ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Clayton said (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119137)

Ninjaman 07-08-2005 01:40 AM

Clayton said

said that the Chiefs are still interested in Law.

He said he's looking better athletically and one other team is interested but not at the 4 mill that he wants.

I don't get it. Thought Law wasn't interested.

Clayton not doing the research ?

Rausch 07-08-2005 01:42 AM

It's throw-me-a-bone season as far as NFL beat writers go...

regald 07-08-2005 01:52 AM

I think Clayton does his research. It's also sorta a dead week for the NFL, maybe the most dead its ever been but it'll get full blown once training camp starts and heads on to the season.

Ty Law wants someone to show him the money. He'd go to KC if they showed him it, he likes Vermeil supposedly.

trndobrd 07-08-2005 02:52 AM

Ty Law is to Chiefs

as

Corvette is to 16 year old with paper route

Red Dawg 07-08-2005 04:44 AM

No chance. We need our cash for draft picks. DJ has not signed.

HemiEd 07-08-2005 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy

agreed

Marco Polo 07-08-2005 06:32 AM

Draft picks are in a different salary cap

tomahawk kid 07-08-2005 06:35 AM

Down to 1 other team, huh?

Maybe I'll ammend my prediction that Law will end up in KC. I STILL doubt that he takes the minimum though.

tomahawk kid 07-08-2005 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Polo
Draft picks are in a different salary cap

I thought that most teams "alotted" for rookie salaries in the overall Salary cap via a pool, but not in an entirely different cap altogether.

Am I in error?

Ralphy Boy 07-08-2005 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomahawk kid
I thought that most teams "alotted" for rookie salaries in the overall Salary cap via a pool, but not in an entirely different cap altogether.

Am I in error?

I think you are right.

Sparhawk 07-08-2005 07:25 AM

I really don't see Law coming here but wouldn't it be a nice suprise?

Kylo Ren 07-08-2005 07:42 AM

It's down to us and one other team? That's hard to believe.

LINK?

alpha_omega 07-08-2005 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther_Fan
It's down to us and one other team? That's hard to believe.

LINK?

It was on Sportscenter this morning.
They asked him where he thought Law would land...
What Clayton said...was...

Jacksonville #1
KC #2...

and a bunch of others that will only offer minimum.

Shag 07-08-2005 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega
It was on Sportscenter this morning.
They asked him where he thought Law would land...
What Clayton said...was...

Jacksonville #1
KC #2...

and a bunch of others that will only offer minimum.

I just saw that as well, so I can confirm. Clayton said he's looking for $4M, but didn't think he'd get it. Said Jax has the best shot, then the Chiefs...

htismaqe 07-08-2005 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag
I just saw that as well, so I can confirm. Clayton said he's looking for $4M, but didn't think he'd get it. Said Jax has the best shot, then the Chiefs...

Law is getting more reasonable by the hour. First it was wanting to be the highest-paid CB in the league, and then it was "if they can't afford Surtain they can't afford me". Then he said $6M and now it's $4M.

We can get this deal done.

KCTitus 07-08-2005 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
...We can get this deal done.

I highly doubt it.

htismaqe 07-08-2005 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus
I highly doubt it.

Well, a $4M 1-year deal is pretty small. It depends on whether he wants base salary or SB. You can do a 1-year with a 2-year option, load up the SB, and work it out.

tyton75 07-08-2005 09:21 AM

Whoever brings up "law to KC" possibilities is just like that chick in high school who would tickle your wang for 30 minutes but then stop and say she had to go home

.. the Bitch!

KCTitus 07-08-2005 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
Well, a $4M 1-year deal is pretty small. It depends on whether he wants base salary or SB. You can do a 1-year with a 2-year option, load up the SB, and work it out.

I think we can both agree that it would be in SB. No way he's going to take a contact where the base is 4M which is not guranteed.

KCChiefsMan 07-08-2005 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy

I'm gonna predict that DJ will sign on September 29, 2005.

donkhater 07-08-2005 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan

He may not be the only one. Anyone else notice that it is July 8th and NO first rounders are signed?

RedThat 07-08-2005 09:32 AM

Quote:

no

KCTitus 07-08-2005 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater
He may not be the only one. Anyone else notice that it is July 8th and NO first rounders are signed?

July 8th is not the week before TC starts...they'll begin to sign as TC gets closer with a flurry days before camp.

htismaqe 07-08-2005 09:35 AM

Quote:

That's so stupid it's actually funny.

Gav Daddy 07-08-2005 09:38 AM

dj will sign before the 29th of sept...

carl only has it out for mormon's. LOL!!!!

RedThat 07-08-2005 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyton75
Whoever brings up "law to KC" possibilities is just like that chick in high school who would tickle your wang for 30 minutes but then stop and say she had to go home

.. the Bitch!

ROFL thats funny

Coogs 07-08-2005 11:31 AM

Saw a bit on the local sports the other night that said the Chiefs really want Law. If it happens, Warfield would be moved to the nickel and McCleon would be shown the door.

Works for me! :toast:

TRing 07-08-2005 11:39 AM

At the moment, how much money does McCleon make?? There are ways around the salary cap for a given year. the question is do we want to screw ourselves in years later.

RedThat 07-08-2005 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs
Saw a bit on the local sports the other night that said the Chiefs really want Law. If it happens, Warfield would be moved to the nickel and McCleon would be shown the door.

Works for me! :toast:

which station are you referring to?

Dave Lane 07-08-2005 01:02 PM

We have 3.5 million in cap space AFTER the rookie pool allotment. Why is it we can't sign him? Someone please explain because to me we are positioned perfectly to do so.

Dave

tyton75 07-08-2005 01:05 PM

quit teasing me!

tomahawk kid 07-08-2005 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane
We have 3.5 million in cap space AFTER the rookie pool allotment. Why is it we can't sign him? Someone please explain because to me we are positioned perfectly to do so.

Dave

Are you sure that's NET of the rookie pool?

Crush 07-08-2005 02:00 PM

I bet that golden ticket makes Ty Law terrible.

Coogs 07-08-2005 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBull
which station are you referring to?

NBC and 38 sports spot.

mcan 07-08-2005 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus
I think we can both agree that it would be in SB. No way he's going to take a contact where the base is 4M which is not guranteed.

The only way a base salary is NOT guarenteed is if he gets cut from the team. But, once he makes the team, he gets his money. So he could most definately sign a one year deal for a total of four million, and if Lamar is short on actual cash, he could get any amount of it as a signing bonus and the rest throughout the season (as the revenue starts coming in).

There IS one possibility that few have mentioned where the contract could be structured as a minimum salary, and the 4 million could be written in as a "likely to be earned" bonus for starting so many games or for being on the field for so many plays. Those are not "guarenteed" per-say, but are easily attainable if he is fully recovered. That kind of contract he probably would not sign, but it could be in the Chiefs' best interests to offer something like that. A healthy Ty Law at 4 mil is a fantastic deal.

Lastly, the rookie pool is counted in with the total salary cap number ALREADY. When somebody says "the Chiefs are 2 million dollars under the cap," I believe that number is already including the numbers that all the rookies will eventually sign for, since that rookie number is pre determined.

mcan 07-08-2005 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane

Dave

Perfect. Sign him to a two year deal. Give him a 3.3 million dollar signing bonus and the vet minimum (I think that's 700K). There's your 4 million. Make next years base salary 4 million. His cap number will only be 2 million and change this year, and then we can cut him and take a 1.65 million cap hit next year, or keep him on the roster for 4 million (and a cap number of 5.65 million). Pretty reasonable for Ty Law.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-08-2005 05:50 PM

The longer this thing holds out, the more I think we'll surprise a bunch of people and sign him.

That, and I think Warfield, at the maximum, will be suspended just 2 games.

Cannibal 07-08-2005 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyton75

.. the Bitch!

ROFL She is a bitch isn't she?

Wouldn't even let ya bust a nut with a handy.

Chiefs Pantalones 07-08-2005 05:59 PM

We should know more in 48 hours, btw.

RedThat 07-08-2005 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special Ed

interesting
:hmmm:

what makes ya say that?

Pants 07-08-2005 06:04 PM

OK, how much is Warfield making? I know it's not a small sum, is it worth paying a nickle so much money?

RedThat 07-08-2005 06:06 PM

Quote:

never mind i'm a dumbass..lol...i catch on to what your saying, this is gonna be like another Ed Hartwell situation

RedThat 07-08-2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike
OK, how much is Warfield making? I know it's not a small sum, is it worth paying a nickle so much money?

warfield is making 3.3 million dollars this year

Chiefs Pantalones 07-08-2005 06:10 PM

Quote:

IMO, I don't think Warfield is worth that much and he should be thanking Carl for his stupidity. He's a decent #2 CB, but an 80% Law would be better, IMO. Warfield would be a great nickle though.

Pants 07-08-2005 06:11 PM

Quote:

That's what I'm saying, I'm happy with Surtain/Warfield duo and would rather not see the Chiefs tie that much money into one position.

mcan 07-08-2005 06:26 PM

Quote:

IMO, I don't think Warfield is worth that much and he should be thanking Carl for his stupidity. He's a decent #2 CB, but an 80% Law would be better, IMO. Warfield would be a great nickle though.

Corners are expensive. That's all there is to it. And a nickle corner can be on the field quite a bit. The reasons not to sign Law should not have anything to do with Warfield's salary, IMO. It should purely be a cost/benifit analysis with TY. Is he worth four million dollars? Probably. Do we have that kind of money to spend? Probably not. Can we make it work? Probably. Is it worth the risk of using the last of our cap dollars for a guy who might not be completely recovered? Probably not...

RedThat 07-08-2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

oh i agree with you...warfield isn't worth his salary..i think he's worth 2 million.
Having Law and Surtain, is like bringing back the days when we saw James Hasty and Dale Carter. :drool:

RedThat 07-08-2005 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike
That's what I'm saying, I'm happy with Surtain/Warfield duo and would rather not see the Chiefs tie that much money into one position.

i would...i would love to see another james hasty, dale carter tandem. Warfield is nowhere close to what those corners were. I'm not happy with Surtain/Warfield..i'll tell ya why, it is teams like indy that's why. when we have to face Harrison, Stokley, and Wayne, I'm not excited to the challenge of lining up Surtain, Warfield, and Ambrose. If it's Law, Surtain, and Warfield against that trio, it's a completely different story. If it's Law, Surtain, Warfield every week, I'm not afraid of anybody we face.

*btw, Law owns Harrison

Chiefs Pantalones 07-08-2005 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan
Corners are expensive. That's all there is to it. And a nickle corner can be on the field quite a bit. The reasons not to sign Law should not have anything to do with Warfield's salary, IMO. It should purely be a cost/benifit analysis with TY. Is he worth four million dollars? Probably. Do we have that kind of money to spend? Probably not. Can we make it work? Probably. Is it worth the risk of using the last of our cap dollars for a guy who might not be completely recovered? Probably not...

We haven't been to the Super Bowl in over 30 years. We haven't won a playoff game in like 13 years. Ty Law is worth it. I'm not saying he will be the final piece of the puzzle, but wow. We can't go into the season with our cap not filled up, it would be foolish. And what better way to spend the last dollars than on Law? If the Chiefs really want him, they can make it work. There is always a way. I have no doubts that Law will be back to his old pro bowl self.

I just hope we get him. :)

regald 07-08-2005 07:21 PM

You still need to sign Johnson and he's not a push over either. You just signed one of the most, if not the most, praised defensive players in this draft.

You're signing alot of guys that cost alot of money. If you're going to take the cake you might as well eat it too, I'll give up the gay ice cream (Eric Warfield) for extra presents (Ty Law -Super Bowl)

mcan 07-08-2005 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regald
I'll give up the gay ice cream (Eric Warfield) for extra presents (Ty Law -Super Bowl)

I give out rep for any and all metaphors that I don't understand...

Rausch 07-08-2005 07:42 PM

Quote:

I give out rep for any and all metaphors that I don't understand...

Life is like a box of chocolate ants...

mcan 07-08-2005 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch
Life is like a box of chocolate ants...

You know... It kinda is. You look at life and you think. Ahh shit, now I've got THIS to deal with. But if you look close enough, it's actually kinda sweet.

I just don't get how ICE CREAM can be GAY, and what that has to do with Eric Warfield.... :shake:

ExtremeChief 07-08-2005 08:04 PM

Quote:

You know... It kinda is. You look at life and you think. Ahh shit, now I've got THIS to deal with. But if you look close enough, it's actually kinda sweet.

I just don't get how ICE CREAM can be GAY :shake:

two words my friend...

Lesbian Cows

Rausch 07-08-2005 08:05 PM

Quote:

I just don't get how ICE CREAM can be GAY, and what that has to do with Eric Warfield.... :shake:

http://www.gaylea.com/foodservice/fo...eicecream.html

I'm just here to help...

htismaqe 07-08-2005 08:10 PM

Quote:

Perfect. Sign him to a two year deal. Give him a 3.3 million dollar signing bonus and the vet minimum (I think that's 700K). There's your 4 million. Make next years base salary 4 million. His cap number will only be 2 million and change this year, and then we can cut him and take a 1.65 million cap hit next year, or keep him on the roster for 4 million (and a cap number of 5.65 million). Pretty reasonable for Ty Law.

:clap:

mcan 07-08-2005 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch

That's freaking hysterical. You gotta love the internet man. You can literally find ANYTHING. I'd give you rep, but I just did.

HemiEd 07-08-2005 08:17 PM

Quote:

That's freaking hysterical. You gotta love the internet man. You can literally find ANYTHING. I'd give you rep, but I just did.

I did to, ROFL

Caseykid 07-08-2005 08:29 PM

The reason I'd like to see the Chiefs add Law is because of the real possiblity that Surtain could go down to an injury. Then the situation at corner could be even worse than last year with the Warfield suspension looming. Having Law, Surtain, and Warfield along with McCleon (possibly), Ambrose, Sapp and Hodge would give the Chiefs alot of depth and more importantly, TALENT, at the CB position.

JMO.