ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   It's official. Moore in, Baird out (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=141558)

ChiTown 05-31-2006 10:56 AM

It's official. Moore in, Baird out

:)

Good deal

Royals fire Baird to clear path for hiring Moore as GM
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

OAKLAND, Calif. — The Royals fired general manager Allard Baird on this morning in anticipation of announcing the hiring of Atlanta assistant Dayton Moore as his replacement.

The club declined official comment regarding the moves, but Baird confirmed he had been fired.

“I was told this morning,” he said. “Beyond that, I don’t have anything to say.”

Sources say Moore is getting a five-year contract and complete control over baseball operations in a commitment to turn around a franchise that has lost 100 or more games in three of the last four seasons.

Moore, 39, is expected to take control, officially, next week upon completion of baseball’s two-day draft. Sources said assistant general manager Muzzy Jackson will replace Baird on an interim basis.

Moore could not be reached for comment.

Club owner David Glass signaled Baird’s job was in jeopardy April 20 after the Royals fell to 2-12 after a winless nine-game road trip through New York, Tampa Bay and Chicago.

“It has to change quickly,” he said. “We are not willing to wait to see if it gets better. We have to make it get better… If it doesn’t turn around, we’ll have to change things.

“We can’t wait too long. I’m not willing to go through a season like we did last year. None of us are.”

Glass’ patience seemed exhausted by May 4 when he declared: “I’m out of patience. I have never been this frustrated. I’ve got to do something. This can’t continue.”

It was at that point, from all indications, that Glass accelerated his search for a new general manager. He initially hoped to complete the process within a day or two.

It soon became an ordeal that lasted nearly four weeks and effectively paralyzed the organization as Baird’s administrative effectiveness steadily waned amid the mounting speculation of impending change.

Baird, 44, finally called publicly for “closure” earlier this week.

The Royals, ironically, entered Wednesday’s game in search of their first sweep in a road series in nearly three years after victories Monday and Tuesday over the A’s in Oakland.

Even so, their 13-37 record is the worst in baseball and matches the worst in franchise history through 50 games. They were also 13-37 last season, when they finished 56-106.

Moore, 39, will be the sixth general manager in franchise history. He is currently responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Braves’ scouting and player development as an assistant to general manager John Schuerholz.

The Star reported Saturday that Glass offered the job to Moore after more than 10 days of discussions. Sources said Moore wanted written assurance that he would have full and final authority on all baseball-related decisions before accepting the offer.

The Royals were 381-576 in Baird’s tenure, which began June 17, 2000, when he replaced Herk Robinson. He spent 12 previous seasons in the organization in various roles.

The organization’s primary failure under Baird was in its inability to draft and develop high-quality players in recent years. The current 25-man roster has only two players — outfielders David DeJesus and Shane Costa — who were drafted in Baird’s six seasons.

Further, several recent lineups mocked the very idea that the club is engaged in a rebuilding plan. The Royals started five players Tuesday against Oakland who were 30 years or older.

While Baird and his staff succeeded in uncovering some real bargains on the free-agent fringe, they proved far less successful in obtaining top value when forced by financial considerations to trade players such as Johnny Damon, Carlos Beltran and Jermaine Dye.

It was the Beltran trade — on June 24, 2004 — that marked the latest full-scale effort to rebuild their roster. The Royals received catcher John Buck, third baseman Mark Teahen and pitcher Mike Wood in return.

They are also 99-206 since that point.

This year’s disappointing performance comes after Glass authorized a payroll increase that allowed Baird to spend nearly $25 million in the off-season on veteran players to supplement a youthful and often-overmatched roster.

The anticipated mix has been derailed by injuries.

Three of the club’s anticipated starting pitchers — Mark Redman, Denny Bautista and Zack Greinke — have spent time on the disabled list. Greinke and closer Mike MacDougal have been out all season.

Another starter, Runelvys Hernandez, required three-plus weeks of additional conditioning time in the minors before joining the club. He was recently optioned back to Class AAA Omaha because of poor performance.

Injuries also sidelined two of the club’s key regulars: DeJesus and DH Mike Sweeney. DeJesus returned Monday after a 34-game absence, while Sweeney, who has already missed 26 games, isn’t expected back for several more weeks because of a bulging cervical disk in his neck.

To reach Bob Dutton, Royals reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4352 or send email to bdutton@kcstar.com

ct 05-31-2006 10:59 AM

This is a very good hire. Sure hope he in fact is given full control. I do find it dissappointing for Royals fans, that he won't take over until after the draft.

doomy3 05-31-2006 11:00 AM

this is very good news

milkman 05-31-2006 11:08 AM

You know it would be just like the Royals to fire Baird before they actually have a deal with Moore, only to see him (Moore) go elsewhere.

redbrian 05-31-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coryt
This is a very good hire. Sure hope he in fact is given full control. I do find it dissappointing for Royals fans, that he won't take over until after the draft.

I fear it is because Glass wants to hold the reins in one more year, and will only allow Baird to draft "Signable" players.

FringeNC 05-31-2006 11:12 AM

Great news. I don't know much about this Moore fellow, but he wouldn't go to KC unless he was given full authority. There will actually be authority and accountability, which is the first time the Royals have had that in ages.

I hope Baird writes a book on what a blathering idiot Glass and his offspring are.

Thank god we got off to this record-setting terrible start. It took us becoming a laughingstock before Glass realized the whole front office had to be revamped and little Danny taken out of the loop.

FloridaMan88 05-31-2006 11:13 AM

It would seem to me the logical thing would have been to fire Baird 4 weeks ago and name Muzzy Jackson the interim GM then, until Glass found the permanent GM he wanted to hire.

Of course logic doesn't apply to David Glass' decisions.

Still based on Moore's credentials this is a good hire. One crappy GM in KC down... one more to go

Bob Dole 05-31-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman
You know it would be just like the Royals to fire Baird before they actually have a deal with Moore, only to see him (Moore) go elsewhere.

Exactly. It doesns't read like anything other than Baird's firing is official.

KChiefs1 05-31-2006 11:26 AM

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Hea...yton-Moore.jpg

Hootie 05-31-2006 11:27 AM

Just to add a bit...

Royals GM Allard Baird was told Wednesday that he's been fired by the Royals. Braves assistant Dayton Moore is in line to replace him.
It's not offical yet, but it looks like the Royals are finally going in the right direction. Sources told the Kansas City Star that Moore is getting a five-year contract and complete control over baseball operations. He'll officially take over the GM role after next week's draft.

ChiTown 05-31-2006 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole
Exactly. It doesns't read like anything other than Baird's firing is official.

It's a done deal.

Spicy McHaggis 05-31-2006 11:28 AM

I've got a lot of respect for the way Baird has handled the situation. He could be spitting venom at the organization, tearing it apart and he would be completely justified in doing so. But no, he's handling it and has handled it with class. Glass could learn a thing or two from Allard.

Bootlegged 05-31-2006 11:29 AM

Finally.

Sure-Oz 05-31-2006 11:29 AM

Excellent news, that actually has me excited about the Royals, other than opening day!

Eleazar 05-31-2006 11:29 AM

Quote:

Sources say Moore is getting ...complete control over baseball operations
Best thing I have read all day.

That being said, the attitude of ownership here has to change. If David & Dan don't realize that a corporate executive and a jewelery salesman don't know how to run a baseball team, Moore will fail here too.

To me, the poor record the last 5 years is mostly on Glass - not because we don't have a $100 million payroll, I understand that - but because he doesn't know he doesn't know baseball.

I'm not talking about blindly throwing money at free agents and catapulting the payroll into orbit. I just mean that I don't want to hear anything about drafting on signability, I don't want to hear anything about ownership nixing free agent deals over a couple of bucks or vetoing sensible trades. If you don't like what Dayton Moore is doing, fire him, or shut up and let him do his job.

I agree that it was time for Baird to go, and this is the best possible scenario for a new GM, but Baird could end up being vindicated here. If ownership's practices don't change, nothing else will either. I don't know how you can judge Baird by the record when he wasn't allowed to make the decisions he wanted to make.

Hopefully ownership realizes their mistakes now. Good luck to Moore, and don't worry about Baird, another team will realize what he was working under here and he won't be out of work too long.

Eleazar 05-31-2006 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
I've got a lot of respect for the way Baird has handled the situation. He could be spitting venom at the organization, tearing it apart and he would be completely justified in doing so. But no, he's handling it and has handled it with class. Glass could learn a thing or two from Allard.

Yeah, exactly. I respect Baird a lot for, even when his employer threw him under the bus, ran him over every day for over a month, and acted like he didn't exist, he was loyal to the end. Nobody can ever say that Baird isn't a class act.

Sure-Oz 05-31-2006 11:34 AM

Baird def. deserved way better than he got, i wish him alot of luck and success. The guy should really go home and see his family honestly, dude lives, eats and breathes baseball, to a disturbing sense.

FringeNC 05-31-2006 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
Best thing I have read all day.

That being said, the attitude of ownership here has to change. If David & Dan don't realize that a corporate executive and a jewelery salesman don't know how to run a baseball team, Moore will fail here too.

My guess is that Dayton Moore knew all too well about the Glass regime, and wouldn't have taken this job unless he was confident that the meddling would end. It's not like the guy doesn't have other options.

Eleazar 05-31-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC
My guess is that Dayton Moore knew all too well about the Glass regime, and wouldn't have taken this job unless he was confident that the meddling would end. It's not like the guy doesn't have other options.

He had to have gotten the total control assurances he was looking for.

On 810 there was some guy just on who, I didn't catch his name, maybe he was a journalist in Atlanta? He said that he thought there could possibly be a big exodus of people from the Braves when Moore left. Specifically, like the head of the scouting department could possibly follow him to KC.

Bob Dole 05-31-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Where's the part confirming that Moore has accepted the job?

Reaper16 05-31-2006 11:39 AM

Quote:

On 810 there was some guy just on who, I didn't catch his name, maybe he was a journalist in Atlanta? He said that he thought there could possibly be a big exodus of people from the Braves when Moore left. Specifically, like the head of the scouting department could possibly follow him to KC.

Everything comes full circle.

FringeNC 05-31-2006 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole
Where's the part confirming that Moore has accepted the job?

There's not to my knowledge. It's speculation. Athan will confirm it soon, probably.

Sure-Oz 05-31-2006 11:42 AM

Quote:

Fine by me, it'll def. make things interesting in KC again regarding baseball.

Braincase 05-31-2006 11:45 AM

I wonder how Baird would've done with complete control instead of having Dan Glass hand shoved up his ass?

ChiTown 05-31-2006 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase
I wonder how Baird would've done with complete control instead of having Dan Glass hand shoved up his ass?

The problem with Baird, is that he would have never pushed for it. Baird is a great soldier, but not a very good leader. He's shown TREMENDOUS class during his tenure with the Royals, but you have to be able to make a stand against your employer when you know the direction is fooked up.

I wish him well.

FringeNC 05-31-2006 11:51 AM

Quote:

Atlanta has a very good farm system.

Rankings:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...res/26854.html

Sure-Oz 05-31-2006 11:53 AM

Quote:

Atlanta has a very good farm system.

Rankings:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...res/26854.html

We are 23 ranked, niiice....imagine how bad it'd be if we didnt have butler, huber and gordon in that system.

BigRedChief 05-31-2006 11:54 AM

If Moore didn't get final say on all player moves then it won't matter. If Dan Glass is the final say on players, nothings going to change. But he has to have recieved it or why would the hottest future GM come here? On Petro an ATL reporter was saying that the Red Sox offered him the GM job and he tuirned it down.

Bob Dole 05-31-2006 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

BigRedChief 05-31-2006 12:02 PM

While the Royals haven't confirmed they've offered Braves assistant Dayton Moore the team's general manager job, the current GM Allard Baird revealed that he was fired Wednesday morning, The Kansas City Star reported.

"I was told this morning," Baird told the paper. "Beyond that, I don't have anything to say."

Sources tell the paper that Moore is getting a five-year contract and complete control over baseball operations.

Moore, the 39-year-old Wichita, Kan, native, is expected to take control, officially, next week after baseball's two-day draft. Assistant general manager Muzzy Jackson will replace Baird on an interim basis, the paper reported.

The Royals are mired in one of their worst seasons ever, and rumors of Baird's demise had floated for weeks

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2464544

BigRedChief 05-31-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief
If Moore didn't get final say on all player moves then it won't matter. If Dan Glass is the final say on players, nothings going to change. But he has to have recieved it or why would the hottest future GM come here? On Petro an ATL reporter was saying that the Red Sox offered him the GM job and he tuirned it down.

From the local radio shows as to why the top future MLB GM prospect would come here?

I guess Moore grew up a passionate Royals fan in Witchita, Kansas. He wants to return to the home town team and lead them back to the way they were when he went to games as a kid.

Pitt Gorilla 05-31-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

I wondered the same. Baird was very good at everything, except the draft. That seems to be his downfall. He could create players from nothing (Huber and German), but couldn't draft worth a darn. That is why not having Moore conduct the draft makes little sense.

Brock 05-31-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla
I wondered the same. Baird was very good at everything, except the draft. That seems to be his downfall. He could create players from nothing (Huber and German), but couldn't draft worth a darn. That is why not having Moore conduct the draft makes little sense.

I had heard that Baird wasn't even allowed to draft the players he wanted.

At least most people around here are starting to quit with the revenue excuse.

FringeNC 05-31-2006 12:29 PM

Quote:

I dunno. Anyone who doesn't understand why the phones aren't ringing off the hook to acquire Terrance Long shouldn't be a GM. Baird was an improvement over Herk Robinson, and did make some good deals, but in the end, failed (with much help from Glass).

ChiefaRoo 05-31-2006 12:32 PM

Man I hope this move means the Royals are seriously going to attempt to win pennants and playoff games. I really want to care again.

Here's to coming to KC in July sucking back some cold one's and seeing great baseball in KC! CHEERS!

tomahawk kid 05-31-2006 12:34 PM

Never thought I'd see this day.

This could be the first step towards building a Royals team in the mold of those I watched growing up.

BigRock 05-31-2006 12:34 PM

The AP says Moore is a done deal:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - The Kansas City Royals are replacing general manager Allard Baird with Dayton Moore of the Atlanta Braves, The Associated Press has learned.

The Royals reached a deal to hire Moore, an assistant general manager with Atlanta, according to a person close to the negotiations. The agreement will give the 39-year-old Moore complete control of baseball operations for the floundering Royals, who are on pace to lose 100 games for the fourth time in five years.

The source asked not to be identified because an official announcement was not expected until later Wednesday.

tk13 05-31-2006 12:37 PM

Quote:

See, I'd disagree, I think that's his strength. The first year or two was iffy, but since then our first round picks were Greinke, Lubanski, Maier, Butler, Howell, Gordon... that's pretty good. Even in the first round the baseball draft is usually a total crapshoot. Yet we've gotten people who look like they could contribute some day with every single 1st round pick. That is really impressive in baseball. As Billy Beane says, the draft is so messed up that if you get 2 major league players out of 50 picks you've had a good draft.

It's a move that had to be done... I do kinda feel bad for Baird, just because he's given his life to this organization. He's been in this organization longer than Carl has been with the Chiefs... and it's obvious he truly loved it, which I guess is better than somebody looking to move up the ladder. That's one thing I like about Moore, he seems to geniunely want to be here. Baird will probably land on his feet somewhere, I would agree he probably wasn't as demanding as he needs to be, but he seems to be pretty well respected around the league as a baseball guy, he can probably get a scouting or Assistant GM job somewhere. Really he probably deserves a break though.

I would say that I've thought all along this year wasn't the year to judge Baird though. How he'll be judged in my mind is if in a couple years we have guys like Gordon, Butler, Huber, Teahen, Greinke, Howell, Burgos, etc, etc forming the core of a decent MLB team. That is really how he should be judged... if they do well then he did an okay job, if those guys all bomb then he really was a complete failure.

Moore's a great hire, I'm looking forward to seeing what changes he makes. Be interesting to see if he fires Buddy Bell, I'd have no problem with that. It also makes me a little antsy to know we're going to run the draft through an interim GM who probably knows his days are numbered, too. We'll see what happens.

Bob Dole 05-31-2006 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock
I had heard that Baird wasn't even allowed to draft the players he wanted.

That's what Bob Dole remembers reading, as well.

He was instructed not to draft certain players because their anticipated salary didn't suit Glass.

kcfanXIII 05-31-2006 12:41 PM

i know baird didn't do a great job in kc, but his hands were tied. he's a classy guy and will probably be successful somewhere else. i want him to write a book just for the fans, but i doubt he will.

i used to think the gunther firing via the internet was a classless thing to do, but that pales in comparison to the way glass handled this situation. good luck allard, we know it wasn't all your fault.

FringeNC 05-31-2006 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
See, I'd disagree, I think that's his strength. The first year or two was iffy, but since then our first round picks were Greinke, Lubanski, Maier, Butler, Howell, Gordon... that's pretty good. Even in the first round the baseball draft is usually a total crapshoot. Yet we've gotten people who look like they could contribute some day with every single 1st round pick. That is really impressive in baseball. As Billy Beane says, the draft is so messed up that if you get 2 major league players out of 50 picks you've had a good draft.

It's a move that had to be done... I do kinda feel bad for Baird, just because he's given his life to this organization. He's been in this organization longer than Carl has been with the Chiefs... and it's obvious he truly loved it, which I guess is better than somebody looking to move up the ladder. That's one thing I like about Moore, he seems to geniunely want to be here. Baird will probably land on his feet somewhere, I would agree he probably wasn't as demanding as he needs to be, but he seems to be pretty well respected around the league as a baseball guy, he can probably get a scouting or Assistant GM job somewhere. Really he probably deserves a break though.

I would say that I've thought all along this year wasn't the year to judge Baird though. How he'll be judged in my mind is if in a couple years we have guys like Gordon, Butler, Huber, Teahen, Greinke, Howell, Burgos, etc, etc forming the core of a decent MLB team. That is really how he should be judged... if they do well then he did an okay job, if those guys all bomb then he really was a complete failure.

Moore's a great hire, I'm looking forward to seeing what changes he makes. Be interesting to see if he fires Buddy Bell, I'd have no problem with that. It also makes me a little antsy to know we're going to run the draft through an interim GM who probably knows his days are numbered, too. We'll see what happens.

How much an improvement Dayton Moore is over Baird is almost secondary. The real reason Royals fan should be excited is apparently Dan Glass can go back to running pawn shops instead of a major league baseball team. With the Glass boys involved in day-to-day operations, the situation was hopeless. Now there is hope!

StcChief 05-31-2006 12:55 PM

I'm still hanging with Royals 50 win season.

ChiTown 05-31-2006 12:58 PM

Confirmation

Royals hire Dayton Moore as GM, fire Baird
DOUG TUCKER
Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Dayton Moore, a top executive with one of the most successful organizations in baseball, is headed to Kansas City to try to turn around one of the worst.

The 39-year-old assistant general manager for baseball operations for the Atlanta Braves has agreed to terms to become general manager of the Royals, a source close to the negotiations told The Associated Press on Wednesday. Moore, a native of Wichita, Kan., who joined the Braves as a scout in 1994, will replace embattled Allard Baird, who was fired Wednesday.

The Royals entered Wednesday night's game at Oakland with a major league-worst 13-37 record, despite having won three of their last five. Kansas City lost 106 games in 2005 and 104 the year before and is on pace for 100 or more losses for the fourth season in five years.

Royals owner David Glass vowed on May 4 that he was fed up with losing and would soon make "significant changes," and obviously was talking about Baird, who was put in charge in June of 2000. Moore was considered a leading candidate last year to become general manager of the Boston Red Sox but withdrew after being invited for a second interview.

Glass, who has known almost nothing but frustration since buying the small-market Royals for $96 million in 2000, had targeted Moore from the beginning.

A source who asked not to be identified because an official announcement was not expected until later Wednesday said the agreement with Moore will give him complete control of baseball operations.

A native of Wichita, Kan., Moore joined the Braves as a scout in 1994 and in 2005 was named assistant general manager for baseball operations.

He will assume his new duties next week after the amateur draft June 6-7.

Pitt Gorilla 05-31-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

How much an improvement Dayton Moore is over Baird is almost secondary. The real reason Royals fan should be excited is apparently Dan Glass can go back to running pawn shops instead of a major league baseball team. With the Glass boys involved in day-to-day operations, the situation was hopeless. Now there is hope!

I agree. It's just too bad that Baird didn't get the same working conditions.

Eleazar 05-31-2006 01:03 PM

Totally agree with tk. Saying Baird can't draft is pretty shortsighted. It's easy for a football fan to look at a team and think, these guys stink, ergo, he can't draft, without understanding how the baseball draft is different, and how like Beane said, if you get one or two guys who make it to the majors in a given year then you have done well.

Not only that, a lot of guys change positions in the minors or take 5 years to make it to the bigs anyways. Zack Greinkes and Alex Gordons are not a dime a dozen. Nobody is behind schedule if they aren't pitching in the majors at age 20 like Saberhagen was.

The draft in baseball is a crapshoot. And we still have some pretty good prospects down in Wichita. Baird's chapter in the team's history hasn't been closed out yet.

Eleazar 05-31-2006 01:14 PM

Check this out. Some despondent Braves' fans mourning his departure. Talking about how it's going to be a huge hit to their scouting department.

http://www.chopnation.com/bravesboar...opic.php?t=330

Pitt Gorilla 05-31-2006 01:16 PM

Quote:

Totally agree with tk. Saying Baird can't draft is pretty shortsighted. It's easy for a football fan to look at a team and think, these guys stink, ergo, he can't draft, without understanding how the baseball draft is different, and how like Beane said, if you get one or two guys who make it to the majors in a given year then you have done well.

Not only that, a lot of guys change positions in the minors or take 5 years to make it to the bigs anyways. Zack Greinkes and Alex Gordons are not a dime a dozen. Nobody is behind schedule if they aren't pitching in the majors at age 20 like Saberhagen was.

The draft in baseball is a crapshoot. And we still have some pretty good prospects down in Wichita. Baird's chapter in the team's history hasn't been closed out yet.

You're right, as I was a bit harsh on him. The thing that really bothers me is that I have liked a lot of his moves. The Batista for Huber deal was incredible. The Bautista for Grimmace was even better. Getting German in a Rule 5 trade was pretty impressive. Even Berroa for Damon is a pretty big win in my book. I really liked Teahen and was impressed that we got Buck and Wood in the deal as well. I still think time will prove that deal was for the good.

Giving up Matt Diaz was a mistake. Trading Dye for Perez was even worse. Not dealing Sweeney for anyone was maybe the worst decision of all.

IMO, his trades and fringe FAs have been very good. I guess that is why I put the blame on the draft. It would be nice to have a few stars coming through the system, and Gordon and DeJesus could be star guys.

Frazod 05-31-2006 01:17 PM

And the Titanic switches captains. Big fucking deal.

The problem is GLASS, not Baird. Unless the new guy is some sort of masterful medieval alchemist, I really don't see how he's going to build a winning franchise out of a $5 bag of Wal-mart fertilizer.

Hammock Parties 05-31-2006 01:19 PM

I just screamed and creamed my panties!!!! SWEET SHIT!!!!!!!! Im ****ing excited as hell man!!

JBucc 05-31-2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod

The problem is GLASS, not Baird. Unless the new guy is some sort of masterful medieval alchemist, I really don't see how he's going to build a winning franchise out of a $5 bag of Wal-mart fertilizer.

The thinking is he wouldn't have come here unless Glass agreed to leave him the **** alone and give him what he needs. Whether or not that actually happens only time will tell. I have my doubts.

Dr. Johnny Fever 05-31-2006 01:21 PM

Dear God,

Please don't let Dayton Moore's hiring be a cruel joke... and watch after Allard.

Amen.

Eleazar 05-31-2006 01:22 PM

Quote:

Giving up Matt Diaz was a mistake. Trading Dye for Perez was even worse. Not dealing Sweeney for anyone was maybe the worst decision of all.

Depending on who you ask, you can shift blame for two of those three scenarios to ownership. Supposedly there was a Dye trade lined up for... I can't remember now, something respectable, but Baird was slapped down. Same with Sweeney.

Diaz, yeah he's a good hitter, but we haven't seen yet what we got on our end of that deal either.

FringeNC 05-31-2006 01:26 PM

"The organization’s primary failure under Baird was in its inability to draft and develop high-quality players in recent years. The current 25-man roster has only two players — outfielders David DeJesus and Shane Costa — who were drafted in Baird’s six seasons.

Further, several recent lineups mocked the very idea that the club is engaged in a rebuilding plan. The Royals started five players Tuesday against Oakland who were 30 years or older."

Ouch.

Pitt Gorilla 05-31-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Depending on who you ask, you can shift blame for two of those three scenarios to ownership. Supposedly there was a Dye trade lined up for... I can't remember now, something respectable, but Baird was slapped down. Same with Sweeney.

Diaz, yeah he's a good hitter, but we haven't seen yet what we got on our end of that deal either.

Good point; I forgot that was a trade.

BigChiefFan 05-31-2006 01:29 PM

An official announcement should be made within 30 minutes according to AM 610 that Moore will be named the GM.

DanT 05-31-2006 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod

It's still good that Dayton Moore stuck to his guns during the hiring process. The whole thing has played out in a way that speaks badly for the Glass family, while speaking well for Moore. Without his having to come out and say that the Glass family has been fucking up the Royals, it's become far more apparent that they have. Moore has put himself in about as good a position as a new Royals GM could be under Glass's ownership.

petegz28 05-31-2006 01:45 PM

FINALLLYYYYYY!!! WOOT!

REAL CHANGE!

Now I will buy me some season tickets and look forward to some good baseball in the coming years

Eleazar 05-31-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Good point; I forgot that was a trade.

I forget the guy's name, he's a pitcher. I remember a stink over at Royalboard about him because someone else with the same name who was also a pitcher in the minors got caught using roids, but it wasn't the same guy or something.

chiefqueen 05-31-2006 02:01 PM

I owe somebody rep for getting the pool right. B/C I'm lazy, I'll give rep to the person who finds the thread.

ChiTown 05-31-2006 02:10 PM

Royals Official Release

Royals name Moore new GM
Baird dismissed; Jackson interim GM until after draft
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

Dayton Moore succeeds Allard Baird to become the sixth general manager in club history. (Atlanta Braves)

OAKLAND -- After weeks of speculation, the Royals replaced general manager Allard Baird with Dayton Moore of the Atlanta Braves on Wednesday.

Baird, the team's general manager since 2000, was dismissed with the Royals holding the worst record in Major League Baseball at 13-37.

Moore, 39, becomes the sixth general manager in franchise history.

Formerly assistant general manager of baseball operations to Atlanta's John Schuerholz, Moore had been with the Braves since 1994. Schuerholz was one of his predecessors in the Royals' job from 1981-1990.

The Royals announced that vice president/baseball operations Muzzy Jackson would serve as interim GM until Moore takes over after next week's First-Year Player Draft.

Moore has Midwest roots, born in Wichita, Kan. He lives with his wife, Marianne, and their three children in Duluth, Ga.

For the Braves, Moore was responsible for overseeing all aspects of scouting and player development. He has been the club's director of international scouting and director of player personnel during his career.

Moore is a graduate of George Mason University, where he served as assistant baseball coach from 1990-1994.

Baird, 44, took over the Royals' GM job on June 17, 2000, succeeding Herk Robinson. A long-time scout, Baird was instrumental in expanding the team's world-wide presence.

However, the Royals' top finish in the Baird era was third place in 2003. After that, the club lost 104 games in 2004 and a team-record 106 last season.

tk13 05-31-2006 02:13 PM

Conference call with Dayton on KCTE 1510 AM right now...

www.1510.com

ct 05-31-2006 02:15 PM

Didn't know Dayton Moore was from DooDah, that's cool!! Wonder how long he lived here...

BigRedChief 05-31-2006 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coryt
Didn't know Dayton Moore was from DooDah, that's cool!! Wonder how long he lived here...

Read my earlier post in this thread. He grew up a Royals fan.

tk13 05-31-2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Read my earlier post in this thread. He grew up a Royals fan.

Said in this conference call that he actually watched game 7 of the 1985 World Series from I-70. Said he could pretty much all of the field except for the left fielder... that's pretty cool.

BigRedChief 05-31-2006 02:29 PM

Quote:

Said in this conference call that he actually watched game 7 of the 1985 World Series from I-70. Said he could pretty much all of the field except for the left fielder... that's pretty cool.

And supposely turned down the Red Sox GM job but takes the Royals job? He must have some strong memories of the 80's and Bret era to come back here.

ChiTown 05-31-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

I watched game 7 from the Left Field GA.

One of the greatest sporting moments of my life.

tk13 05-31-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

And supposely turned down the Red Sox GM job but takes the Royals job? He must have some strong memories of the 80's and Bret era to come back here.

Yeah, plus he didn't want his kids to grow up in Boston.

FringeNC 05-31-2006 02:34 PM

Wonder what his first moves will be. I'd imagine Buddy Bell is gone. I'd like to see him clean house and cut/trade all the players over 30.

ChiTown 05-31-2006 02:39 PM

Quote:

Wonder what his first moves will be. I'd imagine Buddy Bell is gone. I'd like to see him clean house and cut/trade all the players over 30.

Don't bank on any of that right away. I think Bell finishes out the year. I'd suspect that he'll make deals to build the minor leagues by trading our older players as the trade deadline nears.

tk13 05-31-2006 02:44 PM

Quote:

He said he still has to evaluate all that stuff. He said he hasn't been able to watch the Royals much since he's always so busy working for the Braves. He plans to sit down with Buddy and the staff, and all the scouts and stuff and evaluate them. He said he keeps an open mind and wants to give everyone a chance. He said Buddy is still definitely the manager. Of course that's the diplomatic answer, he can't say he's going to fire anybody just a couple hours after being announced as GM.

Pitt Gorilla 05-31-2006 02:48 PM

I'm guessing we could get a good prospect for Grudz.

BigRedChief 05-31-2006 02:50 PM

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Royals fired general manager Allard Baird on Wednesday and replaced him with Dayton Moore of the Atlanta Braves.

Moore, an assistant GM with one of the most successful organizations in baseball, will be asked to turn around one of the worst. He will take over the Royals on June 8 and be given complete control of baseball operations.

The team scheduled a conference call with Moore for Wednesday afternoon.Saddled with poor drafts, trades that haven't worked out, a low budget and a seemingly aimless drift in direction, the floundering Royals are on pace to lose 100 or more games for the fourth time in five seasons.The 39-year-old Moore is a native of Wichita, Kan., who joined the Braves as a scout in 1994 and became assistant general manager for baseball operations under John Schuerholz in 2005.

Atlanta has won a record 14 consecutive division titles, and Moore was considered a leading candidate to become GM of the Boston Red Sox last year until he withdrew after being invited for a second interview. For several years he has been considered one of the top young executives in the game and a surefire candidate to run a club one day.

Baird's dismissal was expected since owner David Glass said on May 4 that he was disgusted with the team's performance and would soon make "significant changes."

Baird could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

For now, manager Buddy Bell appears safe -- but he declined to comment on the move."Right now, I'm not going to talk about it," a subdued Bell said before Kansas City wrapped up a three-game series at Oakland. "I'm not supposed to."

The Royals entered Wednesday's game with a major league-worst 13-37 record despite having won three of their last five. Kansas City lost 106 games in 2005 and 104 the year before.Overall, the team was 381-574 under Baird.

Glass, who has known almost nothing but frustration since buying the small-market Royals for $96 million in 2000, had targeted Moore for more than three weeks.

Moore, who The Kansas City Star reports will receive a five-year contract, will assume his new duties next week after the amateur draft June 6-7.

The timing of the draft posed a potential conflict of interest for both the Braves and Royals, with Moore having intimate knowledge of all the information his Atlanta staff has compiled. Moore will not take part in the draft for either club.

Muzzy Jackson, who was Baird's top assistant, will run the Royals until Moore takes over.Baird might have been fired just as his program was on the threshold of bearing fruit. There are several promising prospects at Double-A Wichita this year, including infielder Alex Gordon, who was taken as the No. 2 pick in last year's draft.

Kylo Ren 05-31-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown
:)

Good deal

Royals fire Baird to clear path for hiring Moore as GM
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

OAKLAND, Calif. — The Royals fired general manager Allard Baird on this morning in anticipation of announcing the hiring of Atlanta assistant Dayton Moore as his replacement.

The club declined official comment regarding the moves, but Baird confirmed he had been fired.

“I was told this morning,” he said. “Beyond that, I don’t have anything to say.”

Sources say Moore is getting a five-year contract and complete control over baseball operations in a commitment to turn around a franchise that has lost 100 or more games in three of the last four seasons.

Moore, 39, is expected to take control, officially, next week upon completion of baseball’s two-day draft. Sources said assistant general manager Muzzy Jackson will replace Baird on an interim basis.

Moore could not be reached for comment.

Club owner David Glass signaled Baird’s job was in jeopardy April 20 after the Royals fell to 2-12 after a winless nine-game road trip through New York, Tampa Bay and Chicago.

“It has to change quickly,” he said. “We are not willing to wait to see if it gets better. We have to make it get better… If it doesn’t turn around, we’ll have to change things.

“We can’t wait too long. I’m not willing to go through a season like we did last year. None of us are.”

Glass’ patience seemed exhausted by May 4 when he declared: “I’m out of patience. I have never been this frustrated. I’ve got to do something. This can’t continue.”

It was at that point, from all indications, that Glass accelerated his search for a new general manager. He initially hoped to complete the process within a day or two.

It soon became an ordeal that lasted nearly four weeks and effectively paralyzed the organization as Baird’s administrative effectiveness steadily waned amid the mounting speculation of impending change.

Baird, 44, finally called publicly for “closure” earlier this week.

The Royals, ironically, entered Wednesday’s game in search of their first sweep in a road series in nearly three years after victories Monday and Tuesday over the A’s in Oakland.

Even so, their 13-37 record is the worst in baseball and matches the worst in franchise history through 50 games. They were also 13-37 last season, when they finished 56-106.

Moore, 39, will be the sixth general manager in franchise history. He is currently responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Braves’ scouting and player development as an assistant to general manager John Schuerholz.

The Star reported Saturday that Glass offered the job to Moore after more than 10 days of discussions. Sources said Moore wanted written assurance that he would have full and final authority on all baseball-related decisions before accepting the offer.

The Royals were 381-576 in Baird’s tenure, which began June 17, 2000, when he replaced Herk Robinson. He spent 12 previous seasons in the organization in various roles.

The organization’s primary failure under Baird was in its inability to draft and develop high-quality players in recent years. The current 25-man roster has only two players — outfielders David DeJesus and Shane Costa — who were drafted in Baird’s six seasons.

Further, several recent lineups mocked the very idea that the club is engaged in a rebuilding plan. The Royals started five players Tuesday against Oakland who were 30 years or older.

While Baird and his staff succeeded in uncovering some real bargains on the free-agent fringe, they proved far less successful in obtaining top value when forced by financial considerations to trade players such as Johnny Damon, Carlos Beltran and Jermaine Dye.

It was the Beltran trade — on June 24, 2004 — that marked the latest full-scale effort to rebuild their roster. The Royals received catcher John Buck, third baseman Mark Teahen and pitcher Mike Wood in return.

They are also 99-206 since that point.

This year’s disappointing performance comes after Glass authorized a payroll increase that allowed Baird to spend nearly $25 million in the off-season on veteran players to supplement a youthful and often-overmatched roster.

The anticipated mix has been derailed by injuries.

Three of the club’s anticipated starting pitchers — Mark Redman, Denny Bautista and Zack Greinke — have spent time on the disabled list. Greinke and closer Mike MacDougal have been out all season.

Another starter, Runelvys Hernandez, required three-plus weeks of additional conditioning time in the minors before joining the club. He was recently optioned back to Class AAA Omaha because of poor performance.

Injuries also sidelined two of the club’s key regulars: DeJesus and DH Mike Sweeney. DeJesus returned Monday after a 34-game absence, while Sweeney, who has already missed 26 games, isn’t expected back for several more weeks because of a bulging cervical disk in his neck.

To reach Bob Dutton, Royals reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4352 or send email to bdutton@kcstar.com

Who cares??!! Nothing will change.

Brock 05-31-2006 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther_Fan

Way to take up as much space as possible, douchebag.

ChiTown 05-31-2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther_Fan

STFU

sedated 05-31-2006 02:56 PM

He will trade the old guys, but that's nothing new.

What would be new, however, is if he got something of value for them.

nascher 05-31-2006 02:57 PM

**** sweeney

petegz28 05-31-2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

I think Bell will get a chance unless there is someone else standing in the wings Moore wants.

If thigs go right players may actually want to play for the Royals. Good players can make any coach look good.

FringeNC 05-31-2006 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28
If thigs go right players may actually want to play for the Royals. Good players can make any coach look good.

The Royals will never be big free-agent players (until IPTV dominates cable TV. Internet revenues are split evenly). The only way the Royals can compete is by having a superior farm system. Right now, we are ranked near the bottom and have been consistently shitty under Robinson - Baird. Atlanta is almost always ranked in the top 10, usually in the top 5.

sedated 05-31-2006 03:10 PM

How many times have you seen the headline "Royal Flush"?

Lets have a little originality, people