ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   FA QB's: Brees, Harrington, McCown (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132891)

jAZ 01-04-2006 01:42 AM

FA QB's: Brees, Harrington, McCown

We need a QBOTF. I also suspect that Joey Harrington will be available. I'm also hoping that with Brees' shoulder surgery SD will not put the franchise tag on him again and let him go in the offseason.

If so, he'd now come cheaper than he otherwise would have given his risk (and the Chad Pennington experience). He's my #1 QBOTF candidate at the right price.

Failing that, I'm hoping that Harrington gets a 2nd chance in KC. I also like Josh McCown a little. Certainly as a #2 or #3. I'm afraid we will end up with Jamie Martin again.

Anyway, this is the only list I've been able to find so far.

http://www.theredzone.org/2006/freea...sp?Position=QB

Anthony Wright UFA Ravens
Charlie Batch UFA Steelers
Chris Simms RFA Buccaneers
Chris Weinke UFA Panthers
Craig Nall UFA Packers
Damon Huard UFA Chiefs
Dave Ragone RFA Texans
Doug Flutie UFA Patriots
Drew Brees UFA Chargers
Jamie Martin UFA Rams
Jeff Blake UFA Bears
Jeff Garcia UFA Lions
Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers
Jon Kitna UFA Bengals
Josh McCown UFA Cardinals
Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers
Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets
Kurt Warner UFA Cardinals
Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins
Seneca Wallace RFA Seahawks
Shane Matthews UFA Bills
Shaun Hill UFA Vikings
Tim Hasselbeck UFA Giants
Todd Collins UFA Chiefs
Ty Detmer UFA Falcons
Vinny Testaverde UFA Jets

Any other options that might become available this year?

1punkyQB 01-04-2006 02:10 AM

Yes, Matt Schaub from Atlanta. Although he's not a FA, I imagine they might be open to a trade. He'll never play there, he's cheap, smart, accurate and has decent mobility.

picasso 01-04-2006 02:13 AM

Dante Culpepper? Aaron Brooks?

Seneca Wallace in Chief colors would be awesome.

jAZ 01-04-2006 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picasso
Dante Culpepper?

Wet dream much?
Quote:

Aaron Brooks?

Hell no.
Quote:

Seneca Wallace in Chief colors would be awesome.

Why?

jAZ 01-04-2006 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1punkyQB
Yes, Matt Schaub from Atlanta. Although he's not a FA, I imagine they might be open to a trade. He'll never play there, he's cheap, smart, accurate and has decent mobility.

I don't know if we can afford to trade for a backup QBOTF. Not with the draft and FA available.

ChiefsCountry 01-04-2006 02:21 AM

Brees shoulder injury is something that will be a b**** for him. I had the same injury to both shoulders, thearpy should do the trick but they will always be screwed up. Surgury puts you out forever and should be avoided unless its very serious.

1punkyQB 01-04-2006 02:21 AM

Given what Carl does with draft picks, giving up our second rounder would save us a great deal of suffering. I'd trade the next Junior Siavii or Eddie Freeman for Schaub. Although Mitchell's turned out okay.

jAZ 01-04-2006 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry
Brees shoulder injury is something that will be a b**** for him. I had the same injury to both shoulders, thearpy should do the trick but they will always be screwed up. Surgury puts you out forever and should be avoided unless its very serious.

Chargers' Brees requires surgery

jAZ 01-04-2006 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1punkyQB
Given what Carl does with draft picks, giving up our second rounder would save us a great deal of suffering. I'd trade the next Junior Siavii or Eddie Freeman for Schaub. Although Mitchell's turned out okay.

Personally I'd much rather have a (potentially) healthy Brees on the cheap or a #4 overall pick in Harrington both of which (in theory) would be free to us and have both shown more potential than Schaub. If Schaub were a FA, I'd say he might be at the top of my list. But given that he's not, I'm not willing to trade for him.

I might be alone in this view.

ChiefsCountry 01-04-2006 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ

That sucks Brees will be out 2 months for sure with surgery.

1punkyQB 01-04-2006 02:33 AM

I'm not sure how cheap Brees would be after the year he's had. Somebody like Balt would probably outbid us, and offer him the starting job (provided he's healthy). As far as Harrington, he's been surrounded by high draft choices and still hasn't done much but screw up and force Detroit to bring in Jeff Garcia. Schaub lit up New England and has looked good the seldom he's played.

picasso 01-04-2006 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
Wet dream much?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
NFL Networks mentioned yesterday that Culpepper is extremely unsatisfied with the teams decisions and it's direction and embarrassed over recent events and would like to look at other teams.

Hell no.
Aaron Brooks is a decent QB, much better than Schaub. God you might as well get Harrington. Did great in college but sucks as a pro. Anyone who can't hit the receivers he has is shit. In the second half of the game that knocked us out Sunday Harrington couldn't find the sticks to save his life. Dork throws a 3 yard dump pass on a 3rd and 15. MORON!!

Why?

Seneca Wallace is a rising talent IMO. he has extremely fast feet, strong arm and pretty accurate as far as preseason appearances go.

King_Chief_Fan 01-04-2006 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
We need a QBOTF. I also suspect that Joey Harrington will be available. I'm also hoping that with Brees' shoulder surgery SD will not put the franchise tag on him again and let him go in the offseason.

If so, he'd now come cheaper than he otherwise would have given his risk (and the Chad Pennington experience). He's my #1 QBOTF candidate at the right price.

Failing that, I'm hoping that Harrington gets a 2nd chance in KC. I also like Josh McCown a little. Certainly as a #2 or #3. I'm afraid we will end up with Jamie Martin again.

Craig Nall UFA Packers
Damon Huard UFA Chiefs
Dave Ragone RFA Texans
Doug Flutie UFA Patriots
Drew Brees UFA Chargers
Jamie Martin UFA Rams
Jeff Blake UFA Bears
Jeff Garcia UFA Lions
Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers
Jon Kitna UFA Bengals
Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers
Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets
Shane Matthews UFA Bills
Shaun Hill UFA Vikings
Todd Collins UFA Chiefs
Ty Detmer UFA Falcons

There is nothing on that menu that makes me think there is a QBOTF for the Chiefs. That is quite a list of 3rd stringers at best.
Brees recent shoulder injuries concern me enough to say pass.

jspchief 01-04-2006 07:27 AM

Breees isn't going to come to KC to sit on the bench behind Green. He's proven he can be a starter that deserves starter pay. Why come to KC and be a back-up when he could go to numerous teams and be the man?

The rest of those guys are has-beens and never-weres.

Now is the time to draft a QB. This draft is heavy enough on QB prospects that we could get one outside of round 1. He can sit behind Green for two years and learn the ropes. Green has to realize his days are numbered, and I believe he would be an excellent mentor.

htismaqe 01-04-2006 08:19 AM

Just say no to Brees. His leash is WAY too short.

Saulbadguy 01-04-2006 08:19 AM

Just say YES to Seneca Wallace AND Sage Rosenfels!

jspchief 01-04-2006 08:24 AM

Seneca Wallace looked like complete shit against a crappy Packers D last week. I don't think he's pro starter caliber.

Rosenfels is interesing. He's had some success as a starter, but he's also had some brutal outings. I might consider him, but I also question why he got so few chances on a dolphins team that absolutely desperate for an improvement in QB play. Why would the Dolphins trade for Cleo Lemon if Sage was any good?

htismaqe 01-04-2006 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
Just say YES to Seneca Wallace AND Sage Rosenfels!

ROFL

sedated 01-04-2006 08:38 AM

The Falcons would be stupid to get rid of Shaub, since Vick sucks as a QB.

I liked Ragone out of college, but haven't seen what he has done in the pros (not like you can get an accurate read playing in Houston)

Hoover 01-04-2006 08:51 AM

Ramsey
McCown
Harrington
Carr

if you can get them at the right price. I really think we shoudl invest a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year and just go that route, especially is Saunders is the HC.

royr17 01-04-2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ

Craig Nall UFA Packers
Damon Huard UFA Chiefs
Dave Ragone RFA Texans
Doug Flutie UFA Patriots
Drew Brees UFA Chargers
Jamie Martin UFA Rams
Jeff Blake UFA Bears
Jeff Garcia UFA Lions
Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers
Jon Kitna UFA Bengals
Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers
Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets
Shane Matthews UFA Bills
Shaun Hill UFA Vikings
Todd Collins UFA Chiefs
Ty Detmer UFA Falcons

Free Agent Quarterbacks

Charlie Batch UFA Steelers - he really does suck
Chris Simms RFA Buccaneers - bucs wont let him go
Chris Weinke UFA Panthers - too old for a qb of the future
Craig Nall UFA Packers - needs to develop
Damon Huard UFA Chiefs - yep he sucks, pass
Dave Ragone RFA Texans - like this qb alot
Doug Flutie UFA Patriots - needs to retire
Drew Brees UFA Chargers - chargers wont let him go
Jamie Martin UFA Rams - pass
Jeff Blake UFA Bears - pass
Jeff Garcia UFA Lions - pass
Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers - pass
Jon Kitna UFA Bengals - pass
Josh McCown UFA Cardinals - could be a good qb
Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers - kinda intrigues me a bit
Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets - has alot of potential
Kurt Warner UFA Cardinals - he's finished
Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins - not too bad of a qb
Seneca Wallace RFA Seahawks - not bad lookin choice
Shane Matthews UFA Bills - pass
Shaun Hill UFA Vikings - pass
Tim Hasselbeck UFA Giants - pass
Todd Collins UFA Chiefs - 3rd string guy for chiefs
Ty Detmer UFA Falcons - pass
Vinny Testaverde UFA Jets - Pass (too old and should retire)

QB's the Chiefs Should look into
QB Dave Ragone
QB Jeff Smoker (DV liked him alot in the draft, potential is there)
QB Joey Harrington (if released)
QB Josh McCown
QB Ken Dorsey
QB Kliff Kingsbury
QB Sage Rosenfels
QB Seneca Wallace

or make a trade for

QB Matt Schaub of the Falcons

Brock 01-04-2006 09:30 AM

I don't get the fascination with Harrington. It's not like he didn't have anybody to throw to.

royr17 01-04-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock
I don't get the fascination with Harrington. It's not like he didn't have anybody to throw to.

No its just he didnt have any protection so that he could have time to throw.

htismaqe 01-04-2006 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr17
No its just he didnt have any protection so that he could have time to throw.

Not really. He makes REALLY bad decisions alot of the time.

royr17 01-04-2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
Not really. He makes REALLY bad decisions alot of the time.

Alot of young quarterbacks do.

Chief Faithful 01-04-2006 10:18 AM

I have never seen McCown play. I'd like to know what you guys see in him.

I think Collins should be resigned, but I'd love to see the Chiefs sign Harrington. I think Harrington would be a good fit in KC and if I remember correctly Saunders really wanted Harrington the year he was drafted by Detroit.

Brock 01-04-2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royr17
Alot of young quarterbacks do.

He's been around long enough to know better.

He just isn't very good.

Cormac 01-04-2006 10:36 AM

My first choice would be Ragone. He was impressive in college and has all the physical tools. I think he'd be worth a chance. Having said that, he hasn't passed Tony Banks on the HOU depth chart, IIRC. Oh hell.

Other than that, I think Harrington could have success in the future. He definitely needs to get the hell out of Detroit anyway. He isn't immediate starter material, so he can sit while Trent plays out his career/contract. Then he should be ready. In the meantime, he'd be an excellent back-up option.

JMO.

farmerchief 01-04-2006 10:38 AM

I wouldnt mind the chiefs taking a flyer on Harrington, and or Carr if he becomes available. The must have some kind of talent to be drafted in the first round, most QB's do, unless your last name is Leaf.

ct 01-04-2006 10:41 AM

Brees, yes, but if he does leave via FA, he'll get a starting gig.

Harrington, yes, I still think Joey can be developed by a quality QB coach, which we have currently, but who knows next week.

McCown, no thanks.

I also like Sage Rosenfels.

jAZ 01-04-2006 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock
He's been around long enough to know better.

He just isn't very good.

You could very well be right, but the same thing could have been said of Trent Green early in his career. I find him intriguing because DV/AS wanted him pretty badly in that draft. That makes him interesting despite his past performance.

If he were a high priced FA, I wouldn't want to tie up a lot of cap room on him, but it seems like he's going to come pretty cheap. If so, he'd make a perfect come-back player candidate.

ChiefsOne 01-04-2006 11:05 AM

Brees is the only one of those choices I would like to have here. That's very unlikely to happen, unless he wants to give his shoulder more time to heal.

If not Brees draft a QB to develop in the next year or two.

bsp4444 01-04-2006 02:24 PM

I thought Ken Dorsey was a steal coming out of college, for someone to develop. I know he got to play some this year, but I really don't know what kind of numbers he posted (not much, if there' no more interest in him than this).

Valiant 01-04-2006 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ

Craig Nall UFA Packers
Damon Huard UFA Chiefs
Dave Ragone RFA Texans
Doug Flutie UFA Patriots
Drew Brees UFA Chargers
Jamie Martin UFA Rams
Jeff Blake UFA Bears
Jeff Garcia UFA Lions
Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers
Jon Kitna UFA Bengals
Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers
Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets
Shane Matthews UFA Bills
Shaun Hill UFA Vikings
Todd Collins UFA Chiefs
Ty Detmer UFA Falcons

Drew Brees UFA Chargers

These would be my choices since mostly they are UFA's... But realistically they are only going to go to a team that they could start for.. Not sure if they would come here and mind learning and riding the bench for 1-3 years...

LiL stumppy 01-04-2006 04:53 PM

If the Lions were to keep Harrington and let Garcia go.I wouldn't mind if we looked in to him.Hes a tough, moble QB.But he is also kinda up there in age. Seneca Wallace has also looked good to me when he gets the chance,hes ugly :) but very moble and has been behind a solid QB for 3 years.

ferrarispider95 01-04-2006 05:11 PM

**** GARCIA, REMEMBER TO SAID HE WAS GAY

jAZ 01-04-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant
Drew Brees UFA Chargers

These would be my choices since mostly they are UFA's... But realistically they are only going to go to a team that they could start for.. Not sure if they would come here and mind learning and riding the bench for 1-3 years...

Actually I think McCown is one of the more realistic choices on that list. He's not a sure-fire, proven starter like Brees. But he's been in a reasonably similar system this past year in AZ. He might or might not have a lot of up side, but I think he's definately obtainable as a #2 or #3QBOTF.

Hydrae 01-04-2006 05:43 PM

I was actually surprised when Arizona picked up Warner this last off season because I thought McCown was their QB for the foreseeable future. Maybe there is some issues here I am not aware of but he would be someone of interest to me.

Ragone is definitely one I would find interesting. That had to suck for him being stuck behind Carr these last couple of years. But I think he has the skills needed and with a veteran to show him the ropes in Green there is some serious upside to this kid, IMO.

the Talking Can 01-04-2006 05:53 PM

Imho, Harrington just isn't very good. Plus, reports are that his teammates don't like him. Sounds like a Grbac.

Brees would be nice but I don't see it happening.

We need to draft a QB. And maybe take a look at Ramsey from Washington. I thought he played well before Gibbs ****ed with his head.

And Schaub...though he may be a flash in the pan. He looks good though and I'd start him over Vick.

Thig Lyfe 01-04-2006 05:59 PM

Matt Schaub!!!!

That would be THE BEST pick at QB.

Hydrae 01-04-2006 05:59 PM

All you who keep talking drafting a QB, we have done so at least twice in the last couple of years. The one I can think of off the top of my head would be Casey Clausen. I don't think he is even on the practice squad.

*EDIT: we drafted James Killian this last year as well and we have noone on the practice squad. *

So I don't know why anyone would think we can draft a QBOTF at any time and certainly not in the later rounds. :shake:

jAZ 01-04-2006 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant
Drew Brees UFA Chargers

Actually I think McCown is one of the more realistic choices on that list. He's not a sure-fire, proven starter like Brees. But he's been in a reasonably similar system this past year in AZ. He might or might not have a lot of up side, but I think he's definately obtainable as a #2 or #3QBOTF.