ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Big Charlies Saloon in South Philly (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=121287)

teedubya 08-10-2005 08:29 PM

Big Charlies Saloon in South Philly

I was watching the 2003 Chiefs DVD...

and they had a feature about Big Charlies Saloon. Great piece... huge fans of the Chiefs, and they grew up and live in Philadelphia. Unreal.

I am wondering if anyone has been there, and... if anyone from Philly who goes there, posts on ChiefsPlanet??

Next time in Philly, Im definitely heading there for a beer!

Quote:

NFL Flims Presents: "Big Charlie's Saloon"
Apr 29, 2004, 3:52:00 AM
April 29, 2004 (morning)--Nestled in the heart of South Philadelphia, Big Charlie’s is a bar that houses not Philadelphia Eagles fans, but Kansas City Chiefs fans. NFL Films brings Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil and his coaching staff to Big Charlie’s to surprise die-hard Chiefs fans that live in Philadelphia. Originally released as a segment of NFL Films Presents, Big Charlie’s garnered the first Sports Emmy award for the fledgling NFL Network, which became the youngest network ever to win the prestigious gold trophy.

The NFL Network will celebrated its six-month anniversary on May 4. With the release of the 2004 playing schedule last week, exclusive coverage from inside the NFL Annual Meetings earlier in the month, the first-ever nightly access to the NFL Scouting Combine in February, and NFL Total Access, the nightly show of record for NFL news, NFL viewers have been provided insight never seen before.

jspchief 08-10-2005 08:33 PM

Doesn't a certain midget psychopath go there?

tk13 08-10-2005 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali Chi3fs
I am wondering if anyone has been there, and... if anyone from Philly who goes there, posts on ChiefsPlanet??

ROFL There's a loaded question.

Chiefnj 08-10-2005 08:38 PM

It's probably best not to open this can of worms again.

Mr. Kotter 08-10-2005 08:40 PM

Travis....do a search for JD Prez, and visit www.nepachiefs.com

Then let it drop. :shake:

Dartgod 08-10-2005 08:40 PM

Phil's cell phone just started ringing. ROFL

teedubya 08-10-2005 09:01 PM

damn, there is an inside joke I am missing. heh.

anyway, the piece seemed pretty cool... nice to see Philly fans lovin the Chiefs. Too bad one of them is a bad seed, I guess.

Dartgod 08-10-2005 09:03 PM

Quote:

Too bad one of them is a bad seed, I guess.

That's probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said about him.

teedubya 08-10-2005 09:16 PM

i see.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=18914

sounds like a total chode... he loves himself and is full of himself.

Funny, went to his board... 166 members. ROFL

jspchief 08-10-2005 09:18 PM

Quote:

Funny, went to his board... 166 members. ROFL

You think that's funny, try and register and see the e-mail you get.

Skip Towne 08-10-2005 09:20 PM

We don't much like him.

teedubya 08-10-2005 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
You think that's funny, try and register and see the e-mail you get.

yeah, hard to build a community when the president has to review your application to see if you are a worthy NEPA.

jspchief 08-10-2005 09:26 PM

Quote:

yeah, hard to build a community when the president has to review your application to see if you are a worthy NEPA.

Actually, don't try and register. It will just kick up a hornets nest. I'm sorry I even mentioned it.

Deberg_1990 08-10-2005 09:29 PM

Yea i saw that piece on the NFL Network about a year or so ago......seems like a pretty cool place to go check out if im ever in Philly.

milkman 08-10-2005 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
Yea i saw that piece on the NFL Network about a year or so ago......seems like a pretty cool place to go check out if im ever in Philly.

Just tell 'em that you're a planeteer and a friend of Phil's.
I'm sure you'll be warmly received.

Ultra Peanut 08-10-2005 09:37 PM

Quote:

ROFL

teedubya 08-10-2005 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psicosis
ROFL

HEY SCREW YOU!! :cuss:

KChiefs1 08-10-2005 09:52 PM

I guess I'm outta touch or just a noob, but what is this whole thing about?

I saw the piece on the Philly fans & thought it was great!

Mr. Kotter 08-10-2005 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1
I guess I'm outta touch or just a noob, but what is this whole thing about?

I saw the piece on the Philly fans & thought it was great!

Long story made short:

Por lo que sé ... un Alegre narcisista psycho el enano dirige la barra y el bordo. Él tiene el complejo napoleónico y sufre de ilusiones de granduer, por ejemplo él cree que él está casado con la hermana gemela de Pamela Anderson. Él y algunos asesores y los miembros del este bordo entraron en una competición de fight/argument/pissing grande, y él fue prohibido del bordo aquí. Él llamó ciertos miembros de este bordo en medio de la noche con amenazas psicóticas, e intentó joder por otra parte con sus vidas. Creo que se requirió que la intervención de aplicación de la ley resolviera la materia.

Leí esto en la pared de cuarto de baño en el partido de Joe el año pasado de todos modos .... heh.

C-Mac 08-10-2005 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

damn, there is an inside joke I am missing. heh.

anyway, the piece seemed pretty cool... nice to see Philly fans lovin the Chiefs. Too bad one of them is a bad seed, I guess.

I did the same thing unknowingly last year.........with the same result.
:shake:

go bo 08-10-2005 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter
Long story made short:

Por lo que sé ... un Alegre narcisista psycho el enano dirige la barra y el bordo. Él tiene el complejo napoleónico y sufre de ilusiones de granduer, por ejemplo él cree que él está casado con la hermana gemela de Pamela Anderson. Él y algunos asesores y los miembros del este bordo entraron en una competición de fight/argument/pissing grande, y él fue prohibido del bordo aquí. Él llamó ciertos miembros de este bordo en medio de la noche con amenazas psicóticas, e intentó joder por otra parte con sus vidas. Creo que se requirió que la intervención de aplicación de la ley resolviera la materia.

Leí esto en la pared de cuarto de baño en el partido de Joe el año pasado de todos modos .... heh.

wow, i didn't know you speak french...

BigRedChief 08-11-2005 06:23 AM

Quote:

I was watching the 2003 Chiefs DVD...

and they had a feature about Big Charlies Saloon. Great piece... huge fans of the Chiefs, and they grew up and live in Philadelphia. Unreal.

Next time in Philly, Im definitely heading there for a beer!

Better not mention you visit other Chief sites or its late night hang up calls for you.

Bob Dole 08-11-2005 06:35 AM

Bob Dole makes a point to go to Big Charlie's every time he visits Philly.

Phobia 08-11-2005 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief
Better not mention you visit other Chief sites or its late night hang up calls for you.

Hang up calls? That would have been a welcomed change of pace. It was the heavy breathing and moaning that really bothered me. I think the guy really, really liked me.

BigRedChief 08-11-2005 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Hang up calls? That would have been a welcomed change of pace. It was the heavy breathing and moaning that really bothered me. I think the guy really, really liked me.

He must have thought it was your better half. But you did seem to get him all hot and bothered for you. After meeting you I can see how people would have that reaction to you.:harumph:

Bob Dole 08-11-2005 06:44 AM

If anyone makes the journey, be sure to try the NEPA cheese.

ROYC75 08-11-2005 07:07 AM

If I ever make the trip, I'll probally leave a big crushing blow from a hugh right hand............

BTA, I could always drop my pants and shit on his counter.

Phone calls, all I ever got was the dropped / blank phone calls........not enough nerve to speak to me. He does a better imitation of a worm than Johnny Morton does.

c718333 09-18-2005 11:43 PM

The guy everyone is referring to has only been at Big Charlie's once in the three years that I've been going there (I think). The one time I've seen him (and I've only missed one or two games) was when part of the NFL Films piece was being shot on a Monday night.

Don't let that guy reflect negatively on Big Charie's. It rocks. I don't even know of any bars in KC that match the atmosphere of Big Charlie's.

MNchief 04-20-2006 11:14 PM

Serious question -- Is there a problem with visiting Big Charlie's in Philly

I'm headed to Philly for work in a few weeks, and I thought about checking it out.

I just joined, and can't figure out the search functionality on the board here (keeps telling me I'm < 4 words and it won't search...).

Thus, I can't get the backstory on the problems with Big Charlie's Saloon. Anyone able to enlighten me?

Ebolapox 04-20-2006 11:19 PM

ROFL

their hardcore, bro. Watch out or they'll knock yuor teeth out, bro.

MNchief 04-20-2006 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1
ROFL

their hardcore, bro. Watch out or they'll knock yuor teeth out, bro.

A few more questions, if you'd permit --

Have you been there?
Is it not a cool place to check out?
Do you need an invite?
Do I show up in Chiefs gear?
What was the nature of the bad blood on here?

big nasty kcnut 04-20-2006 11:32 PM

Mn well it's a old fued worth not talking about and if you want to go fine. I think you just go as you are cause it seem to me the everybody welcome there. Just don't mention chiefs planet ok.

Phobia 04-20-2006 11:35 PM

There is no back story on Big Charlies. As far as we know, that place is cool. There is a back story on an individual who purports to be affiliated with Big Charlies. That has yet to have been verified by anyone. If you're going to Philly, you should check out Big Charlies. I don't know how you're going to find it though. They don't appear to be listed anywhere.

Mr. Kotter 04-20-2006 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNchief
I'm headed to Philly for work in a few weeks, and I thought about checking it out.

I just joined, and can't figure out the search functionality on the board here (keeps telling me I'm < 4 words and it won't search...).

Thus, I can't get the backstory on the problems with Big Charlie's Saloon. Anyone able to enlighten me?

One word:

Psychos

:shake:

VonneMarie 04-20-2006 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcnut
Mn well it's a old fued worth not talking about and if you want to go fine. I think you just go as you are cause it seem to me the everybody welcome there. Just don't mention chiefs planet ok.

Ok. ROFL

Ebolapox 04-20-2006 11:37 PM

nut hit it on the head... basically, not really worth talking about (it's a load of stupidity essentially)

let's just say...if you see a short bald guy driving a tauras with an obviously sunburnt lady, don't stop to wave hi unless yuor peppered two half ur teeff knawked awt, bro!!

Phobia 04-20-2006 11:38 PM

You can mention ChiefsPlanet if you wish. I'm sure you'll be fine.

MNchief 04-20-2006 11:41 PM

Thanks all.

Not looking to stir up old news or trouble. Just looking for advice. Appreciate the thread replies.

On a different subject, looks like this might be the last year at River Falls... so I recommend coming up, having a few brews, hit some of the local golf courses, and seeing camp up close and personal.

Ebolapox 04-20-2006 11:42 PM

eh, I imagine they'll move it closer to KC if so--thus, a far easier trip for me

MNchief 04-21-2006 01:10 AM

I'm sure moving closer to KC will be better for most of ChiefsNation. But, I think:

a) it's good to go where comforts and the familiar aren't the norm, and

b) River Falls is far enough away from the big city (Mpls/St Paul) that the players only get into trouble on long weekends, or when bouncers get a little fiesty with kickers.

I'll be sad to see camp moved back to Liberty or closer to KC. But then again, I live in MN, so it's way more convenient for me.

Rausch 04-21-2006 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole
If anyone makes the journey, be sure to try the NEPA cheese.

I have no problems doing so.

But if some fans decide to segment themselves some fans should consider past criminal histories and charges that might compromise their ability to walk amongst free men should they relapse...

MNchief 04-21-2006 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch
I have no problems doing so.

But if some fans decide to segment themselves some fans should consider past criminal histories and charges that might compromise their ability to walk amongst free men should they relapse...

Sorry, don't follow?
Sounds like you'd be cool visiting Big Charlies?

Rausch 04-21-2006 01:56 AM

Quote:

Sorry, don't follow?
Sounds like you'd be cool visiting Big Charlies?

I have no problem getting along with anyone.

Despite my BB gruffness I'm not an argumentative type...

jspchief 04-21-2006 06:46 AM

I'm sure Big Charlies won't be fun. Not because of any one individual, but rather because 99% of the Philadelphia population are assholes.

I can't imagine how inssufferable a Philly asshole that had his ego stroked by NFL Films would be.

burt 04-21-2006 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia

Sorry, that was actually me......

Bob Dole 04-21-2006 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch
I have no problem getting along with anyone.

Despite my BB gruffness I'm not an argumentative type...

****ing liar.

burt 04-21-2006 07:50 AM

Quote:

No history needed. Big Charlies is allegedly full of Chiefs fans....sorta heaven on the East Coast. I would never visit Philly without checking out Big Charlies. I've had the obligatory phone calls.....but that is history....and nothing should reflect negatively on Big Charlies.

Mr. Kotter 06-19-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Mercer
No history needed. Big Charlies is allegedly full of Chiefs fans....sorta heaven on the East Coast. I would never visit Philly without checking out Big Charlies. I've had the obligatory phone calls.....but that is history....and nothing should reflect negatively on Big Charlies.

An east coast buddy of mine went to Big Charlie's a couple of months ago. After a few, he started lipping off about JD's wife.....I guess he got booted. Heh.

dtebbe 06-19-2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
I'm sure Big Charlies won't be fun. Not because of any one individual, but rather because 99% of the Philadelphia population are assholes.

I can't imagine how inssufferable a Philly asshole that had his ego stroked by NFL Films would be.

Worse than Phobia? ROFL

chagrin 06-20-2006 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ROFL

who are these two?

Monkeylook4food 06-20-2006 10:17 AM

Those guys own the place.

chagrin 06-20-2006 10:28 AM

The word Jabroni comes to mind

Anthony Mizzoni...too funny.

"Hey Baby, I lost my numba, can have you-ahs??"

PHILLYSCREEN 03-20-2008 06:07 PM

Big Charlies

I been going to Big Charlie's since i was 12. I am a real regular. I consider the owner my uncle and he considers me his nephew. It is a great bar. I also print t shirts for the bar. I will be happy to take in any questions about it. I could also send anyone a t shirt if you want.

Braincase 03-20-2008 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILLYSCREEN (Post 4641531)
I been going to Big Charlie's since i was 12. I am a real regular. I consider the owner my uncle and he considers me his nephew. It is a great bar. I also print t shirts for the bar. I will be happy to take in any questions about it. I could also send anyone a t shirt if you want.

Welcome to Chiefs Planet, where misery loves company, and Missouri hates Kansas.

PHILLYSCREEN 03-20-2008 06:24 PM

lol thanks for the welcome. once and a while I google the bars name to see how the word of mouth is growing. I like the broad so far.

KcMizzou 03-20-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILLYSCREEN (Post 4641573)
lol thanks for the welcome. once and a while I google the bars name to see how the word of mouth is growing. I like the broad so far.

Don't call her a broad, you'll get further.

Welcome. :toast:

dtebbe 03-20-2008 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 4641553)
Welcome to Chiefs Planet, where misery loves company, and Missouri hates Kansas.

ROFL Very well put! Friggin Jayhawk scum....

DT

Chest Rockwell 03-20-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin (Post 3269411)
ROFL

who are these two?

Roger Clemens and Lou Ferrigno?

Davechief 03-20-2008 07:00 PM

One of my employees is a Eagles fan. We attended the Eagles/Chiefs game in 2005 at Arrowhead and are hoping to attend the next in meeting in Philly in 2009. We are planning on making Charlie's part of the trip.

PHILLYSCREEN 03-20-2008 08:01 PM

my fault is the philly slang.....yea dave stop by I'll make sure your have a great time you can check out the emmy from the nfl films story.....the two are the owners ant and paul

eazyb81 03-20-2008 08:02 PM

I wanted to go when I was in Philly last month, but I ended up getting drunk, going to Geno's, and then passing out.

Phobia 03-20-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILLYSCREEN (Post 4641906)
my fault is the philly slang.....yea dave stop by I'll make sure your have a great time you can check out the emmy from the nfl films story.....the two are the owners ant and paul

So, do you know the psycho midget who keeps calling my phone at all hours? Why can't that freak just let it go?

KcMizzou 03-20-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4642106)
So, do you know the psycho midget who keeps calling my phone at all hours? Why can't that freak just let it go?

All kidding aside... that doesn't still happen, does it?

Phobia 03-20-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4642114)
All kidding aside... that doesn't still happen, does it?

Hasn't in several months - until this afternoon. Strange timing with the bump of this thread, no?

KCChiefsMan 03-20-2008 10:20 PM

oh God, please don't remind me of that psycho.

Phobia 03-20-2008 10:21 PM

Sorry dude.

teedubya 03-21-2008 12:07 AM

G.D. U J.D.!!? :cuss:

Ultra Peanut 03-21-2008 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHILLYSCREEN (Post 4641531)

Do you have any pets?

Are you an alcoholic?

What is your favorite dance fad of the past twenty years?

PECOTA or ZIPS?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4641596)
Don't call her a broad, you'll get further.

Welcome. :toast:

They kill clean, don't let dames get in the way!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4642144)
Hasn't in several months - until this afternoon. Strange timing with the bump of this thread, no?

Holy Christ.

PHILLYSCREEN 03-26-2008 03:29 PM

I never seen a midget in the bar ever....you went to the wrong saloon....next time stay of south street.[/I]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut (Post 4642344)
Do you have any pets?

Are you an alcoholic?

What is your favorite dance fad of the past twenty years?

PECOTA or ZIPS?

They kill clean, don't let dames get in the way!

Holy Christ.

No pets.

I not an alcoholic..... I binge drink once and a while like every college kid

there are so many dance fad to choose from, I don't know.

I have no idea what you talk about in the last question.

Braincase 03-26-2008 03:43 PM

I dare you to yell "Hey Baldy" and see who sues you.

PhillyChiefFan 03-26-2008 06:53 PM

Just moved to Philadelphia last year and everyone has told me about it. I'm going this year with my Johnson jersey, I hear that there are a lot of Chief fans that go there from the area all the time.

Skip Towne 03-26-2008 06:55 PM

Isn't American Hero from Philly?

yhf 10-06-2010 10:07 PM

I am going to be in Philly this Sunday and I would like to catch the game at Big Charlies if possible. Problem is, I don't even know if they are still open and I can't find a phone number for 'em (even tried 411). Bumping this thoroughly confusing thread is my last resort. I would greatly appreciate a response from anyone with applicable info.

Sorry for dirtying the Lounge with this noob horseshit and thanks in advance.

Bugeater 10-06-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yhf (Post 7067322)
I am going to be in Philly this Sunday and I would like to catch the game at Big Charlies if possible. Problem is, I don't even know if they are still open and I can't find a phone number for 'em (even tried 411). Bumping this thoroughly confusing thread is my last resort. I would greatly appreciate a response from anyone with applicable info.

Sorry for dirtying the Lounge with this noob horseshit and thanks in advance.

Hmmm...this is an odd thread, it even predates my CP membership. Try sending PhillyChiefFan a PM, I think he still gets on here regularly.

yhf 10-06-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7067343)
Hmmm...this is an odd thread, it even predates my CP membership. Try sending PhillyChiefFan a PM, I think he still gets on here regularly.

Many thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Phobia 10-06-2010 11:35 PM

Great. Now I'm going to start getting phone calls again. Thanks a lot.

teedubya 10-06-2010 11:39 PM

It's always nice seeing an Ari Chi3fs thread bump. That guy is and genious.

Chiefburger 10-06-2010 11:52 PM

Big Charlie's Saloon is still rocking at 11th & Mckean. I don't know the number -- or whether Charlie has a phone even -- but I know it has a page on facebook. Weird but true, Philly has a good share of Chiefs fans.

Oh, and go PHILLIES!

teedubya 10-07-2010 12:12 AM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6460522_n.jpg

2112 10-07-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 7067483)
It's always nice seeing an Ari Chi3fs thread bump. That guy is and genious.

Ari lost his burst long ago. I think SHTSPRAYER is an Ari dupe account. yes, another Ari dupe account..lol..Ari was a big cheese at one time ;)