ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Miami reporter says we signed McIntosh (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159157)

BigRock 03-03-2007 02:22 PM

Miami reporter says we signed McIntosh

Quote:

Source: Chiefs sign former Dolphins LT McIntosh to six-year contract

By Alex Marvez
Sun -Sentinel
Posted March 3 2007, 2:51 PM EST

Kansas City signed former Dolphins left tackle Damion McIntosh today to a six-year contract, a source said. Financial terms weren't immediately available.

The Chiefs are hoping McIntosh help provides stability to an offensive line that struggled in 2006 following the preseason retirement of left tackle Willie Roaf.

The Dolphins allowed McIntosh to test the market after being unable to reach agreement with the Dolphins on a contract extension. It's uncertain who the Dolphins will now assign to play left tackle, as McIntosh had started 41 of the past 48 games at the position over the past three seasons.

McIntosh played collegiately at Kansas State after being recruited out of Hollywood McArthur High.

mikeyis4dcats. 03-03-2007 02:23 PM

EMAW!

Silock 03-03-2007 02:23 PM

Lame.

Mecca 03-03-2007 02:24 PM

I hope that's a joke.......a 6 year contract for another scrub....

mikeyis4dcats. 03-03-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca

if it means we're showing JB the door, so be it.

Halfcan 03-03-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

For once I agree with you. Carl needs to go. :shake:

Boltergeist 03-03-2007 02:27 PM

Good gawd. I'm not here to bash, but just seeing his name again makes me want to hurl. He was the uber turnstile when he was with us...and I don't think he got much better in Miami.

Boltergeist 03-03-2007 02:27 PM

Honestly, I would take Jordan Black any day of the week over McIntosh. He is absolutely horrible.

DaWolf 03-03-2007 02:28 PM

I'm guessing the deal didn't break any banks.

Who is better, him or Black? Cause I didn't see many alternatives out there...

Mecca 03-03-2007 02:29 PM

They both suck......we aren't a damn Bowl team, we should have probably just put a CHEAP scrub over there instead of an expensive scrub.

DaWolf 03-03-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltergeist
Honestly, I would take Jordan Black any day of the week over McIntosh. He is absolutely horrible.

Have you seen much of Black or is McIntosh THAT bad?

Rain Man 03-03-2007 02:30 PM

Whether he's better than Black or not, the bottom line is that he's a starter at left tackle for another team, and he'll come in and compete for the position, which is our worst need. I've got no problem with that.

This makes me think that we're drafting either a WR or a DT with our first pick, though.

Reaper16 03-03-2007 02:30 PM

6 fricken years?

Ultra Peanut 03-03-2007 02:31 PM

Don't the Dolphins have, y'know, the worst offensive line in any level of football except Pop Warner?

L.A. Chieffan 03-03-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
Whether he's better than Black or not, the bottom line is that he's a starter at left tackle for another team, and he'll come in and compete for the position, which is our worst need. I've got no problem with that.

This makes me think that we're drafting either a WR or a DT with our first pick, though.

I pretty much feel the same way. There's no doubt we need help on the line.
I don't really care too much about the contract length either as opposed to how much he got in signing bonuses.

OnTheWarpath15 03-03-2007 02:33 PM

Star reporting this as well.....

Damn.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/16828088.htm

Chiefs sign veteran offensive tackle
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs and free-agent offensive tackle Damion McIntosh agreed to terms today on a six-year contract, the players agent said.

McIntosh, who will turn 30 this month, is a seven-year NFL veteran and a six-year starter at left tackle with the Chargers and Dolphins. Chiefs coach Herm Edwards wasn't available to discuss plans for McIntosh, but he presumably will become Kansas City's starting left tackle.

He would replace Jordan Black, who is an unrestricted free agent and can sign with another team.

Linebacker Napoleon Harris was scheduled to arrive in Kansas City today for a visit with the Chiefs.

mikeyis4dcats. 03-03-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

yeah, I mean, he started 41 of 48 games. If he was that inadequate, he wouldn't have lasted.

L.A. Chieffan 03-03-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut
Don't the Dolphins have, y'know, the worst offensive line in any level of football except Pop Warner?

They looked pretty good against us last year.
But then again that's not very hard.

banyon 03-03-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut

That's what I thought. Didn't this guy contribute to the poor pass protection last year? What were his sacks allowed?

Mecca 03-03-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf
Have you seen much of Black or is McIntosh THAT bad?

AJ Smith cut him when they were 2-14.......they replaced him with Roman Oben......this should tell you how bad this guy is.

JBucc 03-03-2007 02:35 PM

He's Jamaican, so um, that's cool.

Halfcan 03-03-2007 02:36 PM

Looks like Carl is gunning for a 2-14 season himself. Nap Harris-you have to be kidding me??

Ultra Peanut 03-03-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBucc
He's Jamaican, so um, that's cool.

He can hang out with Oma-- :sulk:

milkman 03-03-2007 02:36 PM

I wonder how many QBs are going to be on the roster?

Looks like we may need a few more.

Mecca 03-03-2007 02:36 PM

The Chiefs are morons there's no nice way to put this, this guy is ****in awful. You could get an undrafted FA that makes no money to do the same job.

Now we get to pay money for the crappy performance. The Chiefs the masters of paying money to just fill a position of need even if the guy sucks.

DaWolf 03-03-2007 02:38 PM

Assets
Great strength and leverage. A solid run blocker. Moves and adjusts well and doesn't beat himself.

Flaws
Needs protection against better pass rushers. Technique is average. Can be slow-footed. Gets hurt a lot.

Career potential
Adequate starter.

Reading this scouting report, makes me think that we signed him as probably a short term stopgap who can runblock because that's going to be our main focus offensively. We better have someone behind him if he gets injured so much...

Sully 03-03-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

The Chiefs are morons there's no nice way to put this, this guy is ****in awful. You could get an undrafted FA that makes no money to do the same job.

The way some artists deal in oils or watercolors could NEVER equal your skill with hyperbole.

BigRock 03-03-2007 02:40 PM

According to a Dolphins board, McIntosh gave up 5.5 sacks last year.

According to this board a while back, Jordan Black gave up 13.

DaWolf 03-03-2007 02:40 PM

Quote:

Now we get to pay money for the crappy performance. The Chiefs the masters of paying money to just fill a position of need even if the guy sucks.

Carl always seems to pull a Carlton Gray out of his hat every so often...

L.A. Chieffan 03-03-2007 02:40 PM

Maybe he's not getting that much, they haven't said.

Mecca 03-03-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Assets
Great strength and leverage. A solid run blocker. Moves and adjusts well and doesn't beat himself.

Flaws
Needs protection against better pass rushers. Technique is average. Can be slow-footed. Gets hurt a lot.

Career potential
Adequate starter.

Reading this scouting report, makes me think that we signed him as probably a short term stopgap who can runblock because that's going to be our main focus offensively. We better have someone behind him if he gets injured so much...

He's a guard trying to play tackle.....slow footed.....where have we seen this before....

L.A. Chieffan 03-03-2007 02:42 PM

So we can put him back a guard when Shields retires.

Warrior5 03-03-2007 02:43 PM

Quote:

It'll be a DT that can start next season.

Basileus777 03-03-2007 02:45 PM

McIntosh is not nearly as bad as Mecca is making him out to be. He isn't great, but he was solid for Miami, especially during Saban's first year. I don't doubt that he is an improvement over Black.

DaWolf 03-03-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

He's a guard trying to play tackle.....slow footed.....where have we seen this before....

I was about to post this: he has been moved around to guard and both tackle positions. We sure we're bringing him in to start at LT? He might just be backup depth, a la the Bober signing...

Mecca 03-03-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior5

Yea reach on a DT! seeing as the only 2 first round ones are going way before our pick.

milkman 03-03-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior5

Yeah, let's just reach for a second round talent at DT with our first round pick.

We're smart like that.

Mecca 03-03-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777
McIntosh is not nearly as bad as Mecca is making him out to be. He isn't great, but he was solid for Miami, especially during Saban's first year. I don't doubt that he is an improvement over Black.

It's a bad signing.....if it said 1-2 years hey fine. But it says 6.....he's been let go from 2 teams that had bad offensive lines at the time of not being brought back. He wasn't brought back not because of money but because frankly those teams thought he sucked...

He's an old black version of Jordan Black......

Brock 03-03-2007 02:48 PM

He's probably better than Black, most sites have him listed as the #2 free agent tackle. But I see the chiefsplanet verdict is already in on a guy that nobody has seen play.

ChiefsCountry 03-03-2007 02:49 PM

6 year deal worries me but I say its a backloaded contract.

Smed1065 03-03-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banyon
That's what I thought. Didn't this guy contribute to the poor pass protection last year? What were his sacks allowed?

Less than the league leader!

L.A. Chieffan 03-03-2007 02:49 PM

I say give him a shot. 5.5 sacks last year ain't bad.

JBucc 03-03-2007 02:49 PM

Let's try this agian...

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...g?t=1172954959

Mecca 03-03-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock
He's probably better than Black, most sites have him listed as the #2 free agent tackle. But I see the chiefsplanet verdict is already in on a guy that nobody has seen play.

Considering there was no tackles.........being #2 means alot.

Remember playing SD a few years ago when they were awful....he was a starter on that team.

CupidStunt 03-03-2007 02:50 PM

You guys are fucking morons, especially Mecca.

Dude allowed 5.5 sacks, had 3 false starts and just ONE holding penalty.

Compare that to Black (13 sacks, 3 holds) or even an elite tackle like Walter Jones (10.5 sacks, 2 holds).

I'm 100% sure that some of you idiots -- and you know who you are -- don't even watch football.

DaWolf 03-03-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

It's a bad signing.....if it said 1-2 years hey fine. But it says 6.....he's been let go from 2 teams that had bad offensive lines at the time of not being brought back. He wasn't brought back not because of money but because frankly those teams thought he sucked...

He's an old black version of Jordan Black......

6 is just for bookkeeping purposes. In essence it is probably a 2 year deal. The key is how much guaranteed money he got...

Mecca 03-03-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan
I say give him a shot. 5.5 sacks last year ain't bad.

13 games........he always misses games also...hell we should have signed Luke Petitgout or John Stinchcomb if they were gonna do this.

Brock 03-03-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

Remember playing SD a few years ago when they were awful....he was a starter on that team.

Yeah, that's really meaningful information.

BigRock 03-03-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

That's not true. The Dolphins wanted to re-sign him.

CupidStunt 03-03-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

Yep. And they're mostly idiots.

And again, 6 years most likely = 3 years.

Just like Clements' 8 year/$80 million deal is actually more like 6 year/$45 million.

Since when has the NFL guaranteed contracts for its players? Oh yeah, that's right -- they haven't.

Basileus777 03-03-2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

It's a bad signing.....if it said 1-2 years hey fine. But it says 6.....

The length of the contract is not nearly as meaningful as you make it out to be. We don't know the terms of the contract and how backloaded it is. For all we know this is nothing more than a 1 year contract made to look better for the agent.

Mecca 03-03-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777
The length of the contract is not nearly as meaningful as you make it out to be. We don't know the terms of the contract and how backloaded it is. For all we know this is nothing more than a 1 year contract made to look better for the agent.

You know......I'm not going to say anything about this anymore. If you want to be positive about the bad signing go ahead be my guest, it's all we have.

The Chiefs are never going to do things the right way, they are satisfied winning their 7-10 games every year.

Hootie 03-03-2007 02:54 PM

can't hurt

DaWolf 03-03-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj4mvp
You guys are fucking morons, especially Mecca.

Dude allowed 5.5 sacks, had 3 false starts and just ONE holding penalty.

Compare that to Black (13 sacks, 3 holds) or even an elite tackle like Walter Jones (10.5 sacks, 2 holds).

I'm 100% sure that some of you idiots -- and you know who you are -- don't even watch football.

The key here is A) What role he was brought in to play, and B) Do his skills match up with the offensive system and blocking schemes we are going to employ?

He could very well be a bad signing, or work out well for what we want to do...

BigRock 03-03-2007 02:54 PM

A Dolphin writer's take on McIntosh, written a few days ago:

Quote:

FINS WANT MCINTOSH BACK; FEELING ISN'T MUTUAL

It was reported that left tackle Damion McIntosh will not re-sign with the Dolphins prior to the start of free agency, despite the fact that the Dolphins have said they want him back. I can't really say I blame him much. He was very much underappreciated last season, as he actually did a good job at LT when LJ Shelton was moved to guard. He will also garner a lot of attention from teams that are looking for a tackle, seeing as how the tackle market is fairly weak this year. Losing McIntosh would be a fairly significant blow to the Dolphins for two reasons. First, like I said, he actually played pretty well last year and would be a much better option for the Dolphins at LT than LJ Shelton is, the only Dolphins on the current roster will LT experience. Second, this now leaves another void that will need to be filled either via free agency or the draft. With not much money to spend this offseason, the loss of McIntosh hurts even more.

CupidStunt 03-03-2007 02:55 PM

Sounds about right.

Smed1065 03-03-2007 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan
Looks like Carl is gunning for a 2-14 season himself. Nap Harris-you have to be kidding me??

Who would you sign this year to make us a contender?

Save the money for when we need it in 2009. I hope all the teams spend all their money for the next three years, you can not build a team thru FA, maybe add one position or two to succeed.

I imagine you spent your wad before (in) hand as well?

People complain when we sign FA players and bitch when we do not.

I hope we sign no more FA and take our lumps this year. I have stared to look to 2008 for a change of pace after 10 years of "next" year.

Hootie 03-03-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock
A Dolphin writer's take on McIntosh, written a few days ago:

Wow, that's awesome.

So far, A for Carl!

tk13 03-03-2007 02:58 PM

We once signed Kendrell Bell to a 7 year deal. And he's not going to be here next year... I wouldn't freak out over the 6-year contract.

Brock 03-03-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

You know......I'm not going to say anything about this anymore. If you want to be positive about the bad signing go ahead be my guest, it's all we have.

The Chiefs are never going to do things the right way, they are satisfied winning their 7-10 games every year.

You know....you don't know what the money is or how it's structured or even what kind of player this guy is. But you're still going to run your mouth about how dumb of a deal it is, even though the Chiefs have nobody but a proven stiff to turn to at LT.

Mecca 03-03-2007 02:58 PM

According to football outsiders Miami was 25th in the league running left end 10th running left tackle......that's not exactly good...

Also for the other comment I would have signed no one this year that wasn't cheap. The Chiefs are in a get younger dump older players time. They need to be releasing the Knights, Sims, Wesleys, Hicks and so forth not signing more old guys to go with them.....we need to be playing to have alot of cap room next year and the year after not spending it now when we need to be gutting this team.

mikeyis4dcats. 03-03-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

6 is just for bookkeeping purposes. In essence it is probably a 2 year deal. The key is how much guaranteed money he got...

exactly. I'm sure no one expects him to be here 6 years. It's all about spreading the dollars.

Brock 03-03-2007 03:00 PM

so tell us all Mecca, just how much did the Chiefs overspend for McIntosh? Enlighten us, please. Be sure and tell us all how much better the team would be if they just stuck with Jordan Black.

Mecca 03-03-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

You know....you don't know what the money is or how it's structured or even what kind of player this guy is. But you're still going to run your mouth about how dumb of a deal it is, even though the Chiefs have nobody but a proven stiff to turn to at LT.

I enjoy this take why don't you just say....

"we signed him he must be good if you dont like him you suck"

Seeing as that is basically your arguement. Acting like I've never seen him play is laughable he was in our division for several years.

'My god you disagree with me you don't know football!"

Mecca 03-03-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

so tell us all Mecca, just how much did the Chiefs overspend for McIntosh? Enlighten us, please. Be sure and tell us all how much better the team would be if they just stuck with Jordan Black.

We'll see when the contract comes out.....if it's anything over 20 mill and the bonus is very high it's going to be laughable.

Sully 03-03-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

You know......I'm not going to say anything about this anymore.

That didn't last long...

Quote:

According to football outsiders Miami was 25th in the league running left end 10th running left tackle......that's not exactly good...

Smed1065 03-03-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

I agree but who should we sign in FA to make a run?

Nobody for two years IMO. Saved the cash for when and if we need it. Lets the money fall this year for FA's.

FA is for teams that are close and we are rebuilding even if CP does not want to say that because of season tickets.

Everybody has to rebuild sooner or later and the success is from teams that know this, unlike the Chiefs.

DaWolf 03-03-2007 03:02 PM

You gotta try REALLY hard to be as bad as Black was last year. Worst tackle I've seen in our uniform over an extended period since Criswell:

Quote:

Chiefs left tackle Jordan Black led the league in sacks allowed with 13, according to Stats, LLC.

Brock 03-03-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Seeing as that is basically your arguement. Acting like I've never seen him play is laughable he was in our division for several years.

Uh, no, dumbshit. Since I don't know HOW MUCH MONEY WAS SPENT, I can't say whether it was a good deal or not. See, I tend to wait to get some information before I spout off, unlike you, the consummate armchair GM. Frankly, I wouldn't trust you to manage a hotdog stand.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-03-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Also for the other comment I would have signed no one this year that wasn't cheap. The Chiefs are in a get younger dump older players time. They need to be releasing the Knights, Sims, Wesleys, Hicks and so forth not signing more old guys to go with them.....we need to be playing to have alot of cap room next year and the year after not spending it now when we need to be gutting this team.

The reason we aren't totally committing to getting that much younger is Carl is afraid he'll lose season ticket holders with 5 to 6 win seasons. The key is to stay competitive just enough, according to Carl and the late Lamar.

Brock 03-03-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

We'll see when the contract comes out.....if it's anything over 20 mill and the bonus is very high it's going to be laughable.

You're making it sound as if it's laughable NOW. What's really laughable is you thinking that you know much at all about football or the business of football.

Basileus777 03-03-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Talk about a strawman....

Mecca 03-03-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder
The reason we aren't totally committing to getting that much younger is Carl is afraid he'll lose season ticket holders with 5 to 6 win seasons. The key is to stay competitive just enough, according to Carl and the late Lamar.

And that is why we don't win Superbowls.......the fear that making the right moves will result in a bad year. So we maintain the status quo.

Mecca 03-03-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smed1065
I agree but who should we sign in FA to make a run?

Nobody for two years IMO. Saved the cash for when and if we need it. Lets the money fall this year for FA's.

FA is for teams that are close and we are rebuilding even if CP does not want to say that because of season tickets.

Everybody has to rebuild sooner or later and the success is from teams that know this, unlike the Chiefs.

We aren't in any position to "make a run" there are atleast 5-7 teams in the AFC signicifantly better than we. We are an old declining team we need to revamp and rebuild not try to make "one last run with the old timers"

mikeyis4dcats. 03-03-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

And that is why we don't win Superbowls.......the fear that making the right moves will result in a bad year. So we maintain the status quo.

for us, football is a game. for the owners and league, it's a BUSINESS.

milkman 03-03-2007 03:06 PM

Damion McIntosh did have a solid season last year.
His best season, to be sure.

However, his numbers were helped to a large degree by the fact that Joey Harrington did what the Dolphins asked him to do, in that he got the ball out quickly.

Three step drop, make a decision and get rid of the ball.

If the Chiefs continue to play offense the way they did last season, putting themselves in obvious 3rd down passing situations, then McIntosh will struggle.

He is better than Black, I'll grant.

I just hope we didn't spend big money to sign him.

tk13 03-03-2007 03:07 PM

I'm personally not blown away by this signing, but if there's one area we're going to dump money into it should be the lines. They need improvement. And this whole "rebuilding" idea is garbage if you have Jordan Black at LT. Croyle or any other QB will never, ever develop if you put him behind a line that gets him killed... he'll just be another David Carr. You cannot "get by" and skimp when it comes to the offensive line. You gotta think 4th dimensionally, Marty. Not protecting your QB and RB now is going to wear them down for the time when "the future" is here.

OnTheWarpath15 03-03-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13
I'm personally not blown away by this signing, but if there's one area we're going to dump money into it should be the lines. They need improvement. And this whole "rebuilding" idea is garbage if you have Jordan Black at LT. Croyle or any other QB will never, ever develop if you put him behind a line that gets him killed... he'll just be another David Carr. You cannot "get by" and skimp when it comes to the offensive line. You gotta think 4th dimensionally, Marty. Not protecting your QB and RB now is going to wear them down for the time when "the future" is here.

The RB is already worn down....

Didn't you get the memo?

:rolleyes:

Mecca 03-03-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13

The playcalling is enough to wear Larry Johnson down to the point that he isn't a part of the future.........

MGRS13 03-03-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

I agree with you, but Carl won't do that he's only got three years left according to himself he signed his last contract. No way he guts this team and builds a young team for someone else to come in and win with. Like it or not the next few years are Carls swan song, he's gonna keep pushing it.