ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I hope we do finish 8-8... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=106368)

DaWolf 12-14-2004 01:02 AM

I hope we do finish 8-8...

Screw draft position. Draft position can kiss my ass. This team needs momentum going into next year. It needs to be attractive to free agents. It needs to have motivation to work harder this offseason, and you are more likely to get that from a group of guys who still believe in the coaches and system. It needs to also kick the ass of the rest of the freakin' AFC West. We need to beat the Chargers. We need to take out our frustration on the Donx. We need to bitch slap the Faiders.

Yeah, 8-8 would be fine with me, along with priming ourselves for an offseason which will let us regain the division crown next year...

cheeeefs 12-14-2004 01:10 AM

here here

Hammock Parties 12-14-2004 01:10 AM

HELL YES!

Rausch 12-14-2004 01:10 AM

Good thing, 'cause we will...

SPchief 12-14-2004 01:12 AM

can I get an AMEN brother

DenverChief 12-14-2004 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief
can I get an AMEN brother

AMEN

Ultra Peanut 12-14-2004 07:16 AM

**** yeah.

Demonpenz 12-14-2004 07:18 AM

thats still alot of bragging rights over other fans

the Talking Can 12-14-2004 07:25 AM

imagine the difference between an offseason filled with taunting Bronco fans after Denver sweeps us and goes to the playoffs

vs.

an offseason where we split with the Doncos and keep them out of the playoffs while increasing the pressure on their joke of a QB.....

yeah, we need to win

philfree 12-14-2004 07:31 AM

I'm on board :clap: No way I want a Donks win in Arrowhead and there's no way I wanna see my team lose at home on Christmas Day. The cherrie on top would be the Chargers. Go Chiefs :thumb:

PhilFree :arrow:

StcChief 12-14-2004 08:13 AM

Win out 8-8.
Beat donks
Beat Faiders.
Beat Chargers (they will be resting for playoffs when Denver is gone)

MichaelH 12-14-2004 08:18 AM

It would help to gain a little respect back. I'm so sick of hearing Tom Jackass make fun of the Chiefs. A strong finish to the season will surely help next season. I think this year started on a bad note after the playoff loss.

BigChiefFan 12-14-2004 08:48 AM

I don't see how you all think momentum carries over from year to year. If that were the case our expectations wouldn't have been dashed so much this year.

philfree 12-14-2004 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan
I don't see how you all think momentum carries over from year to year. If that were the case our expectations wouldn't have been dashed so much this year.

We lost the last game last year as well as a couple others late in the season. We we're blown out of the Donks and Vikes games too and that is where the total collapse of the D really took hold.

Chiefnj 12-14-2004 09:05 AM

As long as it doesn't result in a mentality of "the team has come together, we don't need to really improve the defense with free agents", then I'm all for it.

BigChiefFan 12-14-2004 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree
We lost the last game last year as well as a couple others late in the season. We we're blown out of the Donks and Vikes games too and that is where the total collapse of the D really took hold.

Maybe so, but when you change players, there is always going to be a different team, unless you go the Carl approach and retain the same scrubs, so I believe there is always a different team. Momentum is great, but there is absolutley no way there is a guarantee it carries over. We are playing for 2005 and beyond at this point. Please tell me how giving up 35 points is building momentum for next year? If that's momentum-we are fooked.

KCN 12-14-2004 09:10 AM

Hell yeah 8-8. I can't get excited about losing for draft position, especially when all 3 of our final games are division rivals. No way. Like could be said in a Mastercard commercial...cost of finishing 8-8: a few spots of draft position....putting the axe on Denver's playoff chances in Arrowhead...or beating the Raiders on Christmas Day.....priceless.

philfree 12-14-2004 09:15 AM

Quote:

Please tell me how giving up 35 points is building momentum for next year?
IMO winning is always better and look on the bright side. WE won and still had the main point that we can't cover anyone driven down our throat. If we want to have a chance it's obvious we have to replace at least two of our CBs if not the whole secondary.

Stinger 12-14-2004 09:26 AM

I would love to go 8-8 just to piss the people off who want a higher draft slot instead of winning. Not to mention sweeping the Raiders again and knocking the Broncos out of the playoff picture.

Iowanian 12-14-2004 09:34 AM

My superbowl this year, is beating Denver this week, knocking them out of the playoffs.

Warrior5 12-14-2004 09:47 AM

You sir, get a harumph!

BigChiefFan 12-14-2004 10:05 AM

Quote:

IMO winning is always better and look on the bright side. WE won and still had the main point that we can't cover anyone driven down our throat. If we want to have a chance it's obvious we have to replace at least two of our CBs if not the whole secondary.

Again, I'll pose the same question...Please tell me how giving up 35 points is building momentum for next year? Yes we won and that was nice to see, however we won in spite of our woeful defense. Winning at this point seems futile IMO, when you consider how much we really need a complete overhaul. Unless Carl has one of his best FA to date, I just see us in the same boat. I'm not saying I can't believe there is a possibilty that Carl and company can't right the ship, but his track record speaks otherwise.

On the issue of winning this year...my heart tells me to win and my head says to lose out. The Chiefs are in a catch 22. I just believe that we need a strong draft to go with, hopefully some quality FA acquisitions, I'm just not going to get my hopes up.

Winning MAY or MAY NOT carry over to next year, however the guaranteed draft slotting could potentially net you a franchise player, IE Johnson, Rolle, ect... that could impact our team for the next 10 plus years, winning out doesn't net us players, the draft does. That is why I'm so in favor of the draft helping us.

Brock 12-14-2004 10:07 AM

Absolutely, win out. Draft position guarantees nothing.

ptlyon 12-14-2004 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
My superbowl this year, is beating Denver this week, knocking them out of the playoffs.

Great minds.

philfree 12-14-2004 10:34 AM

Quote:

Again, I'll pose the same question...Please tell me how giving up 35 points is building momentum for next year?
I don't know but we did seem carry over some momentum from 2002 to 2003 though. It was more offense then defense though. Giving up 35 points doesn't help anything but perhaps the way we won the game with LJs big plays being a major contributor we our offense is now more confident then it's ever been. I'll take the wins regardless :shrug:

Devin Vierth 12-14-2004 10:42 AM

I don't watch my football team to watch them lose. I watch them to see them win. I haven't had anywhere close to enough of that this year.

TIME TO KILL THE DONKS!!!!!!!!!!

shaneo69 12-14-2004 10:43 AM

I agree with NJ. The only thing 8-8 does is give Vermiel the stupid notion that his shitty defensive players have finally improved and are now good enough to win with.

The Bad Guy 12-14-2004 11:00 AM

Quote:

I don't know but we did seem carry over some momentum from 2002 to 2003 though. It was more offense then defense though. Giving up 35 points doesn't help anything but perhaps the way we won the game with LJs big plays being a major contributor we our offense is now more confident then it's ever been. I'll take the wins regardless :shrug:

How did we carry momentum into 2003? The defense sucked shit against the Browns and was bailed out because of a stupid rule.

Count me in with the group that doesn't get all gitty over wins in December when this team pissed the bed in September and October.

Judging from Holmes comments, the Chiefs really believe they are in this position because of injuries and bad luck.

Bad luck is having the 11 scabs we do on defense.

Logical 12-14-2004 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy
How did we carry momentum into 2003? The defense sucked shit against the Browns and was bailed out because of a stupid rule.

Count me in with the group that doesn't get all gitty over wins in December when this team pissed the bed in September and October.

Judging from Holmes comments, the Chiefs really believe they are in this position because of injuries and bad luck.

Bad luck is having the 11 scabs we do on defense.

:thumb:

philfree 12-14-2004 11:06 AM

Quote:

How did we carry momentum into 2003?
We did come out of the gate and win 9 in a row :shrug:

The Bad Guy 12-14-2004 11:10 AM

Quote:

My bad, I read it wrong. I thought you were referencing 2001, back when we were as bad as we are now, to 2002.

philfree 12-14-2004 11:10 AM

Wasn't the Browns game in 2002? The helmet toss game....

I'm outta sink with this post.

shaneo69 12-14-2004 11:18 AM

Quote:

So let me get this straight. You're saying that the 24-0 shellacking that we took at the hands of the R aiders in the 2002 finale gave us the momentum for our 9 game winning streak at the beginning of '03?

Calcountry 12-14-2004 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf
Screw draft position. Draft position can kiss my ass. This team needs momentum going into next year. It needs to be attractive to free agents. It needs to have motivation to work harder this offseason, and you are more likely to get that from a group of guys who still believe in the coaches and system. It needs to also kick the ass of the rest of the freakin' AFC West. We need to beat the Chargers. We need to take out our frustration on the Donx. We need to bitch slap the Faiders.

Yeah, 8-8 would be fine with me, along with priming ourselves for an offseason which will let us regain the division crown next year...

I agree, but William Bartee had a career night last night.

If we don't get those 2 fumbles it was lights out.

Calcountry 12-14-2004 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nm_dbf
Win out 8-8.
Beat donks
Beat Faiders.
Beat Chargers (they will be resting for playoffs when Denver is gone)

Oh, did you hear that we are still mathematically alive for a playoff? We will need a ton of help, plus win out.

KCN 12-14-2004 11:24 AM

Quote:

Wasn't the Browns game in 2002? The helmet toss game....

I'm outta sink with this post.

Yeah 2002, I remember listening to it on my computer right after I had moved to TX.

ck_IN 12-14-2004 11:48 AM

Actually 8-8 or 7-9 is about what this team should be. DV has constructed a totally mediocre team and the record should reflect it.

As for momentum the only thing more overrated in football is time of possesion. Winning a few meaningless games now won't mean squat come next preseason or FA time.

A coach that would stop patting their heads and start kicking their butts would be a lot more meaningfull because it would demonstrate to players and FA's that mediocrity isn't tolerated. Too bad we don't have one of those coaches.

Red Dawg 12-14-2004 11:50 AM

YEAH HOMMIE! LOSING SUCKS!

Brock 12-14-2004 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck_IN
A coach that would stop patting their heads and start kicking their butts would be a lot more meaningfull because it would demonstrate to players and FA's that mediocrity isn't tolerated. Too bad we don't have one of those coaches.

Yeah, we really need a Butch Davis or Jim Haslett type.

ck_IN 12-14-2004 12:07 PM

<i>Yeah, we really need a Butch Davis or Jim Haslett type.</i>

As opposed to the senile grandfather we have now?

Actually we do need a Butch Davis type. That type would be a young successful college HC from a big time successfull program who isn't a player coach. Someone in the Bob Stoops mold. Or a young NFL assistant in the Bill Cowher mold.

What we don't need is more time spinning our wheels.

philfree 12-14-2004 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneo69
So let me get this straight. You're saying that the 24-0 shellacking that we took at the hands of the R aiders in the 2002 finale gave us the momentum for our 9 game winning streak at the beginning of '03?

ROFL Not exactly...I have no defense for that.....But it don't matter to me because I want my team to win every time they play. I think it's better to win these games then it is to lose them. It's better to beat your division rivals no matter the circumstance then it is to lose to them.

Calcountry 12-14-2004 12:20 PM

Quote:

ROFL Not exactly...I have no defense for that.....But it don't matter to me because I want my team to win every time they play. I think it's better to win these games then it is to lose them. It's better to beat your division rivals no matter the circumstance then it is to lose to them.

I would like nothing better than to mess up SD's chance at a home game, and Denvers chance at making the playoffs.

shaneo69 12-14-2004 12:34 PM

The NFL needs a draft lottery like the NBA has so that the bad teams have less incentive to finish with the worst record.