ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I'm on the Schaub band wagon for 07 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=154788)

Red Dawg 12-20-2006 07:16 AM

I'm on the Schaub band wagon for 07

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagents.html

TN_Chief 12-20-2006 07:28 AM

Is there room for one more? That wouldn't be a bad signing at all IMO.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-20-2006 07:39 AM

He's spent the last three years in the WCO. I'm sure he'll be a seamless transition...:rolleyes:

CupidStunt 12-20-2006 07:48 AM

RFA = no chance.

Any good RFAs (and that gives him the benefit of the doubt as being good) are simply not signed by other teams, and he's sure as hell not worth all the draft compensation Atlanta would require.

A better thread would be, "I'm on the Chris Simms bandwagon for '07".

Whether or not he's any good also remains to be seen, but at least he's an UNrestricted free agent.

Eleazar 12-20-2006 07:50 AM

I wouldn't be a fan of surrendering a probable round 1 or 2 pick for him in addition to a big contract, considering how many holes we have to fill.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-20-2006 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj4mvp
RFA = no chance.

Any good RFAs (and that gives him the benefit of the doubt as being good) are simply not signed by other teams, and he's sure as hell not worth all the draft compensation Atlanta would require.

A better thread would be, "I'm on the Chris Simms bandwagon for '07".

Whether or not he's any good also remains to be seen, but at least he's an UNrestricted free agent.

He's also another guy who would have to learn a whole new system coming here. Why not just bring in a cheaper alternative and continue to groom Croyle or if you don't like his development, draft a QB who fits the system.

KC Jones 12-20-2006 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
I wouldn't be a fan of surrendering a probable round 1 or 2 pick for him in addition to a big contract, considering how many holes we have to fill.

I'm with you. I think we'll still have Trent for a couple of years at least. In the mean time we have glaring holes on our O-line, WRs, DT, and an ancient secondary. This team is depleted and we need years of drafting smart to correct it. Save the picks and get as much young talent as we can for all of the holes.

King_Chief_Fan 12-20-2006 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hummus' Jenkins
He's also another guy who would have to learn a whole new system coming here. Why not just bring in a cheaper alternative and continue to groom Croyle or if you don't like his development, draft a QB who fits the system.

resign Huard for 2 years...develop Croyle........oh wait, Chiefs never have been able to develop a QB.
Plan B?

Mecca 12-20-2006 08:11 AM

When teams call the Falcons about Schaub they ask for a 1st and a 3rd......

chagrin 12-20-2006 08:14 AM

Quote:

He's spent the last three years in the WCO. I'm sure he'll be a seamless transition...:rolleyes:

Thank you :clap:

Deberg_1990 12-20-2006 09:45 AM

Id love to bring the guy in here.

Hire a new offensive Coordinator in the off season. Let Trent walk or trade him. Rebuild the O-line.

Lets start fresh...

Deberg_1990 12-20-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
When teams call the Falcons about Schaub they ask for a 1st and a 3rd......

If they are asking for that much, he needs to be tstarting for them then.

That price will come down as teams negotiate.

JBucc 12-20-2006 09:51 AM

That list sucks. I like Schaub but for the reasons listed above that isn't a good option. So other than keeping Huard the only one I'd be interested in is Tim Rattay.

BWillie 12-20-2006 10:32 AM

I want Matt Cassell. He's a diamond in the rough. http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/552470

TN_Chief 12-20-2006 10:38 AM

Frankly, I don't think he'll go anywhere...the Falcons still don't know what they've got with Vick, and Schaub has always seemed capable when he's played. I don't think they'll let him go.

That said, I stand by my opinion that he'd look pretty good in a Chiefs uni. So he's played in a West-Coast offense (maybe...I'm not sure you can really call the Falcons offense that). BFD. You can learn a new offense.

Easy 6 12-20-2006 10:40 AM

If Trent goes i would rather keep Huard & bring in a QB guru to school Brody.

I have changed my tune about Damon, he knows the system, played very well & the system could be worked around him even more. Not to mention that hopefully the line is bolstered & a #1 WR brought in.

On second thought, maybe we dont need a QB "guru", Shea could probably mold Croyle. He certainly had Damon playing well.

FloridaMan88 12-20-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

This argument you have attempted to make multiple times about Schaub being a bad option because he isn't familiar with the system is a pretty pathetic argument.

KNOWING a system and having the physical tools and skills to EXECUTE and EXCEL in a system are two different things and the latter is far more important. Todd Collins has been in this system of offense for a half a decade now yet he wouldn't be able to perform anything close to as well as Schaub would be able to.

Schaub has a strong arm and precision accuracy... you can't teach that.

If you only want a QB who has extensive knowledge of this system that would limit your choices to the likes of Kurt Warner, Jamie Martin, Todd Collins and Damon Huard... none of whom are long term solutions.

Mr. Laz 12-20-2006 11:48 AM

maybe in '08 ... but he's not going anywhere in Atlanta unless someone trades for him.

i doubt Atlanta does trade him either ..... cause deep down they know that Vick isn't the answer.

Bowser 12-20-2006 11:54 AM

If we're going to trade away a first round draft pick, it had best be for a player like Chris Samuels.

Even if Schaub did come here, he'd still be playing QB on a team with a guard at left tackle.

chubychecker 12-20-2006 12:17 PM

What about that kid who played for Arizona last year; McCown. I don't even know where he is playing now which is probably a negative reflection of his talent level. He sured played well in limited duty though. Probably could be had for a lot less.

Hootie 12-20-2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007
I want Matt Cassell. He's a diamond in the rough. http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/552470

Dude never even played in college. No thanks.

Hootie 12-20-2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser
If we're going to trade away a first round draft pick, it had best be for a player like Chris Samuels.

Even if Schaub did come here, he'd still be playing QB on a team with a guard at left tackle.

why the hell is washington going to trade their pro bowl LT?

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-20-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88
This argument you have attempted to make multiple times about Schaub being a bad option because he isn't familiar with the system is a pretty pathetic argument.

KNOWING a system and having the physical tools and skills to EXECUTE and EXCEL in a system are two different things and the latter is far more important. Todd Collins has been in this system of offense for a half a decade now yet he wouldn't be able to perform anything close to as well as Schaub would be able to.

Schaub has a strong arm and precision accuracy... you can't teach that.

If you only want a QB who has extensive knowledge of this system that would limit your choices to the likes of Kurt Warner, Jamie Martin, Todd Collins and Damon Huard... none of whom are long term solutions.

Or should I back that up with the additional info that he's never done anything in the regular season? Should I salivate over the fact that he was MVP of the Tokyo Bowl? You have no idea what you are talking about. Learning the Coryell offense isn't exactly like learning how to play dominos, it's incredibly complex.

We have a QB here w/ a year in the system in Croyle. We can pick up some street trash to be our 3rd stringer. Green isn't going anywhere next year. He'll give us one more year before we can transition to the rookie. If the coaches don't like what they've seen from Croyle, they can draft another QB, but wasting a 2nd rounder-3rd rounder (which is what it would take in compensation, most likely) for a still unproven Schaub, is foolish

Demonpenz 12-20-2006 01:03 PM

herm is going to mold croyle into the type of quarterback he wants. Game manager who dinks and dunks and doesn't turn the ball over. Hell he will probably teach him how to punt so they can do that on 2nd and 3rd downs

L.A. Chieffan 12-20-2006 01:09 PM

Do we ALWAYS have to run out and get everybodys leftovers or second stringers?

Spicy McHaggis 12-20-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free
If Trent goes i would rather keep Huard & bring in a QB guru to school Brody.

I have my doubts Huard will be a Chief next year. He definately did enough to have a team desperate for a QB plunk a good deal of money down in front of him and I don't think Carl would match.

Also as well as Huard handled this past year I imagine he'd like to be somewhere with a coach who looks him in the eye and tells him he's the starter.

Easy 6 12-20-2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis
I have my doubts Huard will be a Chief next year. He definately did enough to have a team desperate for a QB plunk a good deal of money down in front of him and I don't think Carl would match.

Also as well as Huard handled this past year I imagine he'd like to be somewhere with a coach who looks him in the eye and tells him he's the starter.

Good points all, but its hard to say if Trent will come back & if he doesnt
i would bet Herm does give Damon the nod. Unless Huard goes to a team that runs a similar system, i think he would be making a bad move to leave.

He's a pretty old dog to be learning new tricks.

milkman 12-20-2006 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan
Do we ALWAYS have to run out and get everybodys leftovers or second stringers?

In this case, Atlanta's "leftover" is a pretty damn good one.

I, however, wouldn't give up a draft pick for him, because he is still a relatively unproven commodity.

I also like Croyle's potential.

I'd wait till Shaub reaches UFA status, then go after him to compete for the job.

That way you have two young QBs with potential, so you won't be putting all your eggs in one basket.

BucEyedPea 12-20-2006 02:45 PM

I wouldn't mind havin' Schaub!
Simms is out! Rattay is in.

Hootie 12-20-2006 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis

I don't think Huard has the LJ syndrome and needs a coach to constantlyl reassure him.

Besides, being a backup QB is the best job in sports.

Chiefs Pantalones 12-20-2006 02:54 PM

While Trent is not yet done, I think it's time to start thinking about it. I think the last two games should be Croyle's.

Tribal Warfare 12-20-2006 03:32 PM

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/...eagentsOL.html

Ryan Lilja, RFA, Indianapolis Colts

BigCatDaddy 12-20-2006 03:43 PM

Having to resign Freeney this year should take up a lot of their cap space. Teams may have a shot at signing Lilja away.

Hammock Parties 12-20-2006 03:55 PM

Croyle is going to be the next quarterback to get a shot as the starter after Trent Green. Why people haven't accepted this fact is beyond me.

bsp4444 12-20-2006 04:07 PM

There were some awfully nice looking O-Linemen on that list. Leonard Davis, maybe?

Calcountry 12-20-2006 05:25 PM

You can't stump the Schwab.

Tribal Warfare 12-20-2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsp4444
There were some awfully nice looking O-Linemen on that list. Leonard Davis, maybe?

I take Davis only as an OG, because he's not quick enough for the OT position

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-20-2006 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsp4444

If it were 2001, when he wasn't a monumental bust...perhaps.

Easy 6 12-20-2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubychecker
What about that kid who played for Arizona last year; McCown. I don't even know where he is playing now which is probably a negative reflection of his talent level. He sured played well in limited duty though. Probably could be had for a lot less.

Thats a thought that could really sneak up on me, i've always thought it was a HUGE mistake for Denny to bring in Warner, McCown had looked VERY competitive & "feisty" every time i had seen him.

Downright old-time Favre-esque IMO, pocket aware...good accuracy on the scramble, does'nt have the same arm but can still make the throws.

If Trent goes, he would be a PERFECT guy to bring in for #2 behind Damon & to push or succeed Brody. Character player.

Good call CC.