ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Need help with Outlook Express (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=134040)

greg63 01-18-2006 01:57 AM

Need help with Outlook Express

Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

I get the following message every time I try to access the program:

"Outlook Express has encountered an error and needs to close..."

I run XP and I've tried scandisk, Defrag, and Restoring my system to earlier date settings. I bought a program that scans for and fixes problems in the system registry, and none of it seems to help. I really don't want to do a complete system recovery, but it appears more and more that is what I'm going to have to do.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

luv 01-18-2006 02:03 AM

I only use Outlook at work. Anytime we have errors on it, we talk to the friendly guys in IT. It's usually a problem with the server they run it on. There are lots of IT guys on here, so I'm sure someone will have some good advice.

J Diddy 01-18-2006 02:04 AM

does it give you an error code?

J Diddy 01-18-2006 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;208814

If it does check here

greg63 01-18-2006 02:08 AM

Quote:

No it just says: "sorry for the inconvenience."

luv 01-18-2006 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg63

At least it apologizes. ROFL

Sorry, I hope I'm laughing with you on that one.

greg63 01-18-2006 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2rite
I only use Outlook at work. Anytime we have errors on it, we talk to the friendly guys in IT. It's usually a problem with the server they run it on. There are lots of IT guys on here, so I'm sure someone will have some good advice.

We do the same thing were I work, I just wish I knew what to do about it.:banghead:

J Diddy 01-18-2006 02:11 AM

Quote:

This is a problem you have the gay version of outlook explorer.

greg63 01-18-2006 02:12 AM

Quote:

At least it apologizes. ROFL

Sorry, I hope I'm laughing with you on that one.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

I gotta find some reason to laugh; thanks for the humor. :D

greg63 01-18-2006 02:14 AM

Quote:

This is a problem you have the gay version of outlook explorer.

...Obviously. The frustrating thing is that it just came out of no where; it was working and then it wasn't.

J Diddy 01-18-2006 02:17 AM

Quote:

...Obviously. The frustrating thing is that it just came out of no where; it was working and then it wasn't.

Sneaky ****ers, eh?

Did you change anything at all to your computer before you used it last?

greg63 01-18-2006 02:23 AM

Quote:

Sneaky ****ers, eh?

Yep!

Quote:

Did you change anything at all to your computer before you used it last?

The only thing I can think of is that I auto archived my MS Outlook that I also run on my machine for a different purpose.

J Diddy 01-18-2006 02:24 AM

Quote:

Yep!

The only thing I can think of is that I auto archived my MS Outlook that I also run on my machine for a different purpose.

You running XP, if so try to role it back with system restore.

greg63 01-18-2006 02:26 AM

Quote:

You running XP, if so try to role it back with system restore.

I've done so, and it didn't help.

Simplex3 01-18-2006 02:28 AM

Or you can install this:

http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

J Diddy 01-18-2006 02:28 AM

did you try uninstalling and reinstalling it

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;208814

greg63 01-18-2006 02:30 AM

Quote:

did you try uninstalling and reinstalling it

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;208814

Nope, but it's worth a shot. Thanks.

greg63 01-18-2006 02:43 AM

Windows XP and Windows XP SP1: Edit the registry and install Internet Explorer 6

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message: Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.
Setup cannot continue.
To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps: 1.While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.2.In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.3.Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
4.Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.5.Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6. 6.To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:

I can only get as far as step two because I am unable to locate IsInstalled.

I'll keep trying.

J Diddy 01-18-2006 02:46 AM

Quote:

Windows XP and Windows XP SP1: Edit the registry and install Internet Explorer 6

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message: Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.
Setup cannot continue.
To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps: 1.While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.2.In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.3.Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
4.Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.5.Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6. 6.To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:

I can only get as far as step two because I am unable to locate IsInstalled.

I'll keep trying.

try looking for this instead REG_DWORD

greg63 01-18-2006 02:49 AM

Quote:

try looking for this instead REG_DWORD

Will do.

greg63 01-18-2006 02:59 AM

No luck; geez this frustrating.

luv 01-18-2006 03:01 AM

Quote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of XP.

greg63 01-18-2006 03:04 AM

Quote:

Welcome to the wonderful world of XP.

No doubt; I learned a long time ago that terms like Microsoft Works are an oxymoron.

J Diddy 01-18-2006 03:05 AM

Quote:

wait a minute, why are you screwing with registry editor, just go to control panel, add or remove programs, window components, check outlook express, reboot and install

greg63 01-18-2006 03:08 AM

Quote:

wait a minute, why are you screwing with registry editor, just go to control panel, add or remove programs, window components, check outlook express, reboot and install

Ok, I'll give it a shot. I'll be back in a few.

Simplex3 01-18-2006 03:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Upgrade to this:

J Diddy 01-18-2006 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3
Upgrade to this:

That is so wrong.

Simplex3 01-18-2006 03:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As wrong as this?

luv 01-18-2006 03:15 AM

Quote:

As wrong as this?

I think the www.somethingawful.com gives it away.

J Diddy 01-18-2006 03:16 AM

Quote:

As wrong as this?

I appreciate that little reference to ME

I was one of the jerkoffs doling out $100 for that shiny little turd.

If only I could kick myself in the balls...

Simplex3 01-18-2006 03:18 AM

Quote:

I appreciate that little reference to ME

I was one of the jerkoffs doling out $100 for that shiny little turd.

If only I could kick myself in the balls...

I've paid the MS tax on several PCs and will admit I actually PURCHASED a WinXP upgrade.

F**king stupid. Now I get better stuff for free. If only I'd known then half of what I know now.

J Diddy 01-18-2006 03:19 AM

Quote:

I've paid the MS tax on several PCs and will admit I actually PURCHASED a WinXP upgrade.

F**king stupid. Now I get better stuff for free. If only I'd known then half of what I know now.

The funny shit is the only problem i've had with the antipiracy activation is on the system I purchased the license on.

Simplex3 01-18-2006 03:21 AM

Quote:

The funny shit is the only problem i've had with the antipiracy activation is on the system I purchased the license on.

ROFL

J Diddy 01-18-2006 03:22 AM

I wonder if Greg blew up his computer by now.

Simplex3 01-18-2006 03:23 AM

He should reboot. That helps.

J Diddy 01-18-2006 03:25 AM

Quote:

He should reboot. That helps.

No shit. I called tech support for my pos at work and the bitch had me reboot six times, that was her strategy for fixing it.

luv 01-18-2006 03:32 AM

Quote:

No shit. I called tech support for my pos at work and the bitch had me reboot six times, that was her strategy for fixing it.

When I'm having problems with a piece of machinery at work, the rule is "when all else fails, clean the machine." Whenever I'm having a problem with my computer, "when all else fails, reboot."

greg63 01-18-2006 03:42 AM

Quote:

I wonder if Greg blew up his computer by now.

Still looking for the C4 I got from the set of 24.

It still didn't work. I'm going to have to do a complete system recover, so I'll be gone for a while. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Nite Planet!