ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Nirvana Live at Reading... NEVER FORGET GREATNESS (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282450)

Easy 6 03-20-2014 08:26 PM

Nirvana Live at Reading... NEVER FORGET GREATNESS

These guys, what can I say, they were just one step ahead of the curve... **** musicianship gripes and bullshit about "oh he was no Satriani", give me great SONGS, and these guys sure as hell did.

If you have an hour or two, just watch away and take a time machine trip back to when ROCK ruled and wasn't some afterthought... grimey, melodic, subversive, pick a cool word.

Been blasting this for a while now tonight and just HAD to share...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aJGl0FQK9Ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SAUTO 03-20-2014 08:34 PM

Sorry but I hated nirvana, pearl jam too.

Add in Bob Dylan
Posted via Mobile Device

KCUnited 03-20-2014 08:38 PM

That was a blast.

Easy 6 03-20-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10505355)
Sorry but I hated nirvana, pearl jam too.

Add in Bob Dylan
Posted via Mobile Device

Ok fine, find a distant cave miles away from your home, go there, and kindly shoot yourself in the face so far deep in that cave that no one will ever find you... fair enough?

So alright... what music from that era DID you like? bear in mind that your every answer from now on will be met with my extreme disapproval LMAO

kcxiv 03-20-2014 08:44 PM

Love Nirvana, but wasnt big on Pearl Jam at all.

What i like about this video is it sounds almost identical to the actual tape/disc based version of the song, some bands dont sound the same when you hear them live.

My Fav songs from Nirvana is Scentless Apprentice and Dive. I like many more, but them 2 songs get the most play. I still think their unplugged album is one of the best albums ever in existence.

Easy 6 03-20-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 10505378)
Love Nirvana, but wasnt big on Pearl Jam at all.

What i like about this video is it sounds almost identical to the actual tape/disc based version of the song, some bands dont sound the same when you hear them live.

My Fav songs from Nirvana is Scentless Apprentice and Dive. I like many more, but them 2 songs get the most play. I still think their unplugged album is one of the best albums ever in existence.

I love both bands but the distinctions are clear...

Nirvana was out of tune, brutal and carefree, a tornado not even in control of itself.

Pearl Jam was all bluesy loving soul, caring natured and accessible, anyone can be a PJ fan because they love all people... they just simply weren't as angry and subversive as Nirvana, two very different dynamics going on there.

What warms my heart is that Eddie and Kurt became fast friends after Eddie appealed for unity in the press, swearing no more "us vs. them" mentality... gah, I long for those days of rock brilliance again.

BigRedChief 03-20-2014 09:12 PM

The Sheriff reopened his suicide case today. Why I didn't catch? They have some new facts or reason to think it wasn't suicide?

Easy 6 03-20-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10505420)
The Sheriff reopened his suicide case today. Why I didn't catch? They have some new facts or reason to think it wasn't suicide?

I read that little bit on yahoo today as well, they have better quality photographs that haven't even been DEVELOPED since that day?

It sounds like some real Mickey Mouse, we don't really care what happened here BS... yeah he probably did off himself, but jeeez... they waited THIS long to go ahead and develop the higher quality photos?

Seems like they just made the call without even bothering to look into it further with better evidence.

headsnap 03-20-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10505394)
I love both bands but the distinctions are clear...

Nirvana was out of tune, brutal and carefree, a tornado not even in control of itself.

Pearl Jam was all bluesy loving soul, caring natured and accessible, anyone can be a PJ fan because they love all people... they just simply weren't as angry and subversive as Nirvana, two very different dynamics going on there.

What warms my heart is that Eddie and Kurt became fast friends after Eddie appealed for unity in the press, swearing no more "us vs. them" mentality... gah, I long for those days of rock brilliance again.

Gush much?

Nirvana rocked Pearl Jam still sucks... Today's music it the same as yesterday's, you are just older...

kcxiv 03-20-2014 09:54 PM

I didnt hate pearl jam, they had some ok songs, but i didnt have any of their tapes or cd's or anything back in the early 90's. I did have Nirvana's though. I like the raw sound they have, kind of like i love Korns first album for that. I dont like when studio's clean it up to much and add shit to it. This video is perfect, their live performance sounds really ****ing good.

Baby Lee 03-20-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsnap (Post 10505445)
Gush much?

Nirvana rocked Pearl Jam still sucks... Today's music it the same as yesterday's, you are just older...

There is plenty of catchy music out there, but autotune, compression of the master, and compression of the digital files [MP3s] pretty much damn much of today's music to 2nd class status.

Music today isn't something you sit alone and let utterly envelop you, it's what you play on your wireless device as you jog or drive or do your laundry.

Easy 6 03-20-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsnap (Post 10505445)
Gush much?

Its not the same at all, not even sure how you can say that... rock used to get covered by the "lamestream media" gahhh it hurts to use that phrase but its true.

Real rock doesnt get any coverage or hype any more outside of local circles... Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, MAYBE an occasional appearance from the Foo Fighters, that's really just about it.

No big label is trying to break the next great rock band, or so it seems... they may bring in the RHCP or Metallica once in a while, but outside of that rock is DEAD to the rest of the world.

The next Nirvana or GNR is out there somewhere, but todays pussy scene doesn't want to hear it IMO.

blake5676 03-20-2014 10:15 PM

God...watching that was fun. Hit mute on the basketball games and cranked that out for a solid hour and a half. Excellent post :thumb:

Omaha 03-21-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10505497)
Its not the same at all, not even sure how you can say that... rock used to get covered by the "lamestream media" gahhh it hurts to use that phrase but its true.

Real rock doesnt get any coverage or hype any more outside of local circles... Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, MAYBE an occasional appearance from the Foo Fighters, that's really just about it.

No big label is trying to break the next great rock band, or so it seems... they may bring in the RHCP or Metallica once in a while, but outside of that rock is DEAD to the rest of the world.

The next Nirvana or GNR is out there somewhere, but todays pussy scene doesn't want to hear it IMO.

This is a load of fail. You're out of touch and listening to the wrong shit.

There are many great new bands making incredible music.

NewChief 03-21-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10505497)

Music right now is amazing, and we have better access to a wider variety of music than ever before. Back in the day, you were forced to guzzle whatever the mainstream media and radio poured down your throats (Payola anyone?). Now there are, literally, thousands of quality music blogs out there that serve up new music in whatever genre you love.

No rock music as some kind of shared cultural phenomenon where everyone was cranking up "Slowride" on their jambox while climbing to the top of the water tower to smoke a doob? Not so much, but there's tons of great music out there.

That being said, I'm not going to begrudge you your nostalgia, I just think there's lots of good music coming out.

Check out The War on Drugs new album, "Lost in the Dream."

Rausch 03-21-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10506033)
There are many great new bands making incredible music.

Not really...

Omaha 03-21-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10506195)
Not really...

You are so wrong.

Rausch 03-21-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10506198)
You are so wrong.

I can't think of 1 band in the last 10 years I'd put on par with Nirvana or PJ...

Omaha 03-21-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10506225)
I can't think of 1 band in the last 10 years I'd put on par with Nirvana or PJ...

That's a pretty tall order if they are your favorites, but I think bands like Arctic Monkeys, Gaslight Anthem, Kings of Leon, The Kooks, Raconteurs, Portugal the Man, Mona, Foals, Grouplove, and several others have a pretty good start at it.

jspchief 03-21-2014 11:51 AM

Always felt Nirvana was overrated due to Cobain's early demise. Great band, just not the icon that people want to make them out to be.

kcxiv 03-21-2014 12:00 PM

People keep saying there is great music out there and post links to their songs and I'm sitting there shaking my head like nope this sure isn't it lol. There may be a song here and there that I lime but that's about it.

NewChief 03-21-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 10506275)
That's a pretty tall order if they are your favorites, but I think bands like Arctic Monkeys, Gaslight Anthem, Kings of Leon, The Kooks, Raconteurs, Portugal the Man, Mona, Foals, Grouplove, and several others have a pretty good start at it.

I seriously think a lot of people's musical preference is nostalgia and context. At a certain point, their artistic aesthetic becomes sealed, and they're no longer really open to different flavors of their particular preference. That being said, they might completely discover a different type of music (such as classical) and go about establishing new context.

alpha_omega 03-21-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10506044)

No rock music as some kind of shared cultural phenomenon where everyone was cranking up "Slowride" on their jambox while climbing to the top of the water tower to smoke a doob? ...

It'd be a lot cooler if it was!

Baby Lee 03-21-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10506225)

At all, or purely RnR?

Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, White Stripes, and Alabama Shakes are all very different, but I'd put their quality on par.

Baby Lee 03-21-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10506355)
I seriously think a lot of people's musical preference is nostalgia and context. At a certain point, their artistic aesthetic becomes sealed, and they're no longer really open to different flavors of their particular preference. That being said, they might completely discover a different type of music (such as classical) and go about establishing new context.

I was born in '71, and didn't really get into popular music until college [all I had was a clock radio until my senior year of HS], and I agree with the old fogeys' opinion that '67-'79 is the unequivocal apex of American RnR.

The year the GnR, Nirvana and PJ were all on the charts, '91 or '92, might beat a single year in that era, but that's it.

Baby Lee 03-21-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 10506356)
It'd be a lot cooler if it was!

All right, all right, all right.

patteeu 03-21-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10506333)
Always felt Nirvana was overrated due to Cobain's early demise. Great band, just not the icon that people want to make them out to be.

Tragic death at a young age never hurts, but they were already pretty iconic before he died.

patteeu 03-21-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

I think there's a lot of truth to that, but I think it's only half of the story. I think a lot of people just don't know how to find good new music these days or they're too busy to put any effort into it.

bowener 03-21-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10505329)
These guys, what can I say, they were just one step ahead of the curve... **** musicianship gripes and bullshit about "oh he was no Satriani", give me great SONGS, and these guys sure as hell did.

If you have an hour or two, just watch away and take a time machine trip back to when ROCK ruled and wasn't some afterthought... grimey, melodic, subversive, pick a cool word.

Been blasting this for a while now tonight and just HAD to share...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aJGl0FQK9Ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This plus chromecast is my next 97 minutes. Thanks!

PunkinDrublic 03-21-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

There's a lot of truth to that. When you're growing up and you kind of figure out the type of music speaks to you the most, there's always people in the older generation that shit on the bands you love. There's a lot of new music kids are into these days that I can't for the life of me get into but I try not to judge peoples tastes.

The only thing that's aggrevating too me is that way too many artists are described as musical geniuses. So many of these white liberal music critics are afraid of being called racist, so they'll gush over Kanye Wests albums and call him a genius.

Baby Lee 03-21-2014 05:49 PM

I mentioned it in the Oscars thread when it aired, but music lovers owe it to themselves to watch '20 Feet From Stardom.'

The main story is about backup singers, but it also really opens your eyes about all the small touches that makes good music great, even immortal.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tWyUJcA8Zfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W13VzSJteP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CoMoChief 03-21-2014 06:22 PM

Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Live
STP

Oh the good ol days...

NewChief 03-21-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 10507364)
There's a lot of truth to that. When you're growing up and you kind of figure out the type of music speaks to you the most, there's always people in the older generation that shit on the bands you love. There's a lot of new music kids are into these days that I can't for the life of me get into but I try not to judge peoples tastes.

The only thing that's aggrevating too me is that way too many artists are described as musical geniuses. So many of these white liberal music critics are afraid of being called racist, so they'll gush over Kanye Wests albums and call him a genius.

I'm into music enough that I actually set a challenge for myself. I had TONS of people whose musical opinions I respected (Reaper16 on this board being one) who loved metal. I've never been able to get into metal at all, even though I love a lot of different genres. I decided that there must be some reason that metal is good and appealing. So... I set about listening to metal a few years back (I actually started a thread explaining what qualities I appreciated in music and looking for metal albums that would fit that bill) in order to discover what people liked about it. It took a while, but I eventually developed a taste for metal.

The moral (I guess): is that passing value judgements on music (this decade is better than this decade or music stopped being good at this point) is sort of silly and a non starter.

Since then, my musical viewing has completely changed. I almost always listen to stuff and ask myself, "Why do people like this? What's appealing about it?" It's sort of a dispassionate, academic way of viewing music, but it's really increased the scope of music I find enjoyable. Admittedly, there are times when I'm just throwing my hands in the air screaming, "STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM NOW WE HERE," but a lot of the time, even with the poppiest bullshit, I'm just interested in figuring out why it has appeal.

rocknrolla 03-21-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 10507553)
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Live
STP

Oh the good ol days...

FYP to my taste. Yes, sad but true. The good old days.
Smashing pumpkins, Pearl Jam & Red Hot Chilies at memorial hall in 91' was one of the best. Live & STP are both great live bands. CoMo you have good taste in music!

Bowser 03-21-2014 07:53 PM

Kurt Cobain wasn't even the best musician in his own band.

KcMizzou 03-21-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10507750)

In a way it hurts to hear that. I love Nirvana.

But Dave Grohl is ****ing amazing.

Two very different bands. You can't beat Nirvana for the pure rage/angst. Foo Fighters are more refined, mature... but still basically carrying to torch for "rock".

rocknrolla 03-21-2014 08:12 PM

To me Dave Grohl is the one person who has kept rock and roll alive I.E Sound City. Being a huge PJ fan, Dave is the one that realizes how music should be made. He is rock and roll's savoir. All tape!

KcMizzou 03-21-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknrolla (Post 10507822)
To me Dave Grohl is the one person who has kept rock and roll alive I.E Sound City. Being a huge PJ fan, Dave is the one that realizes how music should be made. He is rock and roll's savoir. All tape!

Every fan of rock should see that documentary.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HQoOfiLz1G4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rocknrolla 03-21-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10507862)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HQoOfiLz1G4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rock and Roll say's Thank you Dave!

Baby Lee 03-21-2014 09:26 PM

Decidedly not RnR, but I submit that every person who insists that the digital age hasn't changed things, or has made them better, should be required to sit done with a quality sound system and listen to;

Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat, and
Jazz at the Pawnshop

and get back to us.

dynamic range, instrument placement, ambiance, incidentals, that slight slide of brushes across snare, the depth of Warnes' vocals, the tinkle of dinnerware at 'the pawnshop' . . . so much more immersive, and demonstrative of what attention to sonic detail can offer. You can close your eyes and envision exactly where the sax is sitting, and the bass, and the piano, etc.

Unless you have the most boss PC based system ever, this will be a pale imitation, but a taste of what quality mastering can do.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/B-Blq4zCEO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's what I loved about Otis Redding, he really put effort into the phrasing, soundstage and dynamics of his singing, listen to how he attacks the start of each phrase, it's like he's yelping in pain at what he has to say, then fades into despair. that and the strong horns set the entire mood of the song.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Jo-klvlKdjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Gigglepants 03-22-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10506044)
Music right now is amazing, and we have better access to a wider variety of music than ever before. Back in the day, you were forced to guzzle whatever the mainstream media and radio poured down your throats (Payola anyone?). Now there are, literally, thousands of quality music blogs out there that serve up new music in whatever genre you love.

No rock music as some kind of shared cultural phenomenon where everyone was cranking up "Slowride" on their jambox while climbing to the top of the water tower to smoke a doob? Not so much, but there's tons of great music out there.

That being said, I'm not going to begrudge you your nostalgia, I just think there's lots of good music coming out.

Check out The War on Drugs new album, "Lost in the Dream."

Can't remember where I came across this blog, probably here, but if anyone wants an endless supply of new music check this guy out. This is a 25 minute synopsis of his time at SXSW. I hadn't heard of more than a few of these people before this video...definitely going to check out Future Islands.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jrtUDqLgfzU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d5gUsnJX2oA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Easy 6 03-22-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

That's true, and any knowledgeable fan will agree, but it wasn't his musicianship that made him great... it was his songwriting ability and authenticity that made him great.

Easy 6 03-22-2014 04:45 PM

For those of you who didn't watch the concert, here is a song I'd never heard of before watching and its one of their very best IMO...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/44IYzXRhF_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NewChief 03-22-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10508881)
For those of you who didn't watch the concert, here is a song I'd never heard of before watching and its one of their very best IMO...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/44IYzXRhF_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's a cover of a punk band from the 80s called Fang:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yiHd5AAZnaA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pablo 03-22-2014 06:08 PM

Nirvana still appealed to me a decade ago when I was a teen. Their songs get a quick flip any time they come on the radio. Still, they were undeniably huge and important to rock music.

And their influence in quite a bit of today's music is a big deal. Grohl is the man. Honestly can't give a shit about Cobain when Dave is still kicking and making good music.

Easy 6 03-22-2014 06:12 PM

Ahhh, thank you for the enlightenment NC, solid knowledge you have.

To touch on points you made earlier in this thread... first, I will be the first to admit that I don't exactly go out seeking great new music anymore, in the Myspace heyday I did (gosh, kinda miss it, found ALL kinds of great bands on MS)... but these days I'm pretty much relegated to local radio, my laziness I must admit.

If you have internet you can still find music to fit a particular taste out there... my point, and I didn't make it clear, is that the mainstream music media has forgotten rock, there doesn't seem to be an appetite from them for it like there used to be from them... "meh **** it, we're still making plenty of money off the The Black Keys so why bother with anything else?

And using TBK as an example doesn't make my tastes dated or narrow IMO, they're just OK in my book... not exactly what I consider rock, that's not to say that MY definition of rock is the be all end all, but I'd bet that I'm not alone in thinking that much of modern rock has been corporatized and emasculated.

penguinz 03-22-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknrolla (Post 10507706)
FYP to my taste. Yes, sad but true. The good old days.
Smashing pumpkins, Pearl Jam & Red Hot Chilies at memorial hall in 91' was one of the best.

first concert I ever went to.

Pitt Gorilla 03-22-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 10507862)

Awesome documentary.

BigRedChief 03-23-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10509279)
first concert I ever went to.

For me it was the NY Dolls and Lynard Skynard at what is now a christian bowling alley in Springfield.

patteeu 03-23-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10509917)
For me it was the NY Dolls and Lynard Skynard at what is now a christian bowling alley in Springfield.

That seems like a weird combo. Was the crowd receptive to both or were they there for the main act and not too jazzed about the openers?

Easy 6 03-23-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10509917)

That sounds like an awesome show, as pat says those two couldn't be much more different, what a cool mix of styles for one show.

Omaha 03-24-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

So? Being technically proficient wasn't really his thing. Songwriting was his thing.

NewChief 03-26-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Gigglepants (Post 10508597)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d5gUsnJX2oA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finally getting around to listening to their new album (on vacation without the amount of sitdown and listen without interruption time as normal). It's pretty great. Going to probably be too electric and produced for fans of Nirvana, but it's a fun listen. Will be adding it to my rotation.

And this is a pretty great and famous Future Islands moment. Holy shit... talk about unglamorously throwing yourself out there but it somehow working...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1Ee4bfu_t3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Omaha 03-27-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10518423)
Finally getting around to listening to their new album (on vacation without the amount of sitdown and listen without interruption time as normal). It's pretty great. Going to probably be too electric and produced for fans of Nirvana, but it's a fun listen. Will be adding it to my rotation.

And this is a pretty great and famous Future Islands moment. Holy shit... talk about unglamorously throwing yourself out there but it somehow working...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1Ee4bfu_t3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like both of the songs posted, but the stupid, spastic dancing and the singer's affinity for belching the lyrics a a bit distracting.