ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Is my landlord ****ing me? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315780)

Hammock Parties 06-12-2018 07:27 PM

Is my landlord ****ing me?

My landlord recently added a "$25 check processing fee" to my account out of nowhere.

Not only have I never paid them a check processing fee before, but it's not in the lease.

I've paid via check for a year and half with no extra fees. So...do I have to pay them or what?

I feel like they're trying to **** me.

SuperBowl4 06-12-2018 07:28 PM

JUST SAY NO - Nancy Regan

Simply Red 06-12-2018 07:29 PM

yes - don't just lay there!

kccrow 06-12-2018 07:31 PM

Courts generally would rule in favor of the tenant for material changes if the landlord doesn't ask you to agree to an amended lease prior to implementing the charges.

wazu 06-12-2018 07:33 PM

Yeah, I’d be raising a strong objection to that nonsense.

kccrow 06-12-2018 07:33 PM

Of course, if you're on month-to-month terms... that's a new ball game. Doesn't sound like you are though.

Pablo 06-12-2018 07:33 PM

You shouldn't have worn that dress.

Coochie liquor 06-12-2018 07:34 PM

Does she look like this??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/btq6ryTD_DA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deberg_1990 06-12-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13590769)
My landlord recently added a "$25 check processing fee" to my account out of nowhere.

Not only have I never paid them a check processing fee before, but it's not in the lease.

I've paid via check for a year and half with no extra fees. So...do I have to pay them or what?

Buy a home and stop throwing your money away.

Hammock Parties 06-12-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13590777)
Of course, if you're on month-to-month terms... that's a new ball game. Doesn't sound like you are though.

Nope.

This company is shady. They put me in a house with a complete shit A/C and I had to beat them over the head with e-mails and multiple service visits before I got a replacement.

Turns out over 40% of the cooling fins were bent on the unit they replaced. ROFL

I won't be signing another lease with them. SBD Housing.

BryanBusby 06-12-2018 07:35 PM

Ah yeah, I wouldn't tolerate that shit.

Ming the Merciless 06-12-2018 07:35 PM

yes, he cant do that 'out of the blue'

1) if youre on a month-to month agreement:

Most likely, depending on what state you live in ... he would have to give you a 30-day or 60-day notice to add this fee. That would allow you sufficient time to decide if you want to keep living there, or find a different way to pay etc...

If you dont agree to the fee, you simply give 30-day notice of your own and be done with him

2) 12 month or similar lease

he cant make this change till the end of the lease period, if youre close to the lease period they could give you a 30 or 60 day notice for after the lease expires because

when the lease expires, it automatically converts to a month-to month so

see 1 if youre near the end of the lease

Hammock Parties 06-12-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13590781)

That's probably what I'm going to do in March.

kccrow 06-12-2018 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13590782)
Nope.

This company is shady. They put me in a house with a complete shit A/C and I had to beat them over the head with e-mails and multiple service visits before I got a replacement.

Turns out over 40% of the cooling fins were bent on the unit they replaced. ROFL

That sucks ass to have a bad landlord.

I wouldn't pay the fee. It's not in the lease. If they want to fight it out in court, they'll be fighting a losing battle.

Dartgod 06-12-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

SBD Housing.

Silent but deadly?

Rain Man 06-12-2018 07:39 PM

Tell them it's not in the lease so you choose not to donate. Make them prove to you that they can add such a fee.

ChiefsCountry 06-12-2018 07:40 PM

Company must have gotten burnt by bad checks. I always wrote checks when I rented because I wanted a written record that I paid. I'm amazed by the people who rent who pay cash month to month. Of course most of them don't have an account at a bank either, which always amazes me as well.

Hammock Parties 06-12-2018 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13590787)
That sucks ass to have a bad landlord.

This company is a bigger corporate function that basically handles the leases and maintenance for people who actually own the houses.

They're trying to skim some more off the top it would seem.

If I don't buy a house in the spring I'm going to back to my old landlord. Just a dude with a bunch of houses. Never had a single issue.

suzzer99 06-12-2018 07:40 PM

First symptom is a pounding sensation in your ass. If it persists, seek help.

Frazod 06-12-2018 07:42 PM

Copying what I posted on your FB thread:

I'd check the payment provisions of your lease. If there's no language regarding excess fees or collection methods, you may not have to pay it.

Of course, actually making that happen is an entirely different animal. You may have to hire an attorney to fight for you, and the attorney will probably charge you more to get you out of paying it than paying it will cost you. And of course, your landlord knows that.

Rasputin 06-12-2018 07:47 PM

Is your landlord ****ing you? Does he/she come through the window in your room while you're sleeping? That would be rape. You've been raped in your sleep.

AssEaterChief 06-12-2018 07:48 PM

It is 25 whole dollars....I wouldn't neccesarily call that getting ****ed

Chief Roundup 06-12-2018 07:49 PM

Check your lease agreement paying special attention to vague clauses about changes to the lease, rent and payment options. This will determine how you can handle the situation.
Once you have read it over again call your landlord and open communications regarding this situation. Use a emotionless town of voice. Depending on what you want to happen will help you decide how far you are wanting/willing to go in whichever direction that the conversation will go.

SPchief 06-12-2018 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AssEaterChief (Post 13590806)

So you would just willingly piss away 300 bucks a year?

Hammock Parties 06-12-2018 07:53 PM

Quote:

Do you know how much that is in 2118 dollars?

Especially after the collapse of the Trumpian Dynasty.

SAUTO 06-12-2018 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 13590794)
Company must have gotten burnt by bad checks. I always wrote checks when I rented because I wanted a written record that I paid. I'm amazed by the people who rent who pay cash month to month. Of course most of them don't have an account at a bank either, which always amazes me as well.

I never had a bank account until right before i bought the shop

Rasputin 06-12-2018 07:53 PM

Quote:

Yes I would consider it ****ing him

I went to pay a bill in the AT&T store with cash in hand and they charged me a $1 processing fee I was like What The ****. Its cash here you go I'm not paying an extra dollar bullshit charge. I quit them but find out that's how it is nowadays Version does it too. Its bullshit. ****ing bullshit.

vailpass 06-12-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13590795)
This company is a bigger corporate function that basically handles the leases and maintenance for people who actually own the houses.

They're trying to skim some more off the top it would seem.

If I don't buy a house in the spring I'm going to back to my old landlord. Just a dude with a bunch of houses. Never had a single issue.

Do they have an option for you to pay via direct deposit or online with no fee?

Hammock Parties 06-12-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13590815)
Do they have an option for you to pay via direct deposit or online with no fee?

Apparently, though I could have sworn before that there was a charge to do so, and that is why I opted for auto-mailed checks.

Frazod 06-12-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13590814)

I went to pay a bill in the AT&T store with cash in hand and they charged me a $1 processing fee I was like What The ****. Its cash here you go I'm not paying an extra dollar bullshit charge. I quit them but find out that's how it is nowadays Version does it too. Its bullshit. ****ing bullshit.

Exactly. These unholy ****s should not be able to charge a customer for paying them on time.

Chief Roundup 06-12-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

I think someone is missing the point. To some people $25 is movie night with the significant other or any number of other things. It is $300 a year which would help pay for vacation or part of a trip to watch Mahomes.
Another thing, If this company has 1,000 renters then it is an enormous raise in their monthly income.

It might be as easy as paying online to avoid the fee. He will just have to do a little research.

lewdog 06-12-2018 08:00 PM

Someone probably saw your Star Wars posters and thought, “let’s charge this queef a bogus fee.”

/the end.

SAUTO 06-12-2018 08:02 PM

Yep, they saw a beta bitch.

Mecca 06-12-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

I don't know how anyone could function without a bank account in todays world of automatic withdrawals and most places not accepting checks and honestly just paying bills online.

Spott 06-12-2018 08:05 PM

Just pay them in cash. If you want to get back at them, start paying with an assortment of 1 dollar bills and loose change.

Mecca 06-12-2018 08:07 PM

The last company I rented from did something like this they added a massive fee for using your debit card to pay your rent online yet if you did "echeck" you didn't get a fee so it was ok in that regard just another hoop to jump through.

SAUTO 06-12-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13590827)
I don't know how anyone could function without a bank account in todays world of automatic withdrawals and most places not accepting checks and honestly just paying bills online.

I have 0 automatic withdrawals . I still don't pay bills on line

BryanBusby 06-12-2018 08:07 PM

Quote:

Eh. If they jack the fees up sky high to force you into automatic withdrawls or online payment, they don't need to pay someone to collect a bunch of checks with Boba Fett on it.

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-12-2018 08:12 PM

As a landlord I always put a clause on the 42nd page of the lease that I have the right to **** you over at any time. I also will accept sex as partial payment based on gender and attractiveness. (NO guys and No fattys). Anal gets you an additional $5 discount.

Mecca 06-12-2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13590832)
I have 0 automatic withdrawals . I still don't pay bills on line

Wow really? I haven't written a check in 10 years, and if you have things like hulu, netflix etc I dunno how you can not have automatic withdrawal.

MarkDavis'Haircut 06-12-2018 08:15 PM

Give them the number of that MILF from your dating thread and call it even.

Flying High D 06-12-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13590788)
Silent but deadly?

Sucks Big Dicks housing

Rasputin 06-12-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13590836)
As a landlord I always put a clause on the 42nd page of the lease that I have the right to **** you over at any time. I also will accept sex as partial payment based on gender and attractiveness. (NO guys and No fattys). Anal gets you an additional $5 discount.

Irony. Jack's off pigs for a living for hog sperm but won't **** fatty.

SAUTO 06-12-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13590839)
Wow really? I haven't written a check in 10 years, and if you have things like hulu, netflix etc I dunno how you can not have automatic withdrawal.

Netflix gift cards. No hulu

notorious 06-12-2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 13590796)
First symptom is a pounding sensation in your ass. If it persists, seek help.

Same feeling as watching a Chiefs playoff game.

vailpass 06-12-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13590816)
Apparently, though I could have sworn before that there was a charge to do so, and that is why I opted for auto-mailed checks.

Sounds like they are migrating away from check collecting/processing. As long as they offer you a no-charge e-option what's the issue?

Buehler445 06-12-2018 08:37 PM

Does his dick smell like shit?

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-12-2018 08:40 PM

I'm positive that is illegal for them to do that. Promptly tell them to go **** themselves and give them notice you are leaving at the end of you contract because of this .

and eat taco bell the last 5 days before leaving and don't flush the commode for that period. If the commode gets full shit in all the closets.

Edit ; Oh , and eat lots of beets so it turns your shit red, they won't mess with you then.

IowaHawkeyeChief 06-12-2018 08:42 PM

Did you ask them about the fee? Your bank could have returned your rent check when they deposited the check due to a bank error or funds not being available for withdrawal for when the check was presented. This is not saying you didn't have funds, these things happen. The landlords bank may have charged them a $25.00 fee for a returned check even though it was presented with the next deposit and paid.

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-12-2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 13590885)
Did you ask them about the fee? Your bank could have returned your rent check when they deposited the check due to a bank error or funds not being available for withdrawal for when the check was presented. This is not saying you didn't have funds, these things happen. The landlords bank may have charged them a $25.00 fee for a returned check even though it was presented with the next deposit and paid.

Well now , that's a good point.

kccrow 06-12-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13590831)
The last company I rented from did something like this they added a massive fee for using your debit card to pay your rent online yet if you did "echeck" you didn't get a fee so it was ok in that regard just another hoop to jump through.

That's because making a payment with credit/debit actually costs a fee... We use the cheapest option in the business with Paypal Here and that costs 2.7% for swipe/tap/chip and 3.5% for keyed transactions. Most banks are far more expensive after all the fees get added up. It's easy to see why a company would charge $30+ on an electronic payment for average rent. It's kind of absurd to automatically charge it on cash/check payments even though there is some cost associated with that too. Perhaps they are doing e-check processing. Either way though, not in the lease is not in the lease.

MVChiefFan 06-12-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13590788)
Silent but deadly?

Solid But Diarrhea.

TimBone 06-12-2018 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13590820)
Someone probably saw your Star Wars posters and thought, “let’s charge this queef a bogus fee.”

/the end.

LMAO

ArrowheadMagic 06-12-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13590896)
That's because making a payment with credit/debit actually costs a fee... We use the cheapest option in the business with Paypal Here and that costs 2.7% for swipe/tap/chip and 3.5% for keyed transactions. Most banks are far more expensive after all the fees get added up. It's easy to see why a company would charge $30+ on an electronic payment for average rent. It's kind of absurd to automatically charge it on cash/check payments even though there is some cost associated with that too. Perhaps they are doing e-check processing. Either way though, not in the lease is not in the lease.

Most likely e check...passing entire cost onto the consumer. Lease agreement probably has a "fee" agreement. Pay in cash.

Hammock Parties 06-12-2018 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic (Post 13590965)
Most likely e check...passing entire cost onto the consumer. Lease agreement probably has a "fee" agreement. Pay in cash.

There's no fee agreement in the lease.

It's a paper check sent out by the bank, too.

BWillie 06-12-2018 11:09 PM

Quote:

Checks ****ing suck if you are a landlord. I've incurred about 6 bad checks in my time as a slumlord. I get charged for it, then have to worry about going back and getting the money again. It's a pain in the ass. I try to get them to pay me via Paypal or Venmo, if all possible. Cash with a receipt I give them. Then checks if they absolutely have to. Because people are pieces of shit with money.

With that said, total bullshit they add a check processing fee out of nowhere. If you wrote a bad check to them previously or something, and you never paid them their bounced check fee back, then I understand a little.

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-13-2018 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13591029)
Checks ****ing suck if you are a landlord. I've incurred about 6 bad checks in my time as a slumlord. I get charged for it, then have to worry about going back and getting the money again. It's a pain in the ass. I try to get them to pay me via Paypal or Venmo, if all possible. Cash with a receipt I give them. Then checks if they absolutely have to. Because people are pieces of shit with money.

With that said, total bullshit they add a check processing fee out of nowhere. If you wrote a bad check to them previously or something, and you never paid them their bounced check fee back, then I understand a little.

Any time I've gotten a bad check I just contact them and if they won't cooperate I just take the check to the county attorneys office and drop it off. I ALWAYS get my money plus a $30 fee from the county attorney.

Pasta Little Brioni 06-13-2018 04:30 AM

That's the MILF charge

splatbass 06-13-2018 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13590781)

This.

Nickhead 06-13-2018 04:49 AM

i shiver at the thought of renting now. :cuss:

ChiliConCarnage 06-13-2018 05:11 AM

I wouldn't really want to deal with physical checks either.

LOCOChief 06-13-2018 05:35 AM

Time to buy a house?

Comanche 06-13-2018 06:06 AM

Mess with them and send them a few money orders.

Predarat 06-13-2018 07:27 AM

Its a bunch of bullshit, mine did something similar but it was only $10. No way in hell it costs them $10 to process a check, much less $25. I was on month to month and they did give 30 days notice, so not much I could have done. If its not on your lease you should not have to pay it, the problem is if they want to be dicks about it and take it to court, that will likely be more than the damn fee.

scho63 06-13-2018 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13590769)

Is your ass sore when you wake up? Then the answer is.........

http://www.bryantlakebowl.com/wp-con...ll-600x402.jpg

tooge 06-13-2018 07:35 AM

Quote:

Nope.

The "put you in a house", um, What the ****? I've not rented in 20 plus years, but back when I was young, nobody put me in a house. I found a house, checked it out, and if I liked it, then rented it.

Hammock Parties 06-13-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 13591176)
The "put you in a house", um, What the ****? I've not rented in 20 plus years, but back when I was young, nobody put me in a house. I found a house, checked it out, and if I liked it, then rented it.

Yeah poor choice of words. But you know, no way to know if an A/C is up to snuff in the spring before you sign a lease.

tooge 06-13-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13591180)
Yeah poor choice of words. But you know, no way to know if an A/C is up to snuff in the spring before you sign a lease.

Ok gotcha. I thought maybe they "placed" you also. Anyhow, regarding the check fee, it seems that if there isn't a provision in the lease for such, then they can't do it. Checks are a pain in the ass though. Someone has to physically go to the bank to deposit them, so that is probably their "processing fee" idea.

lewdog 06-13-2018 07:50 AM

People still use checks?

Who wants to be inconvenienced with going to the bank? I rarely have to go for anything and it’s great.

Hammock Parties 06-13-2018 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13591202)
People still use checks?

Who wants to be inconvenienced with going to the bank? I rarely have to go for anything and it’s great.

My bank prints the check for me and puts it in the mail. It's 2018.

Flying High D 06-13-2018 09:24 AM

Landlord seems nice.

Bearcat 06-13-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13591202)
People still use checks?

If I receive a check, I take a picture of it with my bank's app and it's deposited almost immediately.

Hammock Parties 06-13-2018 02:37 PM

Now they're claiming they sent me an e-mail in April outlining a new check processing fee that would take effect in June.

LMAO

I just searched my G-mail and they certainly ****ing didn't.

What the hell do I say?

Hammock Parties 06-13-2018 02:40 PM

Like...even if I had received it...how does this change my responsibility at all?

Quote:

This letter provides information about our Online Tenant Portal as a potential way to help alleviate at least one of the routine stresses every month.

Allow me to explain a bit about the portal. To start with, we have an online system that allows secure access to your account online from any computer or mobile device. When you set your account up online, you are able to make a manual online ACH (from your checking account) payment, set up auto pay with us or pay by credit card. If you pay using your checking account and/or auto pay, there is a very small processing fee of only $1.75 each transaction. If you pay by credit card, the third party vendor charges a fee that is much higher so we only suggest doing this as a last resort. If you setup auto pay with us, we will draft your authorized account on the 3rd business day of each month. No more worrying about the mail being slow or checks/money orders getting lost and better yet.... no more late fees!

Another benefit is the ability to create a service request online that allows you to quickly, and easily enter the issue at hand and the system will instantly create a work order for the issue.

You can track your account, payments, service orders, and more via your online account.

I have included the basic setup instructions for you, as well as the auto draft form if you wish to take that route. Beginning June 1st, 2018 there will be a $25 processing fee for any checks/money orders that are mailed or brought in to our office. This does not include the deposit or your first months rent payment that are required to be paid with certified funds.

Beef Supreme 06-13-2018 02:40 PM

Just quit paying them at all and squat.

BWillie 06-13-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme (Post 13591768)
Just quit paying them at all and squat.

**** you.

cooper barrett 06-13-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13590814)

I call bullshit!!!!!

ATT has a kiosk that accepts cash in every location i have ever been in. Copy of receipt?

sedated 06-13-2018 03:14 PM

Seems like a not so subtle nudge to get tenants to pay using their online system.

Kind of like when the Chiefs tried to make Arrowhead entry "faster" by charging $60 for parking.

Hammock Parties 06-13-2018 03:15 PM

I have drafted a response for Chiefsplanet review.

Quote:

OK, well, let's talk about this.

1. I never received that e-mail. It's not in my inbox, spam or trash. Can you provide proof that you definitely e-mailed me notice of this? A screenshot?

2. I certainly never agreed to pay any check processing fees in the lease. Can you point out some other language in the lease that might cover that?

I'm going to need some legally binding reason to pay you any extra money beyond what is outlined in the lease. That's why I signed it.

cooper barrett 06-13-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13591810)
I have drafted a response for Chiefsplanet review.

But since you live in the getto...you deserve some ass reeming...

Didn't you brag about how great your landlord was? Specifically you that he mowed your grass when you were too lazy to do it.