ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   5000 Completions!! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=154881)

Halfcan 12-21-2006 10:05 PM

5000 Completions!!

Is Brett Favre the Best ever??

Bowser 12-21-2006 10:09 PM

Fred Smoot thinks so!

Chiefs Pantalones 12-21-2006 10:11 PM

No.

Believer 12-21-2006 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan
Is Brett Favre the Best ever??

No.

not even close.
Montana, Unitas,Elway,Graham,Starr,Bradshaw,Staubach were more consistant IMO. Favre, while a great QB, was too reckless at times and outside of 1996, always ended the season with a rotten game.
I'd put him in the next tier with Aikman, Brady, and above the gag-club,
Manning, Marino, Fouts, and Moon.

FAX 12-21-2006 10:11 PM

Even a blind pig can throw an acorn 8 million 400 thousand times.

FAX

Halfcan 12-21-2006 10:17 PM

Over 57,000 yards

256 Consecutive games

5000 Completions

413 TD's

3 Reg Season MVP's 1 SB MVP

He gets my vote.

thedude 12-21-2006 10:17 PM

Favre is the man. Top 5 of all time.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 10:17 PM

Another win tonight. Should put him as the winningest QB in history??

DaFace 12-21-2006 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX
Even a blind pig can throw an acorn 8 million 400 thousand times.

FAX

Perhaps, but without fingers, I would think they would have difficulty grasping the acorns in the first place.

Easy 6 12-21-2006 10:19 PM

He's no jay cutler...thats for sure.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 10:21 PM

If Brett was a Chief his whole career-we would have a few SB's to talk about.

Believer 12-21-2006 10:24 PM

Quote:

If Brett was a Chief his whole career-we would have a few SB's to talk about.

what?

Taco John 12-21-2006 10:28 PM

Brett Favre is going to have to get in line behind Montana, Unitas, and Elway for the GOAT designation. I wouldn't even put Brett in the top 5. Certainly, he belongs in the HOF. But he's definitely not deserving of being in the GOAT discussion.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
Brett Favre is going to have to get in line behind Montana, Unitas, and Elway for the GOAT designation. I wouldn't even put Brett in the top 5. Certainly, he belongs in the HOF. But he's definitely not deserving of being in the GOAT discussion.

Elgay in the top 5 are you high. Brett blows his stats away. Montana never had the heart our arm of Favre-he played on a great team.

Marino has to be number 2.

Chiefs Pantalones 12-21-2006 10:39 PM

Quote:

Over 57,000 yards

256 Consecutive games

5000 Completions

413 TD's

3 Reg Season MVP's 1 SB MVP

He gets my vote.

No. Simply because you are Halfcan, not a whole can. The TalkingCan is more impressive than both a half can and a whole can, so that's that.

the Talking Can 12-21-2006 10:39 PM

he can't hold Montana's reconstructed elbow...

the Talking Can 12-21-2006 10:41 PM

Quote:

Elgay in the top 5 are you high. Brett blows his stats away. Montana never had the heart our arm of Favre-he played on a great team.

Montana never had the "heart" of Farve?

please....Montana was a god damned ninja

Believer 12-21-2006 10:49 PM

Quote:

Favre and Marino over Montana and Elway.

you know, this isnt fantasy league we are talking about. its the real game where wins and losses mean something.

let me guess, Manning is #3?

Halfcan 12-21-2006 10:49 PM

I always thought Marino was better than Montana.

Believer 12-21-2006 10:50 PM

Quote:

at what, coming apart in big games?

milkman 12-21-2006 10:53 PM

Halfwit,
How many ints has Favre thrown.

He's second all time, only 6 or 7 behind George Blanda, who played for, like a 100 years.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 10:56 PM

Favre
Marino
Montana
Baugh
Unitas
Graham
Fouts

milkman 12-21-2006 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Believer

Montana had a certain calm and composure in the pocket that very few had.

But he won SBs with teams that were loaded with talent, both offensively and defensively.

Marino never played with teams that came close to matching that talent.

the Talking Can 12-21-2006 10:56 PM

Quote:

you're like Hootie when he's 60...

milkman 12-21-2006 10:57 PM

Quote:

Favre
Marino
Montana
Baugh
Unitas
Graham
Fouts

You, my friend, are a dumbass.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Believer

At throwing for over 60,000 yards and 420 TD's for a team that had average wideouts, crappy defense, and no running game.

If Montana had played for the Fins all those years-nobody would remember him. Put Marino on the 49ers and he would have 70,000 yards and at least 6 SB's.

2112 12-21-2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

I like you, Halfcan..and I dont mean to pile on...but..are you kidding me??

Taco John 12-21-2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

I think that's all anybody needs to know about your perspective in this discussion.

There's no doubt Marino had a great arm.

He was about as mobile as a fire hydrant though, and because of it, his team was forced to use all of their team resources to protect him.

Marino doesn't even approach Montana in the GOAT discussion without addressing him as "Sir."

OnTheWarpath15 12-21-2006 11:00 PM

Top 5, Top 10, doesn't matter.

He's won a SB ring, a SBMVP, and he'll have a bust in Canton.

That pretty much speaks for itself.

Taco John 12-21-2006 11:00 PM

Quote:

If Montana had played for the Fins all those years-nobody would remember him. Put Marino on the 49ers and he would have 70,000 yards and at least 6 SB's.

If Montana played on the Fins all those years, the Dolphins might be known for winning Superbowls, and not for being post-season chokers.

the Talking Can 12-21-2006 11:01 PM

you don't have Elway in the top 7?

Under Dan Fouts?

holy mother

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman
You, my friend, are a dumbass.

So who should not be on that list then??

the Talking Can 12-21-2006 11:01 PM

Quote:

If Montana played on the Fins all those years, the Dolphins might be known for winning Superbowls, and not for being post-season chokers.

fatality

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can
you don't have Elway in the top 7?

Under Dan Fouts?

holy mother

Elgay is not on my top 10. Fouts was twice the passer of Elgay.

Taco John 12-21-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

Favre
Marino
Montana
Baugh
Unitas
Graham
Fouts

ROFL

I get it. You hate Elway and the Broncos and refuse to give him his due.

No skin off my back. It's not like I'm sitting here clueless as to where Elway fits in NFL history.

2112 12-21-2006 11:05 PM

Quote:

At throwing for over 60,000 yards and 420 TD's for a team that had average wideouts, crappy defense, and no running game.

Montana actually was a very mobile QB before he hurt his back in the mid 80's..he was one of the greatests at eluding a rusher that i've ever seen..thats not in the stats though..Montana also had no running game when they won their first superbowl in 82..he had HOF rb bill ring as his feature back..

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:07 PM

Quote:

I think that's all anybody needs to know about your perspective in this discussion.

There's no doubt Marino had a great arm.

He was about as mobile as a fire hydrant though, and because of it, his team was forced to use all of their team resources to protect him.

Marino doesn't even approach Montana in the GOAT discussion without addressing him as "Sir."

So is Manning mobile, was Montana-give me a break. Joe had to pad his stats in KC, or the SB would be all he had. If you are just going by SB wins-put Bradshaw in there. Does Brady get the nod now because of his outstanding postseason??

thedude 12-21-2006 11:08 PM

Favre is/was better than Elway.

The thing about Favre is he combines everything from every great qb. He has the stats to play with Marino, the title to go up against Montana, Elway et al.

The best point made has been the poster who said he will have a bust in canton is all that matters. True dat.

Deberg_1990 12-21-2006 11:09 PM

Quote:

Elgay is not on my top 10. Fouts was twice the passer of Elgay.

I hate Elway as much as the next guy, but he was fantastic in the clutch, was mobile and had a cannon for an arm.

Hes easily top 5. Maybe top 3

milkman 12-21-2006 11:12 PM

Quote:

So who should not be on that list then??

Favre might be in the top 5, but he sure as hell isn't the best.

And Baugh sure as hell isn't top 5.

And as much as I dislike the man, Elway took 3 Donkey teams with even less talent that Marino's Dolphins to the SB.

He didn't win 'em, but he got them there.

Taco John 12-21-2006 11:13 PM

Dan Marino put great stats into the record books. John Elway put mediocre teams into the Superbowl.

That's all I need to know about the Dan/John debate.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:14 PM

If you want to talk about pure talent-how can Slingin Sammy Baugh be off your guys list.

He won Championships, held 11 passing records, plus played Punter and Cornerback. In 1943 led the league in passing, punting and interceptions-a triple crown.

His 51.4 punting average is still a record plus he complete 70 percent of his passes in 45. QBs were not pampered like they are today.

Montana never did that.

DomerNKC 12-21-2006 11:14 PM

Quote:

you are wrong on the heart of Montana. Montana did not have the arm of most of the top 30 qb's of all time, but he had more heart than most of them. With all due respect halfcan, stick to what made you famous...YouTube - Rush 2112

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
I hate Elway as much as the next guy, but he was fantastic in the clutch, was mobile and had a cannon for an arm.

Hes easily top 5. Maybe top 3

And got choked in SB's. 55-10 to San Fran.

Taco John 12-21-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

If you want to talk about pure talent-how can Slingin Sammy Baugh be off your guys list.

He won Championships, held 11 passing records, plus played Punter and Cornerback. In 1943 led the league in passing, punting and interceptions-a triple crown.

His 51.4 punting average is still a record plus he complete 70 percent of his passes in 45. QBs were not pampered like they are today.

Montana never did that.

A quarterback in 1943 would be lucky to make the practice squad in 2006. They drew plays in the dirt back then. They install offenses in the offseason now.

You might as well be comparing a rugby player to a football player. You're practically talking about different sports when you compare the pre-superbowl era players to the post-superbowl era, especially when you start throwing punting records into the mix.

God love 'em for paving the way. But it's a different sport now.

DomerNKC 12-21-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

And got choked in SB's. 55-10 to Mr. Montana.

fyp

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomerNKC
you are wrong on the heart of Montana. Montana did not have the arm of most of the top 30 qb's of all time, but he had more heart than most of them. With all due respect halfcan, stick to what made you famous...YouTube - Rush 2112

Compared to Marino? Dan the man used to fire his team up like no other-the guy had the heart of a lion. He came back from a knee injury that would have ended most QB's career.

Steve Young was a better all around QB than Montana. That guy was a warrior.

milkman 12-21-2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

Montana never did that.

And Baugh played in an era when the forward pass was still a relatively novel idea, and few teams utilized it to the same extent.

Defenses weren't as complex as they are today.

milkman 12-21-2006 11:20 PM

Quote:

Compared to Marino? Dan the man used to fire his team up like no other-the guy had the heart of a lion. He came back from a knee injury that would have ended most QB's career.

You really are a freakin' moron.

DomerNKC 12-21-2006 11:22 PM

Quote:

Was marino beaten by Mr. Montana in the superbowl too? Knee injury< back injury. Steve Young needed an injury to take joes job. After Joe came back, Young brought a better team into Arrowhead and was still the second best quarterback in the stadium.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:23 PM

Quote:

A quarterback in 1943 would be lucky to make the practice squad in 2006. They drew plays in the dirt back then. They install offenses in the offseason now.

You might as well be comparing a rugby player to a football player. You're practically talking about different sports when you compare the pre-superbowl era players to the post-superbowl era, especially when you start throwing punting records into the mix.

God love 'em for paving the way. But it's a different sport now.

All if that is true but does that make worse players. Those guys played with broken bones, got clotheslined, had their knees taken out.

Sammy paved the way for the modern passing era-yet is forgotten.

Broadway Joe-nerves of steel

Johnny Unitas-probably the biggest heart of all

Lenny the Cool-way underestimated for his acuracy and leadership. Does pretty good on the news too-lol

PastorMikH 12-21-2006 11:24 PM

Say Half, whatever happened between you and the friend?

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

You really are a freakin' moron.

Must have fogotten Montana had the benefit of the best defense in the NFL, best WR ever, huge O-line, and a devasting Special teams.

What did Marino have. The Marks brothers, no running game, and a shitty D.

007 12-21-2006 11:29 PM

NO. He probably just lost me my second post season game in a row too. Sure hope I can find a good off season free-agent to replace him with in my keeper league without breaking my bank.

KurtCobain 12-21-2006 11:33 PM

Quote:

It's not like I'm sitting here clueless as to where Elway fits in NFL history.

You mean after the greats such as Grbac and Huard?

Farve's in my top 7. Elway's in my top 15. Go figure.

And Montana was the best IMO. Marino was shit compared to Joe Montana. Hell, Brady sits higher than Marino. Dumbass choked every damn season.

milkman 12-21-2006 11:35 PM

Quote:

Must have fogotten Montana had the benefit of the best defense in the NFL, best WR ever, huge O-line, and a devasting Special teams.

All of that is true.

But Montana was something special.

I actually thought much the same way as you in the Marino-Montana debate, but then he took a sorry ass group of players wearing the red and gold to the AFC championship game, winning in the clutch a couple of times making plays in the passing game with receivers like Willie freakin' Davis, and I realized that Montana raised the level of play around him like no other QB could.

Marino did as well, but not not nearly as much as Montana did.

DomerNKC 12-21-2006 11:37 PM

Quote:

Montana won 2 superbowls before he had any of these things.

tk13 12-21-2006 11:41 PM

Montana had a great team, but he was the type of guy that made everybody around him better. He almost turned Marty Schottenheimer into a winner, that should end the argument right there. Without Montana, Marty literally wouldn't have anything to hang his hat on in the last 20 years since the fumble. If I had one game to win, he'd be my QB.

2112 12-21-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
If I had one game to win, he'd be my QB.

Agreed..that should be all!!

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

All of that is true.

But Montana was something special.

I actually thought much the same way as you in the Marino-Montana debate, but then he took a sorry ass group of players wearing the red and gold to the AFC championship game, winning in the clutch a couple of times making plays in the passing game with receivers like Willie freakin' Davis, and I realized that Montana raised the level of play around him like no other QB could.

Marino did as well, but not not nearly as much as Montana did.

Montana had it all, no doubt about it. Marino had below average talent his whole career-and obliterated every record. If Marino had managed to win a SB-people would not shit on him so bad.

milkman 12-21-2006 11:47 PM

Quote:

Montana had it all, no doubt about it. Marino had below average talent his whole career-and obliterated every record. If Marino had managed to win a SB-people would not shit on him so bad.

A big part of the reason that Marino holds all those records is that he never had a ground game to support him, and with everything else lacking, he did have an outstanding pass protection group in front of him.

He did have that quick release, but for a team that couldn't run the ball, he had all kinds of time to pass, and he passed a lot.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:47 PM

Quote:

Montana had a great team, but he was the type of guy that made everybody around him better. He almost turned Marty Schottenheimer into a winner, that should end the argument right there. Without Montana, Marty literally wouldn't have anything to hang his hat on in the last 20 years since the fumble. If I had one game to win, he'd be my QB.

Marty almost singlehandly created comeback John Elgay too. If it wasn't for his uncanny ability to choke away games under pressure-he would just be considered an above average player.

I won't even mention how the Donks cheated the cap, or how his line greased up to create a dominating running game, or how the NFL protected him the last leg of his career to finally get him the SB titles.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomerNKC
Montana won 2 superbowls before he had any of these things.

Thanks to an incredible new system and a HOF coach.

Easy 6 12-21-2006 11:51 PM

Quote:

The End.

KurtCobain 12-21-2006 11:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks to an incredible new system and a HOF coach.

Marino would've choked as a 49er. San Fran wouldn't have won a SB without Montana, I guarantee it.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyranaway
Marino would've choked as a 49er. San Fran wouldn't have won a SB without Montana, I guarantee it.

How in the hell was Marino a choke artist? He won the most games in the NFl. I think you must be thinking about Shovel pass crybaby Manning.

Taco John 12-21-2006 11:55 PM

Quote:

Marty almost singlehandly created comeback John Elgay too. If it wasn't for his uncanny ability to choke away games under pressure-he would just be considered an above average player.

ROFL Man, I'm glad I never got involved with LSD.

Taco John 12-21-2006 11:55 PM

Quote:

How in the hell was Marino a choke artist? He won the most games in the NFl. I think you must be thinking about Shovel pass crybaby Manning.

Wrong. John Elway is the current owner of that record.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:57 PM

Quote:

Wrong. John Elway is the current owner of that record.

I thought it was Marino, Favre, Elgay in wins?

What are the current totals?

KurtCobain 12-21-2006 11:58 PM

Quote:

Marino choked more when it mattered than any other QB in history. Stats are crap. A great QB can make the crappiest team play the role of a SB winner. Marino couldn't.

Halfcan 12-21-2006 11:59 PM

Quote:

ROFL Man, I'm glad I never got involved with LSD.

You must have missed all the games and playoff games Marty lost to Elgay with his prevent defense.

Taco John 12-22-2006 12:05 AM

Quote:

You must have missed all the games and playoff games Marty lost to Elgay with his prevent defense.

And you must have missed that he was being coached by a Marty Schottenheimer clone and managed to raise his game anyway, not to mention the playoff wins against teams such as the Warren Moon-led Houston Oilers, Chuck Noll-led Pittsburgh Steelers, Bill Cowher-led Pittsburgh Steelers, Bill Parcells led New York Jets, Tom Coughlin-led Jacksonville Jaguars, Dan Marino-led Miami Dolphins... And oh yeah, the Brett Favre-led Green Bay Packers.

Ebolapox 12-22-2006 12:06 AM

say what you want, but speaking of Quarterbacks, (and it's spelled FAVRE, not FARVE... damned mouth-breathers) three hall of fame QBs were drafted in the 1983 QB draft... elway, kelly, and marino

who do we friggin' draft?!?

TODD fuckING BLACKLEDGE

...UGH...

Taco John 12-22-2006 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1
say what you want, but speaking of Quarterbacks, (and it's spelled FAVRE, not FARVE... damned mouth-breathers) three hall of fame QBs were drafted in the 1983 QB draft... elway, kelly, and marino

who do we friggin' draft?!?

TODD fuckING BLACKLEDGE

...UGH...

Speaking of which, the 2006 draft was the return of 1983. These three kids are going to be special...

Ebolapox 12-22-2006 12:13 AM

and for the record, favre's a damned good QB... depending on when you ask me, he's in my top five

in NO particular order (eras too different to determine order)

elway (hate to say it--he ripped the heart literally out of my chest repeatedly--I hate this man)
montana (just won--and isn't that the only job of a QB?)
marino (can't ignore the stats)
faVRe
johnny unitas

Ebolapox 12-22-2006 12:15 AM

Quote:

Speaking of which, the 2006 draft was the return of 1983. These three kids are going to be special...

are GOING to be? hell, young and leinart already are... and cutler (ugh) definately has the skills to be as good, if not better, than both of em'

congrats on having a QB... as a chiefs fan, I've never seen a hall of fame QB lead my team (eh, other than the two years of montana, which barely even counts, as I was too young to remember)

I may give you bronco fans sh*t about the cheating and cut blocking, but honestly, I'd tolerate either of those if the chiefs were to win a super bowl... it sucks being the cubs of the NFL

Taco John 12-22-2006 12:29 AM

The Chiefs will have their day, and all the misery will make it worth it. I know that sounds backwards, but you'll understand once you experience it. Hang in there.

Chiefs Pantalones 12-22-2006 12:39 AM

Top 2 QBs of all time were Montana and Elway, IMO.

Dan Fouts? WTF?

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-22-2006 12:53 AM

Quote:

And you must have missed that he was being coached by a Marty Schottenheimer clone and managed to raise his game anyway, not to mention the playoff wins against teams such as the Warren Moon-led Houston Oilers, Chuck Noll-led Pittsburgh Steelers, Bill Cowher-led Pittsburgh Steelers, Bill Parcells led New York Jets, Tom Coughlin-led Jacksonville Jaguars, Dan Marino-led Miami Dolphins... And oh yeah, the Brett Favre-led Green Bay Packers.

He didn't beat Coughlin, Favre, or Cowher until he had Terrell Davis and shucked his "marty clone", and got his ass handed to him three times in the SB. Stop with the half-truths.

Taco John 12-22-2006 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hummus' Jenkins
He didn't beat Coughlin, Favre, or Cowher until he had Terrell Davis and shucked his "marty clone", and got his ass handed to him three times in the SB. Stop with the half-truths.

Hardly half truths. There is no doubt that our Hall of Fame bound runningback had a lot to do with Elway's Superbowl success. But the presence of Terrell Davis doesn't in any way diminish the accomplishments of Elway, despite what the Elway-haters would want us all to believe.

Elway was going to take whatever team he played for to the Superbowl multiple times, whoever that team was. Whether that team was good enough to win it depended on the quality of the team. Unfortunately, the quality of the early teams just wasn't there.