ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Los Angeles City Council approves NFL Stadium (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264378)

TinyEvel 09-28-2012 07:34 PM

Los Angeles City Council approves NFL Stadium

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...headline_stack

PBJ ??

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles took a major step Friday toward building a downtown stadium to lure an NFL team back to the nation's second most populous city, despite questions about how a 72,000-seat venue in the city's urban core would impact notorious freeway traffic, nearby housing prices and air quality.

The 12-0 vote by City Council came after starkly contrasting predictions about what the $1.5 billion project would mean for an economically troubled city that has fretted over the loss of professional football since the Raiders and Rams fled Southern California in 1994.

Supporters said the deal with developer Anschutz Entertainment Group would create thousands of jobs, a hub of civic pride and new tax dollars for cash-starved City Hall, while critics warned that affordable housing would vanish in the neighborhood while traffic would come to a virtual standstill on game days.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said in a statement after the vote that it demonstrates "what we can accomplish when the city family joins together with private partners in a transformational development."

"This is truly a game changer for Los Angeles," Villaraigosa said.

The vote was overshadowed by the recent announcement that AEG was seeking a new owner, though company officials have assured City Hall the stadium plan will remain the same, even if the company changes hands.

Breer: Peyton '12 = Peyton '08?
Peyton Manning started 1-2 in 2008. He went on to win MVP. Albert Breer examines what that means for 2012. More ...
The biggest question about the stadium is the most obvious: There's no one to play in it. But the Democratic mayor and other supporters hope the agreement will eventually attract a team - or two - to one of the nation's most lucrative media markets.

AEG, also the owner of Los Angeles' Staples Center arena and the NHL's Los Angeles Kings, has deep ties to City Hall. Any deal to buy the company, a subsidiary of Denver-based Anschutz Co., would mean a major shift in sports and entertainment in the region and around the world.

AEG's holdings include pro soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy, part-ownership of the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers, and major entertainment and real estate holdings in downtown Los Angeles. Outside the city, AEG owns Major League Soccer's Houston Dynamo and all or part of several arenas around the U.S. and in Sweden, China and Australia.

The project, which calls for the renovation of an adjacent convention center, is facing a lawsuit filed by anti-poverty and environmental activists that some predict could delay or derail plans for the stadium, known as Farmers Field. The activist group, Play Fair at Farmers Field Coalition, is challenging a state law intended to help swiftly resolve legal challenges to the stadium, and it also wants AEG to pay $60 million toward affordable housing in the long-struggling downtown neighborhood.

There are some risky assumptions. In a city where everyone drives, planners predict many fans will leave their vehicles at home and travel to the stadium by bus or rail.

A rival group, Majestic Realty, has proposed building a stadium in the City of Industry, outside Los Angeles.

AEG is hoping to have an NFL team on the field by the 2017 season. The company has pledged about $35 million to reduce traffic problems.

ClevelandBronco 09-28-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 8957652)
...despite questions about how a 72,000-seat venue in the city's urban core would impact notorious freeway traffic, nearby housing prices and air quality...

Seriously? That's like weighing whether you should use all of your normal amount of mayo or just three quarters of it on your bacon, sausage and glazed donut sandwich.

RealSNR 09-28-2012 07:46 PM

This is the beginning of the end, Setsuna

ThaVirus 09-28-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8957668)

LMAO

L.A. Chieffan 09-28-2012 07:55 PM

Traffic wouldn't be that much worse than normal unless the Lakers area playing and the Dodgers are in the world series (and we know that's not happening) haha did it first!

Dayze 09-28-2012 08:01 PM

Reaaaalllllly? /clark

Wish I could find the Ace Ventura "reeeaallly" pic or gif

Ming the Merciless 09-28-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8957668)

The Los Angeles Jaguars

Maybe they will change their name to the LA Stars or someother gay name, God I hope so

Deberg_1990 09-28-2012 08:13 PM

I can't wait to watch the Los Angeles Chiefs begin play in 2016!

TinyEvel 09-28-2012 08:21 PM

Move the Chargers up here, then I have a shorter ride to see the Chiefs when they come out.

Downtown traffic wouldn't be any different than when there's a Lakers game. the article is reaching.

displacedinMN 09-28-2012 08:38 PM

My order:

1. jaguars
2. Chargers
3. Bills
4 Rams

Just looking at teams with low fan base and bad stadium set ups.

The move would come with a name change unless the Chargers move-sentimental AFL reasons.

But as for adding a new team-there is not enough talent to add a team

then we are talking division re-alignment again

ChiefsCountry 09-28-2012 08:39 PM

Jaguars would be the logical choice, but the team that makes the most sense would be the Raiders. If they would sell the team, you are looking at a Dallas Cowboys type money making machine if they would move back to LA. Chargers are #3 and most likely IMO to move though.

ChiefsCountry 09-28-2012 08:40 PM

Also for us in Central and Southwest Missouri, worst case is if somehow an AFC team ends up in St. Louis. The Chiefs games on CBS would be several undercutted then.

displacedinMN 09-28-2012 08:41 PM

forgot about the Raiders and the dead pajama man

good call

RealSNR 09-28-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8957718)
The Los Angeles Jaguars

Maybe they will change their name to the LA Stars or someother gay name, God I hope so

They'll break the mold of suitable concrete pluralities that every team in the NFL has in common. The Chiefs. Giants. Packers. Jets. Gay sex-having cock gobbling cum-on-mustaches Broncos.

They'll probably turn them into some idiotic WNBA team.

Los Angeles Fame

Los Angeles Lemon Party

Los Angeles Pizzazz

Aries Walker 09-28-2012 08:48 PM

All I ask is that, if they come up with a new name, it ends in 's'. Bonus points if it refers to a weapon, a ruler of men, a warrior caste, or a fanged animal.

Discuss Thrower 09-28-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8957786)
Also for us in Central and Southwest Missouri, worst case is if somehow an AFC team ends up in St. Louis. The Chiefs games on CBS would be several undercutted then.

That would just piss me off because I almost guarantee Springfield would be a STL market.

DaneMcCloud 09-28-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 8957814)
All I ask is that, if they come up with a new name, it ends in 's'. Bonus points if it refers to a weapon, a ruler of men, a warrior caste, or a fanged animal.

The Los Angeles Vampires would be the perfect name...

Discuss Thrower 09-28-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8957836)
The Los Angeles Vampires would be the perfect name...

David Boreanaz is gonna sue someone for Likeness Rights.

DaneMcCloud 09-28-2012 09:10 PM

The latest "interesting twist" in the NFL to Los Angeles is that Philip Anschutz is selling AEG, which owns Staples, 25% of the Lakers, L.A. Live! (including the Nokia Theater) and the Los Angeles Kings.

Under the previous terms, AEG would only bring a team to Los Angeles IF the owner was willing to sell the team to AEG. Now, that might not be the case. A new owner may only want partial ownership or controlling interest, instead of the whole enchilada.

Also, Roger Goodell has stated implicitly that the only way the Raiders even have an opportunity to return to Los Angeles would be if Mark Davis agrees to sell the team in whole. Personally, I can't see that happening.

TinyEvel 09-28-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8957859)

Also, Roger Goodell has stated implicitly that the only way the Raiders even have an opportunity to return to Los Angeles would be if Mark Davis agrees to sell the team in whole.

High-five Goodell!!!

Ruck the Faiders. big time.

L.A. Chieffan 09-28-2012 09:40 PM

Either one of you guys been to Animal on Fairfax? I'm headed there now.

DaneMcCloud 09-28-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8957911)
Either one of you guys been to Animal on Fairfax? I'm headed there now.

I haven't been there yet. The closest I've been to that restaurant is Jar, on Beverly. I've heard good things about Animal, so you'll have to let us know.

L.A. Chieffan 09-28-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8957915)
I haven't been there yet. The closest I've been to that restaurant is Jar, on Beverly. I've heard good things about Animal, so you'll have to let us know.

Yeah I saw it on Bourdain. The bone marrow looks awesome!

DaneMcCloud 09-28-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8957916)
Yeah I saw it on Bourdain. The bone marrow looks awesome!

Yeah, when it's done right, it's awesome. Enjoy!

TinyEvel 09-29-2012 12:42 AM

I had that bone marrow at The Gorbals in the Alexandria downtown. l also got that 57 dollar beef shank. Talk about Fred Flintstone meat!

L.A. Chieffan 09-29-2012 12:43 PM

So the "marrow bone" as they call it, was off the chain. I wanted to get two orders of it but my wife made me get something else. Anyways really good times and food.

Also if you're into that kind of thing there's a new Banksy up on a gas station real close off of La Brea that we had to check out.

pimpchief 09-29-2012 12:50 PM

The la boners.

saphojunkie 09-29-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 8957741)
Move the Chargers up here, then I have a shorter ride to see the Chiefs when they come out.

Downtown traffic wouldn't be any different than when there's a Lakers game. the article is reaching.

You can take the subway from hollywood/highland to the staples center parking lot. As long as there's a stop for the new stadium, I'm gonna love it.

alnorth 09-29-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 8957814)

The Los Angeles Vampire Bats

Makes sense in many ways.

pimpchief 09-29-2012 12:59 PM

La Fake Boobies

Dayze 09-29-2012 01:01 PM

The LA I'm Only Waiting Tables Until I Make it Big Movies...es

alnorth 09-29-2012 01:03 PM

The Los Angeles Parking Tickets

Ming the Merciless 09-29-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8957792)
Los Angeles Pizzazz

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

Valiant 09-29-2012 01:30 PM

That is stupid as hell for a cash strapped state/city

No new good permanent jobs will be created, just vendor jobs, everyone else will be a transplant.

The city will be spending all that jack for a owner to come in practically free. If a team knew it would reap profits it would build its own stadium jones style.

City will not see a real payback for decades with the breaks they will give, and by then the owner will upgrades.

Now, if the city is allowed to purchase the team. It would work. But that will never be allowed to happen.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8958979)
That is stupid as hell for a cash strapped state/city

No new good permanent jobs will be created, just vendor jobs, everyone else will be a transplant.

The city will be spending all that jack for a owner to come in practically free. If a team knew it would reap profits it would build its own stadium jones style.

City will not see a real payback for decades with the breaks they will give, and by then the owner will upgrades.

Now, if the city is allowed to purchase the team. It would work. But that will never be allowed to happen.

The city isn't paying a dime. It's all privately financed by AEG.

BWillie 09-29-2012 01:36 PM

The LA Whining Taking No Accountability Circle Jerk

Titty Meat 09-29-2012 01:53 PM

The new stadium is going up near where Biggie Smalls was killed. Not a good area.

Valiant 09-29-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8959006)
The city isn't paying a dime. It's all privately financed by AEG.

The city will be paying. Aeg will include a stipulation to where if a certain criteria of attendence is not met the city pays.

How else do they make money other then a percentage for the stadium and what goes on there? The only other thing I can think of is owner paying leasing, but is that enough to recoup 1.5billion?

The owner will get all the money for the team and merch. I guess they can split concessions. But that still

Rausch 09-29-2012 02:00 PM

Won't happen in LA because no one gives a $3it.

The end...

Brock 09-29-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 8959104)
Won't happen in LA because no one gives a $3it.

The end...

Oh, it's happening.

Rausch 09-29-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8959112)
Oh, it's happening.

Nope...

qabbaan 09-29-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 8957777)
My order:

1. jaguars
2. Chargers
3. Bills
4 Rams

Just looking at teams with low fan base and bad stadium set ups.

The move would come with a name change unless the Chargers move-sentimental AFL reasons.

But as for adding a new team-there is not enough talent to add a team

then we are talking division re-alignment again

The jaguars have a new owner and aren't going anywhere.

Oakland seems like the most likely candidate.

qabbaan 09-29-2012 02:24 PM

The LA team should offer a discount if you get there in time for kickoff.

HemiEd 09-29-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 8957741)

I don't pretend to have a clue about the area, as I only go out there once a year.

But from what I read, the Staples center holds 19k, why wouldn't 72k be a bigger problem?

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8959082)
The city will be paying. Aeg will include a stipulation to where if a certain criteria of attendence is not met the city pays.

How else do they make money other then a percentage for the stadium and what goes on there? The only other thing I can think of is owner paying leasing, but is that enough to recoup 1.5billion?

The owner will get all the money for the team and merch. I guess they can split concessions. But that still

You don't know what you're talking about, whatsoever, so why do you feel the need to chime in with bullshit statements?

Aries Walker 09-29-2012 03:48 PM

I would totally be down with the Los Angeles Vampires.

L.A. Chieffan 09-29-2012 04:00 PM

I really liked the uniforms and helmets from the movie Any Given Sunday. The L.A. Sharks would be cool. And since its in LA they could even get Pacino to be the HC

TinyEvel 09-29-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 8959076)
The new stadium is going up near where Biggie Smalls was killed. Not a good area.

No, he was shot at Fairfax and Wilshire. Mracle mile/LaBrea tarpits area. I worked right there at the time. This is downtown.

Chief_For_Life58 09-29-2012 04:09 PM

so which team will move into this stadium? rams? jags? chiefs?!?!?

Titty Meat 09-29-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 8959331)
No, he was shot at Fairfax and Wilshire. Mracle mile/LaBrea tarpits area. I worked right there at the time. This is downtown.

I was being silly lol

Deberg_1990 09-29-2012 04:52 PM

The Los Angeles Smut

Dayze 09-29-2012 04:56 PM

LA ATMs

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 8959397)
LA ATMs

Automatic Teller Machines or Ass To Mouths?

LMAO

Dayze 09-29-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8959410)
Automatic Teller Machines or Ass To Mouths?

LMAO

:hmmm::hmmm:

Ace Gunner 09-29-2012 05:35 PM

CH-Ching!
http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/1E/8299AB..._cJzCTbqCj.jpg

whoman69 09-29-2012 05:38 PM

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedi...s.panthers.jpg

BossChief 09-29-2012 05:41 PM

Why not do another expansion instead of moving an existing team?

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8959436)
Why not do another expansion instead of moving an existing team?

I'd say two: AFC & NFC.

There's no shortage of talent or QB's these days, so it makes the most sense to expand and really give Los Angeles their own homegrown teams.

Bump 09-29-2012 06:53 PM

3rd time's a charm? or 4th? or whatever it is.

How many teams have moved out of LA? they can't even keep a team.

Brock 09-29-2012 06:55 PM

Just get rid of Jacksonville and put a new team in LA.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8959547)
3rd time's a charm? or 4th? or whatever it is.

How many teams have moved out of LA? they can't even keep a team.

Ridiculously naive comment

Bump 09-29-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8959583)
Ridiculously naive comment

no, I stated FACTS.

Predarat 09-29-2012 07:52 PM

They really do need to back off of this two teams to LA thing. They haven't even proved they can keep 1 yet.

Simplicity 09-29-2012 08:28 PM

Would be sweet to see a new team added to the NFL.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8959588)
no, I stated FACTS.

LMAO

Dumbassery at its finest right here, folks.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 8959637)
They really do need to back off of this two teams to LA thing. They haven't even proved they can keep 1 yet.

Oh, JFC.

How about the Rams. 25 years of sellouts before that raging ****ress murderer moved them to Anaheim?

Braincase 09-29-2012 08:29 PM

Raiders will have some sort of legal action before the end of next week.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8959699)
Raiders will have some sort of legal action before the end of next week.

Goodell won't allow them to move. He's already stated it publicly. Plus, Mark Davis isn't his Dad.

If the Raiders go anywhere, it'll be to Santa Clara to share a stadium with the 49ers.

ChiefsCountry 09-29-2012 09:06 PM

The facts about LA not supporting a football team are pretty ****ing stupid. LA had the Rams for 48 years. Chiefs are celebrating 50 in KC this year. Just let that sink it for a second. The trouble in Los Angeles was a stadium since the Coliseum and Rose Bowl are too large for normal NFL games and lack suites. Not to mention crappy ownership. Los Angeles supported the Rams well for many years.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8959761)
The facts about LA not supporting a football team are pretty ****ing stupid. LA had the Rams for 48 years. Chiefs are celebrating 50 in KC this year. Just let that sink it for a second. The trouble in Los Angeles was a stadium since the Coliseum and Rose Bowl are too large for normal NFL games and lack suites. Not to mention crappy ownership. Los Angeles supported the Rams well for many years.

The real story, which many people don't know, is the Irsay, Sr owned the Rams and swapped them for the Colts in 1972. The new Rams owner, Carol Rosenbloom, married a stripper named Georgia Frontiere, who likely murdered him years later.

She moved the team to Anaheim because they offered her a sweetheart deal. After she ran the team into the ground during the late 90's, mostly due to incredible mismanagement of the front office in the aftermath of the Dickerson trade.

St. Louis came calling because they screwed up their ownership group during the last league expansion phase (which went to Jacksonville), gave her a sweetheart deal and now, they're looking to opt out again.

Blame the organization, not the city.

Bump 09-29-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8959695)
LMAO

Dumbassery at its finest right here, folks.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...gifs/p0Cka.gif

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump

You were like 7 years old when the Rams and Raiders left Los Angeles.

Would you like to explain to us why each team left? I already explained the Rams, but go ahead and let us know the real reason the Raiders left.

Thanks in advance.

Bump 09-29-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8959799)
You were like 7 years old when the Rams and Raiders left Los Angeles.

Would you like to explain to us why each team left? I already explained the Rams, but go ahead and let us know the real reason the Raiders left.

Thanks in advance.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...gifs/5j9AZ.gif

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump

Why the **** aren't you out partying? JFC, when I was your age, I didn't get home before 4am. Hell, I'd be out now if I had a sitter.

Predarat 09-29-2012 09:36 PM

I think what they should do is put a CFL team in LA. Keep the NFL out of LA.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 8959835)
I think what they should do is put a CFL team in LA. Keep the NFL out of LA.

More ****ing stupid nonsense.

Bump 09-29-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 8959834)
Why the **** aren't you out partying? JFC, when I was your age, I didn't get home before 4am. Hell, I'd be out now if I had a sitter.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...gifs/BHfl6.gif

Predarat 09-29-2012 09:40 PM

If they do put an NFL team in LA, it won't take long for someone to 'bust a drive by' and kill some NFL players to death. Those players are worth millions. Then the team will want to move, and the stadium will sit there barren and abandoned without a paying tenant. Hell maybe they will get cain west and little wayne concerts every now and then, but thats about it.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 8959848)
If they do put an NFL team in LA, it won't take long for someone to 'bust a drive by' and kill some NFL players to death. Those players are worth millions. Then the team will want to move, and the stadium will sit there barren and abandoned without a paying tenant. Hell maybe they will get cain west and little wayne concerts every now and them, but thats about it.

LMAO

How ****ing ignorant.

Aries Walker 09-29-2012 09:54 PM

Who is "Cain West"?