ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Gonzo's comment on Bowe. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164359)

Coogs 06-11-2007 12:11 PM

Gonzo's comment on Bowe.

Saw this last night on NBC 41 (not Jack Harry either). Have not seen it posted, so sorry if this is a repost.

Anyway, when asked about Bowe, Gonzo seemed very excited as to what he could bring to the team. Said Bowe is the best draft pick he has seen come to Kansas City since he has been here. Thinks he has a great chance to make a big impact his first year here because he has great ability, is smart, and studies hard. Has the ability to catch the ball away from his body. Running Hall's routes for right now.

Not word for word, but best I could do on short time with my so-so memory. If someone wants to see if 41 has a link to the intrview, be my guest.

StcChief 06-11-2007 12:14 PM

Good compliment....Gonzo. hope the impact is there.

a #1 from a school like LSU should say alot.

FAX 06-11-2007 12:15 PM

Hmmmm. High praise coming from the man who redefined the position of tight end in the NFL.

Maybe things are looking up after all.

FAX

OnTheWarpath15 06-11-2007 12:17 PM

Best draft pick since he's been here?

Granted, out drafts haven't been great until recently, but:

LJ

DJ

Allen

Tamba

Tait

Colquitt

I hope Gonzo's right.

The Franchise 06-11-2007 12:17 PM

Better than LJ? Damn...hopefully Gonzo speaks the truth.

Easy 6 06-11-2007 12:17 PM

To get him started, i definitely think its a great idea to run a lot of those Dante-like quick screen & hitches to him, nothing too complicated...just turn around, catch the ball & RUN, son.

CupidStunt 06-11-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pestilenceaf23

As a DRAFT pick, it's not at all far-fetched. We all view LJ as the product he is now; not what we, and probably his teammates, saw at the time.

I'd say DJ was a better prospect coming into our training camp, but Bowe's up there... and Gonzo's biased towards his skill position buddies on offense.

FAX 06-11-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

I'm speculating that, perhaps, he meant on the offensive side of the ball, Mr. pestilenceaf23. But, in that case, you're right about LJ. It's a slap in the face of a young black man. Somebody needs to get in touch with Al Sharpton on this matter.

FAX

JimNasium 06-11-2007 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj4mvp
As a DRAFT pick, it's not at all far-fetched. We all view LJ as the product he is now; not what we, and probably his teammates, saw at the time.

I'd say DJ was a better prospect coming into our training camp, but Bowe's up there... and Gonzo's biased towards his skill position buddies on offense.

Add to this the fact that he has a lot more face time during practice with him and the fact that Bowe will likely take some defensive attention away from Tony.

The Franchise 06-11-2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX
I'm speculating that, perhaps, he meant on the offensive side of the ball, Mr. pestilenceaf23. But, in that case, you're right about LJ. It's a slap in the face of a young black man. Somebody needs to get in touch with Al Sharpton on this matter.

FAX

Wait...is it still a slap in the face since Bowe is black?

Splat420 06-11-2007 12:30 PM

With the kinda of WR's Gonzo has played with it doesn't take much to stand out.

FAX 06-11-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Wait...is it still a slap in the face since Bowe is black?

Excellent point, Mr. pestilenceaf23. This is, in fact, a slap in the face of a young, black, running back man. Somebody needs to get in touch with Jim Brown on this matter.

FAX

TRR 06-11-2007 12:36 PM

My only problem is that it seems like Bowe is getting a lot of reps as the slot guy, or the backup to Kennison's WR position. Why would Bowe not start opposite Kennison?

Splat420 06-11-2007 12:37 PM

They are just bringing him a long slow IMO no way he doesn't beat out Sammie "One Catch A Game" Parker.

FAX 06-11-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR
My only problem is that it seems like Bowe is getting a lot of reps as the slot guy, or the backup to Kennison's WR position. Why would Bowe not start opposite Kennison?

Based on what little I know about the guy, I like the idea of him playing out of the slot, Mr. TRR. That is, if it's true he doesn't mind working over the middle and taking on linebackers.

FAX

Buehler445 06-11-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR

I was thinking the same thing. Did we even use very many formations with a slot receiver? Perhaps Webb or Hannon are in the #2 spot. Hopefully. If Parker is there, I will cry....again.

Wile_E_Coyote 06-11-2007 12:42 PM

Bowe knows, how to butter the bread

el borracho 06-11-2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR

Because we need Parker's speed to run the corner out of the play while Bowe blocks the linebackers for LJ every play. Duh.

Micjones 06-11-2007 12:43 PM

That was quite compliment.
Let's hope he's right about DB.

bringbackmarty 06-11-2007 12:52 PM

With bowe in the slot, he will be able to block for lj more effectively. Thereby extending huard's career by at least two games.

TRR 06-11-2007 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX
Based on what little I know about the guy, I like the idea of him playing out of the slot, Mr. TRR. That is, if it's true he doesn't mind working over the middle and taking on linebackers.

FAX

I hate the idea. You want a smaller, faster player to play in the slot so he can go in motion, and get off jams easier. Bowe is a strong, physical WR that won't have problems getting off jams, etc. Also, KC's offense doesn't use a slot WR enough to warrant putting your 1st round pick there.

Also, Bowe in the slot means another year of Parker on the outside.

Pushead2 06-11-2007 01:12 PM

I really wish the Chiefs would just cut Parker

noa 06-11-2007 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR

Say no more.

Buehler445 06-11-2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR
I hate the idea. You want a smaller, faster player to play in the slot so he can go in motion, and get off jams easier. Bowe is a strong, physical WR that won't have problems getting off jams, etc. Also, KC's offense doesn't use a slot WR enough to warrant putting your 1st round pick there.

Bowe in the slot means another year of Parker on the outside.

Hannon or Webb could be holding down the spot. Remember how googly Herm was over those 2 guys? Its a reach but I can hope...

I agree that you need a small guy in the slot and we dont ever use it (see Dante).

TRR 06-11-2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445
Hannon or Webb could be holding down the spot. Remember how googly Herm was over those 2 guys? Its a reach but I can hope...

I agree that you need a small guy in the slot and we dont ever use it (see Dante).

I think that is a lot of wishful thinking. I think Webb has got a shot to contribute, but not as a full time starter on the outside.

Fire Me Boy! 06-11-2007 01:23 PM

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/mediace...&navCatId=3926

FAX 06-11-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR

Well, I find this very unfortunate but I guess we have to disagree, Mr. TRR. My thinking is that, out of the slot, Bowe can take on LB's and safeties playing up in support of the running game plus he and TG can work the middle for both the short and intermediate, short drop pass from a panic stricken young quarterback. If it works, that would put a lot of pressure on enemy linebacker corps. My understanding is that Bowe is one of those players who doesn't mind working the middle of the field and taking contact. And, I've heard he's big enough to out-muscle a LB for the ball. Assuming all that is correct, the slot is a pretty good position out of which he can work.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Samie the Shamie. I'm wondering if he's going to actually get the start in our brand new, fabulous, simplified offense, though.

FAX

Pushead2 06-11-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX

I don't disagree with your assessment of Samie the Shamie. I'm wondering if he's going to actually get the start in our brand new, fabulous, simplified offense, though.

FAX

There's a great position for him at WR........just not in KC

TRR 06-11-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX
Well, I find this very unfortunate but I guess we have to disagree, Mr. TRR. My thinking is that, out of the slot, Bowe can take on LB's and safeties playing up in support of the running game plus he and TG can work the middle for both the short and intermediate, short drop pass from a panic stricken young quarterback. If it works, that would put a lot of pressure on enemy linebacker corps. My understanding is that Bowe is one of those players who doesn't mind working the middle of the field and taking contact. And, I've heard he's big enough to out-muscle a LB for the ball. Assuming all that is correct, the slot is a pretty good position out of which he can work.

FAX

Bowe would be a good fit anywhere. However, KC doesn't utilize the slot receiver position. The only time they do is when there was a gimmick play call on for Dante Hall. If you look around the league, almost all of the slot WR's are small and quick. You want to get a mismatch at the slot position...i.e a fast guy on a LB, or safety, etc. Not a slower guy that a LB or SS can run with. And the slot WR doesn't have to worry about getting jammed up because he is usually in motion.

It makes zero sense to match a WR like Bowe up against a LB or safety where they can stay with him, and outmuscle him. You use a smaller guy as the slot WR (Parker) to stretch the defense.

bdeg 06-11-2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR
Bowe would be a good fit anywhere. However, KC doesn't utilize the slot receiver position. The only time they do is when there was a gimmick play call on for Dante Hall. If you look around the league, almost all of the slot WR's are small and quick. You want to get a mismatch at the slot position...i.e a fast guy on a LB, or safety, etc. Not a slower guy that a LB or SS can run with. And the slot WR doesn't have to worry about getting jammed up because he is usually in motion.

It makes zero sense to match a WR like Bowe up against a LB or safety where they can stay with him, and outmuscle him. You use a smaller guy as the slot WR (Parker) to stretch the defense.

I know what you're saying and you have a point, but Bowe did run a 4.40...

htismaqe 06-11-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX
My thinking is that, out of the slot, Bowe can take on LB's and safeties playing up in support of the running game plus he and TG can work the middle for both the short and intermediate, short drop pass from a panic stricken young quarterback.

Brodie Croyle doesn't get panic stricken. :D

unlurking 06-11-2007 01:39 PM

Everyone here is saying we don't use the slot receiver, while it is true we didn't, I think we will see a much different offense this year than we are used to. I'm betting we'll see a lot more play-action this year as well, which we did not use much.

Buehler445 06-11-2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR
I think that is a lot of wishful thinking. I think Webb has got a shot to contribute, but not as a full time starter on the outside.

I told you I was reaching. :) I just really don't want Parker on the outside.

Iowanian 06-11-2007 01:40 PM

Bowe SHOULD take some of the pressure off of Gonzalez and open up some lanes for him. He doesn't have to put up Chad Johnson numbers to do that either.

Parker should probably become the slot this year.

Adept Havelock 06-11-2007 01:44 PM

Hmmm....I do hope Tony G is right.

Coogs 06-11-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX
I'm speculating that, perhaps, he meant on the offensive side of the ball

Nope!

Kylo Ren 06-11-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs
..........Running Hall's routes for right now........

Hall's routes? Hall was the 3rd for 4th WR. Shouldn't he be running Parker's routes? He should be a starter, not a 3rd or 4th option, right? I had high hopes for Parker. But, I don't want him to be any higher than the 4th or 5th WR option. I wouldn't mind if they traded or cut him.

Iowanian 06-11-2007 01:46 PM

I think its more telling which routes he's running at the end of August-early September than early June.

TRR 06-11-2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeg
I know what you're saying and you have a point, but Bowe did run a 4.40...

Bowe does have good speed. I agree with you. But he isn't a track guy like Samie Parker. A 4.4 is almost the norm nowdays for a WR in the NFL.

The Franchise 06-11-2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

I told you I was reaching. :) I just really don't want Parker on the Chiefs.

FYP

bdeg 06-11-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR
Bowe does have good speed. I agree with you. But he isn't a track guy like Samie Parker. A 4.4 is almost the norm nowdays for a WR in the NFL.

I would say mid 4.4's I'd agree, but he ran a flat 4.40 which is pretty impressive.

FAX 06-11-2007 01:56 PM

Quick question for the well informed. Aren't we seeing a trend in the NFL toward playing TEs out of the slot position more frequently?

Or, have I finally slipped out of neuron gear entirely?

FAX

Buehler445 06-11-2007 02:03 PM

Quote:

FYP

Please excuse my n00bness. What does FYP mean?

go bo 06-11-2007 02:08 PM

then bowe must be at least "normal...

and if he can run over would be tacklers in the open field like larry does, he will make all the skill positions better...

but i still say herm drafted this guy because he is another offensive lineman (with good speed) to block for larry...

and he can catch the ball and run with it too (which is just gravy for herm)...

i'm so high (not that kind of high) on bowe that i am seriously thinking of changing my user name to go bowe...

i'm probably gonna wait and see how he does in tc and preseason games, but i'm pretty sure he will be starting somewhere in our new, crappy offensive scheme...

go bo 06-11-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

Please excuse my n00bness. What does FYP mean?

fixed your post...

used when editing a quote to make it funnier, or for other nefarious reasons...

Buehler445 06-11-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go bo
fixed your post...

used when editing a quote to make it funnier, or for other nefarious reasons...

I see, that makes sense now. Thanks.