ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Tatum Bell vs. Larry Johnson (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=126668)

Taco John 10-16-2005 06:08 PM

Tatum Bell vs. Larry Johnson

Who's better?

Hammock Parties 10-16-2005 06:11 PM

Hard to say, let's see how Bell does now that's he's seeing more action this year.

Teams running over the Patriots is nothing new.

listopencil 10-16-2005 06:14 PM

I don't know, but Champ Bailey + Tatum Bell is better than Clinton Portis.

CupidStunt 10-16-2005 06:15 PM

Both have put it on the ground, both are big-play guys, both run behind sweet O-lines (though KC's is far worse at the moment, or at least has been the past 3 weeks).

Doing it against JAX is good for Bell, but NE is nothing to boast about. LJ did it against NY (better rush D than any team Bell has faced) but has been up and down since.

LJ produced last year, too. Big time. Bell?

I'll take LJ for now. I haven't seen Bell get the tough yards though he is certainly as much of a home-run threat.

|Zach| 10-16-2005 06:16 PM

Not sure, I think they are both good.

I question Bell's ability to put in a quality 16 game season. Not really saying he CAN'T do it. But if I was a Bronco fan it would be in the back of mind. If he would have enough gas to make things happen when I need him.

Deberg_1990 10-16-2005 06:16 PM

You cant really compare the two. LJ doesnt get enough carries to make a fair judgement. Portis still looks a hell of alot better than Bell will ever be.

cdcox 10-16-2005 06:16 PM

Toss up right now. Both playing the change of pace role. Both have about 6 yds per carry. Both have fumble concerns.

Johnson seems more durable as an every down back. I think if Johnson were playing in Denver, he beats our Mike Anderson for the starting role, hands down.

Hammock Parties 10-16-2005 06:17 PM

Johnson has the edge in receiving, that's for sure.

CupidStunt 10-16-2005 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
You cant really compare the two. LJ doesnt get enough carries to make a fair judgement. Portis still looks a hell of alot better than Bell will ever be.

As a Bronco, that's probably true.

As a Redskin, dude sucks.

0 TD this season. Sub-4ypc against most D's he's faced (like all last year).

Deberg_1990 10-16-2005 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |<ing
As a Bronco, that's probably true.

As a Redskin, dude sucks.

0 TD this season. Sub-4ypc against most D's he's faced (like all last year).

Hes running in the wrong system. Hes too small to be a Gibbs type of back. Hes a cutback runner, not a counter trey guy.

HolmeZz 10-16-2005 06:21 PM

Larry Johnson.

tk13 10-16-2005 06:22 PM

I don't understand where all this "he can't carry the load" criticism comes from with Bell... even Nantz and Simms brought it up. I don't get that, the guy hasn't even played a season and a half yet. They're both still pretty young into it, hard telling what the ceiling will be for either guy...

CupidStunt 10-16-2005 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
Hes running in the wrong system. Hes too small to be a Gibbs type of back. Hes a cutback runner, not a counter trey guy.

I agree, but a "great" back would succeed in any system.

Portis is a top 10 back at best.

He stumbles and bumbles WAY too much to be considered a top 5 type back. Mediocre receiver, no nose for the endzone, and a complete all-or-nothing back.

Like I said, take out the big run he'll have from time to time, and he's always getting sub-4 yards per carry. I think back to his first game last year against Tampa.

Takes the opening carry 60+ for a score and averages about 3 per the rest game.

HolmeZz 10-16-2005 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
I don't understand where all this "he can't carry the load" criticism comes from with Bell... even Nantz and Simms brought it up. I don't get that, the guy hasn't even played a season and a half yet. They're both still pretty young into it, hard telling what the ceiling will be for either guy...

I think they say they WANT to see him carry the load, not that he can't neccesarily. Part of it comes from the fact that Tatum's friggin' brittle.

Skip Towne 10-16-2005 06:39 PM

I saw Bell play several times in college. LJ is easily better.

B_Ambuehl 10-16-2005 06:45 PM

Tatum Bell = Warrick Dunn

Not identical but same type of back, same zone/crackback blocking scheme, same type of results.

Neither one of those backs would be as successful in other systems whereas someone like LJ probably wouldn't be as good in that particular system, but is better in all the other more traditional systems.

Hammock Parties 12-13-2005 09:05 PM

So much for this bullshit.

Taco Bell: 127 carries, 749 yards, 5.9 ypc 5 TDs.

Larry Johnson: 247 carries, 1,251 yards, 5.1 ypc, 14 TDs

Logical 12-13-2005 09:08 PM

I see people still fall for a good baiting, especially when TJ delivers it.ROFL

Deberg_1990 12-13-2005 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl
Tatum Bell = Warrick Dunn

Not identical but same type of back, same zone/crackback blocking scheme, same type of results.

Neither one of those backs would be as successful in other systems whereas someone like LJ probably wouldn't be as good in that particular system, but is better in all the other more traditional systems.

Exactly why Clinton Portis's YPC has dropped significantly since he left Denver. He doesnt have the same breakaway ability he did those 1st two seasons in Denver.

Skip Towne 12-13-2005 09:42 PM

I noticed Bell got a couple of nice runs against us then got stuffed several times. How big is Bell?

GreatBronco 12-13-2005 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne
I noticed Bell got a couple of nice runs against us then got stuffed several times. How big is Bell?

It's not that he started getting stuffed, Shanny went back to Anderson since he is the Vet. Bell came out smoking you guys, then Shanny has a brain fart.

Pasta Little Brioni 12-13-2005 10:49 PM

LJ is a work horse, bell is a great change of pace back. there really is no comparison.

listopencil 12-13-2005 11:14 PM

As of right now? LJ looks to me like a workhorse that runs with power plus a decent amount of speed. I'd take him over Bell.

Taco John 12-14-2005 05:23 PM

ditto.

Hammock Parties 12-14-2005 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
ditto.

People give you all kinds of crap but you are more objective than many.

jAZ 12-14-2005 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatBronco
It's not that he started getting stuffed, Shanny went back to Anderson since he is the Vet. Bell came out smoking you guys, then Shanny has a brain fart.

Is that what he did when Clinton Portis was the young buck and Mike Anderson was the Vet?

I don't remember him pulling Portis (once he appeared to have the reigns) in favor of "the Vet" Anderson just because... but I'm sure I'm mistaken.

HolmeZz 12-14-2005 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs
People give you all kinds of crap but you are more objective than many.

slurp slurp slurp gag

Hammock Parties 12-14-2005 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolmeZz
slurp slurp slurp gag

Sorry but for all the abuse he takes around here, he deserves the opposite when it is due. Only fair.

I know how he feels, believe me.

HolmeZz 12-15-2005 02:23 AM

IF YA LOVE HIM SO MUCH, WHY DON'TCHA MARRY'EM?

Pants 12-15-2005 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolmeZz
slurp slurp slurp gag

Bahahaha. Nice.

Oh Snap 12-15-2005 02:51 AM

Your on a Chiefs message board.. Who do you expect us to pick?

BigMeatballDave 12-15-2005 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad Logicslav
I see people still fall for a good baiting, especially when TJ delivers it.ROFL

You mean trolling?

Chan93lx50 12-15-2005 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John
ditto.

Funny I said the samething, the first time my wife told me she loved me!