ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Anybody watching Okoye for Louisville tonight ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=155675)

Eric 01-02-2007 07:52 PM

Anybody watching Okoye for Louisville tonight ?

Future Chief. :hmmm:

Tribal Warfare 01-02-2007 07:54 PM

YEP!!!!!!!

Eric 01-02-2007 07:58 PM

keep us updated.

Switching channels alot-MU,duke,Oh.St.. I might miss a play.

Anyong Bluth 01-02-2007 08:07 PM

won't be there by the time we draft. Like him a lot, and he's already graduated at 19!!!

Tribal Warfare 01-02-2007 10:08 PM

He's lookin good thus far

Demonpenz 01-02-2007 10:17 PM

is he related to christain okoye?

Tribal Warfare 01-02-2007 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz
is he related to christain okoye?

I'm not sure their hasn't been an article , or news piece that would signal that they are related.

Anyong Bluth 01-02-2007 10:49 PM

watching him tonight, I want him as bad as I wanted DJ 2 years ago. Only way we're getting him is to trade up, doubt that happens- even though I'd much rather trade up to truly get a guy we really wanted at DT than stay pat. I think a DT of quality would be such a huge difference maker in this team's D taking it to the next level.

milkman 01-02-2007 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare
YEP!!!!!!!

You really think he'll fall to the #24 spot in the draft?

milkman 01-02-2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocina_Basement
watching him tonight, I want him as bad as I wanted DJ 2 years ago. Only way we're getting him is to trade up, doubt that happens- even though I'd much rather trade up to truly get a guy we really wanted at DT than stay pat. I think a DT of quality would be such a huge difference maker in this team's D taking it to the next level.

I'd love to have him too, but not at the expense of a 2nd pick.

This team needs to use the draft, and every pick it has, to improve the talent on the roster.

I'm thinking Justin Harrell out of Tenn has a chance of slipping into the second round because of the injury that ended his season in the second or third game.

cdcox 01-02-2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cocina_Basement
won't be there by the time we draft. Like him a lot, and he's already graduated at 19!!!

The thing is at 19 he still hasn't grown into his man body. He could easily add muscle mass for another 3 years.

Skip Towne 01-02-2007 11:01 PM

I watched parts of the game but Ii didn't hear his name called.

JBucc 01-02-2007 11:02 PM

So did he do anything?

Tribal Warfare 01-02-2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBucc
So did he do anything?

He made a shit load of disruptive plays in the offensive backfield. At times the kid looked like Warren Sapp in his prime

Coach 01-02-2007 11:25 PM

BTW, did anyone hear this exchange by the announcers?

Guy 1: "Blah blah blah stay up past 8:30 to have a good time on South Beach."

Guy 2: "Well, I have two Trojans up here in the booth with me. I can show them how to have a good time."

Think before you speak, man!

Chiefs Pantalones 01-02-2007 11:35 PM

He definitely won't be there when we draft at #32.

Tribal Warfare 01-02-2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach
BTW, did anyone hear this exchange by the announcers?

Guy 1: "Blah blah blah stay up past 8:30 to have a good time on South Beach."

Guy 2: "Well, I have two Trojans up here in the booth with me. I can show them how to have a good time."

Think before you speak, man!

Yeah, with the camera was on the beer in a local "establishment"

Eric 01-03-2007 12:57 AM

College game broadcasts suck compared to NFL.

They never focus on Dline or Oline. You don't get those great camera viewpoints like the NFL's.

Halfcan 01-03-2007 02:02 AM

ESPN says this guy is a project but could be good if he can control his weight.

PASS!!

Tribal Warfare 01-03-2007 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan
ESPN says this guy is a project but could be good if he can control his weight.

PASS!!

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/

check this out

Kerberos 01-03-2007 07:48 AM

If he is related to Christian Okoye it isn't listed in any of the profiles I googled.

Stewie 01-03-2007 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare

If Kiper's right we don't stand a chance in hell of drafting him.

Halfcan 01-03-2007 08:09 AM

Mel had Simms rated high too.

InChiefsHeaven 01-03-2007 08:17 AM

Well, they were talking about him in the 4th quarter I believe, they showed his profile. He's graduating at 19, was born in Nigeria. I'm guessing Okoye might be as common as Smith over there, but you would think that somebody would put it to rest one way or another. Not a whole lot of Okoye's in the states.

He looked pretty aggressive to me, but doesn't seem to be able to persue much outside the pocket...which is really not his job so that's no big deal.

htismaqe 01-03-2007 09:16 AM

http://www.nathanielturner.com/mythologyofigbonames.htm

It appears it's quite a common name...

Iowanian 01-03-2007 09:26 AM

I guess I must have been watching a different game, because he wasn't exactly standing out as something special to me last night.

kepp 01-03-2007 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
I guess I must have been watching a different game, because he wasn't exactly standing out as something special to me last night.

That's kind of what I was thinking. The other guys on the DL were making more plays than he was.

Mr. Laz 01-03-2007 11:06 AM

i saw him get triple teamed and still get a push

the center and both guards were on him.

Demonpenz 01-03-2007 11:23 AM

christian okoye and This guy have the same last name. Wouldn't It be ironic if they both played for the chiefs? I wonder if they are related?

Iowanian 01-03-2007 11:29 AM

I admit I was in a nyquil haze, when I watched.

I probably wasn't as coherant as I could have been, but if what Laz says is true and Okoye was getting double and triple teamed, and I have no reason to doubt it.....he was sure making Gray look good.

I'd love nothing more than a DT who could turn Hali or Allen loose like that.

Kerberos 01-03-2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

christian okoye and This guy have the same last name. Wouldn't It be ironic if they both played for the chiefs? I wonder if they are related?

From everything "I" read on him ... He is from Nigera and he does have the last name Okoye. I am guessing that is like trying to find a Yoder or Lapp in the middle of Omish country? But nothing was written that he was related to directly or indirectly to Christian Okoye!

htismaqe 01-03-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

ROFL

It's been mentioned several times in this thread...

Okoye = Smith

They're not related.

Demonpenz 01-03-2007 11:42 AM

Why should I change my name? He's the one who sucks!

Mr. Laz 01-03-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian
I admit I was in a nyquil haze, when I watched.

I probably wasn't as coherant as I could have been, but if what Laz says is true and Okoye was getting double and triple teamed, and I have no reason to doubt it.....he was sure making Gray look good.

I'd love nothing more than a DT who could turn Hali or Allen loose like that.

btw ... just thought i'd saythat it was the first time i'd ever seen him play.

i have no idea about how good he is .... just really caught my eye when i saw the entire interior of the line go after him on that play.

Pepper or Sims? :shrug:

Anyong Bluth 01-03-2007 11:53 AM

Yeah, I didn't watch the whole thing, but I did see him blow up a number of plays and there were 2 guys on him, not 1 just chipping him.

Mecca 01-03-2007 12:24 PM

We're at pick 24 now......with his age and the down DT year odds are he goes before our pick unless he totally blows his workout.

AustinChief 01-03-2007 12:26 PM

I would LOVE to get him for two simple reasons... he is SMART and he has a WORK ETHIC...

I would be perfectly happy seeing us trade up for him. I think the ONE glaring weakness for next year is DT.. the rest of the D is set for at least one more year.

Mecca 01-03-2007 12:28 PM

Better hope a ton of guys start declaring so he'll drop......when guys like Sam Baker decide they're not coming out that lessens our chance.

Chiefnj 01-03-2007 12:32 PM

It's funny how many different reactions there are to the same player in the same game.

I thought he had an excellent game. The announcers paid a lot of attention to him. He seemed to disrupt/be in the backfield at least once every 5 plays or so, which for a DT is very good. I saw him break up some reverses which showed good concentration and discipline.

I noticed at the end of the game he appeared to be a little out of steam on some plays. He's still a kid though. Lot's of room for improvement.

I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing to draft someone so young. On one hand his maturity is outstanding, on the other hand he isn't even legal to drink or go out with the other players yet.

StcChief 01-03-2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj
It's funny how many different reactions there are to the same player in the same game.

I thought he had an excellent game. The announcers paid a lot of attention to him. He seemed to disrupt/be in the backfield at least once every 5 plays or so, which for a DT is very good. I saw him break up some reverses which showed good concentration and discipline.

I noticed at the end of the game he appeared to be a little out of steam on some plays. He's still a kid though. Lot's of room for improvement.

I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing to draft someone so young. On one hand his maturity is outstanding, on the other hand he isn't even legal to drink or go out with the other players yet.

He looked good. Would be a nice addition. DT

Back to the work Ethic.... He doesn't need to worry about that.

htismaqe 01-03-2007 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj

Great post.

I thought he played very well, WF payed an awful lot of attention to him (I think Laz mentioned double teams).

I think he fits the Cover 2 very well, but like Mecca, I just don't see him being available. I can't imagine he'll have anything but stellar workouts...

shaneo69 01-03-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
Great post.

I thought he played very well, WF payed an awful lot of attention to him (I think Laz mentioned double teams).

I think he fits the Cover 2 very well, but like Mecca, I just don't see him being available. I can't imagine he'll have anything but stellar workouts...

I think it depends on his actual size. I don't care what the Louisville roster lists him at, if he ends up being 6'1, 290 at the Senior Bowl/combine, he won't go in the 1st round.

Mecca 01-03-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneo69
I think it depends on his actual size. I don't care what the Louisville roster lists him at, if he ends up being 6'1, 290 at the Senior Bowl/combine, he won't go in the 1st round.

Teams will feel he can add weight because of his age.....it's a very very bad DT year. He's going to be considered the 2nd best DT in this draft, also all those 3-4 teams will view him as an end for them so he's going to have alot of teams looking.

htismaqe 01-03-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
Teams will feel he can add weight because of his age.....it's a very very bad DT year. He's going to be considered the 2nd best DT in this draft, also all those 3-4 teams will view him as an end for them so he's going to have alot of teams looking.

Yep.