ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KC's Next Wideout Just Caught a TD (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105296)

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 11-28-2004 09:06 PM

KC's Next Wideout Just Caught a TD

Jerry Porter is a guy we need to sign. He's young and has upside and...and!! is on the south side of 30 years.

Braincase 11-28-2004 09:07 PM

For a moment there I thought it read "KC's Next Wideout Just Caught a STD".

RedandGold 11-28-2004 09:11 PM

I'm sure there are quite a few teams that are thinking the same thing, and if we remain true to form, we won't be willing to part with enough $$$ to lure him.

WilliamTheIrish 11-28-2004 09:11 PM

The facination for Porter on this board amazes the hell outta me.

Hammock Parties 11-28-2004 09:12 PM

I'm all for it. Has the guy had another player around him worth a shit while he's been a Raider? Apart from geriatric receivers?

Put him on the field with Tony Gonzalez and a good running game (PORTER+GONZO+JOHNSON = THE FUTURE) he will do well.

Deberg_1990 11-28-2004 09:20 PM

i seriously doubt we sign a guy that talented. I can hear it now. "WE took a look at him, but he didnt fit the profile, he doesnt run crisp enough routes for the Saunders offense, we dont have enough $$$ under the cap to sign him"...blah blah blah.....

WilliamTheIrish 11-28-2004 09:22 PM

We won't sign precisely because he's not that talented.

Saulbadguy 11-28-2004 09:23 PM

Is he even a FA next year?

Mr. Laz 11-28-2004 09:25 PM

he doesnt fit vermeil's profile ...

vermeil is more of a Chris Horn kind of guy

Hammock Parties 11-28-2004 09:26 PM

Porter now has 2 TD catches against CHUMP Bailey.

Saulbadguy 11-28-2004 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazarus
he doesnt fit vermeil's profile ...

vermeil is more of a Chris Horn kind of guy

fucking fantastic.

tk13 11-28-2004 09:27 PM

I don't understand where all this "profile" stuff comes from in this case, Johnnie Morton was the best FA WR on the market when we signed him, and so was McCardell when we tried to sign him.... some of you guys get way too carried away with this profile BS. The biggest name this team added this offseason was a RT who's considered one of the dirtiest players in the league....

WilliamTheIrish 11-28-2004 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserName
Porter now has 2 TD catches against CHUMP Bailey.

That makes career TD.. what 13?

Puts him up there in the underachiever/overrated category of Johnny M<orton and Kennison.

RedandGold 11-28-2004 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish

It didn't stop us from signing Morton or Kennison (or re-signing our defensive personnel last off-season)...

Saulbadguy 11-28-2004 09:31 PM

Quote:

That makes career TD.. what 13?

Puts him up there in the underachiever/overrated category of Johnny M<orton and Kennison.

Considering who he's had to throw to him...

Saulbadguy 11-28-2004 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
I don't understand where all this "profile" stuff comes from in this case, Johnnie Morton was the best FA WR on the market when we signed him, and so was McCardell when we tried to sign him.... some of you guys get way too carried away with this profile BS. The biggest name this team added this offseason was a RT who's considered one of the dirtiest players in the league....

I agree. I fuckin DARE someone to say they don't want Terrell Owens on this team because of the "profile".

Mr. Laz 11-28-2004 09:36 PM

the profile talk comes from Vermeil himself ...

if you dont like it, take it up with him

tk13 11-28-2004 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
I agree. I fuckin DARE someone to say they don't want Terrell Owens on this team because of the "profile".

Well that's a little different, TO is a real flamboyant guy who likes to bring attention to himself all the time... Porter's not like that, at least I haven't seen it.

That said, last time we went FA shopping for a WR we signed the best guy in the market coming off multiple 1000 yard seasons, who likes to do the worm in the endzone and spike the ball and scream every time he gets a first down....

WilliamTheIrish 11-28-2004 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedandGold
It didn't stop us from signing Morton or Kennison (or re-signing our defensive personnel last off-season)...

So why add another #3 receiver?

Saulbadguy 11-28-2004 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
Well that's a little different, TO is a real flamboyant guy who likes to bring attention to himself all the time... Porter's not like that, at least I haven't seen it.

That said, last time we went FA shopping for a WR we signed the best guy in the market coming off multiple 1000 yard seasons, who likes to do the worm in the endzone and spike the ball and scream every time he gets a first down....

Yeah. We can't have players bringing attention to themselves.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 11-28-2004 09:39 PM

Porter can be our #2 guy easily.

Saulbadguy 11-28-2004 09:39 PM

I'm sorry, but I think Warren Sapp would have added something to this defense as well. Too bad he doesn't fit the profile either.

RedandGold 11-28-2004 09:40 PM

Quote:

So why add another #3 receiver?

Because he's better than our current #1 and #2 receivers...

Mr. Laz 11-28-2004 09:41 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I think Warren Sapp would have added something to this defense as well. Too bad he doesn't fit the profile either.

and vermeil said as much when ask whether they chiefs were interested in Sapp.

Tk can go into his normal denial shell all he wants, this "profile" crap comes from the very man he's defending.

Saulbadguy 11-28-2004 09:41 PM

So we'd have 3 #2 receivers?

papasmurf 11-28-2004 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Mac Ver 2.0
Jerry Porter is a guy we need to sign. He's young and has upside and...and!! is on the south side of 30 years.

can he play cornerback?

tk13 11-28-2004 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazarus
the profile talk comes from Vermeil himself ...

if you dont like it, take it up with him

I realize that, but where does he say that Jerry Porter is not a WR that fits what he likes to do?
People just make stuff up implying that anybody who likes to dance and have fun and show off a bit doesn't fit "the profile"... and that the only guys who do are the little scrappy no-namers.

Saulbadguy 11-28-2004 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papasmurf
can he play cornerback?

REP!

WilliamTheIrish 11-28-2004 09:45 PM

Quote:

Porter can be our #2 guy easily.

That's OK.

So what's the pay scale for a "#2" receiver with 13 TD's in 5 years and a history of injuries?

He just doesn't impress me.

Alphaman 11-28-2004 09:46 PM

Quote:

I wholeheartedly agree. I think now is the time to replace Kennison and Morton with 2 27ish talented WRs. Porter and Givens (from NE) are my current choices. Givens will be a restricted free agent, but since he was a 7th round pick, he may not cost a heavy price.

tk13 11-28-2004 09:52 PM

Too bad Titus isn't here, we have a lexicon entry...

"Does not fit the profile": Any athlete who shows any form of enjoyment in celebration of achievements.

"The Profile": Any scrappy little white guy from little known college such as Humboldt State or Rocky Mountain College.

RedandGold 11-28-2004 09:52 PM

Quote:

That's OK.

So what's the pay scale for a "#2" receiver with 13 TD's in 5 years and a history of injuries?

He just doesn't impress me.

Flashback 1999:

Joe Horn

#3 receiver behind Andre Rison and Derrick Alexander. In 4 years with the Chiefs, he only caught 7 TDs and had just under 1,000 yds total receiving.

Was New Orleans wrong for going after a #3 receiver that hadn't proven anything after 4 years in the league?

morphius 11-28-2004 09:53 PM

Quote:

So we shouldn't sign players on the downside of 30, but sign Sapp who has been declining everywhere for years...

The only thing he could have added was leadership, but his play is nothing to write home about.

RedandGold 11-28-2004 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius
So we shouldn't sign players on the downside of 30, but sign Sapp who has been declining everywhere for years...

The only thing he could have added was leadership, but his play is nothing to write home about.

I couldn't agree more about Sapp. Yes, it would be nice to have someone with some attitude on defense, but I would rather have someone that has the game to back it up. If he was worth the money, the Bucs would have kept him.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 11-28-2004 09:56 PM

I disagree with Givens. I think he's a prime example of a guy benefiting from the system he's in. He cannot carry the torch for a team. It's like ramming the square peg into the triangle hole. Porter, on the other hand, is a guy looking for the right system and frankly, KC can offer him that.

I do agree that we need younger, "veteran" receivers on this team. Dante Hall, Chris Horn, Joey Bagadonuts and Pat MaCrotch aren't cutting it.

Quote:

I wholeheartedly agree. I think now is the time to replace Kennison and Morton with 2 27ish talented WRs. Porter and Givens (from NE) are my current choices. Givens will be a restricted free agent, but since he was a 7th round pick, he may not cost a heavy price.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 11-28-2004 10:21 PM

hmm...4 catches, 122 yards and 2 TDs so far. Yeah, we can't put him to use.

Alphaman 11-28-2004 10:24 PM

Quote:

I disagree with Givens. I think he's a prime example of a guy benefiting from the system he's in. He cannot carry the torch for a team. It's like ramming the square peg into the triangle hole. Porter, on the other hand, is a guy looking for the right system and frankly, KC can offer him that.

I do agree that we need younger, "veteran" receivers on this team. Dante Hall, Chris Horn, Joey Bagadonuts and Pat MaCrotch aren't cutting it.

If we can sign Porter, that gives us Holmes, Gonzalez, Porter and possibly Kris Wilson as playmakers. Givens as the number 2 guy wouldn't have to carry the torch, just beat man on man coverage. I'm not advocating signing Givens only. I'm saying sign him after signing Porter.

We have a pretty good system too.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 11-28-2004 10:29 PM

I see your point about Givens and it's valid. I just think the Pats system is set up to benefit a player like Givens more than ours is.

Rausch 11-28-2004 10:35 PM

**** Porter, I want Ronald Curry...

Spicy McHaggis 11-28-2004 10:41 PM

Quote:

I think Pat MaCrotch just needs more time to get into the system. I really liked him coming out of college. bagadonuts is overrated though, he doesn't have the speed for the offense.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 11-28-2004 10:41 PM

Do you want the dropped passes? Dropped TDs he's had all year? Horn is the dark version of Marc Borigter and Chris Horn.

Quote:

**** Porter, I want Ronald Curry...

RealSNR 11-28-2004 10:42 PM

Hey, remember when we drafted Sylvester Morris? And how we didn't want to wait for the 2nd round to pick up a receiver? And how Porter was drafted in the 2nd? And how Sylvester was supposed to anchor our WR corps for years and how Porter wouldn't do such a thing? Then remember when Morris got injured?

Oh shit, I'm depressed again.

Sure-Oz 11-28-2004 11:02 PM

What a performance by Porter. I would love to have him on our team, so that means it won't happen!

Spicy McHaggis 11-28-2004 11:03 PM

yeah he made Bailey look like Burntee

LiL stumppy 11-28-2004 11:04 PM

Quote:

Huh?Hes very talented or else he woulnd't be starting.

Rausch 11-28-2004 11:05 PM

Quote:

Do you want the dropped passes? Dropped TDs he's had all year? Horn is the dark version of Marc Borigter and Chris Horn.

What?

Herzig 11-28-2004 11:06 PM

I agree that we need to sign a young veteran receiver. Rookie WR's rarely contribute in their first few years in the NFL. We need to spend all of our higher draft picks on defense.

WilliamTheIrish 11-28-2004 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiL stumppy
Huh?Hes very talented or else he woulnd't be starting.

Starting over who?

Ron Curry? Doug Gabriel?

Porter, playing for a contract, has his career game tonight in the snow.

6 for 125. His third career 100 yard receiving day. He'll parlay this night into some teams fools paradise of a FA contract.

Pray it ain't us.

Sure-Oz 11-28-2004 11:21 PM

How the hell did we miss out on drafting Curry in the 7th round?? Was he drafted as a QB??

bricks 11-28-2004 11:59 PM

Quote:

The facination for Porter on this board amazes the hell outta me.

To put this in perspective, the facination of Porter on this board should come as no surprise. The guy had his best game of the year, and people all of a sudden take the ride on the wagon. What has he done all year? Nothing real special. Where was he the last 3 years? :hmmm: This is all hype, and very over-rated. One big game whoppy ding.

PastorMikH 11-29-2004 12:02 AM

I can't see us getting that competitive in FA with the front office we have now. However, I am sure that Porter would love for us to court him so Al puts up more $ to keep from losing him to us.

bricks 11-29-2004 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorMikH
I can't see us getting that competitive in FA with the front office we have now. However, I am sure that Porter would love for us to court him so Al puts up more $ to keep from losing him to us.

That seems like a plan the Raiders would endure. I'd rather have the Chiefs draft Mike Williams to be honest.

WilliamTheIrish 11-29-2004 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks
That seems like a plan the Raiders would endure. I'd rather have the Chiefs draft Mike Williams to be honest.

That would be the deal.

bricks 11-29-2004 12:12 AM

Quote:

That would be the deal.

Mike Williams is a stud. We could draft a WR for the first time in ooohh :hmmm: :doh!: I can't remember.

alanm 11-29-2004 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks
Mike Williams is a stud. We could draft a WR for the first time in ooohh :hmmm: :doh!: I can't remember.

2000, Sylvester Morris ring a bell?

bricks 11-29-2004 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanm
2000, Sylvester Morris ring a bell?

Uh yeah dude. :rolleyes: I was being sarcastic. We never had a WR come in here that was drafted by us and turn into a stud. Morris, I thought, woulda been a good player. We just got bad luck, not meant to be with him. Fugg'n injuries.

DaWolf 11-29-2004 01:34 AM

The scary thing about Jerry Porter is that he still gets to play 2 games against us, and the stats he'll put up against our secondary will probably put him out of our price range. Ironic isn't it that we'll drive up the price for potential free agents we may want. Hell, as bad as our D is, Kerry Collins still has a shot at the pro bowl with two games against it.

Thanks for bringing back the pride to our D Gunther! :cuss:

Red Dawg 11-29-2004 07:51 AM

I'd love to get him but there is non chance we pay the cash to land him.

patteeu 11-29-2004 08:45 AM

I don't know anything about football, but Marvin Harrison would be a nice addition to the Chiefs offense. If we can't get him, I'd be interested in taking a chance on Jerry Porter. I'm still rooting for Marc Boerigter to come back and play better than he did in his sophmore season. And whatever happened to the Oregan WR we drafted? Has he even dressed for a game yet?

If we shot our free agency wad on Marvin Harrison and as a result we couldn't sign any defensive free agents (and therefore could only help the defense through the draft), would it be worth it?

jcroft 11-29-2004 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu
If we shot our free agency wad on Marvin Harrison and as a result we couldn't sign any defensive free agents (and therefore could only help the defense through the draft), would it be worth it?

No.

ROYC75 11-29-2004 09:31 AM

Is it just me or is it much easier for teams, any teams to pass the ball now since the new 5 yard rule is being enforced. The NFL wanted more offense, thus creating and making it more difficult to cover average recievers, much less the quality recievers.

Anybody with quality recievers are a leg up on anybody else, plus a top notch QB, you have instance offense.

The steady pressure really has to be applied from the front 3 or 4 on defense now to help disrubt the QB from finding open recievers. The occasional blitz wil help, but we must somehow find the pass rush up front first.

If we go offense in any of the 1st-3 picks of this draft , I think I will blow another fuse like I did when we drafted LJ !

DaKCMan AP 11-29-2004 09:46 AM

I've been saying we need to sign Porter this offseason for a while now. He or Plaxico Burress. In a perfect world we could grab both and be set for years, but that'd be too much $$ when we need to spend on the D.