ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   You want a project QB to groom for the future? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=14300)

Cannibal 12-04-2000 12:57 PM

IMO, the Chiefs should trade the extra 4th round draft pick they get from the Stai trade, to the Patriots for Mike Bishop.

The precedent has been set with the Aaron Brooks trade between the Saints and Packers.

Bishop is prototype QB of the future of the same mold as McNabb and Culpepper.

There's your QB of the future.

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 12-04-2000).]

BroncoFan 12-04-2000 12:59 PM

Elvis Grbac

WisChief 12-04-2000 12:59 PM

Why is that? I haven't seen him play. Brooks is proving his worth. Who is this guy? http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bob Dole 12-04-2000 01:00 PM

Bishop is a former K-State QB.

[This message has been edited by Robert_Dole (edited 12-04-2000).]

Clint in Wichita 12-04-2000 01:01 PM

The fact that division rivals STILL like the idea of EG at QB shows that something is wrong, IMO.

I wouldn't be upset at all to see Grbac and his inflated salary let go.

Cannibal 12-04-2000 01:05 PM

I'm not saying we have to let Girlbac go.

We just need a good young player that can be developed and take a lot snaps in garbage time. <P>

Clint in Wichita 12-04-2000 01:06 PM

Where's Lawrence Taylor when you need him?

DaWolf 12-04-2000 01:10 PM

I'm hearing that the Pats may let Bledsoe look for greener pastures after this season, so while that is an unsubstantiated rumor, they really like Bishop...

Gaz 12-04-2000 01:24 PM

Bishop may indeed be the wave of the future, but he has a LONG way to go before he is ready to be a NFL QB. K-State is my college football team of choice, so I saw Bishop quite a bit. He has a true cannon for an arm and great running ability.

The bad news is that he looks to run before he looks to pass and has a reputation of being on the low side of the IQ scale.

Is that coachable? Perhaps.

Still, unless he costs us an arm and a leg [which we need to spend on Garner/Dillon/Barber, et al], it would be worth a try.

xoxo~
gaz
willing to take a chance, provided it doesn't cost too much.<BR>

Cannibal 12-04-2000 01:33 PM

I do think Bishop may be on the low side of the IQ scale in general. However, I do think he has a very good football IQ.

He has the ability score from anywhere on the field with his arm and his legs. A true impact player.

He needs to be coached in the same manner that Culpepper is right now.

Pitt Gorilla 12-04-2000 03:49 PM

I like Bishop as a project. However, I think he may be available without compensation after the season(the patties KNOW he's not too bright.) I also don't see him being in the same class as Brooks. Brooks is an incredibly bright kid, from what I've read and remember reading during that draft. Bishop, by almost ALL acounts, is not.

------------------
GO PITT!

Iowanian 12-04-2000 04:06 PM

Chief plans for QBOF,

soak Warren Moon in WD40 and oil all winter, get the rust out, and resign him to 5 year contract....that WD40 is great stuff....and actually does help arthritis.

G_Man 12-04-2000 04:09 PM

I've heard that he has really good trade value, so i wouldn't expect to see him released (as was stated earlier). As for trading a 4th, I would probably agree if I had actually seen him play more than the handful of Patriots snaps I've seen. I wouldn't just let grbac go, though, unless he wants TOO much. Grbac is turning into a great QB and he probably hasn't peaked yet. Give him a RB and we'd be contenders right now (and maybe a D). I'd take Bishop as a project though.

As for Brooks, I thought I read recently that he WASN'T too bright, and that his test scores scared some people off.

Cannibal 12-04-2000 04:10 PM

How can everyone not like what's going on in Philly and Minnesota?

We could have the same thing here in Bishop, but at a much cheaper price.

Bishop does have the same ability as Culpepper and McNabb. I know for a fact that his arm is stronger.

ck_IN 12-04-2000 04:11 PM

Uh, excuse me, but if we know he's a mental doorknob and the Pats know he's a mental doorknob and if the Pats, who drafted him don't want him, why would we want him?

A million dollar arm coupled with a 5 cent head amounts to a 5 cent arm.

Cannibal 12-04-2000 04:16 PM

Prove that Bishop is a mental doorknob.

Prove it.

Cannibal 12-04-2000 04:18 PM

Bishop's problem is that he's playing behind one of the best QB's in the league. The Pats aren't going to give up on Bledsoe.

Just like the Packers weren't going to give up Favre.

He needs a chance to play to put it simply.

Iowanian 12-04-2000 04:18 PM

here's a test for him..

Q. Mr Bishop, how many fingers am i holding up(showing 6)

A. it be fow..

I'm sorry, may I show you an application for the XFL?

OF course, that was eric dickerson's answer and he'll be in the HOF, and is on MNF....so what do dis dummy knowd?

[This message has been edited by Iowanian (edited 12-04-2000).]

Mi_chief_fan 12-04-2000 04:20 PM

Iowa,
Neaarly fell out of my chair laughing. :)<BR>

Clint in Wichita 12-04-2000 04:21 PM

As if Grbac is some sort of genius.

The things Elvis lacks are things that cannot be taught.

The things Bishop lacks are things that can be taught.

I would take a chance on a player with unbelievable physical talent and a questionable brain over a mediocre physical talent and a decidedly weak mental game in a minute.

ck_IN 12-04-2000 04:23 PM

Without interviewing the man personally Cannibal I have to admit I can't prove it. However at the combines coaches backed off from him because of his test scores and interviews. The general consensus was the guy was dumb. A knock against him in college was he couldn't handle a complicated offense so they used some variation of a run and shoot so he could play sandlot ball. I've also seen him interviewed and I wasn't awestruck with his wisdom.

Like I said, million dollar arm, five cent head.

Iowanian 12-04-2000 04:24 PM

It sounds like Troy davis(ISU) syndrome...Ran 2000+ yards for 2-3 years...and didn't/doesn't have enough brain power to remember right from left....when was the last time you heard his name mentioned?

Dumb guys can't do it..."I pay fubol, give og ball" just doesn't cut it at this level..

But I don't know Bishop, much about him...and he may well be on his way to a future as Chiefs Offensive Coordinator...Special(K) teams coach for sure...

Cannibal 12-04-2000 04:29 PM

The man has insane skills on the football field.

What you do is give him a simple offense and let him make plays.

Bishop could be doing the same thing Culpepper is in Minnesota right now. You know why? Because Denny Green would give him a shot, he can coach young players and he can build an offense. I don't think Culpepper and Moss are the smartest guys in the world either, but they dominate the competition with a simple game plan and crazy althetic talent.

Clint in Wichita 12-04-2000 04:31 PM

If Carl was looking at bringing in Bishop to be head coach, I'd be concerned about his intelligence.

When I see other good NFL players on TV, I see Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Corey Dillon, Edgerrin James (Now THERE's a mental reject!), Jeff George, Isaac Bruce (Remember the religious comments after DT's death?), a whole host of Raiders & Cowboys, and many others which I'm sure I'm overlooking. All talented, all dumb as sh_t AND bad characters. Many are also guys I'd LOVE to see in Chiefs gear.

Or maybe they can continue signing "smart guys" like Bush and Cloud.

ck_IN 12-04-2000 04:32 PM

If Bishop is SOOOO good then why don't the Pats play him more? The way Bledsoe is getting killed this year a mobile strong-armed QB with insane skills should garner a lot more playing time.

My hunch on why he's the designated hail-Mary thrower and option runner? Because he can't handle the Pats O, and a simple O would get stuffed by an NFL calibure D and DC in about five plays.

Cannibal 12-04-2000 04:33 PM

kueser,

Do you think Minnesota's Offense is complicated?

Clint in Wichita 12-04-2000 04:34 PM

Troy Davis failed because he didn't have anywhere near enough talent to produce against real competition just like:

Rashaan Salaam
Leland McElroy
Greg Hill
Curtis Enis
Brian Shay
Thomas Jones
and many, many others.

ck_IN 12-04-2000 04:35 PM

Interesting list Clint. Was the fact that the only name you mentioned that was a QB was Jeffie George lost on you? Jeffie is a lot of things and I detest the man but he's far from dumb.

Now if Bishop wants to play Rb, DB, WR, etc., fine bring him in. As long as he can tell Red & Gold from Black & Silver then he's mentally sufficient.

Cannibal 12-04-2000 04:36 PM

kueser,

Do you think Minnesota's Offense is complicated?

Clint in Wichita 12-04-2000 04:36 PM

The Patriots coaching staff is awful...even worse than KC's, IMO. They should've started using Bishop the moment the playoffs were out of reach. I guess they'd rather evaluate the immense talent of John Friez.

Bishop will be in Patriot gear longer than the current coaching staff, IMO.

ck_IN 12-04-2000 04:37 PM

It's not 49er complicated but it's light years beyond anything K-State has ever considered running.

And having Chris Carpenter is like having another coach for the kid(s).

Cannibal 12-04-2000 04:39 PM

Chris Carpenter?

Don't you mean Chris Carter?

Maybe we should be questioning your intelligence.

Clint in Wichita 12-04-2000 04:41 PM

Well, I'm sure that Bishop isn't in Carl's plans, and that Elvis will get a huge extension. We'll see how many trophies that football genius brings to KC.

Cannibal 12-04-2000 04:41 PM

Minnesota's Offense is as simple as it gets in pro football.

Anyone could run it.

Do you know what they told Culpepper?

Go through your reads and if nothing is there, run the ball.<BR>

Clint in Wichita 12-04-2000 04:46 PM

I'd bet money that the Florida Gator's offensive playbook contains more plays than the Minnesota Vikings'.

Cannibal 12-04-2000 04:49 PM

I agree, and with that simple system the Vikes have the best record in the league and will probably win Superbowl if their D can hold up.

It certainly won't be the fault of those "stupid" players like Culpepper and Moss.

Pitt Gorilla 12-04-2000 05:02 PM

I have a friend who played at K state with Bishop and confirmed that he is very dim.

------------------
GO PITT!

G_Man 12-04-2000 05:15 PM

Culpepper was a, what, 11th overall selection? Bishop was a 7th rounder. I think it's a little unfair to Culpepper to keep comparing him to Bishop, who's done squat so far in the NFL. He may be talented, but there has to be a reason he was a 7th rounder and is now a 3rd stringer behind Friesz.

Cannibal 12-04-2000 05:44 PM

I think the biggest reason he is now a third stringer behind Frieze is because of his attitude.

He simply does not want to wait to play and he's been boisterous about it. He has a competitive fire. I like that in a player.

The bottom line here is that he would be a very good talent to develop. With the Chiefs record the way it is, who would you rather see the Chiefs trotting out there at QB if Grbac is injured? Warren Moon, or Mike Bishop?

The answer is pretty easy if you ask me.

G_Man 12-04-2000 05:50 PM

I have no problem bringing him aboard as a project, but try to hold the Culpepper comparisons until he takes a snap or two in the NFL. It's not like we'd be instantly turned into the Minnesota Vikings.

And ditching Grbac after he has his best season for an unproven 3rd string QB would be a very bad decision, IMO. I totally agree with getting someone to be the QBOTF, but the way you make it sound is as if Bishop's a can't miss prospect -- which he's not.

Cannibal 12-04-2000 06:00 PM

I never said ditch Girlbac once in this thread.

I'm talking about taking a QB with excellent skills and trying to hone them into something we can use. Rather than running deteriorated old man on to the field when the starter is injured.

I'm not saying Bishop is Culpepper either. I'm saying that Bishop has all the athletic skill that Culpepper does and I think he could do the same things. The difference is that Culpepper was given a shot, while Bishop was not.

G_Man 12-04-2000 06:04 PM

It was Clint who seemed to be for letting Grbac go. I don't think anyone would mind having Bishop as a backup/QBOTF, but if he was to be our QB INSTEAD OF Grbac, then I'd disagree.

[This message has been edited by G_Man (edited 12-04-2000).]

Clint in Wichita 12-04-2000 06:55 PM

I'd rather have John Friez than Grbac w/ a $10 million roster bonus or a 5 year extension.

Raiderhater 12-04-2000 07:02 PM

Someone who thinks like me. I love Bishop. The guy has real potential. I was dissapointed when the Chiefs didn't take him in the draft. I would love to see him in Red and Gold.

------------------
WILDCATS 29
corn balls 28

Logical 12-04-2000 07:21 PM

Cannibal,

We often disagree, but I agree that a 4th round pick for Bishop would probably be a good deal. I however thought it was a 5th round pick for Stai.

Cannibal 12-04-2000 07:31 PM

Jim,

I'm pretty sure it's a 4th rounder. I could be wrong though. Maybe someone can verify this.