ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Free Agency and the Draft: Tracking the AFC West (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282335)

The Franchise 03-17-2014 12:45 PM

Free Agency and the Draft: Tracking the AFC West

This thread has two purposes.

1. People can quickly take a look at the OP to see which team has signed what player in FA (and also who they've lost) and then what they've added via the draft after it happens. I'll keep it updated as quickly as possible.

2. You can use this thread to discuss the outlook of the AFC West due to the FA moves and draft picks by said team.

I don't intend to have this be a mega thread that people have to wade through to find out bits and pieces of news. I won't be updating with visits or rumors. This is only after contracts are signed and draft picks are made.

List order will be by last years division finish.

Denver Broncos (1st)

Spoiler!

Quote:

Kansas City Chiefs (2nd)

Additions:

Frank Zombo, OLB (Re-signed)
Husain Abdullah, S (Re-signed)
Joe Mays, ILB (Texans)
Jeff Linkenbach, G/T (Colts)
Vance Walker, DT/DE (Raiders)
Cory Grissom, DL (Patriots)
Chris Owens, CB (Dolphins)

Departures:

Dunta Robinson, CB (Cut)
Tyson Jackson, DE (Falcons)
Branden Albert, OT (Dolphins)
Geoff Schwartz, G/T (Giants)
Jon Asamoah, G (Falcons)
Dexter McCluster, WR/PR/RB (Titans)
Quentin Demps, S (Giants)
Jerrell Powe, DT (Texans)
Akeem Jordan, LB (Redskins)
Kendrick Lewis, S (Texans)
Kyle Williams, WR (Un-signed)
San Diego Chargers (3rd)

Spoiler!

Oakland Raiders (4th)
Spoiler!

The Franchise 03-17-2014 12:46 PM

If you guys want the actual details of the contracts as part of the OP....I'll add them in.

listopencil 03-17-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10498081)
If you guys want the actual details of the contracts as part of the OP....I'll add them in.

That would be cool, but I think just keeping the list in the OP updated would be the greatest thing you could do. Having a mod sticky this thread at least through Training Camp would be nice.

Sofa King 03-17-2014 01:03 PM

This seems too easy

listopencil 03-17-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 10498102)
This seems too easy

We will find a way to **** it up. I promise.

The Franchise 03-17-2014 01:21 PM

Updated for Seyi Ajirotutu

Buehler445 03-17-2014 01:23 PM

You might put each team in spoiler tags. Keep the front page cleaner. Arrowhead hawk does a good job with the KU thread.

The Franchise 03-17-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10498122)
You might put each team in spoiler tags. Keep the front page cleaner. Arrowhead hawk does a good job with the KU thread.

Better?

Buehler445 03-17-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10498124)
Better?

Yeah. You could throw KC in one too. Doesn't matter much to me. I'm just glad someone is doing it.

Steron 03-17-2014 01:32 PM

Thank you Pestilence.

HemiEd 03-17-2014 02:04 PM

Sticky?

TLO 03-17-2014 02:06 PM

This is pretty sweet. Thanks!

BlackHelicopters 03-17-2014 02:09 PM

Thanks!

Jimmya 03-17-2014 02:10 PM

Thank you.

Red Brooklyn 03-17-2014 03:59 PM

Thank you.

TheUte 03-17-2014 04:02 PM

Nice job, thanks

The Franchise 03-17-2014 04:04 PM

Updated with James Jones.

R8RFAN 03-17-2014 06:40 PM

Raiders signed OL Kevin Boothe, formerly of the Giants, to a two-year contract.
Boothe can play every position on the offensive line save left tackle, though he's best suited for the interior. The soon-to-be 31-year-old was drafted by the Raiders in the sixth round of the 2006 draft and played one season for the Silver and Black before going to New York. Ideally, he'd be a versatile reserve.

The Franchise 03-17-2014 08:41 PM

Updated to this point.

durtyrute 03-17-2014 10:09 PM

Rep to you Pest, that other thread is/was a pain in the ass trying to find out what the **** is going on. Thank you

The Franchise 03-18-2014 10:02 AM

PFF put out grades for some of the FA signings so far. Figured I'd post them in here.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...y-deal-grader/

Grading system:

+2.0: A move that is guaranteed to take your franchise to another level
+1.5: That’s just great value!
+1.0: That should work out very nicely!
+0.5: Common sense shines through
0.0: Color us indifferent
-0.5: Did you really need to make that move?
-1.0: That’s an awfully big gamble there
-1.5: Now why would you go and do that?
-2.0: You’re bringing back Brett Favre?

Here's how they scored either our current signings or the players that left and signed with other teams.

Quote:

+1.0 = Geoff Schwartz (G) to Giants: 4-year, $16.8m with $6.2m guaranteed

The Giants have needed to address their offensive line for a few years now and they wrapped up Schwartz very quickly yesterday. A good move only looks better now that the numbers are out with Schwartz due $4.2 million per year over four years. Schwartz has the versatility to play right guard and tackle opening up a number of potential lineups options for he and Justin Pugh and he brings quality to both spots. His strong suit is at right guard however where his +15.2 overall grade placed him among our Top 10 guards on less than 500 snaps this season. Finally seeing extended action for the first time since 2010 the Giants have bought (relatively) low and if he can extend that form have a top notch guard for far less than teams have paid for those in recent years.
Quote:

+1.0 = Jon Asamoah (G) to Falcons: 5-year, $22.5m with $8m guaranteed

You might think handing a guy who was benched last year $8m guaranteed foolish. Only Asamoah didn’t lose his job down to his own poor play but rather the excellence of Geoff Schwartz, and was more than serviceable when he was in the line up. You might also think serviceable isn’t good enough, but when you suffered through the Falcons right guard woes you realize just how much of an upgrade that is. Asamoah was our 20th (out of 80) ranked guards last year.
Quote:

0.0 = Branden Albert (OT) to Miami: 5-year, $46m with $25m guaranteed

Certain things we like about this deal. Albert is a good pass protector and in that regard he’s a big get for Miami, improving an area that needed something of an overhaul. But is he better than Eugene Monroe? In one more start than Monroe he had a worse pass blocking grade and he’s never been a consistent mauler in the run game. The reason this doesn’t get a positive though is the money involved. Far too much is guaranteed for a player who is not elite and who has missed four games each of the past two years.
Quote:

0.0 = Joe Mays (LB) to Chiefs: 2-year, $6m with $3m guaranteed

Paying two-down linebacker money for a strictly two-down linebacker the Chiefs have added some more punch to their interior run defense. In his one season with the Texans, Mays recorded 36 defensive stops placing inside the league’s top 20 inside linebackers with a stop on 10.1% of snaps in run defense.
Quote:

-.5 = Dexter McCluster (WR) to Titans: 3-year, $12m with $4.5m guaranteed

For less money and for a role simply returning punts we’d like this move. McCluster is a dynamic playmaker in that regard. Using him as a receiver? Well it makes little sense to us from a Titans perspective since he’s not tested as an outside receiver and the team has the excellent Kendall Wright they use in the slot. They may get a few highlight reel plays but it’s hard to see there being a whole lot else.
Quote:

-.5 = Tyson Jackson (DE) to Falcons: 5-year, $25m with $11m guaranteed

Make no mistake Tyson Jackson is still a bust and hasn’t lived up to his pre-draft hype but as time went by he grew into a solid run defender for the Kansas City Chiefs. This, however, is too much money for a player who offers nothing more than run defense for you. This is a passing league and Jackson’s career total of 38 pressures (10 Sk, 3 Ht, 25 Hu) was bettered by 11 players at his own position in the 2013 season, one fifth of the time frame.

Skyy God 03-18-2014 10:08 AM

Would have liked to keep Demps at KR.

Halfcan 03-18-2014 10:47 AM

I don't think the Chiefs will miss the players they lost-especially not at the money they signed for.

Buehler445 03-18-2014 11:40 AM

No shit. Some of those deals are stupid expensive.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-18-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&48ers (Post 10498889)
Raiders signed OL Kevin Boothe, formerly of the Giants, to a two-year contract.
Boothe can play every position on the offensive line save left tackle, though he's best suited for the interior. The soon-to-be 31-year-old was drafted by the Raiders in the sixth round of the 2006 draft and played one season for the Silver and Black before going to New York. Ideally, he'd be a versatile reserve.

It's like Knowmo never left

easymobee 03-18-2014 11:53 AM

Fans all over not just here with the "too much money!!!" Line involving good players going to another team.

A. How many times has so called "salary cap hell" actually occurred?

B. since when did you "Joe Fan" have a personal interest in what your owners checking account looked like?

C. Even if your team Scrooges it up every year. Do u think your beer, tickets, and parking prices going to be a lot different than anywhere else?

Just one example. And make no mistake I know Bronco fans do this too.

NE fans in January believe Talib is top 3 NFL corner who is inspirational leader on par with Moses for NE D. NE to SB if not for dirty Welker hit.

NE fans rejoice last week that R. Kraft dodges major bullet. Kraft needs that 9 million, too much for 1 player. Especially good-not great cb like Talib that is always hurt and smoking drugs.

2 days later. Only 12 mil for this yr of Revis? Great! Revis is best cb in game hands down. Ignore 1.2 million posts on our message board from last 5 yrs saying he is wildly overrated. Jets fans will be mad!!!!

Btw Vince Wilfork needs to go. R Kraft needs that money. He's always hurt and too old now. Ignore the 17000 posts last yr about how dominant he is and how this killed NE SB season when he went out.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-18-2014 11:55 AM

The Lady is getting plowed tonight!

Gadzooks 03-18-2014 12:41 PM

Vaughn Martin went from the Dolphins to the Lions. Other than that, nice work.:thumb:

Molitoth 03-18-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easymobee (Post 10500081)
NE fans in January believe Talib is top 3 NFL corner who is inspirational leader on par with Moses for NE D. NE to SB if not for dirty Welker hit.

NE fans rejoice last week that R. Kraft dodges major bullet. Kraft needs that 9 million, too much for 1 player. Especially good-not great cb like Talib that is always hurt and smoking drugs.

2 days later. Only 12 mil for this yr of Revis? Great! Revis is best cb in game hands down. Ignore 1.2 million posts on our message board from last 5 yrs saying he is wildly overrated. Jets fans will be mad!!!!

Btw Vince Wilfork needs to go. R Kraft needs that money. He's always hurt and too old now. Ignore the 17000 posts last yr about how dominant he is and how this killed NE SB season when he went out.

lol. Nailed it dude.
I get burnt out on reading stupid fan takes that spew this exact same shit.

Chiefnj2 03-18-2014 01:05 PM

The OL lost its three best players. Any way you cut it - it's a step back.

Halfcan 03-18-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 10500212)
The OL lost its three best players. Any way you cut it - it's a step back.

The Oline was average at best most of the season- for whatever reason they never jelled and played a complete game- except maybe against the fade and redskins. To pay out 20 mil to those guys in the coming year to get exactly what you had last year didn't make a lot of sense.

Time for some new blood.

The Franchise 03-18-2014 02:37 PM

Terez A. Paylor ‏@TerezPaylor 33m

Dorsey on Sanders: “I was interested in the player and at the end of the day, the player and agent decided to go to Denver.” #chiefs

Dorsey says this draft is very deep in terms of WRs with skills. #Chiefs

Dorsey on Sanders situation: “I’ve kind of put it in the rearview mirror and I’m moving forward."

Dorsey says he could envision Abdullah or Commings playing at free safety. Says there’s some players in draft that can help there, too.

Dorsey says Walker can play the run but gives you an extra dimension in pass-rush

Dorsey on the starting LT situation: #Chiefs will put the best five OL out there.

Dorsey basically said Mike Catapano is working his butt off and can see him making great strides.

Dorsey on Mays: “He's a real football player. He's mature...a very good communicator. He'll be able to play equally the run and the pass."

Nick Jacobs ‏@Jacobs71 29m

John Dorsey said that contract extensions talks with Alex Smith and Justin Houston are on going.

mcaj22 03-18-2014 02:56 PM

that sounds like a guy that besides the draft really doesn't plan to bring in many veteran FAs between now and August.

Chiefs going to be fielding a lot of inexperience at starters this year.

The Franchise 03-18-2014 03:23 PM

Terez A. Paylor ‏@TerezPaylor 2m

Dorsey on free safety: "One of the reasons we drafted Sanders Commings is we thought he fit that positional skill."

The Franchise 03-19-2014 09:20 AM

Updated for Donald Penn.

kcchiefsus 03-19-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 10500450)
that sounds like a guy that besides the draft really doesn't plan to bring in many veteran FAs between now and August.

Chiefs going to be fielding a lot of inexperience at starters this year.

It sounds like the approach of somebody who knows they aren't going anywhere this year, so might as well see what they have with the young guys. I really have to hope he doesn't have this blind faith in rookies and unproven young players when it really matters and when we might actually have a chance at being a good team. That isn't this year, so I guess it doesn't matter what free agents we sign or don't sign.

Eureka 03-19-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsus (Post 10501793)
It sounds like the approach of somebody who knows they aren't going anywhere this year, so might as well see what they have with the young guys. I really have to hope he doesn't have this blind faith in rookies and unproven young players when it really matters and when we might actually have a chance at being a good team. That isn't this year, so I guess it doesn't matter what free agents we sign or don't sign.

Screw that mentality of "this isn't our year" crap.

To me the chiefs look like a team that are ready to win now. With a little luck, some solid drafting, and an aggressive GM who makes deals, the chiefs can win.

kcchiefsus 03-19-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eureka (Post 10501905)
Screw that mentality of "this isn't our year" crap.

To me the chiefs look like a team that are ready to win now. With a little luck, some solid drafting, and an aggressive GM who makes deals, the chiefs can win.

Well he isn't making deals and isn't being aggressive, and so far he hasn't exactly shown solid drafting. And a little luck? Luck and Chiefs don't belong in the same sentence unless it's a sentence about Andrew Luck stomping the Chiefs asses.

It ain't happening.

The Franchise 03-19-2014 02:53 PM

Updated with Grissom.

Halfcan 03-19-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsus (Post 10501914)
Well he isn't making deals and isn't being aggressive, and so far he hasn't exactly shown solid drafting. And a little luck? Luck and Chiefs don't belong in the same sentence unless it's a sentence about Andrew Luck stomping the Chiefs asses.

It ain't happening.

:hmmm: so being "agressive" is over paying for average players? I like what they are doing-we need some young guns in here. People bitch when we bring in retreads and they bitch when we dont-lol :shake:

The Franchise 03-20-2014 09:19 AM

Updated for Charles Woodson.

The Franchise 03-24-2014 10:44 AM

Updated Lewis, Owens and Schaub.

R8RFAN 03-28-2014 05:19 PM

No Chiefs signings = Dead Thread LMAO

Raiders
Maurice Jones-Drew
CJ Wilson
Resigned Pat Sims

listopencil 03-28-2014 05:41 PM

Knowshon Moreno, RB (Dolphins)