ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Alright, let's do this... where did the Chiefs look good? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=169664)

Direckshun 09-09-2007 06:52 PM

Alright, let's do this... where did the Chiefs look good?

It wasn't all pain.

Well, it was almost entirely pain.

But it wasn't all pain. There were very limited bright spots, so let's take a thread and man up, and try to enumerate the few positive things that occurred in this game, big and small.

Here are some that I've got:
  • Michael Bennett once again looked really good today. Not only was he agile and fast, but he was impressively powerful as well -- he freakin' plowed a DB in the second half. If MB can stay healthy, LJ's carries will drop almost a century mark this year.
  • LJ had about half a workload today, and his numbers looked pretty good. Doesn't look like he's lost much of a step.
  • Jason Dunn's still got a season in him, at LEAST. Some of the blocks he threw today show he hasn't slowed down much at all.
  • Samie Parker and Bowe performed far above expectations. Parker's showing that he may, JUST MAY be a viable #2. If Bowe takes it from him, however, he's earned the right to remain a #3.
  • I hate the very concept of "left tackle by committee," which seems to be what we did today, but I'll be damned if Svitek and McIntosh didn't do a good job today. That performance dropped dramatically until we got behind, but there you go.
  • Eddie Drummond's returning wasn't good, but he might just be a valuable special teams player on the other side of the ball. He had a fantastic coverage tackle early in the game.
  • Excepting the 77 yard bomb to Andre Johnson (who just happens to be a top 5 WR in the NFL), Page & Pollard looked very good today. Both look good in run support, Page read Schaub like a vet, and Pollard saved a touchdown with a very athletic deflection.
  • DJ continues to excel in coverage. He's elite at that particular ability by my estimation.
  • Alphonso Boone. WHO IS THIS MAN!? The guy played like a man possessed today. Two sacks, a monstrous tackle behind the line of scrimmage. He was a great acquisition this offseason and he's going to be a great influence on the youngsters.
  • Darche doesn't seem to have any problems whatsoever with his snaps that I've noticed. It's up to Medlock now to get a checkup from the neck up.

the Talking Can 09-09-2007 06:53 PM

coming out of the tunnel

ChiTown 09-09-2007 06:54 PM

ROFL

TN_Chief 09-09-2007 06:54 PM

Getting off the bus at the stadium?

runnercyclist 09-09-2007 06:54 PM

That is a glass half full. Good on you.

TN_Chief 09-09-2007 06:54 PM

Attacking the buffet table at the hotel this morning?

ChiefsCountry 09-09-2007 06:55 PM

Darche had one bad snap early in the game, Colquitt saved him.

Direckshun 09-09-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can
coming out of the tunnel

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN_Chief
Getting off the bus at the stadium?

Are you guys incapable or just unwilling to find the few bright spots on the field this afternoon?

KurtCobain 09-09-2007 06:59 PM

Chiefs still rock.

KC2004 09-09-2007 07:00 PM

Question? How many times is Benny Sapp gonna step in front of Drummond and return the ball this year?

WilliamTheIrish 09-09-2007 07:02 PM

Introductions were first rate. Our guys looked like football players.

Direckshun 09-09-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC2004
Question? How many times is Benny Sapp gonna step in front of Drummond and return the ball this year?

Wrong thread, bud.

Mr. Laz 09-09-2007 07:04 PM

Good

punting was good
kick coverages were good
defense was decent
run game was decent

Bad

kicking game sucked
passing game sucked
coaching pretty much sucked

Hammock Parties 09-09-2007 07:04 PM

I thought Derrick Johnson had an excellent game. He's going to be good this year.

Direckshun 09-09-2007 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish
Introductions were first rate. Our guys looked like football players.

Are you incapable or just unwilling to find the few bright spots on the field this afternoon?

KC2004 09-09-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz
Good

punting was good
kick coverages were good
defense was decent
run game was decent

Bad

kicking game sucked
passing game sucked
coaching pretty much sucked

Quoted for the truth.

/agreed

gblowfish 09-09-2007 07:05 PM

It's better to look good
Than to feel good.

Smed1065 09-09-2007 07:05 PM

Nice thread.

I also hate the OL by committee because of the old saying of playing together and gelling.

Samie showed some urgency or an unexpected game.

I thought the D did ok considering the turnovers.

Skip Towne 09-09-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun
Are you guys incapable or just unwilling to find the few bright spots on the field this afternoon?

Why would we want to do that?

KC2004 09-09-2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

Are you incapable or just unwilling to find the few bright spots on the field this afternoon?

The whiskey I was drinking was good! Does that count?
ROFL j/k

Mecca 09-09-2007 07:06 PM

I have a hard time saying a lot nice about anyone in the secondary when 1 guy had 142 yards recieving.

banyon 09-09-2007 07:07 PM

Alphonso Boone had a couple of nice series.

Pollard made an outstanding deflection to save a TD after he was :Bartee: by Johnson.

Hali was in Schaub's face most of the game.

Nothing to say about the "O", it was truly putrid.

TN_Chief 09-09-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

The scoreboard is the only bright spot I pay attention to, because it's the only one that matters.

angel 09-09-2007 07:09 PM

Donnie Edwards looked good

ChiefsCountry 09-09-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
I have a hard time saying a lot nice about anyone in the secondary when 1 guy had 142 yards recieving.

Half of that was one play. Other than that Johnson had about 70 yards which isnt that bad.

Direckshun 09-09-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca

All the other WRs had less than 50 yard receiving, though, and that does reflect somewhat nicely on what our secondary was able to achieve.

At what point do you go "AJ's a top 5 WR and a playmaker" and leave it at that?

I don't know. What was the issue containing AJ? Was it him or was it us?

KC2004 09-09-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banyon
Alphonso Boone had a couple of nice series.

Pollard made an outstanding deflection to save a TD after he was :Bartee: by Johnson.

Hali was in Schaub's face most of the game.

Nothing to say about the "O", it was truly putrid.

Pretty much agree with banyon.

Mecca 09-09-2007 07:13 PM

It's going to be a problem all year, Page is a really crappy tackler and WR's with speed go flying right by Pollard when they get into his zone.

Direckshun 09-09-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

The scoreboard is the only bright spot I pay attention to, because it's the only one that matters.

To you, maybe.

There are consolations, and things to consider as positives, when the scoreboard doesn't go your way. You learn something new every game you play, and if you're only focused on two columns your perception of a football is incredibly narrow.

We ain't going to the Super Bowl this year, TN. We're in transition, so this is the year for us to figure out what needs to go and what needs to stay. This thread is about the latter.

Edit: I hope you're 13, because I shouldn't have to explain this to a grown adult.

Chiefnj2 09-09-2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

To you, maybe.

There are consolations, and things to consider as positives, when the scoreboard doesn't go your way. You learn something new every game you play, and if you're only focused on two columns your perception of a football is incredibly narrow.

We ain't going to the Super Bowl this year, TN. We're in transition, so this is the year for us to figure out what needs to go and what needs to stay. This thread is about the latter.

Transition to sucking worse than usual. Not a transition to youth.

TN_Chief 09-09-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

To you, maybe.

Edit: I hope you're 13, because I shouldn't have to explain this to a grown adult.

Oh...so they're charging less for tickets then, right? Replica jersey prices have been slashed? Because we're "in transition", we make the playoffs if we get 6 wins?

What shouldn't need to be explained to an adult is that "moral victories" don't cut it. "Moral victories" are for children...where everyone gets a ribbon just for trying, even the kid with Downs. You want to sit around in a circle jerk with Carl and Herm because Bowe caught 3 balls? Have a nice time. I'll be over here with the grownups.

In the adult world, you get the job done or you don't. End. Of. Story.

DeezNutz 09-09-2007 07:29 PM

I thought McIntosh played pretty well. Big improvement over Svitek, though I realize Mac wasn't in there 100 percent of the time.

Blindside58 09-09-2007 07:39 PM

I waited 5 1/2 hours to log on because I cannot stand all of the nay sayers...I am glad this thread was here when I finally did. We stopped ourselves most of the time. The first series got me pretty stoked until the missed FG.
I think only 2 plays set up this loss. Drummond fumble..which he looked better than any other return guy we've had lately after the mishap and Bigfoots fumble which was brought the crowd into the second half immediately...and kept the ball out of our offenses hands.
I am still gonna be there next sunday thinking we have a chance against the bears, who by the way, looked pretty inept offensively and looked beatable.

El Jefe 09-09-2007 07:48 PM

Alfonso Boone was a Pro Bowler today he was everywhere, but it was the Texans.

munkey 09-09-2007 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindside58
I am still gonna be there next sunday thinking we have a chance against the bears, who by the way, looked pretty inept offensively and looked beatable.

ROFL

Yep...Bears 3 Chiefs 0.

What makes you think we can move the ball against the Bears with what you witnessed today? Give me a break.

J Diddy 09-09-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Oh...so they're charging less for tickets then, right? Replica jersey prices have been slashed? Because we're "in transition", we make the playoffs if we get 6 wins?

What shouldn't need to be explained to an adult is that "moral victories" don't cut it. "Moral victories" are for children...where everyone gets a ribbon just for trying, even the kid with Downs. You want to sit around in a circle jerk with Carl and Herm because Bowe caught 3 balls? Have a nice time. I'll be over here with the grownups.

Do you think this team can win the superbowl?

I don't

With some key additions we can be contenders, defense is coming around bottom line is we are changing the philosophy going more towards the draft than free agency. with that come rookie mistakes middle round drafts don't get you studs

we have to take risks we might not win a game, but i'll be there I'll take a 1 win season for a joe montana for 15 years

TEX 09-09-2007 08:00 PM

The Chiefs got beat by a better team (that is average) today every which way. It was so bad that no part of the Chiefs game was better than the Texans. They got beat in the trenches, Special Teams, turnovers, coaching, etc. Shoot, Mario Williams even had his "coming out" party at our expense. The Chiefs are easily one of the 3 worst teams in the league.

munkey 09-09-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy
we have to take risks we might not win a game, but i'll be there I'll take a 1 win season for a joe montana for 15 years

:spock:

teedubya 09-09-2007 08:03 PM

I got some nice work done during the second half. Does that count?

PunkinDrublic 09-09-2007 08:11 PM

I think our defense broke down because our offense couldn't keep them off the field. Their running game basically wore us down.

Demonpenz 09-09-2007 08:26 PM

DJ looked good.

Simply Red 09-09-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey
Chiefs still rock.

"Phhhhtttt!" Inhale/exhale "I just got an ounce in da mail."

Simply Red 09-09-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz
DJ looked good.

Indeed he did.

Spott 09-09-2007 08:32 PM

Well, at least we got to wear red. It was all downhill from there.

Direckshun 09-09-2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

What are you talking about?

I'm not passing out any ribbons. I'm not applauding the Chiefs' performance today. I wasn't happy with it. I was incredibly frustrated with it. But that doesn't mean I just start shitting on the team with abandon, casting the entire team off as losers and reduce the spectrum of reality to wins and losses -- you're completely wrong because in the adult world things are not that exclusively divided.

You want to say the team's entire performance was awful because they racked up an L, go ahead, but that's an almost unbearable way to handle sports.

But that's just differences in our approach. You solely care about the bottom line and I care about a whole lot more. Either way, you obviously don't belong in this thread.

Deberg_1990 09-09-2007 08:37 PM

I thought overall the O line played decent today. Huard was pretty well protected for the most part and when we ran, we gained yards.

The D played pretty good overall as well. We only gave up 1 TD. Still not alot of a pass rush from the front 4 overall except for Boone. Where is Hali? He disappears alot.

Derrick Johnson and Donnie Edwards looked very good.

Rasputin 09-09-2007 08:37 PM

Tamba Hali appeared to be double teamed most of the time, getting JA back will be a huge boost to this team.

Bowe is going to be a stud WR.

"Playaction pass deep", would do wonders for this team.

carlos3652 09-09-2007 08:39 PM

Bowe made a great catch (and got into position for it) and held on after getting hit.. I really like thi kid...

For some reason it just seamed that the Texans Defense was hitting really hard all day long...

HypnotizedMonkey 09-09-2007 08:46 PM

we looked pretty solid until Dreadlock missed the FG .. after that, pure garbage. Glad I didn't waste any money traveling to this one.

Archie Bunker 09-09-2007 08:46 PM

Positives
-McIntosh
-Webb & Bowe getting extended playing time
-Boone
-The LBs
-Colquitt

Negitives
-Playcalling/Coaching-They HAVE to start attacking downfield
-MEDLOCK

Once the D gets Allen back and the Chiefs turn LJ loose I think this team will be competitive. 6 or 7 wins.

unlurking 09-09-2007 08:53 PM

I'm resigned to this being a "rebuilding" year, so one of the things I want to pay attention to is the improvements our team makes over the season. I guess I'm a "semi-optimist", as I do think we will get better and will be reading threads like this over the season (after the fan in me gets over the loss). Thanks for starting this thread.

My thoughts...

1) I think our defense did pretty damn well, considering they seemed to be on the field constantly. Pass coverage was rather inconsistent, but the run defense was pretty stout.
2) Bowe, while inconsistent, showed why we drafted him. I think he's going to be a star.
3) While Medlock had almost no hang time on our kicks, our coverage team still did a pretty good job.
4) While I didn't concentrate on our O-line, it seemed much better than last season. Huard's first sack was his own fault for panicing and running into the back of his lineman.
5) Larry looked good, and despite the "run,run,pass,punt" stigma, I would really have liked to see more of him. He also seemed open several times for passes, and I was surprised Huard didn't go to him.

PunkinDrublic 09-09-2007 09:00 PM

Medlock only missed one field goal today. Seriously I was at the game today and had to talk myself out of going down to the sideline and kicking his ass.

dtebbe 09-09-2007 09:21 PM

That #70 dude (Boone?) was a beast inside today.

McInstosh made me do a couple double takes today wearing #77

DT

unlurking 09-09-2007 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic
Medlock only missed one field goal today. Seriously I was at the game today and had to talk myself out of going down to the sideline and kicking his ass.

You know, I wouldn't be so angry about the missed field goals if he could actually BOOM a kick-off. All I heard about this guy (and still hear from people on this board), was that he had a monster leg. I'm just not seeing ANY of what this guy was supposed to be.

blueballs 09-09-2007 09:31 PM

Samie is coming home to KC a man
and will impregnate your daughters
dancing bananas - dancing bananas

BigRock 09-09-2007 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtebbe
McInstosh made me do a couple double takes today wearing #77

Yeah, there was one play where McIntosh got out as the lead blocker on a running play that was almost creepy to watch. Big #77 out there leading the way, I thought I was having a flashback.

(I'm not saying he played anywhere near as good as Roaf, although he did do pretty good. It was just weird seeing a #77 out there again making those moves.)

Buehler445 09-10-2007 12:47 AM

Good thread DK. I like the thoughts. I agree with all positive points made so far but would like to add the following:

I thought the playcalling was much improved over last year. They called a trick play even!! Overall much more balanced pass:run ratio. I LIKE THAT. If we can learn to catch, we might actually get some of teh defenders out of the box.

Kick coverage as a whole was better than in the past. Much better.

Brackenridge played well after Surtain got a case of the brokens. IIRC, he forced a fumble. I remember his name being called during the play.

Colquitt continues to rock the shizzle.

We didn't wiff too many tackles. <---THIS IS NEW

Donnie Edwards blitzed well. I wasn't expecting too much of that. Overall, I thought the blitz package was balanced and effective. Shaub did a nice job of reading it, but outside of Bell getting destroyed by the LT on one of them, the blitzed were ran effectively.

O-line played much better than I expected. Part of it is that Houston is bad, but there was no reason our passing game should not have been effective in this game. <----Also NEW

Logical 09-10-2007 12:52 AM

Quote:

It wasn't all pain.

Well, it was almost entirely pain.

But it wasn't all pain. There were very limited bright spots, so let's take a thread and man up, and try to enumerate the few positive things that occurred in this game, big and small.

Here are some that I've got:
  • Michael Bennett once again looked really good today. Not only was he agile and fast, but he was impressively powerful as well -- he freakin' plowed a DB in the second half. If MB can stay healthy, LJ's carries will drop almost a century mark this year.
  • LJ had about half a workload today, and his numbers looked pretty good. Doesn't look like he's lost much of a step.
  • Jason Dunn's still got a season in him, at LEAST. Some of the blocks he threw today show he hasn't slowed down much at all.
  • Samie Parker and Bowe performed far above expectations. Parker's showing that he may, JUST MAY be a viable #2. If Bowe takes it from him, however, he's earned the right to remain a #3.
  • I hate the very concept of "left tackle by committee," which seems to be what we did today, but I'll be damned if Svitek and McIntosh didn't do a good job today. That performance dropped dramatically until we got behind, but there you go.
  • Eddie Drummond's returning wasn't good, but he might just be a valuable special teams player on the other side of the ball. He had a fantastic coverage tackle early in the game.
  • Excepting the 77 yard bomb to Andre Johnson (who just happens to be a top 5 WR in the NFL), Page & Pollard looked very good today. Both look good in run support, Page read Schaub like a vet, and Pollard saved a touchdown with a very athletic deflection.
  • DJ continues to excel in coverage. He's elite at that particular ability by my estimation.
  • Alphonso Boone. WHO IS THIS MAN!? The guy played like a man possessed today. Two sacks, a monstrous tackle behind the line of scrimmage. He was a great acquisition this offseason and he's going to be a great influence on the youngsters.
  • Darche doesn't seem to have any problems whatsoever with his snaps that I've noticed. It's up to Medlock now to get a checkup from the neck up.

I will agree with all that and add that the linebacker play was decent and the Defensive line play against the run improved.

DaneMcCloud 09-10-2007 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Doom
I will agree with all that and add that the linebacker play was decent and the Defensive line play against the run improved.

Gotta hold you to this, Dr. Doom.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...94#post4204194

Hammock Parties 09-10-2007 12:57 AM

What trick play did we call?

ChiefsCountry 09-10-2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOATSE
What trick play did we call?

I guess that reverse to EK to open the game.

Hammock Parties 09-10-2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry

A reverse doesn't really count....we opened the season with a reverse last year, BTW.

Troy1220 09-10-2007 03:24 AM

We open every freakin' game with the end around or fake end around...every freakin game!!

Troy

el borracho 09-10-2007 06:02 AM

where did the Chiefs look good?

The D only allowed 13 points, 7 of which came on a mistake. Still might have a good chance of fielding a top ten D this year.

Logical 09-10-2007 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud

You lost me Dane, I was talking offense in the linked post and here I am talking defense.

Katie 09-10-2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

No, that's not it. There was one in the second quarter (I think) that was a legitimate Trick play...don't know what it is called...somebody, besides me, must have seen it?

Buehler445 09-10-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOATSE
A reverse doesn't really count....we opened the season with a reverse last year, BTW.

It is compared to LJ up the middle.

Thig Lyfe 09-10-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Darche had one bad snap early in the game, Colquitt saved him.

Colquitt = The Greatest.

Frazod 09-10-2007 07:18 PM

This reminds me of another disaster...

1 Attachment(s)
Let's look at this thing from a... um, from a standpoint of status. What do we got on the spacecraft that's good?

Rain Man 09-10-2007 09:15 PM

I was pleased with....

LJ. He's still LJ.
Parker. Gotta say it. He made catches.
McIntosh. I thought he played well overall.
Wilkerson. He's a legitimate starting DE.
Boone. Wow. He's pretty good.
DJ. He was covering a lot of gaps in there.
Colquitt. M...V...P.

Guys I was disappointed in.

Bowe. Some good catches, but a lot of drops. 1st round picks shouldn't drop passes.
I'd like to see Waters dominate a little more than he has.
Medlock. Shocked?
I didn't see as much of Tank as I expected, though that will change as he develops.
It seemed like Sapp got beat a few times, though he also made some plays.