ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Excerpts from Friday's ESPN Page 2 Sportsguy (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=155271)

TN_Chief 12-29-2006 11:55 AM

Excerpts from Friday's ESPN Page 2 Sportsguy

You can read the entire article here.
Quote:

Random note: Congrats to Herm Edwards for turning Larry Johnson into the modern-day Earl Campbell. Four hundred carries in one season?!?!?!?!?!?!?? Did you know he's 27 carries away from breaking Jamal Anderson's record of 410? Here's how many carries Jamal had the following season: 19. I can't get over this. Let's say John Gibbons switched to a four-man rotation this spring and Roy Halladay cracked the 300-inning mark by Labor Day. Would an hour go by without somebody on "Baseball Tonight" or ESPN.com or Baseball Prospectus mentioning how absolutely insane this was? Meanwhile, we have Herm running poor LJ into the ground and everything's cool. Even if they end up making the playoffs, he's going to be a carcass by mid-January. Ridiculous. Why does this stuff make me so angry?
Quote:

Speaking of Madden, I've had multiple readers imploring me to start a "Save Tomlinson from appearing on the Madden 2008 cover" campaign. Intriguing. Part of me wants to save him; part of me can't forgive him for stealing Lawrence Taylor's nickname and boning me over in my fantasy title game last week. Couldn't we just convince EA Sports to stick Larry Johnson on there? We already know he's breaking down next season. He's the logical guy. It even could be a picture of LJ being tackled by nine guys as Herm Edwards looks on nonchalantly in the background.
I don't usually agree with the Sportsguy. But in this case...I'm holding my breath.

teedubya 12-29-2006 11:58 AM

LaDainian HAS to go on the Madden cover. heh.

El Jefe 12-29-2006 11:59 AM

No way he is gonna "break down" he is comparing Jamaal Anderson to LJ, big difference like 30 pounds and considering this is LJ's first full season, no way he breaks down the man is a tank. My referance of Anderson to LJ is this: LJ is younger and bigger and he doesnt take a lot of vicious hits, he gives them, and so he doesnt absorb as much IMO.

Deberg_1990 12-29-2006 12:00 PM

The thing that stings the most about LJ is him getting so much work, yet the best we will be is
9-7 and out of the playoffs.

It would be far more acceptable if we were sitting at 12-3

What a waste....

TN_Chief 12-29-2006 12:02 PM

I hope you're right GoLJ...I seem to remember Jamaal being a pretty big/bruising runner. Time will tell, and as much as I dislike Herm I'd prefer that my feelings not be validated by watching a future superstar end up toasted.

El Jefe 12-29-2006 12:06 PM

Deberg_1990, Yeah I agree it wouldnt be so bad if all those carries got us somewhere, instead of getting front row seats to watch from the couch. Honestly TN_Chief I hope I am right too LOL.

OnTheWarpath15 12-29-2006 12:08 PM

The year Anderson got 410 carries was his 5th year in the league, his 3rd as the starter.

This is LJ's second year with a heavy load. If he gets 400+ again next year, maybe I'll get concerned.

BTW, Anderson was 5'11" and 237.......

Simplex3 12-29-2006 12:09 PM

What is it about us as human beings that makes us (kcchiefsfanGoLJ) believe that the things related to us are somehow immune from reality? Historically in the NFL it is the big backs that do break down. Of the elite backs it's the smaller guys that have longer, healthier careers. Big guys who get the rock 350+ times in a season blow a knee early the next.

StcChief 12-29-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3
What is it about us as human beings that makes us (kcchiefsfanGoLJ) believe that the things related to us are somehow immune from reality? Historically in the NFL it is the big backs that do break down. Of the elite backs it's the smaller guys that have longer, healthier careers. Big guys who get the rock 350+ times in a season blow a knee early the next.

With that logic it's time to trade LJ in off season for 1st and 3rd rounder or combo deal with good player.

We could be the new Dungver and just plug in any back. :)

TN_Chief 12-29-2006 12:17 PM

I don't think that's what Simplex is suggesting Stc...how about we just moderate LJ's workload a bit? It'd be nice to have him around (and productive) for awhile.

Simplex3 12-29-2006 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StcChief
With that logic it's time to trade LJ in off season for 1st and 3rd rounder or combo deal with good player.

We could be the new Dungver and just plug in any back. :)

I'm not saying it WILL happen but if you're playing the odds that's a smart move. Add to that the contract issues we're going to have with him, the fact that he doesn't want to be in KC, and the age of our rapidly declining OL and it might be smart of us to move him if we can get 2+ quality starters for him.

Or he could be the guy that breaks the mold. I'd say the chances of that are slim, though.

L.A. Chieffan 12-29-2006 12:20 PM

HAHA sports guy is funny and correct. LJ is being WAAAAy overused.
Not that we don't already know that.

Simplex3 12-29-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN_Chief
I don't think that's what Simplex is suggesting Stc...how about we just moderate LJ's workload a bit? It'd be nice to have him around (and productive) for awhile.

This was the real answer, but that ship sailed when Herm showed up.

wazu 12-29-2006 12:21 PM

LJ won't come close to breaking Jamal's actual carry number, cause he won't be in the playoffs.

ptlyon 12-29-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
LJ won't come close to breaking Jamal's actual carry number, cause he won't be in the playoffs.

He averages 25 a game - he might.

Reerun_KC 12-29-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN_Chief
You can read the entire article here.

I don't usually agree with the Sportsguy. But in this case...I'm holding my breath.

Great find. This is so fitting, how many times have we whatched Herm just helpless on the sideline, knowing no matter how many times he hands off on first down. There will still be 9 in the box...

Best article of the year on the Chiefs....

Redrum_69 12-29-2006 12:24 PM

LJ is setting a record NO OTHER running back would ever want...EVER

and I still think next years Madden cover goes to LT...then he'll be out for all of 2007

greg63 12-29-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

...part of me can't forgive him for...boning me over...
LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

TN_Chief 12-29-2006 12:27 PM

OBTW...Sportsguy also suggests we crown Sportsgal's ass. Who's with me?

chief52 12-29-2006 12:28 PM

Obviously all these carries are going to take a toll on LJ. It has to. The Chiefs need to find a way to give him a break if they want to maximize his talents over a period of time.

ptlyon 12-29-2006 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief52
The Chiefs need to find a way to give him a break if they want to maximize his talents over a period of time.

:hmmm:

http://www.thescooterstore.com/image...gogo_elite.jpg

ferrarispider95 12-29-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon

You need to get 2 rascals, one also for bennett who pulls a hammy getting out of bed :banghead:

Which in turn causes more carries for LJ because DEE brown suckth baows

El Jefe 12-29-2006 01:02 PM

OnTheWarPath, wow I had no idea he was that big I figured 205-210, but I didnt feel like looking up info on him.

Reerun_KC 12-29-2006 01:17 PM

Bump this thread.

It is to good and to true to be falling this fast.

Were are all the Herm lovers at?

htismaqe 12-29-2006 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC
Bump this thread.

It is to good and to true to be falling this fast.

There never were any Herm LOVERS. But you're too busy running off at the mouth to notice...

Nice to see you're ENJOYING the death spiral of the team and it's star player. That takes REAL character.

Reerun_KC 12-29-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
There never were any Herm LOVERS. But you're too busy running off at the mouth to notice...

Nice to see you're ENJOYING the death spiral of the team and it's star player. That takes REAL character.

There you are.. Nice to see you come out and play, what happened to your petty name calling?

Never said I was enjoying the death spiral or the fact that your boy Herm is running LJ into the ground... You should be proud of the way Herm is running the team. It is kind of sad, just like your posts....

DaneMcCloud 12-29-2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StcChief

So you'd trade LJ for Trezelle Jenkins and Eric Downing? Or how about LJ for Victor Riley & Julian Battle? Or maybe, just maybe, John Tait & Gary Stills?

No way, no how, no thanks.

htismaqe 12-29-2006 02:19 PM

Quote:

There you are.. Nice to see you come out and play, what happened to your petty name calling?

Never said I was enjoying the death spiral or the fact that your boy Herm is running LJ into the ground... You should be proud of the way Herm is running the team. It is kind of sad, just like your posts....

I explained before that it was a typo...but there you are again, talking instead of reading first, which ALWAYS makes you look like an idiot.

I do love the "your boy Herm" schtick. It's the weakest part of an already intellectually deficient argument.

Here's a fact for you:

I don't like Herm or his coaching style. I just like you less.

Reerun_KC 12-29-2006 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
I explained before that it was a typo...but there you are again, talking instead of reading first, which ALWAYS makes you look like an idiot.

I do love the "your boy Herm" schtick. It's the weakest part of an already intellectually deficient argument.

Here's a fact for you:

I don't like Herm or his coaching style. I just like you less.

Dang Htismaqe, You really don’t work or play well with others does you? Nice to see that something as trivial as a message board can get under your skin so easily, it is funny but sad to say the least.

“Which ALWAYS makes you look like an idiot.” What does that make you, for always quoting and replying to my posts?

BTW friend, I could careless if you like me or not.

Halfcan 12-29-2006 02:48 PM

Tired of hearing about it-LJ is happy so STFU already.

Rausch 12-29-2006 02:58 PM

I didn't seem to notice any lingering injuries due to the increased workload. This pace can't go on forever but perhaps a respectable O line and a more consistent defense will allow herm to lay off the battering ram.

Right now it looks like he's trying to protect the QB and his defense, and for good reason...

Archie Bunker 12-29-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

They probably don't give a crap what you and the sportsguy think.

thepascalblaze 12-29-2006 03:11 PM

I agree with Rausch here, Improve the O-line... reduce the hits...

... not necessarily the carries...

...in fact with improvement in run-blocking, LJ will tear off more long runs, and take his normal 2 play break after, thereby reducing overall carries...

Reerun_KC 12-29-2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie Bunker
They probably don't give a crap what you and the sportsguy think.

probably not, just like the Herm bashers, no one cares what they think either.....

htismaqe 12-29-2006 05:09 PM

Quote:

Dang Htismaqe, You really don’t work or play well with others does you? Nice to see that something as trivial as a message board can get under your skin so easily, it is funny but sad to say the least.

“Which ALWAYS makes you look like an idiot.” What does that make you, for always quoting and replying to my posts?

BTW friend, I could careless if you like me or not.

I've never played well with people who don't think before they post.

As for it getting under my skin, nothing could be further from the truth. I've been here for almost 7 years, I've seen it all. It's just that I've seen your schtick about 200 times and it hasn't changed a bit.

A parrot can say somebody sucks over and over again.

milkman 12-29-2006 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsfanGoLJ
OnTheWarPath, wow I had no idea he was that big I figured 205-210, but I didnt feel like looking up info on him.

Aside from the fact that Anderson was a load, he was also a year younger than LJ is when he set the carries record.

Mecca 12-29-2006 08:09 PM

I've been saying this for a long while and had people argue with me about it.....nice to see I'm not the only person who thinks Larry Johnson is going to rapidly decline after this year.

Skip Towne 12-29-2006 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsfanGoLJ
No way he is gonna "break down" he is comparing Jamaal Anderson to LJ, big difference like 30 pounds and considering this is LJ's first full season, no way he breaks down the man is a tank. My referance of Anderson to LJ is this: LJ is younger and bigger and he doesnt take a lot of vicious hits, he gives them, and so he doesnt absorb as much IMO.

LJ weighs 230, Anderson 237.

Mecca 12-29-2006 08:11 PM

Jamal Anderson looked like he was more suited to carry alot than LJ he was shorter and heavier...he looked like a bowling ball.

Wile_E_Coyote 12-29-2006 08:20 PM

but LJ is a pussy for standing on the sideline after riping off a 15 yard run. Comedy

Mecca 12-29-2006 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wile_E_Coyote
but LJ is a pussy for standing on the sideline after riping off a 15 yard run. Comedy

You have to understand there's a ton of people that think LJ will have no consequences to how many times he's carried the ball. I've been saying he has to many carries for quite awhile and most people just argue with me and say it will have no affect on him.

tk13 12-29-2006 08:34 PM

I don't think he's going to fall off the face of the earth, he's a pretty tough guy, he can give us a few years. Earl Campbell had about 5 good years. Some would say he's already declining... he's averaging almost a full ypc less than last year, and he had more 20+ yard runs last year and he wasn't a full time starter. That's part of the reason I wasn't in any hurry to see Priest go... LJ looked like something from another universe, but the more we beat on him he'll just be a really good running back.

Mecca 12-29-2006 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
I don't think he's going to fall off the face of the earth, he's a pretty tough guy, he can give us a few years. Earl Campbell had about 5 good years. Some would say he's already declining... he's averaging almost a full ypc less than last year, and he had more 20+ yard runs last year and he wasn't a full time starter. That's part of the reason I wasn't in any hurry to see Priest go... LJ looked like something from another universe, but the more we beat on him he'll just be a really good running back.

History says next year he'll be an average RB that get's injured alot or has a major injury.....

tk13 12-29-2006 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
History says next year he'll be an average RB that get's injured alot or has a major injury.....

Well, not in every single case. Ricky Williams had a couple huge-carry years, the best was probably Eric Dickerson. One year after getting 390 carries he set the NFL rushing record. I'd agree he might be more likely to be injured maybe, but I don't think his actual production will drop off, yet.

Mecca 12-29-2006 08:48 PM

Quote:

Well, not in every single case. Ricky Williams had a couple huge-carry years, the best was probably Eric Dickerson. One year after getting 390 carries he set the NFL rushing record. I'd agree he might be more likely to be injured maybe, but I don't think his actual production will drop off, yet.

Didn't Eric Dickerson follow up his big carry year/years by having nagging leg problems for the rest of his career?

I'll just say this if he plays 16 games next year and doesn't decline I'll be really surprised and it would make him an exception not the rule....he may have 1 more year but after that all bets are off.

tk13 12-29-2006 08:55 PM

Eric Dickerson's first year he carried the ball 390 times, which at the time was the NFL record. The next year he ran for 2150 yards and averaged 5.6 ypc.

He's pretty much the exception to the rule. He has 4 of the top 17 carry totals in history... Ricky Williams has 2 seasons on that list, and everybody else just has one. He missed a couple games here and there but really made it about 7 or 8 years before wearing down. Then again, if we have another Eric Dickerson on our hands, we're pretty lucky.

Mecca 12-29-2006 08:57 PM

Of course the guys hitting Erick Dickerson weren't nearly as big and fast as the guys are today....

tk13 12-29-2006 08:59 PM

Yeah, I'd agree with that too... I think that's why guys like Jamal Anderson and T. Davis didn't make it as long, these guys are freaks of nature nowadays. On the other hand, LJ sat the bench for almost 3 years in college and in the pros too, so he doesn't have a ton of wear and tear.

BWillie 12-29-2006 09:03 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I'd agree with that too... I think that's why guys like Jamal Anderson and T. Davis didn't make it as long, these guys are freaks of nature nowadays. On the other hand, LJ sat the bench for almost 3 years in college and in the pros too, so he doesn't have a ton of wear and tear.

LJ asked for this. At the beginning of the year, he wanted more carries, and said he wanted 30 carries a game. I will say this about LJ, he has amazing durability. He doesn't look any different after he's taken 30 carries. The guy is a horse, but over time, it's going to be way to many carries.

The reason why LJ is getting so many carries is because Herm wants to make him happy. Everybody knows LJ doesn't really like Kansas City, and didn't get along with Dick. It would of been better on LJ for the Chiefs in the long term if we would of used Bennett ALOT more. Bennett is as great of a 2nd string running back as your going to get in the NFL.

Mecca 12-29-2006 09:05 PM

All I know is if he gets a huge contract after this type of carry season......it could turn out to look like the dumbest contract ever signed.

milkman 12-29-2006 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007
LJ asked for this. At the beginning of the year, he wanted more carries, and said he wanted 30 carries a game. I will say this about LJ, he has amazing durability. He doesn't look any different after he's taken 30 carries. The guy is a horse, but over time, it's going to be way to many carries.

The reason why LJ is getting so many carries is because Herm wants to make him happy. Everybody knows LJ doesn't really like Kansas City, and didn't get along with Dick. It would of been better on LJ for the Chiefs in the long term if we would of used Bennett ALOT more. Bennett is as great of a 2nd string running back as your going to get in the NFL.

Couldn't use Bennett more, what with that torn labia.

dtebbe 12-29-2006 10:02 PM

Jamal Anderson was done in by the shitty turf in the Georgia dome much more than the number of carries he had.

DT

dtebbe 12-29-2006 10:06 PM

Quote:

Some would say he's already declining... he's averaging almost a full ypc less than last year, and he had more 20+ yard runs last year...

I'm sorry, but Willie Roaf more than made up for those numbers. I haven't seen the left side once look this year like it did about every time they ran that way last year. Willie could pretty much take out 2 or 3 guys every time they ran to that side. And let's face it, Ronnie Cruz and Bigfoot Wilson still can't carry T-Rich's jock when it comes to lead blocking. I don't think LJ's abilities have declined a bit, the talent in front of him has.

DT

FringeNC 12-30-2006 01:56 PM

Herm just wants to win the TOP battle. That's more important than winning the game. Wait though, our TOP is way down from last year...Funny how that works.

the Talking Can 12-30-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
All I know is if he gets a huge contract after this type of carry season......it could turn out to look like the dumbest contract ever signed.

thankfully you aren't prone to hyperbole...