ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NFL considering player ejections for dangerous hits (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306763)

thabear04 03-23-2017 06:42 AM

NFL considering player ejections for dangerous hits

The NFL Competition Committee will have a busy agenda next week when it meets in Phoenix for the Annual League Meeting, according to NFL vice president Troy Vincent. One provision the group is exploring in particular could have a profound impact on games this coming year.

The Committee is also exploring ways — including considering immediate ejections or suspensions — to take dangerous hits out of our game

We'll communicate this to our coaches and players with video examples of flagrant hits that may result in ejection or suspension

The development comes on the heels of last year's provision, which implemented an automatic ejection system for players who committed two personal fouls in the same game. It mirrors the controversial, if effective rule that granted NCAA officials similar power. The NCAA agreed at the beginning of the month to uphold their version of the targeting rule for the 2017 season.

"The change we have witnessed in player behavior has been significantly positive," NCAA rules committee chair Bob Nielson said in a release. "The adjustment made last year to allow the replay official to examine all aspects of the targeting rule was a positive change."

Other items for discussion include the development of an "educational training video for players to show clear examples of appropriate and inappropriate celebrations." Referees battled criticism this past season for what critics called an uneven interpretation of what celebrations constitute taunting and which were excessive.

Buehler445 03-23-2017 06:54 AM

The idea has been tossed out here before that if someone goes out on a flagged hit, that the offending player needs to sit the same time.

Dartgod 03-23-2017 06:56 AM

I wonder how the refs will determine what is dangerous?

Laying a fingernail on Tom Brady = Dangerous

Blasting Alex Smith's head into the turf = Not Dangerous

notorious 03-23-2017 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 12794221)

Dayze 03-23-2017 07:20 AM

yay, more subjectivity.

that's been working swimmingly on holding and DPI calls.

Titty Meat 03-23-2017 07:38 AM

They do this in college football and honestly it's a disaster.

Dayze 03-23-2017 07:52 AM

I'm sure the definition of "Dangerous" will be crystal clear.

chiefzilla1501 03-23-2017 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballBillay (Post 12794241)
They do this in college football and honestly it's a disaster.

I usually hate subjective officiating. But the biggest disaster is how many games and seasons are influenced by players getting knocked out of games or seasons. The nfl is getting uncomfortable to watch. I don't want a team to win the Super Bowl because they were lucky enough to keep a qb healthy. And a 15 yard penalty means nothing if the offense loses a star player to a concussion, while the defensive player stays in the game.

Targeting rules will be uncomfortable. But they're needed more than ever. Buehlers idea makes the most sense. If you knock a player out with an illegal hit, you should sit out an equal number of snaps.

KC_Lee 03-23-2017 07:58 AM

I say implement a penalty box for the NFL. Dangerous hit, in the box for X number of plays for that unit, either D or O. Other team gets a "power play" (11 vs. 10) until they either score or the number of plays a penalized player is out.

Rain Man 03-23-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 12794255)
I'm sure the definition of "Dangerous" will be crystal clear.

Dangerous (NFL adjective):

"Of potential harm to Tom Brady or someone he cares about."

"Any contact that may impact near-term television ratings and jersey sales."

siberian khatru 03-23-2017 08:07 AM

The league can't even agree on what a catch is anymore.

Easy 6 03-23-2017 08:11 AM

The march towards irrelevance continues

Eleazar 03-23-2017 08:19 AM

If they did that (hopefully they won't), it would need to be reviewed first to make sure that there really was contact to the head.

There have been way too many flags thrown for a receiver who was hit helmet to helmet, and then the replay afterward shows it was shoulder to shoulder, or the contact between helmets was incidental to the actual collision. And there are more situations where the contact was unavoidable.

Since the NFL just desires to slow down games and create more situations where nobody knows what the rules are, I'm certain this will go over like a fart in a spacesuit

Rooster 03-23-2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 12794262)
I say implement a penalty box for the NFL. Dangerous hit, in the box for X number of plays for that unit, either D or O. Other team gets a "power play" (11 vs. 10) until they either score or the number of plays a penalized player is out.

That would be insane and very entertaining.

MahiMike 03-23-2017 08:37 AM

About damn time. Always thought the yellow card/red card deal in soccer was a good idea. Fines won't stop these guys from killing each other but if a star player has to sit, the whole team will suffer.

That'll stop it right quick.

chiefzilla1501 03-23-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 12794276)
The march towards irrelevance continues

That march will happen a hell of a lot faster so long as we have this massive player safety problem. Keeping players on the field is one of the most important things the nfl needs to solve.

Rasputin 03-23-2017 08:44 AM

This is going be the new NFL

<iframe width="871" height="531" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A4QawGhH-RQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DRU 03-23-2017 08:49 AM

They need to just skip the evolution and jump straight to taking the pads off and putting flags in their pockets. Either that or build some robots to take the role of the players. Talk about Bot Wars!!

Frazod 03-23-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

The mere thought of laying a fingernail on Tom Terrific should draw a fine!

chiefzilla1501 03-23-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12794305)
This is going be the new NFL

<iframe width="871" height="531" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/A4QawGhH-RQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe I'm alone in this, but it's gotten to the point where Hard Hits highlights make me cringe. That Vontaze Burfict hit on Antonio Brown two years ago for me was really difficult to watch.

And I could not stand watching the Chiefs lose player after player to concussion in the Colts playoff game a few years ago.

I don't know why the NFL would get any worse if players would just form tackle instead of carelessly launching themselves into each other.

Sorce 03-23-2017 09:00 AM

I have always hated the college rule, I feel like the play should be reviewed for intent. There is a difference between a helmet to helmet hit because the Receiver falls and a player launching themselves into another player.

Just like in basketball officials go to the monitor to determine if a foul is flagrant I think they should do the same here. I don't think every penalty should be an ejection.

Bowser 03-23-2017 09:04 AM

If this happened in 2017, Sheldon Brown would likely get suspended for a week and some ridiculous fine. That said, this is a completely legal hit and tackle -

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qW5iJx5LVyw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater 03-23-2017 11:25 AM

None of these rules will apply to the Broncos.

Buehler445 03-23-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 12794284)
If they did that (hopefully they won't), it would need to be reviewed first to make sure that there really was contact to the head.

There have been way too many flags thrown for a receiver who was hit helmet to helmet, and then the replay afterward shows it was shoulder to shoulder, or the contact between helmets was incidental to the actual collision. And there are more situations where the contact was unavoidable.

Since the NFL just desires to slow down games and create more situations where nobody knows what the rules are, I'm certain this will go over like a fart in a spacesuit

100% right.

ClevelandBronco 03-23-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12794484)
None of these rules will apply to the Broncos.

I imagine they consider it an honor to be one of the three AFC teams that have to win regularly for the overall good of the league.

BryanBusby 03-23-2017 12:10 PM

JUST PUT THEM IN SKIRTS AMIRITE

Pasta Little Brioni 03-23-2017 12:17 PM

Von wouldn't make it through a game

ThaVirus 03-23-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 12794261)
I usually hate subjective officiating. But the biggest disaster is how many games and seasons are influenced by players getting knocked out of games or seasons. The nfl is getting uncomfortable to watch. I don't want a team to win the Super Bowl because they were lucky enough to keep a qb healthy. And a 15 yard penalty means nothing if the offense loses a star player to a concussion, while the defensive player stays in the game.

Targeting rules will be uncomfortable. But they're needed more than ever. Buehlers idea makes the most sense. If you knock a player out with an illegal hit, you should sit out an equal number of snaps.

Teams could still send in hitmen

KC_Lee 03-23-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12794702)

So hockey methodologies with goons becoming part of the NFL.

TribalElder 03-23-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

This

Like when the refs took Charles out the Indy game for concussion protocol

Inconsistent interpretation is just another way for officials to influence game outcomes

Bugeater 03-23-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12794702)

Remember BountyGate? I don't think an organized conspiracy by NFL teams to purposely injure players would go over very well with the league.

Well, unless it's the Broncos, and then it will be fine.

TribalElder 03-23-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12794718)
Remember BountyGate? I don't think an organized conspiracy by NFL teams to purposely injure players would go over very well with the league.

Well, unless it's the Broncos, and then it will be fine.

They still won the super bowl

ROFL

eDave 03-23-2017 02:05 PM

This really just opens up a new avenue for Ref ****ary.

Dartgod 03-23-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 12794718)

Well, unless it's the Broncos, and then it will be encouraged.

FYP

Hammock Parties 03-23-2017 02:16 PM

The NFL should have left the game alone. It was perfect in the mid 90s after they added the 2 point conversion.

vailpass 03-23-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 12794298)
About damn time. Always thought the yellow card/red card deal in soccer was a good idea. Fines won't stop these guys from killing each other but if a star player has to sit, the whole team will suffer.

That'll stop it right quick.

ghey

Nickhead 03-23-2017 02:46 PM

i know part of it is either self reporting or physicians on the sideline, but is it possible for the concussions to be caused by the newer helmets? just curious. :D

Pasta Little Brioni 03-23-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASS11 (Post 12794744)
The NFL should have left the game alone. It was perfect in the mid 90s after they added the 2 point conversion.

It's going downhill the rate of college hoops and that's really ****ing sad.

Hammock Parties 03-23-2017 02:54 PM

I wonder if they would have changed the rules if the Pats, Bucs and Ravens hadn't won three Super Bowls so close to each other.

Someone in the league hated the fact that defensive teams were winning SBs.

Rasputin 03-23-2017 03:26 PM

I could be wrong but it seems to me that an influx of injuries are a result of less two a day practices and less full contact practice.

The pussification of the NFL continues.

srvy 03-23-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

This

Just more ref interpretation and injecting themselves in to game.

Chief Roundup 03-23-2017 06:37 PM

The article that I read stated that it would be for illegal hits not dangerous hits. It would be much easier to determine those. Playing the game is dangerous period.

Chief Roundup 03-23-2017 06:41 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-illegal-hits/

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...bans-hits-rare

Rasputin 03-23-2017 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 12794534)
JUST PUT THEM IN SKIRTS AMIRITE

Yeah put them in skirts and maybe they will hit like this?

<iframe width="871" height="531" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XUI5NdGVVlw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pasta Little Brioni 03-24-2017 01:17 AM

The sport will be unwatchable in 5years. Watch any classic game and last year's bullshit will make you cry. PATHETIC level of play.

MahiMike 03-24-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12795643)
Yeah put them in skirts and maybe they will hit like this?

<iframe width="871" height="531" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XUI5NdGVVlw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So funny how serious they actually took that league. Wonder what those coaches are doing now? strip club managers?

chiefzilla1501 03-24-2017 12:56 PM

Despite what people think, the nfl would be extremely watchable if players form tackled instead of launching into each other like missiles.

The game is unwatchable because they built the game for fantasy football owners, they don't allow players to have personality, and because we have to watch terrible backups every week because starters can't stay healthy. If reducing the hitting kept good starters on the field, that's a plus. Not a minus. That being said, I am sure Goodells enforcement of this rule will be a disaster.

mikeyis4dcats. 03-24-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12794220)
The idea has been tossed out here before that if someone goes out on a flagged hit, that the offending player needs to sit the same time.

you'd have scrubs faking a brain injury all the time..

Nickhead 03-29-2017 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 12795675)
The sport will be unwatchable in 5years. Watch any classic game and last year's bullshit will make you cry. PATHETIC level of play.

two years ago i told myself if things don't get better, i'll be done with it in five years. of course it's easier for me to break my addiction given i get no game highlights or commentary on the tv. i have to hunt for it instead of being force fed the shows. :D