ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What would cause you to go into post-draft meltdown? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114521)

Soupnazi 04-20-2005 08:48 AM

What would cause you to go into post-draft meltdown?

After hearing all the draft speculation and watching this season of free agency, I can be fairly confident that things aren't going to be done the way I would do them. That leads me to believe that I'm going to have to prepare myself for the eventual feeling of being kicked in the junk at the end of this weekend. What would Carl have to do in the draft/around the draft to cause you to go completely ballistic?

eazyb81 04-20-2005 08:51 AM

Not getting Surtain would send me into a complete and utter meltdown. That along with drafting Erasmus James in the 1st round would have my reaching for the cyanide.

HemiEd 04-20-2005 08:53 AM

Trading out of the first round. :cuss:

Soupnazi 04-20-2005 08:53 AM

For me, if he drafts at the O-Line, D-Line, QB, RB, WR, or S positions in the first down, I'll be in the bell tower looking for revenge.

Baby Lee 04-20-2005 08:56 AM

Quote:

What would cause you to go into post-draft meltdown?
A time machine that took me back to a time where I had any expectations of this organization.

Iowanian 04-20-2005 08:57 AM

"with the 8th pick of the 2005 NFL Draft, that KC Chiefs have traded up, and select Maurice Clarett, RB, OSU"

Soupnazi 04-20-2005 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
"with the 8th pick of the 2005 NFL Draft, that KC Chiefs have traded up, and select Maurice Clarett, RB, OSU"

ROFL

nmt1 04-20-2005 09:06 AM

Nothing. I'll be happy and optimistic about whoever they draft.

Iowanian 04-20-2005 09:10 AM

we all know the Titus clan's nocternal emmission saturday....

"the 15th pick in the draft has been traded to the Oakland Raiders...........for a 2nd and 4th round pick"

"with the #xx pick, aquired by KC via oakland, the Kansas City Chiefs Select, Nomar Easy, FB University of Grenada"

Brock 04-20-2005 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
A time machine that took me back to a time where I had any expectations of this organization.

1972 was a long time ago.

Stinger 04-20-2005 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmt1

Thanks for your imput Mr. Dawes

shaneo69 04-20-2005 09:12 AM

Quote:

Kum ba ya, my lord, Kum ba ya.....

Brock 04-20-2005 09:12 AM

About the only thing this team doesn't need is a running back and a starting tight end. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything.

Drafting another DT would irritate me a bit.

nmt1 04-20-2005 09:12 AM

Quote:

"the 15th pick in the draft has been traded to the Oakland Raiders...........for a 2nd and 4th round pick"

"with the #xx pick, aquired by KC via oakland, the Kansas City Chiefs Select, Nomar Easy, FB University of Grenada"

While that would be disappointing, I find it very unlikely to happen. Therefore, it's not worth worrying about.

KCTitus 04-20-2005 09:12 AM

Quote:

I wouldnt exactly consider laughing uproariously at the nonsense posted on Sat with a full blown orgasm, but to each his own.

That Omar pick was a riot, though, I dont care who you are that was damn funny.

Chiefnj 04-20-2005 09:13 AM

Drafting Erasmus Jones. I never even heard of the guy before this morning, yet some writer thinks he's a possibility in the first round.

nmt1 04-20-2005 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger
Thanks for your imput Mr. Dawes

You're welcome Mr. Whitlock.

nmt1 04-20-2005 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneo69
Kum ba ya, my lord, Kum ba ya.....

It's better than being constantly pissed off about something you can't control.

Stinger 04-20-2005 09:14 AM

Quote:

You're welcome Mr. Whitlock.

ROFL :D

Iowanian 04-20-2005 09:16 AM

You definitely called your shot with the Easy Pick, Titus.

I don't think I'm going to sit around and watch the draft this year. I think if its a nice day, I'll fish, pick up mushrooms and drink some beer with my brothers. I'll pop in to see who I should be cussing about when time permits or piss breaks.

Mr. Laz 04-20-2005 09:18 AM

not getting a cornerback at some point

either a cornerback in the 1st round or Patrick Surtain or both.

i would think drafting a Tightend or Running back in either of the first 2 rounds wouldn't do much for my attitude either.

i just want them to be aware of our serious needs at cornerback and linebacker AND HAVE some kind of real plan.

Mark M 04-20-2005 09:20 AM

Any position other than CB, DE or LB, and I'll ... well, I don't know what I'll do, but it won't be pretty.

MM
~~:mad:

Rain Man 04-20-2005 09:20 AM

I just want our first couple of picks to be guys who are proven, every-down high performers at their positions, and their positions are something other than running back, tight end, or defensive tackle. No niche players, no projects.

I would be happy if those picks were at cornerback, linebacker, or even defensive end. I would grimace a bit if they were at other positions, but wouldn't melt down as long as it was an opportunity to get a great value at QB, WR, or OT, or a player like Thomas Davis who is a "special case."

KCTitus 04-20-2005 09:22 AM

Quote:

You definitely called your shot with the Easy Pick, Titus.

I don't think I'm going to sit around and watch the draft this year. I think if its a nice day, I'll fish, pick up mushrooms and drink some beer with my brothers. I'll pop in to see who I should be cussing about when time permits or piss breaks.

Yeah, it was weird that happened because I picked the last FB listed as an NFL prospect that a few draftniks noted he lacked speed and size. The irony was too much...

It's supposed to do nothing but rain this weekend around here, so there wont be much to do but watch the draft.

I hope they do get the CB everyone wants, but history tells me that's not going to happen. I wouldnt be suprised to see WR at 15.

Mark M 04-20-2005 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soupnazi
For me, if he drafts at the O-Line, D-Line, QB, RB, WR, or S positions in the first down, I'll be in the bell tower looking for revenge.

Actually, getting a stud DE would help significantly -- it takes pressure of the LBs in run coverage and, as the all-knowing Gaz has pointed out, pass defense starts in the enemy backfield.

:)

That being said, Erasmus James would NOT be the right pick. I saw at least four Wisconsin games last year and while the guy's got a non-stop motor and can get after the QB, but he's too agressive and is a liability against the run.

Pollack is an interesting choice -- he's a bit of a tweener (too light for DE and perhaps too small for OLB in a 3-4), but his attitude and playmaking ability are impressive.

MM
~~:arrow:

htismaqe 04-20-2005 09:30 AM

Things that will make me melt down...

1) Not getting Surtain.

2) Drafting something other than a CB or OLB (or maybe a DE)

3) Drafting Erasmus James or Mike Williams, specifically

I'm really not going to be happy unless we get Surtain on Friday night and then draft either Rogers, Davis, Pollack, or somehow manage to get Rolle or Johnson.

Mr. Laz 04-20-2005 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufusmaqe
Things that will make me melt down...

1) Not getting Surtain.

2) Drafting something other than a CB or OLB (or maybe a DE)

3) Drafting Erasmus James or Mike Williams, specifically

I'm really not going to be happy unless we get Surtain on Friday night and then draft either Rogers, Davis, Pollack, or somehow manage to get Rolle or Johnson.

picky old man :p

eazyb81 04-20-2005 09:39 AM

Quote:

That's where I am at as well. CP has toyed with us for the past month at the notion of trading for Surtain, I will be beyond furious if he does not make the trade.

Mr. Laz 04-20-2005 09:49 AM

the chiefs made a big mistake by painting us into a corner

they didn't fullfill either the teams linebacker needs or the cornerback needs fully in the offseason.

now we are stuck with two big needs going into the draft.

outside linebacker and cornerback

hard to fill both with one draft ... a difficult position

Iowanian 04-20-2005 09:52 AM

I fully anticipate a trade down in Round 1 to aquire an additional 2nd, and make the move for Surtain.

Soupnazi 04-20-2005 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M
Actually, getting a stud DE would help significantly -- it takes pressure of the LBs in run coverage and, as the all-knowing Gaz has pointed out, pass defense starts in the enemy backfield.

Good points. I just can't see going DE when you've got such obvious and gaping holes remaining at CB and LB.

JimNasium 04-20-2005 09:54 AM

I just want a ****ing football player. Not a project, not a guy with caveats attached, not a guy that's considered a reach. Just a ****ing football player. If they draft a basketball player I can assure you I will have a ****ing meltdown.

Coogs 04-20-2005 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81
That's where I am at as well. CP has toyed with us for the past month at the notion of trading for Surtain, I will be beyond furious if he does not make the trade.

I won't. I still think Law is going to be fine.

Law
Davis in the first.
Tuck in the 2nd.
Jordan Beck in the 3rd.
Alphanso Hodge in the 4th.

Mark M 04-20-2005 09:55 AM

Quote:

Good points. I just can't see going DE when you've got such obvious and gaping holes remaining at CB and LB.

Oh, I don't disagree. My first choice would be LB. The problem is that there is only one truly 1st round worthy LB in the 1st.

CB is a better choice due to the depth available, but there's still a steep learning curve for a rookie CB.

IF they get Surtain, then I'd be pleased as hell with a DE.

If they don't get Surtain, then they have GOT to get a CB.

MM
~~:arrow:

milkman 04-20-2005 09:56 AM

Quote:

I fully anticipate a trade down in Round 1 to aquire an additional 2nd, and make the move for Surtain.

I agree with you, though I think the Surtain deal will be done by Friday night, and the tradedown will take place while we're on the clock at 15.

jspchief 04-20-2005 09:56 AM

Drafting Erasmus "Jones"

Drafting any RB or TE in the first 5 rounds (unless the RB is a clear FB)

milkman 04-20-2005 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs

Law
Davis in the first.
Tuck in the 2nd.
Jordan Beck in the 3rd.

The more I hear about Beck, the more I think he'll be gone before we pick at #99.

eazyb81 04-20-2005 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs

Law
Davis in the first.
Tuck in the 2nd.
Jordan Beck in the 3rd.

If we pass on Surtain, I have zero faith that we will be able to outbid other contenders for Law. Pittsburgh and the Jets both need a corner, and there are always a few surprise teams. Surtain is healthy and is there for the taking, Carl just needs to nut up and give up the 2nd.

htismaqe 04-20-2005 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81
If we pass on Surtain, I have zero faith that we will be able to outbid other contenders for Law. Pittsburgh and the Jets both need a corner, and there are always a few surprise teams. Surtain is healthy and is there for the taking, Carl just needs to nut up and give up the 2nd.

The Steelers have ZERO interest in Ty Law. Less than ZERO.

NJ Chief Fan 04-20-2005 11:59 AM

where should i start?

ok well start with drafting pac man if rogers is still available
then well go to not trading for surtain
trading out of the first
a repeat out of last years draft

basically i plan on being a miserable **** on saturday

jarjar 04-20-2005 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
I just want our first couple of picks to be guys who are proven, every-down high performers at their positions, "

I'm not much of a draft guru, but are there actually very many of these in any draft? Don't they all mostly go early?

shaneo69 04-20-2005 12:19 PM

Here's what I think the Chiefs will do on Saturday. First, when #15 is on the clock, and Carlos Rogers is still on the board, they will trade down to the low first round, and I will be pissed. Then they will trade a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Surtain. Then, with their late 1st round pick, they will take Brodney Pool, and my meltdown will commence.

Terribilis 04-20-2005 12:59 PM

I am waiting for a safety from nebraska to convert to CB
its going to be sweet

Mr. Laz 04-20-2005 01:03 PM

Quote:

The Steelers have ZERO interest in Ty Law. Less than ZERO.

how can you know that?

the steelers had Law in for at least one visit ... i think he went back for a second visit as well.

hardly more than zero interest

siberian khatru 04-20-2005 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock
Drafting another DT would irritate me a bit.

In a twisted way, it would be fun to watch Carl and Co. spin that picking a DT in the R1 DOES NOT mean they are dissatisfied with Ryan Sims or Junior Siavii in any way.

ct 04-20-2005 01:09 PM

No Surtain, then a WR drafted @15.

ck_IN 04-20-2005 02:00 PM

I've gotten used to DV's magical mystery drafts. After Snoop Minis, Eric Downing, Ryan Sims, back to back fullbacks, a backup TE, and a safety/CB project from Tenn. I don't think there's anything the whizkids could do that would surprise me.

DV's and by extension CP's draft record has reached the point of gallows humour for me.

Rain Man 04-20-2005 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck_IN
I've gotten used to DV's magical mystery drafts. After Snoop Minis, Eric Downing, Ryan Sims, back to back fullbacks, a backup TE, and a safety/CB project from Tenn. I don't think there's anything the whizkids could do that would surprise me.

And with that statement, the Dogs of Fate lift their heads and sniff the air.

Rain Man 04-20-2005 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jidar
I'm not much of a draft guru, but are there actually very many of these in any draft? Don't they all mostly go early?

Eh. We're probably working off of different definitions. Certainly the stars will go early, but I think there are lots of players who (for example) played linebacker for three years and had decent stats, and aren't just a pass rush guy, and would be drafted to play linebacker. What scares me about these Demarcus Ware people and Erasmus James people is that we need defensive help on more than just third down.

Gravedigger 04-20-2005 03:18 PM

If the chiefs don 't trade up or down to get good players I will be pissed. And if surtain isn't in a chiefs jersey I will be pretty darn ticked. Carl's pride is what kills this team because it affects everything. Mind you if this was an owner with stupidity or a backbone such as Art Modell or the always hated Al Davis this deal would've been done by now. In fact we would've had Jeremiah Trotter, Samari Rolle, and Edgerton Harwell.

ck_IN 04-20-2005 04:02 PM

<i>And with that statement, the Dogs of Fate lift their heads and sniff the air.</i>

Ok I'm sure this is a very pithy and funny comment that I'm just not getting so please 'splain. :doh!:

On the other hand if you're being sarcastic about my original comment please point out to me the success stories we've had in any of DV's drafts. I'll spot you LJ and Fuji and I'll throw out last years draft since its too early to tell.

CP's drafting has always been spotty but at least under Marty we got some good defensive players. Under DV we seem to be getting squat.

htismaqe 04-20-2005 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
how can you know that?

the steelers had Law in for at least one visit ... i think he went back for a second visit as well.

hardly less than zero interest

The Steelers allowed Law to come in after he called them and asked. There have been no visits after that.

I listened to their "Bob Gretz" on the radio last night and he said Law will not be back to Pittsburgh.

whoman69 04-20-2005 06:28 PM

another year of reaches, tweeners and watching what should be a 6th round pick go in the 2nd.

keg in kc 04-20-2005 06:32 PM

I don't know what it would take to melt me down. This year, like last year, I don't have a list of players I want, I'm more in 'watch' mode, so I don't have to deal with the disappointment of 'my' player or players not getting drafting. And it's pretty pointless, I think, to declare a draft a success or a failure the day it happens.

Baby Lee 04-20-2005 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ck_IN
<i>And with that statement, the Dogs of Fate lift their heads and sniff the air.</i>

Ok I'm sure this is a very pithy and funny comment that I'm just not getting so please 'splain. :doh!:

I think Rainman was intoning that, as soon as you say "these guys can't surprise me," supernatural elements take wind to assure that that is PRECISELY what these guys do.

Like the episode of Deadwood week before last, when Cy got wind of some [not entirely clear] form of sexual perversion in Wolcott, and in an effort to gain power and influence let that knowledge slip to Wolcott along with assurances that Wolcott that he, as a person 'past surprise' and proprietor of a house of ill-repute, could be a good friend to him.
And instead of Wolcott being greatful for such a friend with understanding, took the notion of being 'past surprise' as a challenge, and proceeded to slit the throat of every whore and madam he came across in short order.

Baby Lee 04-20-2005 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc
I don't know what it would take to melt me down. This year, like last year, I don't have a list of players I want, I'm more in 'watch' mode, so I don't have to deal with the disappointment of 'my' player or players not getting drafting. And it's pretty pointless, I think, to declare a draft a success or a failure the day it happens.

The only 'Iwanna' I've allowed myself this year is if Dan Cody is drafted later than 15th and he's not in R&G, I'll be slightly ticked.

keg in kc 04-20-2005 06:44 PM

Quote:

The only 'Iwanna' I've allowed myself this year is if Dan Cody is drafted later than 15th and he's not in R&G, I'll be slightly ticked.

I think odds may be better than even that you're going to be slightly ticked because of the depression issue of a few years back.

And, actually, there is one thing what would bum me out a little: trading down into the mid 20s and not ending up with Marlin Jackson. He's my one homer guy. We probably all have one or two of those. There's also probably a player or two I can't stand, that I wouldn't want to see us draft. That tends to come from some jackhole pimping a guy ad nausium, although I really can't think of who that is this year.

htismaqe 04-20-2005 06:54 PM

Quote:

Well, I'm guessing there's about a 95% chance you're going to be disappointed.

If Dan Cody is draft above 25, I'll be very surprised. Hell, he might make it out of Round 1.

Mr. Laz 04-20-2005 07:43 PM

Quote:

The Steelers allowed Law to come in after he called them and asked. There have been no visits after that.

I listened to their "Bob Gretz" on the radio last night and he said Law will not be back to Pittsburgh.

if their bob gretz is anything like our bob gretz then you can wipe your @ss with that prediction and get more use out of it.

htismaqe 04-20-2005 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
if their bob gretz is anything like our bob gretz then you can wipe your @ss with that prediction and get more use out of it.

His relationship to the team is more like Bob Gretz, but he's more like Soren Petro.

LiL stumppy 04-20-2005 08:41 PM

Quote:

After hearing all the draft speculation and watching this season of free agency, I can be fairly confident that things aren't going to be done the way I would do them. That leads me to believe that I'm going to have to prepare myself for the eventual feeling of being kicked in the junk at the end of this weekend. What would Carl have to do in the draft/around the draft to cause you to go completely ballistic?

If we draft like we usally do.

OmahaChief 04-20-2005 08:51 PM

I think what would set me off more then anything is drafting another effin fullback and TE with out 5th and 6th rounders. We waste picks every year on these positions and I am so tired of it.

Combine those picks with taking the normal "reach" pick in the second and I will blow a fuse. Hell I am blowing a fuse just thinking about how bad our draft will be becuase the have no clue how to evaluate talent.

Hey let's take a saftey that has no cover skills and make him a CB. Sounds like a winner! I sure hope we can find the next Omar Easy or Billy Baber in this draft! Ahh eff it. Screw you Carl and Lynn Stiles!

Archie Bunker 04-20-2005 09:42 PM

Lets see...

Taking any of these players in the 1st

Erasmus "Jones" James
Matt Jones
Troy Williamson
PacMan Jones(if Rogers or Jackson is available)
Khalif Barnes
Travis Johnson
Alex Smith

Drafting a WR, RB, or TE in the first 3 rds if there is clearly more talented LBs, DEs, or CBs available.

Surtain would be a bonus but I would meltdown prior to the draft if that fell through.