ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I started Atkins today (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=104491)

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 04:30 PM

I started Atkins today

I'm determined to lose at least 30 pounds...like to lose 50. That would be perfect. Anyone had success with Atkins before? Any advice? Is lite beer and diet soda ok in moderation?

This over-weight shit was never suppossed to happen to me. I was a skinny kid in high school, was in weight training and had a nice V shape in college, then put on about 75 pounds in that last 15 years. Christ!

It's coming off...one way or another. Salad, meat and water are my friends.

Wish me luck. Hopefully next time we have a big Chiefsplanet get together I'll be half the man I am now.

:thumb:

Wile_E_Coyote 11-16-2004 04:32 PM

being a little bit hungry is not a bad way to go through life

it's the thirsty part that sucks

bobbything 11-16-2004 04:33 PM

The Atkins diet isn't healthy for long periods of time. What happens is that you lose so much weight so quickly. Much of that weight being muscle.

When you go off the diet, most people simply quit; cold turkey. What happens is most people, because of lack of excercise and eating habits, gain that weight back. But, they're not gaining the muscle back, just the fat. So, in essence, you're losing muscle and gaining fat.

I would strongly recommend Weight Watchers instead.

The Rick 11-16-2004 04:34 PM

Diet soda...okay.

Lite beer...eh, sorry, probably not. Maybe in moderation.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbything
The Atkins diet isn't healthy for long periods of time. What happens is that you lose so much weight so quickly. Much of that weight being muscle.

When you go off the diet, most people simply quit; cold turkey. What happens is most people, because of lack of excercise and eating habits, gain that weight back. But, they're not gaining the muscle back, just the fat. So, in essence, you're losing muscle and gaining fat.

I would strongly recommend Weight Watchers instead.

:hmmm:

interesting...thanks.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wile_E_Coyote
being a little bit hungry is not a bad way to go through life

it's the thirsty part that sucks

got that right.

HC_Chief 11-16-2004 04:39 PM

No soda. You should cut caffeine and alcohol completely for the first two weeks. Once you get into ketosis, it's okay to have ONE diet soda per day. No alcohol at all while you diet.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief
No soda. You should cut caffeine and alcohol completely for the first two weeks. Once you get into ketosis, it's okay to have ONE diet soda per day. No alcohol at all while you diet.

Your post doesn't make me happy. I feel like neg repping you...

Even if the soda has no calories, so sodium, no carbs and no sugar?????

(please, please give me the answer I want)

Saulbadguy 11-16-2004 04:47 PM

I did atkins for a few months. I lost 30 lbs. Then I quit, and gained it all back.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
I did atkins for a few months. I lost 30 lbs. Then I quit, and gained it all back.

inspirational...thanks.

Skip Towne 11-16-2004 04:48 PM

Bout time. You could live for a month off the fat in your ass. :p

Rausch 11-16-2004 04:48 PM

For me it was all or nothing.

No bread, no taters, no beer, no soda (later diet coke), no beans, no mexican, no italian, no pasta...not a bite for three months. After that I'd eat small amounts of bread/beans/beer 2 or 3 days a week.

I lost 65 lbs total, and in 1 year I've put 5 back on. I need to go under 20 carbs a day again for about 2 months, come april.

Basically, it's willpower. Good luck man!

BigRedChief 11-16-2004 04:49 PM

Did the atkins. Lost 30 to 30 lbs. No beer, chips man it sucked. I was worried about the long term health risks. Quit and gianed it all back. Went to Weight Watchers and having long term success.

Saulbadguy 11-16-2004 04:49 PM

May I reccomend the South Beach diet? Its a bit more flexible, and easier to stick to.

Of course I can't stick to any diet, but this one WAS easier.

Demonpenz 11-16-2004 04:49 PM

What I would do count calories. I would be some of those smart watchers or whatever TV dinners just to make it easier to see how much I am eating. Shoot for about a 1500 calories a day with a good mix of foods. Then Walk a mile a day. I think I burn about 1500 calories a day just living and doing shit. So if I could eat 1500 calories and minus the 130 you should burn able to loose wieght. That is pretty much what i tried to do the last couple years, exept i always end out getting smashed twice a week. I was 260 nose guard in high school now I am around 215 because i discovered that I could play madden and walk on a tredmill. I always try to walk on a tredmill alittle bit while watching a movie or some sports.

bobbything 11-16-2004 04:51 PM

Quote:

The exact same thing happened to my dad. I tried to warn him. He's now on the Weight Watchers program for the better part of 2 years. He exercises regularly and hasn't gained a pound back.

The problem is that people want to lose weight so quickly. But, in order to sustain it, you have to exercise and/or manage your fat/carb/calorie intake as well.

A combination diet, with a strict exercise program, is sure to do wonders. Plus, you'll have more energy which makes you feel much better.

Eleazar 11-16-2004 04:52 PM

There's a new diet I heard quite a buzz about lately. It's called the cochise diet. You eat salad, drink 20 glasses of water per day, mix in some evening jogging, and hire someone to move in with you that beats you into oblivion if you cheat.

The Rick 11-16-2004 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me
Your post doesn't make me happy. I feel like neg repping you...

Even if the soda has no calories, so sodium, no carbs and no sugar?????

(please, please give me the answer I want)

I never had problems drinking it. I think it's fine. If you can though, get the non-caffeinated stuff. Some people say caffeine has an effect on weight loss.

Hoover 11-16-2004 04:56 PM

I did Atkins, but was off it for the past three months, I have not really gained much back, but I know I've added some lbs over the past two weekends of hard ass drinking. Tonight I statrt again. I would liek to drop an additional 20.

Pants 11-16-2004 04:56 PM

beer me,
just start exercising a lot. At first it'll be a drag, but eventually if you fight through it, it'll become addiciting and enjoyable. Turn all that fat into muscle and become healthier. Of course start eating healthy too.

Saulbadguy 11-16-2004 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike
beer me,
just start exercising a lot. At first it'll be a drag, but eventually if you fight through it, it'll become addiciting and enjoyable. Turn all that fat into muscle and become healthier. Of course start eating healthy too.

You've obviously never been a fatass. I recommend shutting up.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
Bout time. You could live for a month off the fat in your ass. :p

It's not my ass so much as my gut.... but a smaller ass will be good too.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch
For me it was all or nothing.

No bread, no taters, no beer, no soda (later diet coke), no beans, no mexican, no italian, no pasta...not a bite for three months. After that I'd eat small amounts of bread/beans/beer 2 or 3 days a week.

I lost 65 lbs total, and in 1 year I've put 5 back on. I need to go under 20 carbs a day again for about 2 months, come april.

Basically, it's willpower. Good luck man!

damn....nice work....

...and thanks.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 04:58 PM

Quote:

May I reccomend the South Beach diet? Its a bit more flexible, and easier to stick to.

Of course I can't stick to any diet, but this one WAS easier.

what is it?

BIG_DADDY 11-16-2004 04:59 PM

Quote:

It's not my ass so much as my gut.... but a smaller ass will be good too.

If you could get down under Barney's weight it would be a start.

Pants 11-16-2004 04:59 PM

Quote:

You've obviously never been a fatass. I recommend shutting up.

Eat shit. I was just trying to help, asshole.

Demonpenz 11-16-2004 04:59 PM

Wieght loss is like anything else in life. it's just a matter of how bad do you want it. I feel the most successful way of loosing weight is look at yourself in the mirror and realizing what a piece of shit you have become and how your dead realitaves would be ashamed at what you did with your life. To think your grandparents came over as immigrants and worked 14 hour days so you can waste your life away. Oh and i heard cocaine can help you lose weight too

Saulbadguy 11-16-2004 05:00 PM

Quote:

what is it?

Sort of like Atkins. Not "low carb", but eating the "right carbs". It allows 100% whole wheat bread products after the first 2 weeks.

Oh..either diet you start, READ THE ENTIRE BOOK before you do it. Don't think you can do it all without knowledge.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
Someday I should really invest in a scale. Curious how much I weigh.

I know I hit a deuce a couple years ago... wonder how much of a lardass I am now.

I'm guessing about 215.

Saulbadguy 11-16-2004 05:00 PM

Quote:

Ok John Madden. Stating the obvious never really helps, though.

BIG_DADDY 11-16-2004 05:01 PM

You don't need to go on a diet to lose weight if you understand some basics about how your metabolism works.

Eleazar 11-16-2004 05:01 PM

Quote:

No kidding...

Pants 11-16-2004 05:02 PM

Quote:

Ok John Madden. Stating the obvious never really helps, though.

If it's so ****ing obvious, why haven't people mentioned exercise?

Saulbadguy 11-16-2004 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY
You don't need to go on a diet to lose weight if you understand some basics about how your metabolism works.

What about us with no willpower?

Saulbadguy 11-16-2004 05:02 PM

Quote:

If it's so ****ing obvious, why haven't people mentioned exercise?

Atkins diet includes excercise as part of the regimen.

Demonpenz 11-16-2004 05:02 PM

Yeah I would listen to big daddy, he had that one long post about how you need to pig out once a week.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz
Wieght loss is like anything else in life. it's just a matter of how bad do you want it. I feel the most successful way of loosing weight is look at yourself in the mirror and realizing what a piece of shit you have become and how your dead realitaves would be ashamed at what you did with your life. To think your grandparents came over as immigrants and worked 14 hour days so you can waste your life away. Oh and i heard cocaine can help you lose weight too

Ok....I'm inspired now! Thanks!

btw...you know where I could score a....... oh I'll just pm you....

BIG_DADDY 11-16-2004 05:06 PM

Quote:

What about us with no willpower?

Well that's an issue. I think most people would like to pick their own foods within reason. Most people would lose weight if they just did 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week and didn't take in carbs after 7PM.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 05:06 PM

I do plan to excercise more too btw... 12 oz. curls apparently aren't enough anymore...

:banghead: :thumb:

Demonpenz 11-16-2004 05:07 PM

i just ate a half a bag of chips and salsa. It was brought to my table on time

Sydd 11-16-2004 05:07 PM

I got up to 205 and had to do something. The wife and I did the Southbeach diet for about three months. We were not perfectly strict on it, but I did get down to 180. Since then (7 months ago) I have stayed between 180 and 185. We eat like normal for the most part, but mix in the healthier stuff about 30-40% of the time. I think one of the absolute biggest things is the diet soda. I went to all diet and I cannot drink regualr now. It is too sweet. Except for Dr. Pepper, the non-alcoholic drink of the gods. :)

I am confident at this point that I can stay under 185 and not eat like a friggin rabbit all the time.

penguinz 11-16-2004 05:07 PM

Here is the secret for you. Eat healthy and in moderation. Do cardio excercises minimum of 30 minutes at least 3 times a week. Also lift weights. YOu donlt have to go all out and try to get ripped. Just do light weights with high reps.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 05:08 PM

Quote:

i just ate a half a bag of chips and salsa. It was brought to my table on time

what are you posting in a restaurant or something????

morphius 11-16-2004 05:08 PM

I know someone mentioned weight watchers here, and they also have a new low carb diet. My Mom lost a lot of weight on the regular diet and now does some work for them, so she got me a copy of some of the material, which, if I ever take the time, well try. I do know with regular weight watchers Diet Soda is 0 points, I'm hoping the same is true with the low carb one, because I may have a chance.

Morphius
almost there.

Sydd 11-16-2004 05:08 PM

Quote:

Well that's an issue. I think most people would like to pick their own foods within reason. Most people would lose weight if they just did 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week and didn't take in carbs after 7PM.

Not eating within two hours of going to bed will do wonders.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz
Here is the secret for you. Eat healthy and in moderation. Do cardio excercises minimum of 30 minutes at least 3 times a week. Also lift weights. YOu donlt have to go all out and try to get ripped. Just do light weights with high reps.

cool and no problem....thanks!

FAX 11-16-2004 05:11 PM

Don't eat too much. Do stuff.

FAX THE EVER HELPFUL

Demonpenz 11-16-2004 05:11 PM

Quote:

what are you posting in a restaurant or something????

we have internet at this halfway house

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydd
Not eating within two hours of going to bed will do wonders.

I've been really bad at that one....

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 05:12 PM

Quote:

we have internet at this halfway house

oh...well good for you...

Jenson71 11-16-2004 05:13 PM

Drink water. No fast food.

Sydd 11-16-2004 05:14 PM

Quote:

I've been really bad at that one....

It sucks. I hate going to bed even slightly hungry, but if you learn to slowly cut back it will help bigtime.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71
Drink water. No fast food.

fast food = death

FAX 11-16-2004 05:15 PM

Regurgitate. Walk backwards.

FAX

Demonpenz 11-16-2004 05:16 PM

sonic has new breakfest burittos

FAX 11-16-2004 05:17 PM

Hop everywhere. Take laxatives.

FAX

BIG_DADDY 11-16-2004 05:17 PM

Quote:

Incorrect, your best be is not to combine your aerobic and anaerobic activities into one. Your muscle is your fat burning engine. If you have a bigger motor you can burn more fuel just doing what you ordinarily do. The combination with light weights was designed for WOMEN who wanted to firm up a bit without putting on any muscle.

FAX 11-16-2004 05:19 PM

Go in public naked. Shame yourself.

FAX

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX
Hop everywhere. Take laxatives.

FAX

ROFL

penguinz 11-16-2004 05:21 PM

Sorry, you are wrong big_daddy.

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX
Go in public naked.

FAX

I do that already.

FAX 11-16-2004 05:22 PM

Amputate. Snort meth.

FAX

Dr. Johnny Fever 11-16-2004 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX
Amputate. Snort meth.

FAX

be a post whore. Think you're funny.

:p

FAX 11-16-2004 05:27 PM

Quote:

be a post whore. Think you're funny.

:p

Sorry, Mr. beer me. Just got carried away trying to join the group and come up with ideas for you.

Seriously, best of luck with your endeavor to re-shape your outward persona. Remember, it's who you are inside that counts. A man is judged by the size of his heart.

FAX

BIG_DADDY 11-16-2004 05:29 PM

Quote:

Sorry, you are wrong big_daddy.

I'm sick of arguing a subject like this. Until a few years back I ran health clubs my whole life getting $100 and hour on the side training. I know this subject like the back of my hand. Mark Mastrov is the CEO of 24 Hour Fitness. We sat back years ago trying to figure out how we could take advantage of this type of circuit training for women. We used to have it in the co-ed clubs but it really wasn't catching on. Now he is creating mini-clubs to take advantage of this market for women and they are becoming very popular. I am sure I don't know what I am talking about though. A few members here at the planet have taken routines I designed with great results. One of them was using a routine like you suggested first and got much better results with a routine for men but whatever.

Donger 11-16-2004 05:54 PM

Quote:

I'm determined to lose at least 30 pounds...like to lose 50. That would be perfect. Anyone had success with Atkins before? Any advice? Is lite beer and diet soda ok in moderation?

This over-weight shit was never suppossed to happen to me. I was a skinny kid in high school, was in weight training and had a nice V shape in college, then put on about 75 pounds in that last 15 years. Christ!

Wish me luck. Hopefully next time we have a big Chiefsplanet get together I'll be half the man I am now.

Good luck, beer me.

Jenson71 11-16-2004 05:56 PM

Quote:

I'm sick of arguing a subject like this. Until a few years back I ran health clubs my whole life getting $100 and hour on the side training. I know this subject like the back of my hand. Mark Mastrov is the CEO of 24 Hour Fitness. We sat back years ago trying to figure out how we could take advantage of this type of circuit training for women. We used to have it in the co-ed clubs but it really wasn't catching on. Now he is creating mini-clubs to take advantage of this market for women and they are becoming very popular. I am sure I don't know what I am talking about though. A few members here at the planet have taken routines I designed with great results. One of them was using a routine like you suggested first and got much better results with a routine for men but whatever.

Anyone with a 5th grade diploma can run health clubs.

KevB 11-16-2004 05:57 PM

Quote:

Incorrect, your best be is not to combine your aerobic and anaerobic activities into one. Your muscle is your fat burning engine. If you have a bigger motor you can burn more fuel just doing what you ordinarily do. The combination with light weights was designed for WOMEN who wanted to firm up a bit without putting on any muscle.

Ding, Ding, Ding. I've lost the most weight (at least weight that I wanted to lose) when I was lifting heavy (for me) and hard. I ate fairly clean, but focused on protein with protein shakes twice a day to supplement. When any woman asks me about working out and lifting weights, I suggest they ease themselves into a program, but once their bodies are settled in don't be afraid to push themselves when increasing weight.

BigRedChief 11-16-2004 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX
Amputate. Snort meth.

FAX

Beer me....he gets an A for effort and C for content.

Donger 11-16-2004 06:25 PM

Study: Low-Fat Beats Low-Carb Diets For Shedding Pounds

POSTED: 2:07 pm EST November 16, 2004
LAS VEGAS -- Low-fat diets may be back en vogue.

New research suggests that people who lost weight -- and kept it off -- limited their fat, not carbohydrates.

Dieters are starting to turn away from the Atkins-style plans for long-term weight control, and a new study backs them up.

A Brown Medical School researcher presented the study at the North American Association for the Study of Obesity. It used a national registry of people who shed at least 30 pounds and kept it off for at least a year.

Looking at a registry of 2,700 people, the study said the type of diet made no difference in how people lost weight initially. But those who increased their fat intake over a year regained the most weight.

A spokeswoman for Atkins said the study didn't follow plan guidelines.

GMitch 11-16-2004 07:09 PM

You'll regain weight if you go back to your old eating habits, regardless of how you lose. A guy in my office lost 50 pounds with Weight Watchers, quit going, and has put 20 back on in three months. I've lost 30 since July on Atkins and hope to lose 30 more. I'm going to try to not go back to all-you-can-eat mexican and large pizzas and maybe I can keep it off. By the way, I've been drinking diet cola all the way along (I'm not a beer drinker).

Calcountry 11-16-2004 07:23 PM

Quote:

Good luck with it.

Hammock Parties 11-16-2004 07:27 PM

Why would anyone start Larry Atkins on their fantasy team?

FAX 11-16-2004 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserName
Why would anyone start Larry Atkins on their fantasy team?

You're right, Mr. UserName. He IS undersized.

DON'T LOOK DOWN HERE

Nzoner 11-16-2004 07:41 PM

I started low carb last February and dropped 70 lbs by September.Drank lots of water and Diet-Rite soda.

For the first month I stayed at the 20 carbs per day with absolutely no beer.

After that I increased my carb intake to 30 and would drink a few Michelob Ultras which sucked but I was seeing results.

I also got creative with some recipes I had and from others and found some meals that I really liked.With each month that passed I would increase my carbs a little more.

I also found some low carb substitutes that I liked in ice cream bars,pizza and bread.

What it did for me was totally change my eating habits and since September I'm back to drinking my regular beer and eating very good just in moderation compared to before.I've gained 8 lbs back and have kept the rest off.

Good luck.

Boardin Bronco 11-16-2004 08:34 PM

All of you fat tubs of lard are pathetic.

You coach potato QBs rip on Dexter McCleon, Jerome Woods, Vonnie Holliday all the time when all of them are premier athletes who just don't happen to be in the top 25 percentile of a fraternity of exclusive athletes. BUT while these guys are busting their tails for several hours lifting weights, conditioning, playing football you pathetic ****s are the primarily reason the United States has become the fattest country in the world.

Only an idiot would stop eating a good thing like fruit in order to lose weight by eating cheeseburgers, fried chicken and eggs.

Bowser 11-16-2004 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boardin Bronco

You coach potato QBs rip on Dexter McCleon, Jerome Woods, Vonnie Holliday all the time when all of them are premier athletes who just don't happen to be in the top 25 percentile of a fraternity of exclusive athletes. BUT while these guys are busting their tails for several hours lifting weights, conditioning, playing football you pathetic ****s are the primarily reason the United States has become the fattest country in the world.

Only an idiot would stop eating a good thing like fruit in order to lose weight by eating cheeseburgers, fried chicken and eggs.

Shut your yap and pass the chocolate covered yams, beyotch!

Nzoner 11-16-2004 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boardin Bronco

Says the fan of
http://www.collagevideo.com/instruct...rd-Simmons.jpg

and for your information I always have lemon with my Boulevard Wheat so kiss my ass.

Mile High Mania 11-16-2004 08:57 PM

My wife and I have simply quit buying sodas for the home ... buy bottled water instead. I *might* have 1 coke every 2-3 days now and 4 months ago, I was easily 2 a day ... more if you count refills when out to eat.

We're not going out of our way to eat better with any wild diets, but we are doing a bit better. I think I've dropped 5-7 lbs (nothing too crazy) in the last 3 weeks.

chief52 11-16-2004 09:01 PM

Good luck beer me.

I started "getting back into shape" Monday. One hour on the tread mill the last two mornings. It actually feels great, just a little tough getting up that early. When I work out that much I eat better as well. I know it works for me as I have done it before, but unfortunately went back to the same habits that got me there. :banghead:

Feeling better already...hoping to hang on for the long run.