ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I'm still stupid! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105160)

Phobia 11-26-2004 01:58 PM

I'm still stupid!

In 33 years on earth, I've prided myself in my refusal to shop the day after Thanksgiving. Previously, I used a highly rational thought pattern to discern that the specials available to Black Friday shoppers simply aren't worth the hassle of the lines and the mass of flesh at retail stores today. Somehow, however, I was talked into going this morning. I haven't been up at 5:00 AM since I was in the USMC 10 years ago unless I was coming around the other side of 5:00 AM....

As you may have guessed at this point in the story, I got up at 5:00 AM and braved the elements to go shopping. NEVER AGAIN! EVER.

At Kohls, they have 2 checkout areas; one to the right of the exit doors and one to the left. For both checkout areas, the line went all the way to the far side of the store, to the back, and another 30-40 feet down the back isle. As soon as I saw that, I begged to leave. No such luck.... So I got in line and let my wife and mother bring shit to me while I stood there. Between them, they dropped nearly $500.

Will somebody please insert a punch line at this point of the story? I'm too tired and sick of being reminded of this stupidity to continue this post any further.

mlyonsd 11-26-2004 02:04 PM

Could be worse....you could be working today. Ok, maybe that might not be worse but it's the only encouragement I could give someone that acted so stupid and without proper reasoning.

2bikemike 11-26-2004 02:10 PM

Hell I would rather hang Christmas lights than put up with the shopping. No way in hell I am going anywhere near a mall today.

Skip Towne 11-26-2004 02:11 PM

The good part is you probably saved $3.95 what with all the great bargains. And is it just me or are you getting dumber?

Bwana 11-26-2004 02:17 PM

No fuggen way would I do that. I would rather take a direct shot to the nads than go out on black friday to a store. :shake: My wife is out there some place (the mall?) in that cluster fug with a buddy of hers. I hooked up with her buddys husband and we spent the last two hours in Applebees sucking down tasty beverages. :) You have to love the brutus! :BLVD:

JimNasium 11-26-2004 02:25 PM

You sir, are a genious.

Raiderhater 11-26-2004 02:29 PM

As someone who has worked on this horrid day I am compelled to ask: What were you thinking, dummy?

Skip Towne 11-26-2004 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana
No fuggen way would I do that. I would rather take a direct shot to the nads than go out on black friday to a store. :shake: My wife is out there some place (the mall?) in that cluster fug with a buddy of hers. I hooked up with her buddys husband and we spent the last two hours in Applebees sucking down tasty beverages. :) You have to love the brutus! :BLVD:

You seem to have smartened up quite a bit.

Skip Towne 11-26-2004 02:35 PM

I have never understood the concept of Black Friday. What happened on Thursday to cause all that merchandise to lose value? Now the day after Christmas I could understand what with decreased demand and all. But the day after Thanksgiving?

Bwana 11-26-2004 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
You seem to have smartened up quite a bit.

It was a big enough bitch just driving to applebees with every swing'n dick within 300 miles in town. I think half of Wyoming is up here. Dirt road driving, can't drive over 15 miles per hour in a 35 mile zone, sheep doinking piles of dung anyway.:shake: That beer sure tasted good though. :thumb:

headsnap 11-26-2004 02:51 PM

this fits here too..

http://www.lostcatdesigns.com/phobisadoofus/

:)

Brando 11-26-2004 03:00 PM

Black Friday is just an excuse for women to go shopping. It's like their Superbowl or something. My fiance got up around 4:30 to pick up her mother and go to the Jones Store. WTF? If it were that big of a deal I would have sat up all night drinking getting myself pumped for the big game. As soon as those doors opened I would have tackled some 80 year old granny and let out a deafening cheer while beating my chest. I would then have been arrested for beating the elderly and goig into Kohl's wearing nothing but face paint, flip flops, and musk.
Unfortunately though I had to rot at work today.

RedandGold 11-26-2004 03:01 PM

All of the Black Friday madness makes sleeping in all that more valuable. Not only do you not have to get up at 5:00, it doesn't cost a damn thing!

Jenny Gump 11-26-2004 03:04 PM

I wouldn't be caught dead in a store today....oh wait.

Nevermind, and yeah, you're stupid.

ROYC75 11-26-2004 03:13 PM

5:00 AM , I would have thought that in no way you would go for this , unless she promised you a night you will never forget. FYI,Sometimes those nights have years of ever lasting reminders, annual birthdays and events.

Lesson # 1 .... Never, I repeat never go shopping with women.

Lesson # 2 ..... Never, I repeat never go shopping with a woman, especially , the 5:00 AM shit , that should have been reason enough alone.

Lesson # 3 .... Never, I repeat never go shopping with a woman.

As for the punch line, some food for thought, they found the perfect dummy to stand in the line while they shop, they are smarter than you.

Happy Holidays ...... HO HO HO !

Troy1220 11-26-2004 03:21 PM

I hired a limo for my wife and her two friends. Paid 200 dollars for 4 hours. Better than getting my doors dinged by idiots parking to close. I figure I saved money, and gonna get laid tonight....

Troy

Brando 11-26-2004 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy1220
I hired a limo for my wife and her two friends. Paid 200 dollars for 4 hours. Better than getting my doors dinged by idiots parking to close. I figure I saved money, and gonna get laid tonight....

Troy

I'm keeping that one under my hat for next year. Very good idea.

Megbert 11-26-2004 03:27 PM

I braved Black Friday got to Target a lil after 6 got out about 6:17. They had Season 4 of the Simpsons for 18 bones. Couldn't pass it up. I however wouldn't do any christmas shopping on this day no matter what. I am now home having had leftover turkey sammich and some pie watching college football and thinking about a nice nap.

ck_IN 11-26-2004 03:35 PM

I took the day before Thanksgiving off so I could have a 5 day weekend. Then while the wife was at work I did all my shopping on Wednesday.

The closest I'll come to a mall the rest of the season is when I drive by one on the highway.

And I'll agree with Roy. Never shop with a woman.

BIG_DADDY 11-26-2004 03:54 PM

So you were the womens pack mule, nice. I would suggest drinking more next time so you can't make it up.

Pitt Gorilla 11-26-2004 04:04 PM

Hey, I went shopping today as well. I woke up at 10:30, went to the local ACE Hardware, and picked up gifts for the family and extra lights for my parents' and the in-laws' houses. No lines at all and I was done in time for an 11:00 lunch.

BTW,
I too enjoy the Brewtus.

Phobia 11-26-2004 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75
5:00 AM , I would have thought that in no way you would go for this , unless she promised you a night you will never forget. FYI,Sometimes those nights have years of ever lasting reminders, annual birthdays and events.

Heh heh. I wasn't gonna boast about it or anything.... Besides, I think that was worth a couple nights.

I'm a different animal in that I actually enjoy shopping - when I'm buying shit for myself. :D I scored 3 pairs of pants, 4 shirts, and whatever the girls bought for me on the sly, so it wasn't a horrible day.

Stinger 11-26-2004 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy1220

Troy

Sound like something that happened last year durring the Christmas shopping season. My one of my wifes credit cards got stolen, but we didn't figure out for a week.

After calling the credit card company to find out what charges were put on the card the CC representive wanted to know if I wanted to report the card stolen. I told her no thats ok .... perplexed she asked why?

I told her that the felon has not even come close to spending what my wife does this time of year.

ROFL

Demonpenz 11-26-2004 04:38 PM

retail people should put up a tip jar for what they put up with today

jAZ 11-26-2004 05:14 PM

That's not stupid, that's pussy whipped.

OldTownChief 11-26-2004 05:28 PM

Did they sell out of Turbo Man dolls?

teedubya 11-26-2004 05:48 PM

I hope Pink got me something cool this year... the gift she got me last year kind of sucked.

Skip Towne 11-26-2004 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali Chi3fs
I hope Pink got me something cool this year... the gift she got me last year kind of sucked.

She's buying for YOU, TOO???

chiefs4me 11-26-2004 05:55 PM

Well your not the only stupid one, I do not do the day after thanksgiving shopping either and I am a chick, but my other half had to get up this am and be at home depot by 6am so he could score the cordless power something for 80 bucks off reg price.
I had a job at dillards about 8 years ago and we used to jack the prices of stuff up,,,then remark it down to make the idiots think they were getting a deal on Black Friday. Swear to god its true. So while everybody else was pulling their hair out and standing in lines, I took the kids bowling, spent some of the day outside, spent some on the web and rented movies, and not a line for any of those.

teedubya 11-26-2004 06:16 PM

Quote:

She's buying for YOU, TOO???

3rd year in a row... plus Phil sends me $10 in a card for my kid.

patteeu 11-26-2004 06:40 PM

I went shopping with the wife and 2 kids today (mainly so we could each take a kid to shop for her sister). I don't normally shop on Black Friday so I didn't realize how crowded it really is. Anyway, I was at a Target and when we finished our shopping, my daughter and I went up to the checkout where I found 20+ lines that each had at least a gazillion people in them. I went to the express lane and was standing next to the jewelry counter behind a pretty long line when the jewelry lady told me she could check me out at her register. I got away without waiting in line at all. I told the lady that I felt like I'd won the lottery. :p

Skip Towne 11-26-2004 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu
I went shopping with the wife and 2 kids today (mainly so we could each take a kid to shop for her sister). I don't normally shop on Black Friday so I didn't realize how crowded it really is. Anyway, I was at a Target and when we finished our shopping, my daughter and I went up to the checkout where I found 20+ lines that each had at least a gazillion people in them. I went to the express lane and was standing next to the jewelry counter behind a pretty long line when the jewelry lady told me she could check me out at her register. I got away without waiting in line at all. I told the lady that I felt like I'd won the lottery. :p

I use Wal-Marts jewelry counter regularly if I just have one or two items. I learned about it on here.

stevieray 11-26-2004 06:45 PM

How thoughtful.

doesn't it feel good to give?

tommykat 11-26-2004 06:56 PM

Troy,

If someone did what you did for your wife and friends with the limo, omg I would give my husband or other half anything!!! What a GREAT idea! Kuddos to you!:thumb:

RedNFeisty 11-26-2004 07:40 PM

I hate to shop. I tend to wait until the week of Christmas to buy presents. I don't understand the frenzy that people go through.

big nasty kcnut 11-26-2004 07:51 PM

Don't shop till week before christmas too. Go to the essex store that is wal-mart. Buy chiefs stuffs and this christmas get money to get a ps2. By the way like the new sig.

Phobia 11-26-2004 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedNFeisty
I hate to shop. I tend to wait until the week of Christmas to buy presents. I don't understand the frenzy that people go through.

That's normally what I do.

Phobia 11-26-2004 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by First Down Elvis
How thoughtful.

doesn't it feel good to give?

It does, but I'm into instant gratification. I can't hold onto that secret for a month. I've already nearly spoiled 2 surprises today. If it weren't for my razor sharp wit, I couldn't have recovered....

Logical 11-26-2004 08:05 PM

Quote:

I have never understood the concept of Black Friday. What happened on Thursday to cause all that merchandise to lose value? Now the day after Christmas I could understand what with decreased demand and all. But the day after Thanksgiving?

I have another related question. When did people start calling it Black Friday? I have asked a lot of people I know and no one was even aware it is called Black Friday.

Brock 11-26-2004 08:05 PM

fuggin tourists.

Phobia 11-26-2004 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad Logicslav
I have another related question. When did people start calling it Black Friday? I have asked a lot of people I know and no one was even aware it is called Black Friday.

I've heard it called Black Friday this year only. But, I'm always the last to know.

Skip Towne 11-26-2004 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad Logicslav

I just started hearing it this year. The guy on the radio said it's because it puts the retailers in the black.

Nzoner 11-26-2004 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
I'm a different animal in that I actually enjoy shopping - when I'm buying shit for myself.

I chose to let the mrs and my mother go together while I wondered out today to my buddys music store to find a DVD for my nephew's 12 days of Christmas and ended up buying the new Live Aid concert DVD for myself.

Upon returning home I learned from the Mrs that she had already bought it for me for our Anniversary Monday,so I got her receipt,DVD and went to exchange it.Got me a Beatles and George Thorogood cd and a Judas Priest DVD.

In other words I enjoyed my day of shopping too.

FloridaChief 11-26-2004 08:16 PM

Quote:

I just started hearing it this year. The guy on the radio said it's because it puts the retailers in the black.

Yep. 'Cause they work in the "red" until the day after Thanksgiving....

Logical 11-26-2004 08:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Cntrygal 11-27-2004 01:19 AM

You'd be hard pressed to find me in a store between now and New Years. I hate to shop, I hate large crowds, I hate the ****in idiots that shop and think that they need to stop and talk every 3 feet.

ChiefFripp 11-27-2004 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommykat
Troy,

If someone did what you did for your wife and friends with the limo, omg I would give my husband or other half anything!!! What a GREAT idea! Kuddos to you!:thumb:

The real genius ehind that idea in my mind is that it gave his wife just four hours to shop. He did indeed save money today.

ExtremeChief 11-27-2004 04:08 AM

My wife hates to shop just as much as I do, or so she says. She'll drag me to Wally World once in awhile to do the grocery shopping. Last week, she said I had to go with her if I wanted to eat. The last thing I remember is that shit was falling off the top of the cart, the rack underneath the cart was full, and I was made aware that one CAN spend $398 on food. She must have been a lumberjack in a previous life, because that shit was stacked in that cart so well that when the horror that is check-out was over, the cashier had to get us another cart just to haul the shit out of the store in. Good times.

Me and a couple of friends do our Christmas shopping the weekend before Christmas. This consists of going to Wally World for an hour, getting every damn thing we need, then heading to the bar, spending $50 on some damn golf game, then proceeding to get plastered for about 8 hours. Now THAT'S what I call shopping.

papasmurf 11-27-2004 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tommykat
Troy,

limo is on its way!

Dartgod 11-27-2004 07:54 AM

I braved the crowds and picked up a new Samsung 17" LCD flat panel monitor for $250 (was $419) and a ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB video card for $99 (was $199). :thumb:

Phobia 11-27-2004 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod
I braved the crowds and picked up a new Samsung 17" LCD flat panel monitor for $250 (was $419) and a ATI Radeon 9600 XT 128MB video card for $99 (was $199). :thumb:

That's real nice. I spent $300 on a flat panel a month ago. It wasn't even a well known brand. There were a couple stores selling them for $199 yesterday - not Samsungs, though.

Dartgod 11-27-2004 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
That's real nice. I spent $300 on a flat panel a month ago. It wasn't even a well known brand. There were a couple stores selling them for $199 yesterday - not Samsungs, though.

Circuit City had them for $199. Liquid Video was the brand. The actually had them advertised for $149 on their website, but by the time I rolled out around 11:00, all the stores were sold out. Best Buy also had an MAG brand (?) for $189, but I figured the Samsung was a better buy. It's sweet, my old CRT was losing its brightness....kind of like me.