ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   WOW some not so bad ones here (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132723)

OldTownChief 01-02-2006 02:15 PM

WOW some not so bad ones here

Sherman heads list of NFL coaches fired Monday
ESPN.com news services

Green Bay Packers: Just one day after completing the franchise's worst season since 1991, the Green Bay Packers on Monday dismissed head coach Mike Sherman.

The move, which was announced at a morning news conference, came despite the fact the Packers awarded Sherman a two-year contract extension worth about $6.4 million last summer. It also fuels speculation about the future of quarterback Brett Favre, who said several times during the season that he would not return in 2006 if Sherman was not retained by Packers officials. Story

New Orleans Saints: The season of displacement has concluded with New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson deciding his franchise needed a replacement for head coach Jim Haslett.

After weeks of requesting that he be freed from his contract, a frustrated Haslett finally was dismissed by the Saints on Monday. The two sides essentially reached a mutual agreement that Haslett would not return for 2006, the final year of his contract. Story

Houston Texans: Dom Capers has been fired as coach of the Houston Texans, who had the league's worst record this season, the players were told Monday.

Capers addressed the team at a meeting Monday morning and told players he had been let go. He was accompanied by owner Bob McNair, several players said. Story

St. Louis Rams: Mike Martz was fired as coach of the St. Louis Rams on Monday after a 6-10 season in which he missed the final 11 games because of a heart ailment.

The Rams started the season 2-3 before Martz was sidelined with an infection of the heart lining. Assistant Joe Vitt replaced him for the rest of the season, which ended Sunday with a 20-10 win over Dallas that left the team at 6-10. Story

Minnesota Vikings: Owner Zygi Wilf fired Tice after Sunday's victory over Chicago capped a disappointing 9-7 season in which the Vikings, a trendy preseason pick to go to the Super Bowl, missed the playoffs.

ROYC75 01-02-2006 02:18 PM

I want none of them in KC...........maybe Capers as DC if Gun is gone.

Predarat 01-02-2006 02:18 PM

Thank You, Roy!!!

jAZ 01-02-2006 02:18 PM

I'd be OK with Jim Haslett too... His offense in NO always sucked because his Franchise QB was never anybetter than Arron Brooks.

I'd prefer Fisher and a few other guys, but we could do a lot worse than Jim Haslett.

Brock 01-02-2006 02:20 PM

Those are all pretty bad choices, IMO. They weren't fired because they did a good job.

jidar 01-02-2006 02:22 PM

Who the **** isn't a bad choice? Last I checked Belichick and Dungy aren't leaving their franchises.

Baby Lee 01-02-2006 02:23 PM

Sherman, Tice, Martz. bad day to be a Mike.

OldTownChief 01-02-2006 02:24 PM

If we end up with Tice I'll kill myself.

jidar 01-02-2006 02:26 PM

I don't think Tice is going to be in the NFL.

Rain Man 01-02-2006 02:28 PM

Why was Haslett trying to leave? It's not like he's got a Parcellsian resume to get another job.

Frosty 01-02-2006 02:48 PM

Who in their right mind would accept the head coaching job for the Saints?

Maybe another opportunity for Gunther? :)

Mosbonian 01-02-2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock
Those are all pretty bad choices, IMO. They weren't fired because they did a good job.

Other than Joe Horn, what has Haslett had that would allow him to be successful? Aaron Brooks was about as erratic on Offense as Eric Warfield was on our Defense....

Having said that, I wouldn't mind having a guy like Haslett as an Assistant Coach.....

Dom Capers has shown that he can build a defense so having him as a DC wouldn't be all that bad....

Everyone else I wouldn't even want as an Assistant Coach.

mmaddog

Brock 01-02-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog
Other than Joe Horn, what has Haslett had that would allow him to be successful? Aaron Brooks was about as erratic on Offense as Eric Warfield was on our Defense....*******

He had Jake Delhomme and sent him packing.

mikey23545 01-02-2006 03:01 PM

Let me just say this...

Dom Capers is one <i>hell</i> of a defensive coordinator...

I'm just sayin'...

milkman 01-02-2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545
Let me just say this...

Dom Capers is one <i>hell</i> of a defensive coordinator...

I'm just sayin'...

I'd take him in KC, regardless who the HC turns out to be.

WebGem 01-02-2006 03:09 PM

Those coaches all suck.

Rain Man 01-02-2006 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog
Other than Joe Horn, what has Haslett had that would allow him to be successful?

Willie Roaf. But then he traded him for a third-round pick.

Spicy McHaggis 01-02-2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
Why was Haslett trying to leave? It's not like he's got a Parcellsian resume to get another job.

Would you want to work for Tom Benson?

memyselfI 01-02-2006 03:15 PM

Norv Turner should have been on this list yesterday. :shake:

WebGem 01-02-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI

No. I like him right where he is.

milkman 01-02-2006 03:20 PM

Quote:

Hell, we hope he remains as coach of your team forever!

memyselfI 01-02-2006 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan5840
No. I like him right where he is.

Of course. But if you want to talk unmitigated disasters then he should be the leader of the firing pack.

Baby Lee 01-02-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Of course. But if you want to talk unmitigated disasters then he should be the leader of the firing pack.

That you think that a sucky Raiders team is an 'unmitigated disaster' as opposed to 'the best sitcom running' is telling.

tk13 01-02-2006 03:40 PM

Mike Sherman's not that bad of a coach either. It'll be interesting to see where he goes I think. He had quite a bit of success in Green Bay. More than people would think. He's an offensive guy though.

Wile_E_Coyote 01-02-2006 03:41 PM

the only thing I know of Sherman is when he called out Sapp after a questionable hit. I'm sure the players loved him for it, but other than that...

siberian khatru 01-02-2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
Mike Sherman's not that bad of a coach either. It'll be interesting to see where he goes I think. He had quite a bit of success in Green Bay. More than people would think. He's an offensive guy though.

Mike Sherman had one losing season in GB -- this year. He had four straight years of 10 or more wins. He won 2 playoff games.

Iowanian 01-02-2006 03:43 PM

I think it would be just terrible if the Falcons were disappointed to the point of letting Mora Jr go.

siberian khatru 01-02-2006 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
I think it would be just terrible if the Falcons were disappointed to the point of letting Mora Jr go.

You want him hanging up on Len Dawson in the postgame and hitting Bob Gretz with flying microphones?

shaneo69 01-02-2006 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13

Yeah, if he had that kind of success in KC, Carl would've given him a 10 year extension instead of a pink slip.

Iowanian 01-02-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru
You want him hitting Bob Gretz with flying microphones?

make that a crow bar and I'll chip in for the plane ticket.

tk13 01-02-2006 03:48 PM

Yeah I think the players like Sherman. I don't know. He took over Green Bay after Ray Rhodes had an 8-8 season.

Then he went 9-7, 12-4, 12-4, 10-6, 10-6, and 4-12 this year. He traded for Ahman Green, drafted Javon Walker. And it's pretty well documented how they've had to go through 8 million running backs and lost 2 of their top receivers, including Javon Walker. Kinda let that defense deteriorate though these last couple years.

Rain Man 01-02-2006 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru
Mike Sherman had one losing season in GB -- this year. He had four straight years of 10 or more wins. He won 2 playoff games.

True, but he played Chicago, Detroit, and Minnesota twice a year. It's harder to go 6-0 every year against real teams with real players.

LiL stumppy 01-02-2006 04:35 PM

I dont want Mike Martz or Tice.

siberian khatru 01-02-2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

True, but he played Chicago, Detroit, and Minnesota twice a year. It's harder to go 6-0 every year against real teams with real players.

Good point. Before this year, he was 25-9 against the NFC Norris Division.

Mosbonian 01-02-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

Willie Roaf. But then he traded him for a third-round pick.

It was either trade Willie or watch him smash Horn someday after practice...while Horn was a good receiver, I am ecstatic at the fact that we traded him off and got Roaf in return.

mmaddog

Redcoats58 01-02-2006 04:44 PM

Haslett was a good DC for the steelers, but I wouldn't want him as a head coach.

KChiefs1 01-02-2006 04:50 PM

The Bill Belichick story:

In Cleveland he revitalized the sleeping giant that was the Browns and in four seasons transformed a 3-13 team into an 11-5 Super Bowl contender. However, in 1995, Belichick was in the wrong place at the wrong time as Browns owner Art Modell decided to do the unthinkable and move the Browns to Baltimore. Modell left his coach to take much of the heat in what turned out to be his final year with the franchise. In 1996, Belichick abandoned the Browns for a reunion with Parcells, then head coach of the Patriots. Becoming the New England squad's defensive master, Belichick once again led his team to the Super Bowl as the Pats faced the Packers in New Orleans. In 1997 he followed Parcells back to New York as defensive coordinator of the Jets. Once again he proved to be a peerless strategist; the Jets made an incredible about-face and nearly made it to their second Super Bowl. His performance made him an automatic candidate for any head coaching position in the National Football League. When Patriots owner Robert Kraft fired head coach Pete Carroll at the end of the 1999 season, New England fans naturally turned their thoughts to Belichick. But his avail- ability came into question after Parcells abruptly quit, triggering a provision in Belichick's contract that automatically promoted him to head coach. With his eyes on the Patriots prize, Belichick promptly resigned the New York slot, launching the controversy that was spelled out in headlines and on TV news.When the principals, their lawyers and the NFL were finished arguing, Kraft was left with a decision: He could have Belichick for the price of a number one draft choice. Kraft ceded the draft pick and signed Belichick, boasting that he was hiring one of the best coaches in the business. "I'm very impressed with his experience," Kraft told a reporter, noting that he would not have assigned full control of the Patriots to Belichick had he not had full confidence in his abilities and his long-term commitment to the team.

memyselfI 01-02-2006 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee
That you think that a sucky Raiders team is an 'unmitigated disaster' as opposed to 'the best sitcom running' is telling.

Actually, I said the coaching has been an unmitigated disaster. I think anyone with a brain and their head out of their ass can see that a coach who takes a team one year removed from the SB to a 9-23 record in the following two years is a disaster.

Your commentary is on whether or not that disaster is a good thing is personal perspective and an entirely different matter. :rolleyes:

listopencil 01-02-2006 10:03 PM

Quote:

Actually, I think anyone with a brain and their head out of their ass can see that a coach who takes a team one year removed from the SB to a 9-23 record in the following two years is a disaster.

Not if it's the Raiders.

memyselfI 01-02-2006 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil
Not if it's the Raiders.

Of course. :)