ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV So....my Samsung TV won't turn on (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=294730)

Hammock Parties 09-18-2015 03:24 PM

So....my Samsung TV won't turn on

Or at least it's having a lot of trouble doing so.

Last night I had to hit the button on the remote several times to get it to turn on. Fine when it did.

Now it won't turn on at all this afternoon.

What's up? Do I just need to junk it or is this something that can be fixed?

TV:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65EH...ews/B0074FGNDC

jjjayb 09-18-2015 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11740019)
Or at least it's having a lot of trouble doing so.

Last night I had to hit the button on the remote several times to get it to turn on. Fine when it did.

Now it won't turn on at all this afternoon.

What's up? Do I just need to junk it or is this something that can be fixed?

TV:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65EH...ews/B0074FGNDC

Probably a stupid question, but did you try turning it on by pushing the button on the tv instead of the remote?

Hammock Parties 09-18-2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 11740089)
Probably a stupid question, but did you try turning it on by pushing the button on the tv instead of the remote?

Yes.

notorious 09-18-2015 03:59 PM

Is the power light blinking a set number of times when you try to turn it on?

Hammock Parties 09-18-2015 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11740095)
Is the power light blinking a set number of times when you try to turn it on?

It blinks once like it always does.

eDave 09-18-2015 04:12 PM

Bad switch. Small part.

Perineum Ripper 09-18-2015 04:19 PM

Did you take the battery out then put it back in..that's what what Verizon tells me to do to my Samsung phone..no reason it wouldn't work on your Samsung tv

Hammock Parties 09-18-2015 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 11740117)
Bad switch. Small part.

So any TV repairman worth his salt should be able to fix?

eDave 09-18-2015 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11740150)
So any TV repairman worth his salt should be able to fix?

Absolutely.

If the light never changes when the button (or heat sensor) is activated, then it's the switch.

If you are turning it on and the switch light goes off, then you have a bigger issue.

Check the TV batteries first though.

Bob Dole 09-18-2015 04:57 PM

Don't know if old man Ring is still fixing things. Ring TV in Nevada, MO.

The Franchise 09-18-2015 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 11740197)
Don't know if old man Ring is still fixing things. Ring TV in Nevada, MO.

http://digitalclaritygroup.com/wordp...12/08/trap.png

Simply Red 09-18-2015 05:07 PM

Motherboard yo. Pfft... good luck champ!

Hammock Parties 09-18-2015 05:08 PM

Eh **** it. Time for a new TV.

notorious 09-18-2015 05:13 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN75HU...keywords=80+tv

Buck 09-18-2015 05:16 PM

Known issue in Samsung TVs. Buy a Panasonic Plasma if you can still buy one.

Simply Red 09-18-2015 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11740230)
Eh **** it. Time for a new TV.

Don't listen to me - I was being dumb - I will say nothing positive for another week - at least.

Shaid 09-18-2015 05:20 PM

Mine occasionally does that and I have to unplug it and plug it back in and then it works fine.

Gonzo 09-18-2015 05:20 PM

Plasma?

notorious 09-18-2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 11740253)

Nowhere to be found.

mr. tegu 09-18-2015 05:56 PM

It was just a day too late.

notorious 09-18-2015 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 11740331)
It was just a day too late.

LMAO

Clay's TV killed itself.

Hammock Parties 09-18-2015 09:32 PM

Got a 60" Vizio at Sam's Club.

I will miss you, perfect Samsung. :deevee:

DaneMcCloud 09-18-2015 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 11740253)

Sony Trinitron FTW

Hammock Parties 09-19-2015 10:41 AM

Swear to god, the guy who just picked up my old 65" fit it in his mid-size sedan. LMAO

I have no idea how he drove it. The thing was wedged in the front seat through the back, over the seats.

notorious 09-19-2015 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11740973)

Downsized and downgraded?

:gasp:

srvy 09-19-2015 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11741702)
Downsized and downgraded?

:gasp:

Downsized yes downgraded I dont think so. Samsung is maybe the worst support of any electronics in the business. There TVs have all kinds of problems and complaints as long as King Kong's arms. They never answered or did anything about there faulty plasma panels in the past. They would heat up and vertical dead pixels would start and multiply till the picture was unwatchable. All kinds of class action suits out there but being a Korean Company they seem to not care that the product was shitty. Visio on the other hand has some of the best support out there and there LCD panels are first rate along with picture.

Hammock Parties 09-19-2015 01:59 PM

Honestly, it's a better, lighter TV with more features (internet, netflix, amazon, etc). The metal legs on each side are a huge plus. I hated the wobbly stand on the Samsung. The picture quality is almost the same.

I'll never buy another 65" TV. A nightmare to move.

notorious 09-19-2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11741838)
Honestly, it's a better, lighter TV with more features (internet, netflix, amazon, etc). The metal legs on each side are a huge plus. I hated the wobbly stand on the Samsung. The picture quality is almost the same.

I'll never buy another 65" TV. A nightmare to move.

Good to know.

I am a huge plasma fan, but I am thinking of moving our 55" Panasonic to the den and putting a 75" 4k in the living room.

Samsung is a possibility, but you guys are talking me out of it.

Let us know how the Vizio handles sports. For some reason I have never been impressed by Vizio. Maybe things have changed.

Hammock Parties 09-19-2015 02:14 PM

The models in the store have the backlight/brightness/contrast turned way down for some reason, BTW. They look dimmer than the Samsung. They aren't.

I guess stores make the most expensive TVs look better.

notorious 09-19-2015 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11741859)
The models in the store have the backlight/brightness/contrast turned way down for some reason, BTW. They look dimmer than the Samsung. They aren't.

Stores do that to sell certain brands during promotions.

That's why you never want to buy a display plasma. They set the tv to "blazing bright" mode to show it off, but it kills the life of the TV.

DaneMcCloud 09-19-2015 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11741857)
Good to know.

I am a huge plasma fan, but I am thinking of moving our 55" Panasonic to the den and putting a 75" 4k in the living room.

Let us know how the Vizio handles sports. For some reason I have never been impressed by Vizio. Maybe things have changed.

If you're going 4k, go for the Sony. It's amazing.

Miles 09-19-2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11741857)
Good to know.

Visio M series has received good reviews and is not as pricey for the larger sets. If your budget is larger definitely look into what Samsung and Sony have to offer. With Sony I wasn't overly impressed with the 850C but the 940C is extremely impressive. Samsung's better sets kick in with the ones they advertise as SUHD.

The higher end sets will offer a wider color range and contrast (HDR) which is possibly a bigger improvement than the increased resolution of 4k. Otherwise Visio is pretty attractive for the price.

notorious 09-19-2015 05:34 PM

The speakers on the 940c are just .....ugh.

Most people buying a TV of that caliber are going to have a nice surround system.

eDave 09-19-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11742139)

Most people buying a TV of that caliber are going to have a nice surround system.

All slim line TV speakers suck. No room. My Samsung (550) came with a free Sony system. Not much of one but it works great for the bedroom.

Miles 09-19-2015 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11742139)

I have the same thoughts but it at least looks a lot better in person than pictures. While I'd opt for not having them, the speakers are actually pretty nice if you don't always have your system on.

notorious 09-19-2015 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 11742171)
I have the same thoughts but it at least looks a lot better in person than pictures. While I'd opt for not having them, the speakers are actually pretty nice if you don't always have your system on.

That TV is for the guy that doesn't want to explain to his wife for the 10040204042x time how to turn the stereo on.

One button. Still doesn't get it. LMAO

Hammock Parties 09-19-2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11742183)
That TV is for the guy that doesn't want to explain to his wife for the 10040204042x time how to turn the stereo on.

I don't think I've ever met a woman who ever cared about the following things:

1. Picture quality.
2. Sound quality.
3. Screen size.

But GOD DAMMIT, the TV stand better look nice and the cables better not be visible! :shake::shake:

notorious 09-19-2015 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11742211)
I don't think I've ever met a woman who ever cared about the following things:

1. Picture quality.
2. Sound quality.
3. Screen size.

But GOD DAMMIT, the TV stand better look nice and the cables better not be visible! :shake::shake:

"Can this TV get the E! channel?"

http://replygif.net/i/943.gif

Gonzo 09-20-2015 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11741859)

I bought this exact same TV, (your Vizio) two weeks ago after my little one accidentally put his plastic Minecraft sword through my 55 inch Samsung plasma. Got mine for 570 at Best Buy on super sale.

Suck it bitches. Lol it's a beautiful ****ing TV. Very happy with playing my ps4 on that big bastard.

ThaVirus 09-24-2015 09:30 AM

I see you got a new TV, but did you ever find out what the issue was with the Samsung? My friend is having the same issue with her Samsung.

Hammock Parties 09-24-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 11751945)
I see you got a new TV, but did you ever find out what the issue was with the Samsung? My friend is having the same issue with her Samsung.

Out of sight out of mind.

The Franchise 09-24-2015 09:54 AM

Did you know Home Depot sells TVs?

notorious 09-24-2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 11752008)
Did you know Home Depot sells TVs?

No kidding.

I wonder if I can expense it since it's from a hardware store..........

ToxSocks 09-25-2015 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11742183)

HDMI + Panasonic = Win. Turn on the T.V and the Surround sound system turns on automatically. Turn on the Playstation and both the T.V and Surround sound turn on automatically.

aturnis 09-26-2015 01:18 AM

I had the same problem with my first Samsung. Bought it refurbished, but online they said it was a recall, so they paid to have someone come to my house and put a new board in it.

I'd check to see if it's a common enough issue to have been recalled.

aturnis 09-26-2015 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11740973)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's what I did after my son smashed my Samsung with a toy when he was 2. Worst decision I've ever made. Just out of warranty, it developed three vertical discolored lines on the left side of the screen. **** VIZIO.

Actually, **** ANY TV from Walmart. They have lower quality sets built specifically for them so that they can have the lowest price. Same model number etc, but not the same TV. **** Walmart.

aturnis 09-26-2015 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs (Post 11741498)
Swear to god, the guy who just picked up my old 65" fit it in his mid-size sedan. LMAO

I have no idea how he drove it. The thing was wedged in the front seat through the back, over the seats.

How much you get for it?

aturnis 09-26-2015 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11741815)
Downsized yes downgraded I dont think so. Samsung is maybe the worst support of any electronics in the business. There TVs have all kinds of problems and complaints as long as King Kong's arms. They never answered or did anything about there faulty plasma panels in the past. They would heat up and vertical dead pixels would start and multiply till the picture was unwatchable. All kinds of class action suits out there but being a Korean Company they seem to not care that the product was shitty. Visio on the other hand has some of the best support out there and there LCD panels are first rate along with picture.

Back when I got mine, they had the lowest failure rate and highest customer service satisfaction of all television companies. Maybe that's changed?

aturnis 09-26-2015 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11742040)
If you're going 4k, go for the Sony. It's amazing.

I hated Sony tru motion. Made everything look so fake and also a lot of motions were jumpy. Is tru motion still a thing for them?

Miles 09-26-2015 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 11755427)
I hated Sony tru motion. Made everything look so fake and also a lot of motions were jumpy. Is tru motion still a thing for them?

The processing to try and help with motion blur has been around for almost as long as LCD TVs since that is one of the weaknesses of the tech. I always turn it off and things look normal vs. awful when its on.

However, some of the latest TVs seem to finally have the processing power to make it work where it doesn't make everything look artificial. Current Sony and Samsung flagships can do it but honestly I never noticed the blur with smaller LCD TVs.

DaveNull 09-26-2015 07:59 AM

This thread makes me happy that I got one of the last plasmas last year.

notorious 09-26-2015 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 11755544)
This thread makes me happy that I got one of the last plasmas last year.

Sigh.

We have Panasonic plasmas in every room, but I know the clock is ticking.

I hope OLED tech becomes reasonable soon, or Panasonic figures out that they can completely control a segment of the market and build plasmas again.

Maybe Plasmas are like records and tube amps. It's all in our heads.

Miles 09-26-2015 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11755565)
Sigh.

We have Panasonic plasmas in every room, but I know the clock is ticking.

I hope OLED tech becomes reasonable soon, or Panasonic figures out that they can completely control a segment of the market and build plasmas again.

Maybe Plasmas are like records and tube amps. It's all in our heads.

Plasma is very dead but it still takes an upper end LCD to beat one of the Panasonics (recently replaced my Panasonic in living room). Seems like OLED is still a year or two off from being somewhat reasonable in cost but should be pretty great.

DaveNull 09-26-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 11755639)
Plasma is very dead but it still takes an upper end LCD to beat one of the Panasonics (recently replaced my Panasonic in living room). Seems like OLED is still a year or two off from being somewhat reasonable in cost but should be pretty great.

Agreed. The best TV to buy right now is none at all.

mdchiefsfan 09-27-2015 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 11755423)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's what I did after my son smashed my Samsung with a toy when he was 2. Worst decision I've ever made. Just out of warranty, it developed three vertical discolored lines on the left side of the screen. **** VIZIO.

Actually, **** ANY TV from Walmart. They have lower quality sets built specifically for them so that they can have the lowest price. Same model number etc, but not the same TV. **** Walmart.

:spock: I call BS. I think you had an unfortunate situation that doesn't reflect on Visio what-so-ever. I've had my 32" Vizio in my bedroom for 11 years, still works great. I was so happy with it I bought a 55" 3D M-series Vizio and get nothing but compliments on it. I am quite satisfied with Vizio. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

aturnis 09-27-2015 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 11756768)
:Spock: I call BS. I think you had an unfortunate situation that doesn't reflect on Visio what-so-ever. I've had my 32" Vizio in my bedroom for 11 years, still works great. I was so happy with it I bought a 55" 3D M-series Vizio and get nothing but compliments on it. I am quite satisfied with Vizio. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I will say, stories similar to mine run rampant in the internet.

mdchiefsfan 09-27-2015 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 11756779)
I will say, stories similar to mine run rampant in the internet.

:shrug: guess I'm the lucky one

SAUTO 09-27-2015 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 11752845)
No kidding.

I wonder if I can expense it since it's from a hardware store..........

You don't have an office? Every office needs a tv

notorious 09-27-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 11756879)
You don't have an office? Every office needs a tv

I can put one in my car hauler.

For 5 minutes.

I will then come to the reality that a 75" TV in a car hauler is not a good idea, and buy it from my company for $1.

Sometimes you just have to take a loss for bad decisions. :shrug:

Perineum Ripper 09-28-2015 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 11756870)
:shrug: guess I'm the lucky one

Maybe I an too..I have a 32" Vizio that I bought 8 almost 9 years ago that works perfectly..has made a move across the country in the back of a car and still works great..bought a 47" about 5 years ago and it works great..never has trouble with either one

I will be buying a 60" Vizio for Christmas to myself

srvy 09-28-2015 01:17 PM

Yep and his Visio makes a special brand of suck just for Walmart with same model # as those sold elsewhere is bull crap also.

At onetime Westinghouse and Sharp made the majority of panels for all TVs. The only Plasma that was worth buying for a long time was Pioneer Kuro. Then Pioneer decided to stop making TV's altogether people hold onto those set like gold. I believe it was Panasonic that bought the patent to the Kuro tech and they became very popular till they shut it down. I suppose people dont want plasma because the weight and heat that comes off them plus energy hogs. They still have the best quality picture when calibrated properly. Hell the old Mits dlp sets when calibrated can blow lcd out of the water if your sitting in the sweet spot. I think you can still find Plasma but under names like Magnavox, Westinghouse etc. The big names have moved on.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2015 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 11755427)

Every manufacturer has their version, which for some reason, is the default.

I always turn it off.

DaneMcCloud 09-29-2015 07:58 PM

We have a 48" Vizio LCD in our playroom and it's essentially been on eight hours a day since 2008 without any issues.

I've had a 42" LED in my studio since and a 37" in my wife's office since 2012 and again, no issues.

I'd have no problem buying additional Vizio TV's, especially from Costco, because they double the warranty.

Pablo 09-29-2015 08:37 PM

Bought a 60" Vizio for my man cave. Love it. Games look great and so do sports. 850 or so with the mounting bracket I believe.