ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   LT a priority in the draft (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=158021)

tyton75 02-07-2007 01:08 PM

LT a priority in the draft

This just made me laugh

Chiefs | Left tackle a likely draft priority
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 07:53:12 -0800

Bob Gretz, of KCChiefs.com, reports the Kansas City Chiefs will likely target a left tackle early in the NFL Draft should they be unable to come to terms on a contract with free agent OT Jordan Black.

Unable to come to terms.. he should be paying US!!! good riddance

noa 02-07-2007 01:10 PM

The guy gave up the most sacks of any offensive lineman in the NFL. We did throw him into a difficult position and he's better suited as a guard, but I don't see him having much leverage in negotiations. I think we should keep him as a backup guard.

tyton75 02-07-2007 01:12 PM

I would tend to agree.. he would probably be a serviceable guard

but for Gretz to imply that we won't be looking for a LT if we should sign Black is horrific

HonestChieffan 02-07-2007 01:14 PM

Black was so much better by season end that sure a lot of folks will go after him. Chiefs will resign him, they have too much invested at this point

recxjake 02-07-2007 01:15 PM

I don't care if we sign him back or not, we need a LT

boogblaster 02-07-2007 02:31 PM

LT LT LT LT LT then DT DT DT DT DT after that who cares ...

MGRS13 02-07-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogblaster
LT LT LT LT LT then DT DT DT DT DT after that who cares ...

We have 10 picks in this years draft? I bet our second rounder is a bust. :)

FringeNC 02-07-2007 02:44 PM

Black is probably a mediocre guard and a servicable right tackle. A left-tackle he is not. I have a hard time seeing anyone giving Black LT money.

I'm surprised we're not hearing more about Svitek. I thought he was supposed to be the answer at LT.

FAX 02-07-2007 02:46 PM

I can't believe they're even considering starting Black at LT again.

FAX

go bo 02-07-2007 02:52 PM

it's all about the money...

dammit carl! :cuss:

MGRS13 02-07-2007 02:53 PM

If the chiefs start Black at LT next year there is NO reason to draft or get any free agents on the offensive side of the ball. I don't care if we got Calvin Johnson in the draft with Black at LT our "O" will still suck.

Eric 02-07-2007 11:28 PM

That is humerous.

We need 2 OTs and 2 Dts and a corner.

Extra Point 02-08-2007 08:17 AM

Drafting a LT in the first round will be expensive, and too huge a gamble. I'll bet a dozen donuts that we pick a CB in the first round.

tyton75 02-08-2007 08:20 AM

I think that probably the best value for talent at a position of need for us is probably a WR in the 1st

htismaqe 02-08-2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric
That is humerous.

We need 2 OTs and 2 Dts and a corner.

2 OT, 2 DT, CB, 2 WR, DE, OLB, MLB, and possibly a S.

Pushead2 02-08-2007 11:56 AM

I really hope we do address the Offensive Line in the draft unless there is a good WR , I hope the Chiefs have a much better plan then "the Pencil".

crazycoffey 02-08-2007 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe

I agree with this, but for priorities, we can't adress them all, I say OT and WR over Def. needs. Our D still has alot of work, but it was mostly respectable this year.

On the D young CB to take over PS and TL soon is high priority and of course strength at DT, I can live with bell and mitchell (if we restructure bell's contract)

Coogs 02-08-2007 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey
I agree with this, but for priorities, we can't adress them all, I say OT and WR over Def. needs. Our D still has alot of work, but it was mostly respectable this year.

On the D young CB to take over PS and TL soon is high priority and of course strength at DT, I can live with bell and mitchell (if we restructure bell's contract)

Last season, the Bears had a top 3 defense, and their offense plain sucked. And so what did they do in the draft? They went all defense. Even though we have needs on both sides, nothing will surprise me in this draft. And remember, we have already spent our 4th rounder on the offensive side.

htismaqe 02-08-2007 01:52 PM

With so many holes, targetting any one position is a mistake. Take the BPA, get a playmaker, and make the whole team better in the process.

Chiefnj 02-08-2007 02:01 PM

Quote:

What about a guard for Shields and Center if Weigman retires?

Brock 02-08-2007 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj

BPA, period.

htismaqe 02-08-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

I forgot them...definitely needs...

Pushead2 02-08-2007 03:34 PM

I agree with either re-do Bell's contract but I say cut him and give Fox a shot. Kawika is good tackler but thats about it..... just another product of Gunther's Dream Defense. I hope the Lions sign him honestly....

Brock 02-08-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2
Kawika is good tackler

I'm going to have to sort of uh disagree with you there.....

crazycoffey 02-08-2007 05:50 PM

he's not that bad of a tackler, I have seen others whiff, wesley last year? Tiki who?

I hear what you are saying, brock, he's not all that, but the question is do we address him or other weaknesses. say we can only upgrade four or five postions, on both sides of the ball, where do you want to do those upgrades. MLB probably won't be on that list.

BTW I agree with you on the BPA postion, scare you?

Pushead2 02-08-2007 10:10 PM

In terms of 104 and 105 tackles with last year and this year , he can tackle but then stats don't mean much and the fact he sucks as a true MLB is most likely why he gets so many tackles. But I think BPA is always the best option.

PHOG 02-09-2007 12:00 AM

BPA, with regards to future drafts.

ie: is next years draft heavy in DT's, OT's, CB's, WR's?

And what about 2 yrs from now, how does it pan out?

IMO, this team better be looking to the future, because the present doen't look too bright.

Maybe Edwards needs to hire more efficient scouts to help figure this out?

Long term planning, with a goal in sight. (Playoff Win?)(Superbowl?)

When the plan is formulated, stick with it and give it a chance. But no more 5 yrs going on 20 yrs plans. DAMN IT, CARL!! :banghead:

Just my .02 cents worth. Carry on. STFU

htismaqe 02-09-2007 06:56 AM

The key to playing MLB in this defense is PASS COVERAGE. Mitchell has good speed, but he's not quick enough to change direction in zone coverage. He's a "downhill" player.

As for him whiffing on tackles, it's a bogus argument. I saw far more opponent ballcarriers run away from a DERRICK JOHNSON arm tackle this past season than from Kawika Mitchell. Yet people here talk about DJ like he's the next Lawrence Taylor. Give it a rest.

Chiefnj 02-09-2007 08:37 AM

I just saw the salary cap figures for next year. I think safety is a dire need as well. Surtain will cost around 9.2 against the cap and Law 5 million against the cap next year. That's around 13% of the total cap in those two guys. If Surtain doesn't renegotiate, I wonder if he would be a cap casualty?

htismaqe 02-09-2007 08:41 AM

Quote:

I just saw the salary cap figures for next year. I think safety is a dire need as well. Surtain will cost around 9.2 against the cap and Law 5 million against the cap next year. That's around 13% of the total cap in those two guys. If Surtain doesn't renegotiate, I wonder if he would be a cap casualty?

Just a question, but what do Law and Surtain have to do with safety?

I think we need safety depth at least, I do think both Pollard and Page will be starters.

And in regards to Law and Surtain, I've said all along that we need a CB in this draft. It's a real need, just like DT and OT.

Chiefnj 02-09-2007 09:17 AM

Quote:

Just a question, but what do Law and Surtain have to do with safety?

Nothing at all, it was a typo. Not enough coffee.

I think we need safety depth at least, I do think both Pollard and Page will be starters.

And in regards to Law and Surtain, I've said all along that we need a CB in this draft. It's a real need, just like DT and OT.

CB is likely to be an area where KC can get good value in round 1.

htismaqe 02-09-2007 09:19 AM

CB and WR, to me, represent the two positions where we might be able to get a true impact player (as opposed to filling a hole with a merely adequate OT or DT) in the 1st round.

Tribal Warfare 02-09-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

CB and WR, to me, represent the two positions where we might be able to get a true impact player (as opposed to filling a hole with a merely adequate OT or DT) in the 1st round.

CB Darrelle Revis is another possibility

Extra Point 02-10-2007 03:34 PM

ESPN Radio interviewed Daymeion Hughes, who indicated that Kiper upgraded him to be picked by NE. KC has an earlier pick, and Hughes said he's talked with several teams, including the Chiefs. When asked if he'd like to play for NO, KC, and other teams, he said he talked to Gunther and really would like to play under him.

Tribal Warfare 02-10-2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Point
ESPN Radio interviewed Daymeion Hughes, who indicated that Kiper upgraded him to be picked by NE. KC has an earlier pick, and Hughes said he's talked with several teams, including the Chiefs. When asked if he'd like to play for NO, KC, and other teams, he said he talked to Gunther and really would like to play under him.

That's another possibility

Iowanian 02-13-2007 11:54 AM

I don't think the Chiefs will draft an OT high in this draft, unless Brown or Thomas Fall(won't happen).

A "Carl Peterson move" will be to make a run at an average FA LT like Mike Gandy.

DT, WR or LB will likely be the first day picks IMO.

Spicy McHaggis 02-13-2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

With so many holes, targetting any one position is a mistake. Take the BPA, get a playmaker, and make the whole team better in the process.

That's the great part about this team!!! We've got so many needs it'll be hard to **** it up!!!

On a serious note I agree with you. Draft the best available guy and chances are he'll be an upgrade over what we have, whether that's due to talent, age or both. Actually depending on who is there at our pick I wouldn't be averse to trading down either.