-11-2012 06:29 AM

Anyone watch Nashville? Starring Hayden Panties and Connie Britton.

Younger hottie Vs. older hottie. It wasnt half bad for what it was..

007 10-11-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8975769)
Hooked on Vegas. It rocks.

It has been great so far.

kcxiv 10-11-2012 09:45 AM

I forgot about Nashville. I need to watch it love me some Connie Briton and Hayden.

Also Persons of interest is on. Second year show but favorite new one

keg in kc 10-11-2012 09:12 PM

Who knew mike ermantrout died and went to vegas.

Bump 10-11-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8968046)

holy crap! Poker player Chris Ferguson is in this? I might have to check it out.

BigMeatballDave 10-11-2012 10:37 PM

Go On isn't great at all, but Laura Benanti is hot.